[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Neil Young — I'm The Ocean
Album: Mirror Ball
Avg rating:
6.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 283









Released: 1995
Length: 6:50
Plays (last 30 days): 0
I'm an accident, I was driving way too fast
Couldn't stop though so I let the moment last
I'm for rollin', I'm for tossin' in my sleep
It's not guilt though, it's not the company I keep

People my age, they don't do the things I do
They go somewhere while I run away with you
I got my friends and I got my children too
I got her love, she's got my love too

I can't hear you but I feel the things you say
I can't see you but I see what's in my way
Now I'm floatin' 'cause I'm not tied to the ground
Words I've spoken seem to leave a hollow sound

On the long plain see the rider in the night
See the chieftain, see the braves in cool moonlight
Who will love them when they take another life?
Who will hold them when they tremble from the knife?

Voicemail numbers on an old computer screen
Rows of lovers parked forever in a dream
Screaming sirens echoing across the bay
To the old boats from the city far away

Homeless heroes walk the streets of their hometown
Rows of zeros on a field that's turning brown
They play baseball, they play football under lights
They play card games and we watch them every night

Need distraction, need romance and candlelight
Need random violence, need entertainment tonight
Need the evidence, want the testimony of
Expert witnesses on the brutal crimes of love

I was too tired to see the news when I got home
Pulled the curtain, fell into bed alone
Started dreaming, saw the rider once again
In the doorway where she stood and watched for him

I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream
I'm an aerostar, I'm a cutlass supreme
In the wrong lane trying to turn against the flow
I'm the ocean, I'm the giant undertow

I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
I'm the giant undertow
I'm the ocean
I'm the giant undertow
I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
I'm the ocean
Comments (63)add comment
Listen to the words.  There's some thought there.
 dachter1love wrote:
Just sounds like bar-band stuff.  

Please tell me the bar you visit that plays stuff as good as this. 
Just saw Neil and Crazy at Red Rocks and they were great!!!——They'd start a song, and by the middle of it they'd be all circled around, facing each other jammin' out on the electric guitars—-blood red moon rising over the city——perfect concert!!
 max_p wrote:
very similar chords to Devo's "Gut Feeling"
 

Well - Pearl Jam did cover Whip It in their 43 song set which closed the Philadelphia Spectrum on Halloween night in 2009.
very similar chords to Devo's "Gut Feeling"
Just sounds like bar-band stuff.

The last song on this album is a recording at a bar. Funny!
Neil plus Pearl Jam!  What could be better?
 Ghiaap wrote:
Maybe not his best album, but for me it was, back in '95,  a great way to get rid of my anger after my wife left me for some other guy.
Throw Your Hatred Down!

17 years later i'm happily married again for 16 years and have two lovely kids.

Thanks Neil for your music
 
Not to push a metaphor (simile?) too far, but... "Long May You Run"! {#Clap}
Maybe not his best album, but for me it was, back in '95,  a great way to get rid of my anger after my wife left me for some other guy.
Throw Your Hatred Down!

17 years later i'm happily married again for 16 years and have two lovely kids.

Thanks Neil for your music
You did it again.  Made me by ANOTHER CD by playing incredie music I had not heard before.  This time from one of my favorites - Neil Young.  There is not better station anywhere!

Dennis

Nobody but RP plays the back water songs of Neil Young. Thanks RP! This is not one of Neil's better known songs, but still awesome! Made my day to her this.
 Bocephus wrote:
I'm the ocean....I'm the giant undertow.
 

Yeah.

Those words just hit me like a FIST. Every once in a while they'll somehow come to mind and its another blast! Neil does that with several of his songs. Some of his work, like the Greendale thing, are so deceptively simple— Little ditties on the surface; profound depths start just below that surface..
 Orodrigues wrote:
The great Neil Young at his best!
 
Cannot agree! I prefer the older stuff!

Neil's earned the right to jam away whenever he wishes. I just wouldn't add to his personal GNP with a purchase of this. Just sounds like bar-band stuff. Don't need it on my list.
...and a good morning to you too  SweTex wrote:

Lets see...got coffee...desk is kinda clean...RP fired up....time to go to work..morning, fellow rp listeners{#Yawn}


 


Great!
The great Neil Young at his best!
I'm the ocean....I'm the giant undertow.
 lysisphere wrote:
Yay.  Look people, I'm a child of the 80's and to me, Neil Young fits into the "classic rock" category, which I am not particularly fond of.  Mostly because it's been overplayed so much on FM.  But now, thank you to RP and Bill's musical majesty, I am able to relax the tight frames of categorization and feel the raw rock that Neil sends to my ears.  Word, Bill. Word.
 
Listening to RP has made me "relax the tight frames of categorization" also.  It's all just music!

 grignr wrote:
I love classic and new Neil, but this is one of his weaker ones...

 
Funny I think this is one of his best.  Love this one!

i feel the time has come to make my first full neil young cd... yep, it's gonna be good {#Whistle}
 lysisphere wrote:
Yay.  Look people, I'm a child of the 80's and to me, Neil Young fits into the "classic rock" category, which I am not particularly fond of.  Mostly because it's been overplayed so much on FM.  But now, thank you to RP and Bill's musical majesty, I am able to relax the tight frames of categorization and feel the raw rock that Neil sends to my ears.  Word, Bill. Word.
 

Bump. {#High-five}

Not because I'm a child of the 80's - but because I like your perspective.
In this particular song, he sounds pinched, like he's running out of air.  Normally I like his voice a lot more.
 grignr wrote:
I love classic and new Neil, but this is one of his weaker ones...

