[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers — Running Man's Bible
Album: Mojo
Avg rating:
7.1

Your rating:
Total ratings: 899









Released: 2010
Length: 5:59
Plays (last 30 days): 0
You're with me tonight on this dark highway
We've run it together so many times
We've run it for money, we've run it for music
We've run it to pay for our innocent crimes

I took on my father and I'm still walkin'
Took on all comers in some shape or form
And I see with the eyes of somethin' wounded
Somethin' still standing after the storm

Here's one to glory and survival
And stayin' alive, it's the running man's bible, yeah

I been next in line, I been next to nothin'
Been next to bystanders who shoulda said somethin'
It was not in my vision, it was not in my mind
To return from a mission, a man left behind

Here's one to glory and survival
And stayin' alive, it's the running man's bible, yeah

I don't speak of the times I've nearly died
I don't speak of outlastin' those who are gone
Or the things I've done I care not to remember
Or the desperate measures that might have been wrong

Honey here's one to glory, here's to bad weather
And all the hard things we've been through together

Here's one to glory and survival
And stayin' alive, it's the running man's bible

Here's one to glory and survival
And stayin' alive, it's the runnin' man's bible, yeah
Comments (89)add comment
Solid 10, thanks for the music Tom🙏
Another RP THANK YOU needed!!!

Am old enough to have been there for many years - but  only really discovered Tom Petty in the last couple of years, thanks to Bill & Rebecca. My loss, but am getting CDs to make up for it
 konakid wrote:
Rest in peace Mr. Petty. Thank you for all the great music. You will certainly be missed.    .{#Meditate}
 

Yup. 
Rest in peace Mr. Petty. Thank you for all the great music. You will certainly be missed.    .{#Meditate}
 expatlar wrote:
This was a very good overall album. Solid rock from an old band that didn't sound old at all.

 
Cuz age has nothing to do with making good rock music.

... but, you knew that, right?
 rpdevotee wrote:
Tom Petty is the unsung hero of rock and roll...
Over 35 years of performing and producing good music is nothing short of legendary and so rare in the ever fickle and volatile rock and roll environment.

 
{#Notworthy} {#Yes}
This was a very good overall album. Solid rock from an old band that didn't sound old at all.
 rpdevotee wrote:
Tom Petty is the unsung hero of rock and roll...
Over 35 years of performing and producing good music is nothing short of legendary and so rare in the ever fickle and volatile rock and roll environment.

 
Yeah, what you said, exactly.  

LOVE this album.  Gonna play it loud on the way home tonight. 
Tom Petty is the unsung hero of rock and roll...
Over 35 years of performing and producing good music is nothing short of legendary and so rare in the ever fickle and volatile rock and roll environment.
Wicked  : )
If people are not fond of Tom Petty, they're probably not listening to RP anyway. For the rest of us, you can never play too much of him. Thanks!
I can clearly remember Tom and the Hearbreakers being all over the place in 1979-80; on FM, 8-track, then cassette; it was music for cruisin', for boozin', for smokin' weed all night; it was right up there with The Cars and The Stones, & still, these guys can flat-out ROCK
TP is awesome!  last night though, I saw Judd Apatow's "This is 40" where a high school age boy is seriously put down because "he looks like Tom Petty" and it is a riot!

Tom just gets better & better....{#Dance}{#Bounce}


All of the crowds of joyous sinners here at the keg party can't get enough;  and they love Tom Petty too!

Everybody in my mushrooming multitude of churches be running and dancing and staying alive...  love this song...
Great! Love it {#Sunny}
Not TP again!
First time hearing this song and I'm diggin' it. Tom Petty's catalog of tunes is just as impressive as the Stones.
Boring. 

Boring, boring, boring.  
I've never been a fan of this type of winey-voice singing, so even though I like the music backing it, just can't stand the singing!
 mfcrowe wrote:
This album has made me re-think Petty and his band - say what you will but if you can't help but tap your foot to this you may no longer be on the right side of the grass {#Dancingbanana}{#Bananajam}{#Drummer}
 
I agree!  I'm more interested in Petty because of this CD.  I really like the music and the guitar licks on each song.  I heard this CD first here on RP.  Thanks Bill!
He just keeps going, doesn't he?  Reliable Tom and the Heartbreakers.  Always with a good song you can recognize - and sing along.

{#Dance}

This album is among TP&H's best imho.
https://www.nu.nl/muziek/2843455/eddie-vedder-gast-bij-tom-petty-in-hmh.html 

AMSTERDAM – Soms zijn er van die concerten waar je bij geweest had moeten zijn. Die van Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers in de HMH was er zo een; voor het eerst in dertig jaar in volle glorie te bewonderen in Nederland.   
NU.nl/Paul Barendregt

Fans onder de veertig hebben Tom Petty mogelijk nog nooit live gezien, of ze hebben er een reis voor naar het buitenland moeten ondernemen. De kaarten voor zijn show waren prijzig en de HMH is voor zijn doen intiem. Hoewel Petty in de VS volle stadions trekt, moet de man in Nederland met minder genoegen nemen.

