[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Avicii — Wake Me Up
Album: True
Avg rating:
4.9

Your rating:
Total ratings: 959









Released: 2013
Length: 4:02
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start

They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me

[2x]
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
Hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don't have any plans

Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize

[2x]
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

Didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know (didn't know, didn't know)
Comments (204)add comment
Why do i feel like I am watching a recommended YouTube video when I hear this?
Certainly did not expect to hear this over here. We got to "enjoy" it 'til we barf on every other tv/radio station. I tought RP was commercial free . Long live RP!
 ziakut wrote:
4.7 Average score? Really?
 

Numbers cannot hide ignorance. 
I keep waiting for the millennial whoop!
Thank you for playing Avicii, I am not his fan but my son is and since I play RP at home its nice way for now days teens to engage, 
RIP Tim, but i will give you a 1... you don't have anything to do with this channel :(
  Why such a low rating?  I gave it a 7 because it is a happy tune.  #dancingatmydesk  
I'd never heard this song before.  I gave it a '1' not because it's overplayed elsewhere, but because it sucks.
Is there a way to wake him up as he kindly asks to?
The song is  ok but doesnt fit to paradise radio I must say
RIP Avicii, such a short life, hope they have a good DJ up there in heaven :)
"bleeding ear" emoji not found
A  20 for the lyrics !

You were smoking something?

Jeez, have any of you read up on this guy?
Did you know that despite his commercial success he suffered from depression and alcoholism?
Did you know by the time of this death both his appendix and gallbladder had been removed due to his drinking?

Tim Bergling committed suicide at 28.
I love this song.  It reminds me of one of my happiest moments watching the fireworks with a girl I was really into in 2015.  This was one of the songs they played along with the show.
 burdell wrote:
I really like it. So there. If it bothers you so, the PSD button is your friend.

BTW, this is the number one song in the world this fall. For a reason. 
 

I hear ya, for a reason, no doubt!

Just NOT the reason I turn to RP!
One month  living on the fringe in CA     the chorus  rang with my CA quickly diminishing bank account   
*** "Eight Hundred Seh - Ven - Tee - Three - Doll- Airs!!'
WTF...
All my kids in my hotel room between the ages 8 and 18 are really stoked to hear this tune on RP.
Nice change of pace, well done. Goes well in such a nice spring day. :)
Not my kind of music. R.I.P. nonetheless!
Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. PSD.
 dora_exploradora wrote:
I registered here just to rate this song. It's awful, please don't do this to us again. Thank you

 
And I've registered here and made a donation ($15) to be able to rate this a 10. {#Cheesygrin}
 robin_at_domani wrote:
please stop this commercial shit!

there's a place for this, and it's not RP! 

 
And first on your list of favourites is....

10 - Donna Summer - I Feel Love 

 
Wtf? Thought I was on the wrong station. Your made your point. But if you really play almost (?) everything, next time pick something less disgusting, please. 

 
Now my 12 year old son can't tell me anymore that on RP they only play stupid music! Thanks! 

And please stop overreacting. It's bad for your health. ;) 
 jessesteinen wrote:
Kudos to Bill for reminding us what eclectic means again. Hint: it is not your specific taste of music.

 
However, crap will always be crap, no matter how eclectic it is. There is good music and there's bad music. The highly discerning RP listeners know sh*t from shinola.
Kudos to Bill for reminding us what eclectic means again. Hint: it is not your specific taste of music.
I can't believe this kind of music is being played on RP.
please NOT play this again..

THX!!
I quite like it. I refuse to apologize.
It's like being stuck in an Austrian apres ski bar. Oompah music meets house. Hideous. Please stop playing this. 
I registered here just to rate this song. It's awful, please don't do this to us again. Thank you
Bill, you must be joking!
True, true...

a_genuine_find wrote:
wake me when it's over

 


robin_at_domani wrote:
please stop this commercial shit!

there's a place for this, and it's not RP! 

 
AGREE!!!
please stop this commercial shit!

there's a place for this, and it's not RP! 

