[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
I Am Kloot — Even the Stars
Album: Let It All In
Avg rating:
7.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1576









Released: 2013
Length: 3:58
Plays (last 30 days): 2
Did you crack the sky wide open
To find what was inside?
Is it not what you were hoping
Another case of do or die

Did you cross the bridgeless gulf of chatter?
Did you say just one thing that mattered?
Did you skate on the cold water of reason?
Make figure eights on the logic of it's reason?
Even the stars die

In the end, what do things matter?
God knows I'm not unkind
I saw it sparkle and then shatter
God knows I've half a mind

I'm the queen of street-light conversations
Idle dreams, fatal fascinations
Feel the clout, the clamour and the clatter
See the day as the night begins to shatter
Even the stars die

Did you cross the bridgeless gulf of chatter?
Did you say just one thing that mattered?
Did you skate on the cold water of reason?
Make figure eights on the logic of it's reason?
Even the stars die
Comments (129)add comment
After hearing one of their songs on RP recently, I took a break and listened to a few of their albums. Love 'em!!
I always think Robyn Hitchcock when this comes on.
"Did you cross the bridgeless gulf of chatter?
Did you say just one thing that mattered?
Did you skate on the cold water of reason?
Make figure eights on the logic of it's reason?
Even the stars die

In the end, what do things matter?
God knows I'm not unkind
I saw it sparkle and then shatter
God knows I've half a mind"

wowza.
Always good to hear a great tune from your hometown. The album is really great too! 
Is the lead singer the singer from James?  If not he sure sounds like it.
 Proclivities wrote:
 Just to clarify: It's a I - V chord progression, used in hundreds of thousands of songs.  "I'll Melt With You" pretty much stays in that progression.  This song has a completely different bridge (or "middle").  It's clearly influenced by the prior song, but it is not the same all the way through.
 
Clarified.  But the original comment was about the start of the song.

And it's not just the chord progression, but the emphasis of the tonic note in each, the relative duration of each (plus tempo, rhythm, etc.). Maybe I-V-I is in 100's x 1000's of songs, but this instance it is distinctly reminiscent of Melt With You.  My opinion.
 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?
 
 cely wrote:

At the start, in the middle and all the way through.  Let's call it a tribute.
 
  Just to clarify: It's a I - V chord progression, which occurs in hundreds of thousands of songs throughout history.  "I'll Melt With You" pretty much stays in that progression.  This song has a completely different bridge (or "middle").  It's clearly influenced by the prior song, but it is not the same "all the way through".
 Rockit9 wrote:
Boaring!
 
Boars can be very surprising.
Sounds like the Modern English riff from "Melt with You", zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
I just purchased a selection via the iTunes link. One of the few tunes I rate at 10.
Boaring!


{#Crown}

{#Clap} Nice segue from Natalie Merchant to I Am Kloot there Bill. 

Nice song for a early morning holiday :)
 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 
At the start, in the middle and all the way through.  Let's call it a tribute.
Atmosphere - Joy Division.
I Am Koot is my  "My Morning Jacket" tribute band.
I am Groot.
 DaidyBoy wrote:

Absolutely.  I got hold of the album on the strength of this and only played it once ...
 
Keep playing it and you will become totally addicted to IAK. 
 Grammarcop wrote:
Reminds me of what a sucky year this has been. Good-bye 2016, annus horribilis

 
2017 made 2016 look like 1967.
I am Groot.
 NicJohn wrote:
This band doesn't really do much for me.  But I really like this song.  Good for an eight!

 
Absolutely.  I got hold of the album on the strength of this and only played it once ...
God, I LOVE this.
Thank you ~

 skuzzfud wrote:

No. I hear it all the way through. 

 
I'll second that.{#High-five}
I absolutely love everything about this song, the performance, the production, and the lyrics.  Just beautiful.  Thank you for continuing to play it.  It's always a nice surprise when I hear it here, since I was so taken when I first heard that I downloaded the MP3 for my own playlist.  

                                                             

                                                               A fave ~   {#Daisy}



 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 
Totally! I thought it was a shoe-gazer remake of that song when this one started. I think that this song was heavily influenced by it.
 melzabutch wrote:
I am Groot
 
 

 
 

Now I know what I was thinking of the first time I saw him in G of the G! This band!


 thewiseking wrote:
Jesus and Mary Chain? Anyone? ....................anyone? 

