[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
The Beatles — Savoy Truffle
Album: White Album
Avg rating:
7.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 683









Released: 1968
Length: 2:53
Plays (last 30 days): 1
Creme tangerine, Montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
Coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge really blows down those blues (whoo)
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
When the pain cuts through
You're gonna know, and how!
The sweat is gonna fill your head (whoa)
When it becomes too much, you'll shout aloud

But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You know that what you eat you are
But what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know [[The Beatles:Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da|o-bla-di-bla-da]]
But can you show me where you are?

Creme tangerine and Montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
Coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news (whoo)
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle
Yes, you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle
Comments (134)add comment
 Stefen wrote:
George Harrison's Savoy Truffles:

4 T butter
1 egg yolk
½ C icing sugar, sifted
½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T vanilla extract
1 T brandy
dessicated coconut

In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt butter and whisk in the egg yolk until thick, add sugar and whisk until smooth. Add brandy and vanilla extract. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until chips are completely melted and mixture is smooth and no longer glossy. Transfer to a glass container and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut. 

 
Perhaps the finest comment I've ever read on RP.  Screw the already sky high triglycerides number....  I'm giving this a go this weekend. Thanks Stefan!
 kingart wrote:
Not one of the Fab's better tracks. Uninspired. It lacks many of their trademarks, like melody and hooks and witty rhymes. This is filler.
 

I fully agree.

But an 8 though; just because it's The Beatles? No. This is "Acceptable" because it's The Beatles.
Not one of the Fab's better tracks. Uninspired. It lacks many of their trademarks, like melody and hooks and witty rhymes. This is filler. I give it an 8...just because. It's not a whole leap above a 6. Sorry, gents. 
Everybody Here thinks this song is a beach!

Everybody in my church thinks this song is delicious...
 
The cut is a trifle — but also a testament to the arc of a band from Slow Down to this in only five years. Beyond amazing. Even given Martin's studio recording tricks and overdubs, all the money and time and the lack of necessity to prep for touring, the progression of sound and content in half a decade from She Loves You to Savoy Truffle knocks every other band that ever existed right out of the category.  
Love the buzzy saxes on this one. Great sound
love the tune - bad for my diet
a great tune!
I remember grooving to this jamming little ditty my friend would bring over to slap down on Dad's Garrard turntable after school...it was already almost a decade old but it blew us away every time...we were just getting first tastes of weed — and wondering what THESE GUYS were on (and wishing we had some!)...DIG IT!
Off to get my Ritter Sport. Yum Yum.
{#Bananapiano}       A tasty shroom!
 Cynaera wrote:
Off to the store for coconut ande semi-sweet chocolate chips....  Believe it or not, I'd NEVER heard this song before.  Did John say "Green Tangerine" or "Green Tambourine"? 

I bet these truffles would be wonderful rolled in unsweetened cocoa powder, or cinnamon-sugar, or powdered sugar, or crushed almonds, or...
 


Miss you so much, Ann...


rest in peace... 
 weena wrote:

It's because the producer made them "stereo" cheaply, as stereo was becoming popular. it wasn't an on-purpose artsy thing. Now you can buy the music remastered, and in true stereo.
 
This album was recorded in "true" stereo.  There was nothing done "cheaply" - The Beatles and EMI were using very expensive, state-of-the art equipment in 1968.   As mentioned earlier, most things George Martin and The Beatles did in the studio were "on-purpose, artsy" things.
Not my favorite 'George'...off a not so great Beatles album. Tons of filler on the White Album.
 weena wrote:

It's because the producer made them "stereo" cheaply, as stereo was becoming popular. it wasn't an on-purpose artsy thing. Now you can buy the music remastered, and in true stereo.
 
Correction: *everything* George Martin (the producer in question) did was an "on-purpose artsy thing".  That's 'cuz he was, you know, an artist.

Oh, and the remastered version features the same stereo mix — quirky by todays standards, but definitely "artsy". 
Thanks for taking me back to high school in my mind!

{#Dancingbanana}
 Cynaera wrote:
Off to the store for coconut ande semi-sweet chocolate chips....  Believe it or not, I'd NEVER heard this song before. 
 

What??  No way.

This song is just ok for The Beatles, eh I give it an 8.
 echasse wrote:
a lot of their songs do this! LOVE them!

 
jnhashmi wrote:
Didn't realize that all the vocals are in one channel only until just now. If you take the right earbud out, it's an instrumental. Not even light ghost vocals - nothing. Never heard of this before. Of course, it would be the Beatles doing this.
 