Seriously, f**k this song.

Take the worst 2 things in the world, techno and new country, mix them in a toilet bowl and you get this song; the soundtrack to my personal hell. A hell filled with people with snap-on-racing jackets, no front teeth and glowsticks.


wake me when it's over
oops, a little jittery this morn.
This IS a place to come to when desirous of eclectic listening.  It is nice to, once in a while, hear this one.  (The "last played date is almost two years ago).  Thanks for the variety.
Wat the...? auto play? Someone check the D.J.s pulse.

Does anyone think Bill does this just to see us all get frothed up, panties in a bunch? 
Welcome our hipster overlords!   /sarcasm 
1st time out in almost 2 years for this one here.  

I can't wait to hear it again on Jan. 31, 2018.
Hate stems for overplay I think.  It is not bad but it has been overplayed recently on the radio and at all sorts of events.
I don't have a big problem with this song. But it amazes me that it's still getting play with a 4.7 average rating and hundreds of "1" ratings, more than any other number!
 Spinning_Plates wrote:
I expect a lot more of RP. I don't support this kind of pseudo country-techno dreck. Please remove this from airplay.

 
Well Dick Clark, It's pseudo contry-techno dreck. But it's got a good beat you can pogo to.
Look at all the idiots who don't know who Aloe Blacc is.  While I would have preferred his original to Avicii's version to be played here, many of you are showing your true colors in terms of not even attempting to be well rounded when it comes to certain genres.  Nor are you accepting of a song that has an amazing lyricist featured just because you don't like a certain tempo or beat.  Get over yourselves.  
I guess we need some songs to be the 2s and 3s and so.
Makes the 10s shine even more.

Winter is coming!
I expect a lot more of RP. I don't support this kind of pseudo country-techno dreck. Please remove this from airplay.
I just don't understand the hate for this song. It's upbeat, but to each his own.

Guess most people like the everyday cookie cutter music then.

{#Propeller} 
{#No} ...... just putting the kettle on 
I'm going back to bed. 
wtf? where is a music? 
I listen to rp since 8 years – this is the second song i really don't like.
Still liking this song and it's good to ignore the naysayers. {#Nyah}
11!!! {#Bananapiano}
 aaronm wrote:
Just so we're all clear, I'll recap:

If you hate the song on its merits, that's fine. (I don't, but that's your right. Reasonable people can disagree here.)

If you hate the song because you hear it too much on the Top 40 station you listen to, that's entirely your own fault.

If you hate the song because other people hear it too much on the Top 40 station they listen to, then you're a hipster.

 
I'm in the group that cranks it up when it comes on.
 
I've never listened to a top 40 station by choice. Ever.
 
I don't know those other people.
 
What's a hipster?
I can't help myself - I always crank this tune {#Bananapiano}{#Dancingbanana}
 aaronm wrote:
Just so we're all clear, I'll recap:

If you hate the song on its merits, that's fine. (I don't, but that's your right. Reasonable people can disagree here.)

If you hate the song because you hear it too much on the Top 40 station you listen to, that's entirely your own fault.

If you hate the song because other people hear it too much on the Top 40 station they listen to, then you're a hipster.

 
Nice summation :-)
Just so we're all clear, I'll recap:

If you hate the song on its merits, that's fine. (I don't, but that's your right. Reasonable people can disagree here.)

If you hate the song because you hear it too much on the Top 40 station you listen to, that's entirely your own fault.

If you hate the song because other people hear it too much on the Top 40 station they listen to, then you're a hipster.
repetitive country disco is so bad.
{#Eek} ........ so bad for my ears
 xtalman wrote:

See a lot of comments of being overplayed on radio.  Never heard it on the radio stations I listen to.  Not a bad tune, not deep but who gives a damn.

 
This is the only place where I've heard this song.  I guess this act gets more airplay in Europe and that's where the "overplayed" commentary is coming from..
 adroc wrote:
Dear RP listeners. Because a song has reached mainstream recognition and success and the resulting ubiquity that turns us off, doesn't not mean it's an inherently substandard song. Good music is good music and hipsters suck.