 

                               
                                                   

                                                    I am Kloot - Even the Stars




.
Jesus and Mary Chain? Anyone? ....................anyone? 
 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 
No. I hear it all the way through.
 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 
I came to the site to see who was covering Modern English, actually. I have it on faintly in the background, so I couldn't hear it clearly, but it was def there.
I am Groot
 
 Image result for i am groot gif
 nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 
I hear Al Stewart here.
Reminds me of what a sucky year this has been. Good-bye 2016, annus horribilis
I don't hear it. Maybe because I could never get into Modern English.  I won't say they were not a great band.  Just probably that I hated them and the tune because it was an MTV hit.
 

nomnol wrote:
No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?

 


No one hears "I Melt With You", Modern English, at the start of this song?
Why is this album no longer available on iTunes? The rest of their catalog seems to be. 
This band doesn't really do much for me.  But I really like this song.  Good for an eight!
Great band!  Great tune!
 
new to me, I'll start it at a 7
Very good but too near from the immortal Joy Division's song : Atmosphere
 ottoerago wrote:
I think you should play the song "Cuckoo" from the album "I Am Kloot".

Also the album cover for their first album is outstanding. On the back of the box is a painting of their wives...



 
Wives? Ok 
Even the stars

Burn out and die... 
 Steely_D wrote:


 
I like that
For a while there, i thought it was Rodriguez.

From Searching For Sugar Man fame.
Love it!
i'm gettin a lil Jesus and Mary Chain feel here
Good song with fabulous opening.   John Branwell echoes Elbow's Guy Garvey ...just a little bit here and there..
 mfcrowe wrote:
turned up the volume - this is good

 
Hey, that's what I just did!
                                                                      References

                                            Strange how death here becomes something else
                                         I
nsider making  figure eights on the logic of it's reason ?
                                                    Even the stars dies and stars do aligns
          (Actually I had a nice coversation with my imaginary babe, and now she is asking me if I'm fiction too)
 PeterMC3 wrote:
Great song.The fourth line of the second verse is "Make figure eights' not 'Invigorate'

 
The lyrics should be fixed now (several corrections including that one).  Thanks for pointing that out.

sounds like robyn hitchcock
PeterMC3 wrote:
Great song.The fourth line of the second verse is "Make figure eights' not 'Invigorate'

 
Several better lyrics in the song than the transcription
Great song.The fourth line of the second verse is "Make figure eights' not 'Invigorate'
 sukhramkaur wrote:
I do really love this one. gives me chills{#Good-vibes}{#Music}
 
i'm with you i kove it too....and the dialect delivers gives it an honest authenticity somehow
 
I do really love this one. gives me chills{#Good-vibes}{#Music}
I think you should play the song "Cuckoo" from the album "I Am Kloot".

Also the album cover for their first album is outstanding. On the back of the box is a painting of their wives...


turned up the volume - this is good
This is so lovely.
 
(Pushes back from computer keyboard, folds arms and listens.)
Apparently, this album was never released in America. You can buy the import CD on Amazon, or, just wait until November 24, they have a new album release, 19 songs including this one. Available on both iTunes and Amazon, don't forget to click the link from RP anytime you go buy music, Bill gets a few pennies every time you do! 
Sounds like there is a better song waiting to break out of this one.  Cleaner would be better for me.  Don't like all the extra noise distracting from the melody.
7 days later and back on again eh?
Oh yes, and I hear the 'Crowded House' sound too, now you mention it.
Echoes of Joy Division (in the Curtis days, rather than as New Order) but with a mellower side?
No, no. I just saw the movie - Its pronounced - "I am Groot". The wiki gods say they have been around since 1999. So they did not have the benefit of the motion picture to help with the pronunciation. Sure do like their music though...
...perfect segue from U2 Bill {#Wave}
Everybody in my mushrooming multitude of homeless camps loves this song...  love sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll...
 Ed222 wrote:

what colour are those tears in the far far away galaxy you find yourself in...?

 
it is extremely dark out here and very hard to see colour in any visual form...
 hallogallo wrote

Man ... I momentarily wondered if this song was going to be some slow-tempo rework of "Melt With You" ... heh ... maybe that's just me ...

It doesn't suck, but it is completely unremarkable.

On the other hand, the paucity of duds on RP is rather remarkable ... so there's always that.



 

 
Totally Modern English
Haven't heard this song for at least 5 minutes...
Wait, so this isn't the lead singer of Snow Patrol!?


Man ... I momentarily wondered if this song was going to be some slow-tempo rework of "Melt With You" ... heh ... maybe that's just me ...