 
It's because the producer made them "stereo" cheaply, as stereo was becoming popular. it wasn't an on-purpose artsy thing. Now you can buy the music remastered, and in true stereo.


We be dancing...  love it...

 helgigermany wrote:

as you say...
 


Yes, I agree with both of us!  Love it...

 

 Stefen wrote:
George Harrison's Savoy Truffles:

4 T butter
1 egg yolk
½ C icing sugar, sifted
½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T vanilla extract
1 T brandy
dessicated coconut

In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt butter and whisk in the egg yolk until thick, add sugar and whisk until smooth. Add brandy and vanilla extract. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until chips are completely melted and mixture is smooth and no longer glossy. Transfer to a glass container and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut. 

  Off to the store for coconut ande semi-sweet chocolate chips....  Believe it or not, I'd NEVER heard this song before.  Did John say "Green Tangerine" or "Green Tambourine"? 

I bet these truffles would be wonderful rolled in unsweetened cocoa powder, or cinnamon-sugar, or powdered sugar, or crushed almonds, or...


 romeotuma wrote:


love it...


 
as you say...

 midreaming wrote:
 .... But for now we're forced to respond or be vaporized. Oh, and we can see from the video screen the captain of the Alien ship is wearing a Velvet Underground t-shirt and a George-Clinton-like hair weave, if that helps... Suggestions?
 
Yeah, share some of those drugs, dude.
Unbelievable. It's been 40 YEARS. Sounds fresh as if it were last month. I'm grateful - so grateful - to have lived through the Beatle era.
I love this song, and I love this album(s).  Now I'll read the rest of the thread to see how far I'm out of context.
Been enjoying more and more of the George Harrison Beatle material lately. Somewhat overlooked and under rated in my opinion.


love it...


 midreaming wrote:
... for now we're forced to respond or be vaporized. Oh, and we can see from the video screen the captain of the Alien ship is wearing a Velvet Underground t-shirt and a George-Clinton-like hair weave, if that helps... Suggestions?

 Somebody's gonna say Beethoven's 9th   I just know it..   With Dennis Hoppers last moments in "True Romance" in mind I'd like to suggest we start w/ Beck's incomparable Stereopathetic Soul Manure. It's bold, honest, ‘looks down the barrel of the gun, ..with a coke and a smile.  rock and roll.

  I realize there's an unexplainable dearth of imagination ( i don't understand it) here but c'mon people.. anything? ENeeeething. Anything but the you know  JPG.ringo jingo band..(whew. gotta be careful how I say that)

Hey that's a catchy name. Sounds like a 80's 90's outdoor concert jam band. HaHaaa! they wish right? they couldn't leave the studio with that dog and pony show if they tried. Come to think of it they look kinda cabin-feverish in those last studio sessions.. hmm. The dark ominous cloud of realization slowly rolling in... kinda hard to watch.






such a great parody of the bourgeoisie... love it...

 

 rachlan wrote:

very stupid aliens.   nice t-shirt but otherwise they have crappy taste.

  they're advanced, they have space ships, we don't. And don't act sassy, they might shoot us.

 midreaming wrote:
  Aliens in the sky poised to evaporate the planet with their ray gun, explain that musical expression is the currency of a species' soul (sick, I know) and they demand we answer for all the crappie Beatles music we've been pumping in to the cosmic airwaves. To avoid annihilation we have to submit 5 works for their consideration. Any mention of the Beatles or their music will set the gun off immediately. A brutal form of the great American Wild West jurisprudence (payback for rocky raccoon I suspect) they pay later for, and dearly, on their karmic wheel. But for now we're forced to respond or be vaporized. Oh, and we can see from the video screen the captain of the Alien ship is wearing a Velvet Underground t-shirt and a George-Clinton-like hair weave, if that helps... Suggestions?

 Somebody's gonna say Beethoven's 9th   I just know it..   With Dennis Hoppers last moments in "True Romance" in mind I'd like to suggest we start w/ Beck's incomparable Stereophonic Soul Manure. It's bold, honest, ‘looks down the barrel of the gun, ..with a coke and a smile.  rock and roll.



 
very stupid aliens.   nice t-shirt but otherwise they have crappy taste.

  Aliens in the sky poised to evaporate the planet with their ray gun, explain that musical expression is the currency of a species' soul (sick, I know) and they demand we answer for all the crappie Beatles music we've been pumping in to the cosmic airwaves. To avoid annihilation we have to submit 5 works for their consideration. Any mention of the Beatles or their music will set the gun off immediately. A brutal form of the great American Wild West jurisprudence (payback for rocky raccoon I suspect) they pay later for, and dearly, on their karmic wheel. But for now we're forced to respond or be vaporized. Oh, and we can see from the video screen the captain of the Alien ship is wearing a Velvet Underground t-shirt and a George-Clinton-like hair weave, if that helps... Suggestions?