 
Agreed.  He should've retired minutes before releasing this one.
 RobRyan wrote:
Gee, couldn't it be a little longer? {#Rolleyes}
 
(lol!!) ..picture yourself standing on the beach looking at waves crash and asking if it will ever stop. funny, huh? I thought so too. Thanks
Gee, couldn't it be a little longer? {#Rolleyes}
I love classic and new Neil, but this is one of his weaker ones...

Yay.  Look people, I'm a child of the 80's and to me, Neil Young fits into the "classic rock" category, which I am not particularly fond of.  Mostly because it's been overplayed so much on FM.  But now, thank you to RP and Bill's musical majesty, I am able to relax the tight frames of categorization and feel the raw rock that Neil sends to my ears.  Word, Bill. Word.
 jbtidwell wrote:
Happy Birthday, Neil!!!
 
"People my age
They don't do the things I do"


Love ya Neil!
(64 years young today)

Happy Birthday, Neil!!!
 chessie wrote:

love NY. One of the alltime greats. And yes, Bob Dylan can`t sing, too. Another great musician.


 

sorry, Munich! WRONG!

Dylan is a great poet and writer!

Can`t sing, can't play guitar!
YES! YES! YES!
finally....

rave on rave on!
{#Bananajam}
Now that's what I call Rock "n" Roll..................................
 HarrO wrote:
The "Grandfather of Grunge" playing with his grand kids. Yet another reason Niel rocks, always has, always will. Those of you who "don't get" Niel Young, well I understand the vocals issue but please just try to listen deeper. This guy is one hell of a songwriter and musician.
 
{#High-five} Nice! A tidal wave of agreement from me.

love NY. One of the alltime greats. And yes, Bob Dylan can`t sing, too. Another great musician.


Need something...mus-i-cal.
Neil backed by the best band in America over the last 20 years - PEARL JAM.....................
 Rick_V wrote:
A great rockin' tune from a seriously underrated album.
 
It really is a great album.  If I remember right it is Pearl Jam backing him up, right?

A great rockin' tune from a seriously underrated album.
This should be followed up by Yer Not the Ocean by the Tragically Hip!  Thanks for all the tunes.
 songbirdfemme wrote:

Man, if only people who could "sing on pitch" wrote music... we'd be out of some of the best music ever written!!! Open your minds people!

 

You got that right,songbirdfemme.
 Motowncam wrote:
David Crosby? Stephen Stills? Graham Nash? Who were those guys again?
Neil was and is still the man. I will agree that some of his many albums over the years have sucked, but that's because the man took some risks.

  {#Dancingbanana_2}{#Clap}{#Bananajam}{#Jump}{#Dancingbanana}{#Sunny}{#Bananasplit}{#Cheers}


Yes Swe!!!! Good morning to you too!

Man, if only people who could "sing on pitch" wrote music... we'd be out of some of the best music ever written!!! Open your minds people!

Lets see...got coffee...desk is kinda clean...RP fired up....time to go to work..morning, fellow rp listeners{#Yawn}


 More_Cowbell wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe Neil should do vocals for all the great rock and roll bands of this generation.
      Great idea and and not at all that much work for him,considering the # off great bands !
 

David Crosby? Stephen Stills? Graham Nash? Who were those guys again?
Neil was and is still the man. I will agree that some of his many albums over the years have sucked, but that's because the man took some risks.

 jone_ston wrote:
I'm getting real tired of Bill's seeming love affair with Niel Young.  Bleh.  The man can't since on pitch, and his voice is so annoyingly nasal.  I can imagine some of his songs being okay if they were sung by someone else, though often they're so repetitive that they seem beyond redemption.  I don't get what so many people see in his music.
 
Yeah, but I bet he can spell.

The "Grandfather of Grunge" playing with his grandkids. Yet another reason Niel rocks, always has, always will. Those of you who "don't get" Niel Young, well I understand the vocals issue but please just try to listen deeper. This guy is one hell of a songwriter and musician.
I'm getting real tired of Bill's seeming love affair with Niel Young.  Bleh.  The man can't since on pitch, and his voice is so annoyingly nasal.  I can imagine some of his songs being okay if they were sung by someone else, though often they're so repetitive that they seem beyond redemption.  I don't get what so many people see in his music.
 slippery wrote:
Is there any way I can rate all Neil Young songs "1 - sucko barfo" without having to vote on every song manually?
I like most of the music beeing played here, but I want to strangle Neil. Seen him live to - wish I hadn't.

 
You poor thing.

Is there any way I can rate all Neil Young songs "1 - sucko barfo" without having to vote on every song manually?
I like most of the music beeing played here, but I want to strangle Neil. Seen him live to - wish I hadn't.

 More_Cowbell wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe Neil should do vocals for all the great rock and roll bands of this generation.
 

Why do you hate the great rock and roll bands of this generation? {#Tongue}
Nice upload. Have not listened to this one in a while. Forgot how good it is.

Nice segue into the trees..good choice Bill

Really getting into Neil Young lately. Starting to buy old albums. Love hearing new stuff.
I'm thinking that maybe Neil should do vocals for all the great rock and roll bands of this generation.
I love this track. Great CD.

There was a poster that came with this CD, it was a drawing of NY's face, scared the hell outta me.

Big train techy, big music maestro.


 mandolin wrote:
...cool to hear this...
 

definitely.  good tune.  been awhile since i've heard it.  had a couple bands that covered this


I like it...


PJ OK, NY nix. Sorry :(
...cool to hear this - that accordion really pushes it to rock...