It doesn't suck, but it is completely unremarkable.

On the other hand, the paucity of duds on RP is rather remarkable ... so there's always that.



 
Not one of their better songs.
To say just one thing that matters...
Doh! Can't buy this song on iTunes?
  Yep...this is good.....{#Cool}.......first time....new music to my ears
 moodfood wrote:
some songs just make me cry, I don't know why...

 
what colour are those tears in the far far away galaxy you find yourself in...?
some songs just make me cry, I don't know why...
The beginning of this song reminded me a lot of Joy Division....
Love the growling guitar.
...Do they know it's Christmas time... Oh, wait...
Sounds a lot like James. Very nice.
 Grammarcop wrote:
My earworm when I woke up this morning. 

 
This was my experience this morning - +1 >8
Very Robyn Hitchcock-like
My earworm when I woke up this morning. 
Just a beautiful song.
This band has impressed me for quite a while.   And now another tune that really jumps out of my transducers !
 
~ !Gorgeous song!!  I love these guys! ~
Love the background music and the rise and fall of the lyrics and the angst that seems to permeate the song.  Please keep on playing this one.  {#Heartkiss}
It's so hard to come to grips with our own mortality...for crying out loud, how do we even deal with the simple traffic jams in our lives?

Oy-vey!
Very nice indeed.
 ubuntourist wrote:
"I'll stop the world and melt with you"

 
Exactly! I was just going to write that, then stopped to check if anyone else had picked it up. The main guitar riff is like a slowed down version.
This song is maybe my #1 pick of the year 2013
At worst case, they are on Asiprin. very nice tune.

 
 Bobert_ParkCity wrote:
Thinking of Barbarella, er Jane Fonda, in thigh high patent leather boots helps make this a 9!

 

 
Perhaps you're thinking of Jane Fonda in the last track, too.
Nice band, I'd love to recommend to my friends, but unfortunately in Dutch their name means "I am balls" in the most vulgar way possible. Something that is difficult to overcome, even for someone admitting to listen to bands with names like Elbow, Porcupine Tree, or Death Cab for Cutie. 
 fredriley wrote:
I've very much liked the songs from this band so far, but this sounds like Lou Reed on Valium. Snoozeville {#Sleep}

 
Kind of like Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies or even by the VU themselves, eh?
Thinking of Barbarella, er Jane Fonda, in thigh high patent leather boots helps make this a 9!

 
Just beautiful, and what an awesome playlist: Syntax, Sia, Joy Division, I am Kloot!
 ubuntourist wrote:
"I'll stop the world and melt with you"

 
The verse is a very widely-used I - IV chord progression - played in an arpeggiated style - like the Modern English tune, but in a different key.   They are playing it at the same tempo though, which makes it sound similar as well.
This is my first time hearing this song.  It is making the hair stand up on my arms.  I love the background music and the rise and crescendo then fall of the music and lyrics.  I agree that it sounds a little like Crowded House.
I have no idea what they're singing about, but I like it.  Just bumped my rating up to a 9!

This song is wonderful...  love it...
 

marvelous...  love it...
 
5 for the band name, +2 for the song = 7!
 fredriley wrote:
I've very much liked the songs from this band so far, but this sounds like Lou Reed on Valium. Snoozeville {#Sleep}
 
I dont think that this song is bringing me to sleep , but you are right, Lou Reed is a tablet to sleep ( well? not well?)!
Nice!
I've very much liked the songs from this band so far, but this sounds like Lou Reed on Valium. Snoozeville {#Sleep}
Exactly. "Making love to you was never second-best..."

ubuntourist wrote:
"I'll stop the world and melt with you"

 


Great tune...strange, it feels like this song would have fit nicely into any John Hughes film from the late 80's.
 Euskadita wrote:


Or maybe Tim Booth (James)

 
Or a Bizzaro Universe The Decemberists? Every time I hear it my first thought is, "Oh, The Decemberists have taken a new turn."
 rdo wrote:
This sounds a lot like Robyn Hitchcock.  Good first listen.

 

Or maybe Tim Booth (James)
That's a pretty big song. Big, pretty. 7 for now, probably will scootch it to an 8 soon.
outstandin' album!
 Sweet_Virginia wrote:

I was about to comment the same

 
me too - i thought it was a cover of the 'stop the world and melt with you' because i have it turned down really LOW!!!!
This song's the real deal. Love it.
 ubuntourist wrote:
"I'll stop the world and melt with you"
 
I was about to comment the same
"I'll stop the world and melt with you"