 Somebody's gonna say Beethoven's 9th   I just know it..   With Dennis Hoppers last moments in "True Romance" in mind I'd like to suggest we start w/ Beck's incomparable Stereopathetic Soul Manure. It's bold, honest, ‘looks down the barrel of the gun, ..with a coke and a smile.  rock and roll.




 Stefen wrote:
What is a Savoy Truffle?
 
From Wikipedia:
"Harrison wrote the song as a tribute to his friend Eric Clapton's chocolate addiction, and indeed he derived the title and many of the lyrics from a box of Mackintosh Good News chocolates. Supposedly all of the candy names used in the song are authentic except cherry cream and coconut fudge. The chorus ("But you'll have to have them all pulled out after the savoy truffle") refers to the state of the consumer's teeth after eating the aforementioned confection."
 jimbaca wrote:


Just a guess:  a pastry?
 
I pulled my post and posted an on-line recipe instead.
 Stefen wrote:
What is a Savoy Truffle?
 

Just a guess:  a pastry?
George Harrison's Savoy Truffles:

4 T butter
1 egg yolk
½ C icing sugar, sifted
½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T vanilla extract
1 T brandy
dessicated coconut

In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt butter and whisk in the egg yolk until thick, add sugar and whisk until smooth. Add brandy and vanilla extract. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until chips are completely melted and mixture is smooth and no longer glossy. Transfer to a glass container and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in coconut. 

 Netto wrote:
+100
 


Yes, I wish we had special extra numbers to rate Beatles songs...  this one is soooo good...

 

 jimbaca wrote:
Who's doing the brass in this song?  I love it!
 
They are probably session players. The horn charts were written by budding—now legendary—producer, Chris Thomas, who'd just been hired by George Martin while producing The Beatles (White Album). Further info at: https://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0jfexqwgldje~T1 and on a Procol Harum site: https://www.procolharum.com/chris_thomas3.htm.


love it...




This is a great song...


Rotten luck losing 2 Beatles so young.
One of George's quirky songs that I love - especially those saxophones swinging in the background.
 woozurbuddy wrote:

White Album?  Automatic 10, Brother....{#Wink}

 

Yes!  And this song is fantastic...


a lot of their songs do this! LOVE them!

 
jnhashmi wrote:
Didn't realize that all the vocals are in one channel only until just now. If you take the right earbud out, it's an instrumental. Not even light ghost vocals - nothing. Never heard of this before. Of course, it would be the Beatles doing this.
 


Didn't realize that all the vocals are in one channel only until just now. If you take the right earbud out, it's an instrumental. Not even light ghost vocals - nothing. Never heard of this before. Of course, it would be the Beatles doing this.
one of my alltime fav beatles songs!

Does anybody know who is responsible for the brass in this song?


Rock on.
 romeotuma wrote:


love it love it love it...
 



+100
Men of distinguishment and Honor.


love it love it love it...




This song is soooo good for the ears...


 lemmoth wrote:

Not getting the Beatles because it wasn't the "music of my youth" is a ridiculous statement.  Just ask any Beatle lover born afer 1970 - their are tens of millions of them I believe.

 
You're exactly on target. I saw Paul at Coachella on 4/17/09. Me and about 100,000 other people, from very young children to folks older than Paul (66! What are them old folks doing out that late!?!).

We were all singing along, and having the time of our lives. There's no age barrier with The Beatles. You either "get it", or you don't.

I feel for those who don't. {#Stupid}



awesome song...




love it...




Great song from the White Album!


Who's doing the brass in this song?  I love it!
Personally Savoy Truffle is one of my favorites on this album  

Hey check this out.  It is really cool.  Some restaurants in Houston are having some sort of contest to make the best Savoy Truffle.  Apparently it ties into a benefit event where some bands are playing the entire White Album.  
https://lovestreetlightcircus.org/events/savoy-truffle/


 lsherida wrote:


Good thing musical taste is so objective that one could make that determination. :)

But seriously. I really don't "get" the Beatles, or Hendrix, for that matter. Maybe it's because I have no soul. Maybe because it's because I didn't grow up around that time and haven't associated that music with my youth. Maybe it's because I couldn't be a musician to save my life.
 
Not getting the Beatles because it wasn't the "music of my youth" is a ridiculous statement.  Just ask any Beatle lover born afer 1970 - their are tens of millions of them I believe.

1963?  I don't think so.

 

So did George ever go trout fishing with Eric?  Just curious.