Zijn humeur is er niet minder op, want zowel de bebaarde zanger als zijn metgezellen sprankelen op de bühne. Te beginnen met Listen To Her Heart. In hoog tempo volgen diverse hits van het collectief, waaronder I Won’t Back Down, Don’t Come Around Here No More, Here Comes My Girl en Free Fallin’.

Ook Handle With Care van Traveling Wilburys (de supergroep waarvan Petty deel uitmaakte) komt voorbij in een sterke, natuurgetrouwe uitvoering, waarbij toetsenist en gitarist Scott Thurston de vocale partijen van Roy Orbison voor zijn rekening neemt. Een andere cover is die van Oh Well van Fleetwood Mac.

Pearl Jam

Petty heeft nog wat verrassingen in petto voor het publiek. Zo speelt hij onder meer minder bekende nummers van de albums Wildflowers en zijn meest recente plaat Mojo (uit 2010, nu heruit met live-cd). Voor het nummer The Waiting haalt hij Pearl Jam-zanger Eddie Vedder op het podium, tot groot plezier van de toeschouwers.

Vedder keert aan het eind van het concert terug voor de toegift, in de vorm van American Girl, hoewel hij niet alle hoge noten haalt. Hij mag het met zijn eigen bandje nog eens proberen in de Ziggo Dome deze week, al zal Vedder hard zijn best moeten doen om Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers te overtreffen.

Door: NU.nl/Pierre Oitmann                


 Paul_Skybreakers wrote:
sooooo boring......
 
as boring as the "Dam"....?
Running away.
Found myself drumming on the desk instead of writing up field notes, .... so I guess TP is hitting the groove on this one.  He does that a lot.
Very nice!
Tom Petty & The Pacemakers
This album has made me re-think Petty and his band - say what you will but if you can't help but tap your foot to this you may no longer be on the right side of the grass {#Dancingbanana}{#Bananajam}{#Drummer}
 Paul_Skybreakers wrote:
sooooo boring......
 
this is obviously a rock'n'roll rehash that just screams mainstream after hearing the riff the third time around.

sooooo boring......
Could be very well a B3 - sounds gorgeous, doesn't it?
Don´t know if it´s a B3 but I love the sound of the organ.

I dig that the hammond is featured so well on this CD. {#Bananapiano}
 emmidad wrote:
Tom Dylan !!
 

Yeah!  Tom should record this again in 20 years for full effect.
 Proclivities wrote:

Yeah, I guess you're right, but it's still a classic straw man argument, which I see far too often in the comments.

e.g.
1:  You do not like a song which I like
2:  Because you do not like a song which I like, your tastes must be inferior to mine.
3:  Because I have 'established' the inferiority of your tastes I can draw any baseless and exaggerated conclusion.
4:  I conclude that you must like Britney Spears' music - there are no other possibilities.

 
Totally agreed.  I was supporting the usage of the Britney meme itself.  Britney as the cornerstone of the conclusion in that tired argument/insult is lame. 

{#Meditate}


 vandal wrote:

Brittany Spears is "sort of" a musical meme which when used properly can quickly convey the intent of a sender's message. 
 
Yeah, I guess you're right, but it's still a classic straw man argument, which I see far too often in the comments.

e.g.
1:  You do not like a song which I like
2:  Because you do not like a song which I like, your tastes must be inferior to mine.
3:  Because I have 'established' the inferiority of your tastes I can draw any baseless and exaggerated conclusion.
4:  I conclude that you must like Britney Spears' music - there are no other possibilities.



 Proclivities wrote:

Why is that the only alternative?  Good song though.
 
Brittany Spears is "sort of" a musical meme which when used properly can quickly convey the intent of a sender's message. 


Is Bill playing Tom Petty more these days, or am I just liking Tom Petty more?  I give this a 9! {#Bounce}
 Cynaera wrote:

Well, hang in there.  I'm sure Bill will play a Brittney Spears song soon.

 
Why is that the only alternative?  Pretty good song though.
Love the album from the first lick. Consumate Rock and Roll !
Adjective: Showing a high degree of skill and flair; complete or perfect.

The only reason this song isn't a 10 is that I'm pretty sure it's going to get stuck in my head, and when Petty gets stuck in my head it's normally the full arrangement, which is very annoying.
 titanium667 wrote:
This Petty Stuff is over-rated IMO.

 
 
Well, hang in there.  I'm sure Bill will play a Brittney Spears song soon.

 helgigermany wrote:
Very nice!

 

I can not agree with you. Best album of TP & H think «Into The Great Wide Open». Compared to whom «MOJO» — nothing.

/IMHO all/


I was never touched by TP, but hearing the new tracks from this album has me going for the rate button and shoving up to the high side. A new one for in the car.
Guitar riff borrowed from "There Is An End" by "The Greenhornes"?
Tom Dylan !!
TP does it again
Very nice!

