[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
R.E.M. — It Happened Today
Album: Collapse Into Now
Avg rating:
6.5

Your rating:
Total ratings: 147









Released: 2011
Length: 3:46
Plays (last 30 days): 0
This is not a parable
This is a terrible
This is a terrible thing.

Yes I will rhyme that after,
after all I've done today
I have earned my wings

It happened today. Hooray! Hooray!
It happened. Hip, hip, hooray!

We'll leave the allegory
to another Bible story
Out of deference, defiance, and choice.

And close in on a promise
after all I've done today
I have earned my voice

It happened today. Hooray! Hooray!
It happened. Hip, hip, hooray!

Oh...
Comments (39)add comment
I think the cover art is Michael waving good-bye to us.  They have broken up the band for the time being.   I went out last year and bought up all of REM's CDs.  This last one is the weakest, in my not so humble opinion. 
Anyone else get Jouney's "Feelin That Way" stuck in their head when listening to the end of this song?
I feel many many fans got disappointed by R.E.M. through the years...
 romeotuma wrote:


This song sounds like a group of very old men in a nursing home suddenly decided to become musicians...


 

This is CRUDEST Stingray style, Romeo. Take care or you get on the list!

 

PS

Right you are - the song is bad. VERY!!!


 kcar wrote:

Has the dancing stopped, RT? 
 
I am soooo disappointed in this song...

 
 romeotuma wrote:

No, you don't...  keep talking...

as for this song, I am sorry to say it sux...


 
 
Has the dancing stopped, RT? 
This sounds like the old R.E.M. that I used to know and love - that is to say, the band that disappeared after 1990 or so.

I like it.
 Cynaera wrote:
I have GOT to shut up now.
 


No, you don't...  keep talking...

as for this song, I am sorry to say it sux...


 
This ones a real sing-along.  I bet the producers and engineers are there in the back with Eddie.
 LowPhreak wrote:

Yeah, don't even dare to use lyrics that have remotely anything to do with...gasp!...secks...in the Puritan, ass-backwards USofAy. You may get condemned for all eternity by...

JEEE — ZUSS!!

 
{#Lol}  LowPhreak, you are too cool for words. I just listened to a diatribe by some comedian griping because of the word "Cripes." "For Cripes' sake..." He goes on to say, "Would that be 'Jesus Cripes?' Son of... 'Gosh'? I'm not making fun - I don't wanna go to 'Heck!' "

I'm not a Puritan. I'll use the "F-bomb" in the most ungoshly places... "I'm ALMOST mad enough to swear!  Don't push me - I'll say 'friggin' - I don't give a shoo-bee-doo-bee-doo...."

Uh - back to the point:  It isn't the lyrics of "Mine Smell Like Honey," because they really don't make much sense - pornographic or otherwise. It's the whole song. I just don't like it. Michael Stipe singing "Mine smell like honey - uh!" repeatedly is grounds for a headache or a visit to the dentist (for gritting one's teeth so hard they crack.)

I do love R.E.M., though. And I am a staunch advocate of non-censorship. I miss hearing the REAL version of "Who Are You?" by The Who on the radio.  And here, where I live, Nickleback's song "Rock Star" is censored so that the word "drugs" is totally eliminated. Yet, ironically, the line, "Pop my pills from a Pez dispenser" is allowed.

I'm still trying to understand WHO decides what gets played on the radio. I have an e-mail in to a radio-programmer friend of mine, so I'm hoping he can enlighten me. Maybe once I know who the "censors" are, I can have a better idea of who to slam repeatedly in public forums to get Amurrica to heave its sluggish, lethargic, apathetic body out of its complacency and take back the country.

I have GOT to shut up now.

 Cynaera wrote:
I don't care much for "Mine Smell Like Honey" - the lyrics are just a blink away from being pornographic, ...
 
Yeah, don't even dare to use lyrics that have remotely anything to do with...gasp!...secks...in the Puritan, ass-backwards USofAy. You may get condemned for all eternity by...

JEEE — ZUSS!!

I've always loved REM but this album is kind of sad. This songs not too bad but I hate hate hate that stupid song with Peaches Geldof on it.  Heard someone on The Current describe it as REM covering REM. That pretty much sums it up.


This song sounds like a group of very old men in a nursing home suddenly decided to become musicians...


 linden wrote:
When R.E.M. tries something new, people here hate them.

When they make new music that sounds like their old music, people here hate them.

Personally, I like everything they've ever done. But that's because I'm an actual fan.
 
Being "an actual fan" shouldn't mean you "like" all of their output just because they release it.  This song's quite likable though.
 rabbi_phil wrote:

Well o.k. then. Look, I understand that I understand too little too late. I realize there are things you say and do that you can never take back. But what would you be if you didn't even try. you have to try. So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider.  Please, if it's not too late, could you.................make that a cheeseburger.

*(con permiso senor, no es-steeling)

 (i wasn't es-steeling,i was borrowing)

 
{#Lol}{#Lol}  Anyone who quotes Lyle Lovett is all right in my book! {#High-five}  And just for the record - I like this R.E.M. song - but I loathe "Mine Smell Like Honey," so I guess I don't have to recant my earlier statement. Yet.

Bill's determined to get us to like this album.

Well, I like this song a little more than a couple of the others he's spun.
 poprocker1 wrote:
eddie vedder on backing vocals.   cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_Into_Now
 

I knew there was a reason I didn't like it! Other than I just don't like it. Darth Vedder and Emperor Stipedine collaborate to perform the Death Star assault on our ears!{#Lol}
 Cynaera wrote:

Maybe they were tired of resting on their past accomplishments and wanted to shake things up. This CD definitely accomplishes that goal, but perhaps not in the best way, according to some people (myself included.) I'm all for striking off in new directions to see what's "out there," but sometimes, what's "out there" should not be brought back and nurtured because it can evolve into a mutation that devours truth and simplicity.

Wow - where'd THAT come from?! *slinks away in mortification... *

 
Well o.k. then. Look, I understand that I understand too little too late. I realize there are things you say and do that you can never take back. But what would you be if you didn't even try. you have to try. So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider.  Please, if it's not too late, could you.................make that a cheeseburger.

*(con permiso senor, no es-steeling)

 (i wasn't es-steeling,i was borrowing)

Been a long time since I liked REM but I like this.
eddie vedder on backing vocals.   cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_Into_Now
This is a wonderful song for REM.  Just let it all hang out — not since "Begin" have they just gone with it like this. 
 peter_james_bond wrote:

{#High-five} I agree. It might not be up there with the best they've ever done, but it's not bad.

 
At least this has a little more blood in its veins than the other tracks I've heard from this album so far.

When R.E.M. tries something new, people here hate them.

When they make new music that sounds like their old music, people here hate them.

Personally, I like everything they've ever done. But that's because I'm an actual fan.
 rabbi_phil wrote:
Nope   nope,nope,nope      Maybe I was one of the few who dug 'Crush with Eyeliner' and it's probably not fair to hold them to an earlier standard but I just can't even imagine them wanting to release this.
 
Maybe they were tired of resting on their past accomplishments and wanted to shake things up. This CD definitely accomplishes that goal, but perhaps not in the best way, according to some people (myself included.) I'm all for striking off in new directions to see what's "out there," but sometimes, what's "out there" should not be brought back and nurtured because it can evolve into a mutation that devours truth and simplicity.

Wow - where'd THAT come from?! *slinks away in mortification... *

Nope   nope,nope,nope      Maybe I was one of the few who dug 'Crush with Eyeliner' and it's probably not fair to hold them to an earlier standard but I just can't even imagine them wanting to release this.
It's a new day for REM.  They finally figured out harmonising is beautiful, distinctive and theirs. 
 Xeric wrote:
This is not the R.E.M. I was listening to in college twenty (or ten, or thirty) years ago, and so it sucks. I don't really think so—I find this pretty catchy, actually—but I promise you that that will be the essence of a great many comments on this song. . . .
 
{#Yes}Though I would add that it does not suck because it is not the REM I listened to in college, it sucks just cause it sucks.


 Xeric wrote:
This is not the R.E.M. I was listening to in college twenty (or ten, or thirty) years ago, and so it sucks. I don't really think so—I find this pretty catchy, actually—but I promise you that that will be the essence of a great many comments on this song. . . .
 
{#High-five} I agree. It might not be up there with the best they've ever done, but it's not bad.

So sad. It was a good run...30+ years. Had to end sometime.
I like this one a lot.  I don't care much for "Mine Smell Like Honey" - the lyrics are just a blink away from being pornographic, and Stipe's voice isn't even trying to hit the notes. I guess I'm ambiguous about this whole CD so far. I agree, though, that R.E.M. is not producing the caliber of music that they were ten years ago, or even five years ago.
My brother came in when this played and was like, "what's that? sounds a little like R.E.M.". That about sums up my feelings. R.E.M. light. Still a 6 for me.

This is not the R.E.M. I was listening to in college twenty (or ten, or thirty) years ago, and so it sucks.

I don't really think so—I find this pretty catchy, actually—but I promise you that that will be the essence of a great many comments on this song. . . .
Good to know that the reverb portion of the economy is recovering.

Booming, in fact.
 
 mamerjamer wrote:
I am a REM fan, but I have not heard anything from this CD that I considered to be anything more than them trading on their signature sounds from the past - resting on their laurels.  PLEASE find a song on this CD that has a real hook like so many of their previous hit songs.  I have heard two songs from this CD and I consider them both to be pretty forget-able.  It's like they still remember how to play great sounds, but have lost the inspiration and daring to create that creative, unusual song that really pulls you in.
 


Yes, you have hit the nail on their heads...  it makes me sad that this new album sux soooo much...

on the upside, Radiohead's new album is soooo edgy it is cool...  the exact opposite of R.E.M.'s geriatric new album...

 
I agree with Mamerjamer.  Meh. whatever...
I am a REM fan, but I have not heard anything from this CD that I considered to be anything more than them trading on their signature sounds from the past - resting on their laurels.  PLEASE find a song on this CD that has a real hook like so many of their previous hit songs.  I have heard two songs from this CD and I consider them both to be pretty forget-able.  It's like they still remember how to play great sounds, but have lost the inspiration and daring to create that creative, unusual song that really pulls you in.
Sounds pretty good.  Must hear more from this CD.

Love it...