 

BTW, relative to chocolate and opiates, I highly recommend trout fishing.


Playlist page says the white album came out in 1963. Of course it came out in 1968. For the next several years it was a revelation to anyone who listened to it with an open mind. Number nine...
 EssexTex wrote:
But they sure play a mean pin ball!
 
You owe me a new keyboard!

ruthless wrote:
Especially his sweet wife, Patty!
You mean Patti.
I love Harrison's contributions to The White Album. Especially "Piggies".
fab4fan wrote:
There is *Definitely* something wrong with this person and any of the other deaf and dumb people who are thankfully in the minority!
But they sure play a mean pin ball!
From Wikipedia: "Harrison wrote the song as a tribute to his friend Eric Clapton's chocolate addiction, and indeed he derived the title and many of the lyrics from a box of Mackintosh Good News chocolates. Supposedly all of the candy names used in the song are authentic except cherry cream and coconut fudge. The chorus ("But you'll have to have them all pulled out after the savoy truffle") refers to the state of the consumer's teeth after eating the aforementioned confection."
amazing. These guys' creativity is still unmatched.
hippiechick wrote:
This song was written by George for Eric Clapton, who apparently went for the sweets in a big way.
Especially his sweet wife, Patty!
CCinSB wrote:
is there something wrong with you?
There is *Definitely* something wrong with this person and any of the other deaf and dumb people who are thankfully in the minority!
meloman wrote:
Absolutely!!!
:cheers: :cheers: Right on so true thank you both!
lily33 wrote:
one of my favorite lost beatles tunes, along with I'm Only Sleeping, as i see you have in your rotation, too. sure, this may not be anything but fun, but isn't music just about that sometimes? :)
The Beatles, if anything else, was all about FUN!!! Why do you think they were so beloved by the world? :sunny:
lsherida wrote:
Good thing musical taste is so objective that one could make that determination. :) But seriously. I really don't "get" the Beatles, or Hendrix, for that matter. Maybe it's because I have no soul. Maybe because it's because I didn't grow up around that time and haven't associated that music with my youth. Maybe it's because I couldn't be a musician to save my life.
How sad for you to go through life with no magic to tickle your inner child!!! :sad:
Possibly the only Beatles song that I can rate less than a 5 with a clear conscience (not considering rev#9 a song). George wrote some incredible tunes, but there was a reason his contribution was limited to two cuts per album.
The Beatles are EASILY my favorite band, and this is one of their songs that just brings out a "meh" in me. "She's Leaving Home" and "Thank You Girl" are another two.
calray wrote:
you have no soul. i looked at your lowest rated songs.
Good thing musical taste is so objective that one could make that determination. :) But seriously. I really don't "get" the Beatles, or Hendrix, for that matter. Maybe it's because I have no soul. Maybe because it's because I didn't grow up around that time and haven't associated that music with my youth. Maybe it's because I couldn't be a musician to save my life.
CCinSB wrote:
is there something wrong with you?
Very likely.
lsherida wrote:
Not so bad. This is the only Beatles song that I think I rated greater than a 5. (or a 2, for that matter.)
you have no soul. i looked at your lowest rated songs.
Groovalicious! :dance:
This song was written by George for Eric Clapton, who apparently went for the sweets in a big way.
lsherida wrote:
Not so bad. This is the only Beatles song that I think I rated greater than a 5. (or a 2, for that matter.)
is there something wrong with you?
Not so bad. This is the only Beatles song that I think I rated greater than a 5. (or a 2, for that matter.)
Now you're talkin' How about 'Sexy Sadie' next?? :clap:
bronorb wrote:
Anything from the White Album is godlike!!!
You got that right. (Well, to be honest I could live without "Don't Pass Me By" and "Good Night")
This was my latest 5-star rating on my iPod :)
I've never heard this song before, and in truth I wish that state of affairs had continued... ;-|
ploafmaster wrote:
So great! Just bumped from a 7 to an 8!
And then from an 8 to a 9!
Anything from the White Album is godlike!!!
wow, a beatles song that is NOT from the stars-on-45 vegas production.
George penned this as a poke at, and send-up about, his bud Eric, who has a viscious sweet tooth, and who was helping record the white album with the B's. George said he got all the names from Eric's stash: a box of chocolates ''with names like prostitutes'' (to paraphrase Tom Waits from his song Ninth and Hennepin.) The line ''You'll have to get them all pulled out after the Savoy Truffle'' refers to Eric's teeth after he eats the sweest sweet of them all. Of course, George and Eric both loved to eat the same sweetie: Patti Boyd--but probably at different times.
GRACIAS! :biggrin:
So great! Just bumped from a 7 to an 8!