Nice segue from Space Oddity.
Great song!!!
I have heard good things about this album and I must say I am surprised! Not the usual suckage from Mr. Petty; seems to be his MO; puts out one great album a decade in between a bunch of dreck!{#Lol}
This album is a real joy.  There are some great songs and a lot of mainstream rockers, but the band is cohesive and energized, and it shows in the recording.  I think many of the songs were recorded live to 2 track, which is the mark of a great band.
This Petty Stuff is over-rated IMO.

 
I miss "something good coming"... {#Frown}
Nice, the Petty...groovin'{#Motor}
Petty meets Bond/Lounge? Craaaaaaazy, man!
OH YEA!!! Gimme That BOOGIE!!! {#Bananajam}{#Drummer}  {#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana_2}
Nice!
 WonderLizard wrote:

The "live" recording gives you an idea of how very, very good they are as a band without the sound compromises of most live venues. What I find remarkable about the album, however, is its heavy tilt toward R&B and blacktop blues, something they've occasionally dabbled in but haven't released in such a concentration. Mike Campbell just sizzles as does Tench with the B3 fills.

Mojo is one answer to the question, "What do we do with old, gray rockers?" Neil Young is another.

 
{#Clap}  Well-said, WonderLizard!  I've loved every cut I've heard from this latest TP work.  I don't think his voice sounds thin, but if it does, it might be because he's getting older!  Or, as is typical for him, he deliberately messes with his vocals to depict sarcasm, pathos, angst, and a host of other emotions. Most artists don't bother.  Just another reason why Mojo is my favorite Tom Petty CD these days.

i was never a huge Petty fan but they played this whole album n the local station after the Telluride Bluegrass Fest and it was perfect.
The intro to this song to me sounds EXACTLY like Leonard Cohen "The Future".  I'm always slightly bummed when it's not Leonard.....  {#Sad}

 That_SOB wrote:


Petty always gives you RLS  Restless Leg Syndrome... Campbell does the do..great muscians great professionals
Where on earth ?
the only thing Live Nation didn't have was cattle prods.......

 
The Gorge.  Along with Red Rocks the two best venues in the land.  RR still wins for acoustics...

 Stefen wrote:
I've only heard the tracks on the RP playlist, but this album sounds gooood.
 
IMHO, not a bad cut on it.

 kurtster wrote:
First listen, nice !
 
Agree agree agree.

RP have LOTS from this CD {#Dance}
First listen, nice !
I've only heard the tracks on the RP playlist, but this album sounds gooood.
tasty guitar lick intro, but the voice sounds so thin, like TP's recovering from a stroke or something

Instant love.
Very impressed by everything I have heard from this CD. Tom Petty still has it, which is not something you can say for many rockers in his demographic.

 

VERY disappointed in this CD...



I disagree — I've loved everything I've heard off of this album so far.  Best album since Wildflowers, in my opinion.
This album is too mellow for me.  I'm a huge Tom Petty fan, love pretty much everything he's ever done, but this one just comes across as boring.  They sound bored.  I hope it will grow on me with a few more listens.
 George_Tirebiter wrote:
Downloaded the album last week, nice turn for the band.  I like that it was recorded "live' - no dubbing.  Looking forward to their show here in September.
 
The "live" recording gives you an idea of how very, very good they are as a band without the sound compromises of most live venues. What I find remarkable about the album, however, is its heavy tilt toward R&B and blacktop blues, something they've occasionally dabbled in but haven't released in such a concentration. Mike Campbell just sizzles as does Tench with the B3 fills.

Mojo is one answer to the question, "What do we do with old, gray rockers?" Neil Young is another.

 George_Tirebiter wrote:
Downloaded the album last week, nice turn for the band.  I like that it was recorded "live' - no dubbing.  Looking forward to their show here in September.
 

I think I will have to buy this too. Have heard some really great tracks so far.

I saw TP & the Heartbreakers way back when they went on tour for 'Wildflowers.' It was Madison Square Garden, NYC - we had tickets behind the stage. (Unobstructed view.) I was particularly impressed because not only was the sound great (MSG concerts are often not so good sound-quality wise) but by how aware the band was that they had people sitting behind them. They made certain we were provided a great show as well as the people out front. That's class.


Downloaded the album last week, nice turn for the band.  I like that it was recorded "live' - no dubbing.  Looking forward to their show here in September.
 Jeff09 wrote:
Aren't WE into Mojo this week!
 
{#Yes}



Petty always gives you RLS  Restless Leg Syndrome... Campbell does the do..great muscians great professionals
Where on earth ?
the only thing Live Nation didn't have was cattle prods.......

Nice. Way to go Bill! {#Notworthy}  Petty is still putting out some good stuff.
Aren't WE into Mojo this week!

Saw him live up at our Pemberton Festival two years ago...the whole thing was quite the experience...like a mini-Woodstock{#Clap}


Excellent as always.  {#Cowboy}
Not up to Tom Petty standards, but I like it ok.
They did it again! Coolio...as my daughter would say...{#Dancingbanana_2}

First!

Oh, and this song is a'makin me tap my foot in my cubicle.