 
It's hilarious. If you have any critical opinion you labeled a hipster now. Good music is good music, and this electro-ho-down is the worst invention since sarin.
 ckcotton wrote:

I completely agree... It this not such an example... This is annoying.... Very very annoying
 
This is one of the most over played songs in rotation on a local FM station in Vancouver.
Wake me up when this shite is over {#Eek}
PSD>>
WOW!! I never thought I'd hear this song on RP!! I'm not complaining huh, I do love this tune :D

BTW, hipsters suck BIG TIME {#Drummer} 
My niece plays this song, which plays constantly on the local dance radio station.  Enough already!
I am also from the UK, and I understand what the others are saying, BUT, as I don't listen to any other music station, I am dependant on RP's output to keep me updated with what is going on as well as what has gone on.

This track did make us all perk up when it first came on, and we looked at each other as if to say "RP playing this?", and then we went back to enjoying it. So long as it doesn't appear too much (remember Coldplay's Clocks) then it is fine with us.

OK, brand me a heretic then...

Oh yes, and they are playing Shaft now, do you recall when we all switched off when that was overplayed when it first came out?

Eclectic guys, eclectic!


 adroc wrote:
Dear RP listeners. Because a song has reached mainstream recognition and success and the resulting ubiquity that turns us off, doesn't not mean it's an inherently substandard song. Good music is good music and hipsters suck.

 
I completely agree... It this not such an example... This is annoying.... Very very annoying
Euuuuwwwww.
This sounds like some awful thing from the '80s.
Pause button is a great idea. Disgusting. 
 rgabriel wrote:

Yes, me too!
 
And me!
It would appear that a lot of negative comments about having this kind of music played on RP is being completely ignored. It would appear RP has sold out. What a great shame.
Dear RP listeners. Because a song has reached mainstream recognition and success and the resulting ubiquity that turns us off, doesn't not mean it's an inherently substandard song. Good music is good music and hipsters suck.
 Jim_Messenger wrote:
Bill/Rebecca.  I hope you take note of your listeners comments.

This Sucko Barfo track is flooding Europe at the moment and can be heard 10 times a day on any
National radio station  ( In the UK that can be up to a dozen stations !).

Us hardened Radio Paradise listeners of nearly 10 years do not want MTV here.
We can get that on the TV and turn off Paradise.    But we don't.

Please return to playing artists who get little or no air play (in the UK).  Continue
to play tracks that are more than the 3 or 4 minutes long - designed for the goldfish
listeners.

If you wish I am sure the contributors here can give a list of Who Not To Play.

 

 A little harsh here Jim you should just chill out and hit the PSD button.


Thanks for playing some Avicii!  I like this song a lot, good work music.
Bill/Rebecca.  I hope you take note of your listeners comments.

This Sucko Barfo track is flooding Europe at the moment and can be heard 10 times a day on any
National radio station  ( In the UK that can be up to a dozen stations !).

Us hardened Radio Paradise listeners of nearly 10 years do not want MTV here.
We can get that on the TV and turn off Paradise.    But we don't.

Please return to playing artists who get little or no air play (in the UK).  Continue
to play tracks that are more than the 3 or 4 minutes long - designed for the goldfish
listeners.

If you wish I am sure the contributors here can give a list of Who Not To Play.

 
Please stop playing this imitation Mumford & Sons muck.
I personally appreciate when there are some new songs on here (although this one is mainstream :D). If you listen to RP a lot you notice how often some songs are played - sometimes the same songs for months. Seriously, there is enough good music out there!
The same Euro-pop-crap as the other Avicii "song". {#Frustrated}
Good example of how a bad production or a remix can ruin a (potentially not too bad) song.
 schoelle wrote:
Great courage to offer this song to the RP listeners. I like it!

 
Yes, me too!
Great courage to offer this song to the RP listeners. I like it!
The biggest issue with song is that it is too long, the Play Something Button alternative songs are not long enough to cover this whole track and it always come back! Absolutely dislike that.

Also can't believe it is actually still in the playlist after all these negative comments and ratings. I thought we, the RP listeners, had some input in what kind of music is being played here. A little disappointing the voting system is disregarded here.
If I had a mono speaker on my way up about 20 floors it would be "good," however I'm NOT!  And as such "not good!" {#No}

Do not like

See a lot of comments of being overplayed on radio.  Never heard it on the radio stations I listen to.  Not a bad tune, not deep but who gives a damn.


4.7 Average score? Really?
This song jumped the shark a month ago. Thank goodness for the PSD button. 
Everything about this song makes me want to label it as low-quality tripe not worthy of RP play. . .but the furious foot-tapping happens every single time!!!

Good tune to work to


I can't overstate how much I love this song, both the original and Avicii's version. Glad to hear it here at RP.
I heard this today in the car on the top 40 station...I am not sure what merits the song has
Kill it with fire!

Seriously, house music is one thing but play the passable stuff.  Not this. 
Maybe the acoustic version would be more suited for RP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_o6axAseak

I myself, however, am happy to see that the house version made it into the playlist.
It is a lovely and interesting song that in my opinion doesn't deserve all the bad stuff being said about it in the comments.
Please, take this one OUT of the weekly rotation {#Wall}
 I like your attitude!
iransofaraway wrote:
I think RP is just trolling us, making sure we're listening :)

 


Good gods, it's like the bloody Mumfords playing happy house in a nightclub in Chingford. Urgh.
How can this have an average rating of 4.7? It's got great lyrics, a driving melody and the lead singer has a good voice. Come people, it's Christmastime!
worst. song. ever. seriously radio paradise? is it pop? is it country? is it techno? I don't get it. so trendy anthemy crap. 
I think RP is just trolling us, making sure we're listening :)
Top 40 already claimed this one...and they can keep it.
Musically, it's not horrible, at least at the beginning ... I mean it has the second most common and annoying chord progression in existence but plenty of people have made decent songs out of the ol' 6-4-1-5 before.  The singing is well done and the melody is pretty good...
It's when the production/arrangement takes a turn that I lose all interest.  The four-on-the-floor house beat is just distracting and out of place in this sort of country-ish song and it just goes downhill from there.  The interlude with the over-the-top house lead is just obnoxiously simple and annoying.
I can see how people who are into that kind of music would dig this song, but to me it's like taking an already-simple song and then dumbing it down further by breaking into a "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" chorus in the middle of it.  Too simple and familiar to be interesting for me.
It just dawned on me that this is at least the second time I've logged in on a computer I wasn't logged in on just so I could press PSD on this song.
It's a bit "hold your hands in the air, and shaje em like you just dont care" isn't it?
I like his voice, and the song writing is ok, but whoever produced this should be SHOT, hanged and shot again!

It's Marcus Mumford without his sons. I mean, the banjo is so far back in the mix, I can't even hear it! 
even two hits of Molly would not render this listenable
Okay, within the context of everything else played here, I think this is a pleasant novelty. I'm sticking with my "pretty good" 6.
Average rating of 4.7 - that should tell you something (right, Bill?) PSD {#Redface}
Borat would dig this. The guys in the Kazhaki barberhop on 3d avenue certainly do.
Pap!
{#Sick} Stop it! Turn off! CD trashing!
Okay, it's not great, but it's not that bad. {#Ask} It's funny reading the negative comments, though.
 
The hipster angst in this thread is precious.{#Fight}
I am sooooo tired of this song. Really.
{#Frustrated}
 vito1975 wrote:

Did not see that coming...



 
yes, interesting morning mix, thanx RP
How do you know they play this on "Normal" radio stations then?  

Thanks for your comment, now click on the PSD>> button and let the rest of us enjoy it.


joempie wrote:
I tune in to RP because I've had enough of the 'normal' radio stations. This song feels out of tune in that context. Really doesn't fit here on RP.

 


This is a good song, but overplayed on mainstream stations. So maybe that's why so many are voting it "1". But I vote "5". So there.