"You know that what you eat you are..." What a great sugar-pop song! I'm dancin!
and let's not forget about the keys, too! beautiful.
Synth80s wrote:
I hadn't heard this song in a long time until it came on this morning on RP. Damn, this is one tasty track! When people ask me why I'm such a devout Beatles worshipper, I always tell them the same thing: they did everything and they did everything well. How many bands could have stuffed this song on the same album that contains "Sexy Sadie," "Martha My Dear," Helter Skelter" and "Rocky Raccoon?" Any one of those tracks would have been a pinnacle achievement, a landmark for another band. Once again, damn! -Synth80s
Absolutely!!!
chasech5 wrote:
Damn, this sax line cooks.
Fun to play, too. A buddy has arranged it for a couple of bands I play in.
A wonderful gem from the Beatles that flies under almost everyone's radar. George was always my favorite, and this song is a strong reason why. "We all know Obla-Di-Bla-Da." Damn, this sax line cooks.
Such a fun, quirky song of George's! :propeller:
Hannio wrote:
Not every rock and roll tune is about drugs or sex, you know.
Nah...just the good ones! :propeller:
I hadn't heard this song in a long time until it came on this morning on RP. Damn, this is one tasty track! When people ask me why I'm such a devout Beatles worshipper, I always tell them the same thing: they did everything and they did everything well. How many bands could have stuffed this song on the same album that contains "Sexy Sadie," "Martha My Dear," Helter Skelter" and "Rocky Raccoon?" Any one of those tracks would have been a pinnacle achievement, a landmark for another band. Once again, damn! -Synth80s
Sweat's gonna fill your head.
Sa·voy A historical region and former duchy of southeast France, western Switzerland, and northwest Italy. The region changed hands many times after its conquest by Julius Caesar and became a duchy in the early 15th century. In 1720 the duke of Savoy gained the title king of Sardinia, and in 1861 the Savoyard Victor Emmanuel II ascended the throne of the newly formed kingdom of Italy. Much of the original territory was ceded to France at the same time.
Way ahead of there time. I love these guys. :bananajumprope:
:sunny: :bounce: :cowboy: :sunny: :cowboy: :bounce: :sunny: Does it get better than this? If someone came out with this song today it would be a huge hit. These guys are forever. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
my teeth hurt, and not in a good way.
I played saxaphone in the high school band when this song was out, and I got our tenor sax and bari sax to copy this groovy sax riff.
Hannio wrote:
Not every rock and roll tune is about drugs or sex, you know.
Exactly! This song is about really high quality mushrooms! Wait...
ezzyme wrote:
Only need to think of the sugar cube soked in LSD.
Not every rock and roll tune is about drugs or sex, you know.
so good. any beatles is good for me.
love the gee-tar in this!
The day The White Album was released, a bunch of us in a study group were cramming for an English Lit mid-term the next day. We must have played the whole thing through half a dozen times before the night was over. We all aced the test. Had to be the music. :propeller.gif:
Only need to think of the sugar cube soked in LSD. trekhead wrote:
Good tune... but I quite nearly get a tooth ache imagining those hyper sweets. Like the sugar cube, imbedded in a marshmallow, drizzled with all 3 chocolates, caramel, jimmies, and dusted with powder sugar, served up in a nest of cotton candy. Say Ahhhhh.... wider.
Talk about hard to get through, I have to hear this song in the equivalent of high def after growing up with it on a HiFi console that fuzzed the original vinyl. And I LOVED it then...
Great song. Great album, especially through headphones. Always gets me the way they recorded some songs on this album at a low volume and then the next song will be much louder and scare you out of your headphones - if you're not paying attention.
Good tune... but I quite nearly get a tooth ache imagining those hyper sweets. Like the sugar cube, imbedded in a marshmallow, drizzled with all 3 chocolates, caramel, jimmies, and dusted with powder sugar, served up in a nest of cotton candy. Say Ahhhhh.... wider.
Aaaahh. Thank you. One of my all-time underappreciated favorites from George. Sounds s o g o o d. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :music:
etwilson wrote:
As someone who once ripped out a filling by eating a toffee, this song hit's a little to close to home. Oww!
been there, done that!
Here in my college, there's an American Studies class that studies a different decade every quarter. This quarter the class studied the 60's and one of the required materials was the white album. Too bad I didn't get into the class... That said, this is one of my favs from the white album, which, as many have said, tended to be a hit or miss *coughrevolution9cough* album.
This ROCKS! It's nice hearing the Beatles having some fun and letting it loose. An incredible band, even their throwaways are terrific... :tongue: