[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Cloud Cult — Journey Of The Featherless
Album: Feel Good Ghosts
Avg rating:
5.8

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1425









Released: 2008
Length: 3:01
Plays (last 30 days): 2
Got myself a mission
I'm going to find heaven
I made cray-paper wings
I think they'll carry me a while

I left you a love poem
The best I have written
My favorite words
Were the ones I couldn't spell

They say that I'm a lunatic
They say that I am full of it
I say that it's worth dreamin'
Just for the dream of it

It's all about passion
It's all about perception
Don't call me on my cell phone
'Cause there ain't no reception

When I'm gone
When I'm gone

I think I'm growing feathers
But I'm not quite sure of it
'Cause I started getting dizzy
About a Hundred feet up

I made friends with the clouds
I made friends with the birds
If you ask a goose a question
He never shuts up

And honestly I miss you
And I hope that you're missing me
Cause I could use your lips on me
And a little bit of dramamine

For the moment I can see
Way better than I've ever seen
Don't sell my stuff on eBay
Cause I might need it back before I'm gone

Before I'm gone

I'm not the kind of man
Who's into looking downwards
I've drank my share of pity
From the bartender's cup

So many people
Wonderin' "What's the right direction?"
As far as I'm concerned
There's only one way up

And my fingers, they are blisters
And my eyes, they are bullet holes
But my hearts still beating
Guess I'm pretty lucky

Pretty lucky
Pretty lucky
(When I'm gone)
Comments (290)add comment
Bill, I'm a Cloud Cult fan.  Keep playing them.
Reminds me a lot of the Canadian group: Barenaked Ladies.
Lots of rhythm, interesting lyrics and energetic instrumentation.
What's with this guy's voice? Sheesh.
This band is just so cool
Cuz he sounds like he's off his meds and crawling out of skin?


 
jmddj wrote:
What is it about this guy’s voice that irks me? It’s not the quirkiness- I mean I love Future Islands (as Bill says- “his vocals are an acquired taste”), David Byrne, Colin Melli’s, Dylan and Neil Young- all who have distinct vocal styles. The music is fine, but I can’t listen- therefore it’s PSD. Not a hater, just sharing the disconnect and the question of one man’s ceiling being another man’s floor. But keep it up, Bill and Becca: I’d rather skip over an occasional song than rob others of their enjoyment of something that doesn’t float my boat.
 

I like them a lot too.
This is what you got for Dr. King?  Jesus.  SMH
 jmddj wrote:
What is it about this guy’s voice that irks me? It’s not the quirkiness- I mean I love Future Islands (as Bill says- “his vocals are an acquired taste”), David Byrne, Colin Melli’s, Dylan and Neil Young- all who have distinct vocal styles. The music is fine, but I can’t listen- therefore it’s PSD. Not a hater, just sharing the disconnect and the question of one man’s ceiling being another man’s floor. But keep it up, Bill and Becca: I’d rather skip over an occasional song than rob others of their enjoyment of something that doesn’t float my boat.
 

Maybe it’s that he sounds like he’s running out of breath most of the time? Definitely a take-it-or-leave-it band (I’m heavily on the buy side).
Prior post: Colin Meloy (had to recordent spellcheck again this time- shows as Colin Melody (sure some would argue that he’s NOT melodious;-)
What is it about this guy’s voice that irks me? It’s not the quirkiness- I mean I love Future Islands (as Bill says- “his vocals are an acquired taste”), David Byrne, Colin Melli’s, Dylan and Neil Young- all who have distinct vocal styles. The music is fine, but I can’t listen- therefore it’s PSD. Not a hater, just sharing the disconnect and the question of one man’s ceiling being another man’s floor. But keep it up, Bill and Becca: I’d rather skip over an occasional song than rob others of their enjoyment of something that doesn’t float my boat.
In the scheme of things, an eclectic mix works.

Me too!

 

ColdMiser wrote:

I'm happy that RP still plays a steady diet of Cloud Cult despite the negative comments. Can't please everyone.
 

I'm happy that RP still plays a steady diet of Cloud Cult despite the negative comments. Can't please everyone.
these are marvelous lyrics...
Do I like Cloud Cult so much because of all the criticism on RP? No...I like them because I like them. Not my fave band, but you could say that about 100s of bands that I do like. They're pretty creative and really great live—I've seen them on two different tours. LOTS of energy. Very positive message in their music, and positive overall. Very hard working too. I hope they stay in RP's lineup. But if not, no matter, I have all their cds.
 Typesbad wrote:
I really like the lyrics.  The goofy singing and arrangement is fine for one song.  I assume the band doesn't always sound like this.

 
No, I picked up one of their CDs (Love) and while a lot of it was fairly bouncy in this vein, it was surprisingly hard in spots if I remember (I've just listened to it once and a third so far). It's been growing on me though, they are very creative.
Krista Tippett (On Being) interviewed Craig Minowa in April 2016.  Download the podcast & listen when you've got an hour - some interesting perspective on this band's trajectory (not to mention quantum mechanics).
https://onbeing.org/programs/craig-minowa-music-and-the-ritual-of-performance/
I really like the lyrics.  The goofy singing and arrangement is fine for one song.  I assume the band doesn't always sound like this.
 iransofaraway wrote:
Please.. please take this out of the song library for at least 5 years.

 
Ouch! Really? Make it 5...
I love this song so much. I recently learned that the lead singer lost a 2-year-old child several years before writing this song, and when I read the lyrics of this... I just don't know how a person could write something this full of joy and optimism after going through something like that.
Please.. please take this out of the song library for at least 5 years.
Almost 5 years ago I gave this a 3 rating, and luckily I haven't heard it again until now, but my 2012 one-line review still stands:

 
smackiepipe wrote:
The goofy style of this song reminds me of "Home For a Rest" by Spirit of the West, the only difference is I actually like hearing "Home For a Rest."

 


 clickfaster wrote:
Every time I hear this whimpering I immediately look for the ZERO on the ratings scale, but I can only go to ONE. {#Tongue-out}

 
I don't hear whimpering as much as I hear a hipster Gordon Gano. Though maybe you'd consider Gordon whimpery.
 clickfaster wrote:
Every time I hear this whimpering I immediately look for the ZERO on the ratings scale, but I can only go to ONE. {#Tongue-out}

 
Whimpering sums it up, but...I may not agree with what you say but I will defend ...
I know he's not a good singer, but there's so much hope and joy in this song that I can't help but feel inspired. I'm saddened that others don't have the same experience.
1
Every time I hear this whimpering I immediately look for the ZERO on the ratings scale, but I can only go to ONE. {#Tongue-out}
Music shouldn't annoy, but these guys wind me right up.  Sorry, PSD for me.
 fatcatjb wrote:
I have given Cloud Cult as much of an opportunity as I can muster...I do not get this band and hope they fall off the RP playlist soon. Really soon. I figure that no rating is below a 1, so there it is -none-

 
Bill invented the PSD button just for you so the rest of us who enjoy CC can do so while you listen to something else.
 fatcatjb wrote:
I have given Cloud Cult as much of an opportunity as I can muster...I do not get this band and hope they fall off the RP playlist soon. Really soon. I figure that no rating is below a 1, so there it is -none-

 
ditto
I have given Cloud Cult as much of an opportunity as I can muster...I do not get this band and hope they fall off the RP playlist soon. Really soon. I figure that no rating is below a 1, so there it is -none-
Sounds like he's singing from his death bed moments from the end.
9 because I was hopelessly addicted to flying paragliders for about 10 years. Anyone who has ever flown  hang glider or a paraglider, or tried to have a serious relationship with someone who has, will totally get this song.
Not so much.  
 Mannick wrote:
His voice made me press PSD whithin 10 seconds! Landed on Benny Goodman and I'm glad!

 
Benny's probably not so glad about it though - you made him twist his ankle.
Very funny Bill....you get us to crank it up after about 8 good songs in a row topped off by The Cure and then you play this and sit back laughing at everyone reaching for the mute button......ha ha.....good one ;^ )
His voice made me press PSD whithin 10 seconds! Landed on Benny Goodman and I'm glad!
 aaronm wrote:
I love this track, and I owe a debt of gratitude to RP for bringing Cloud Cult into my consciousness.

 
Same here, I bought the Light Chasers direct from their website recently and plan on expanding my collection. Thanks Bill!
Did he sing his "eyes are bullet holes" or "butt holes?"  Just wonderin'.
CRIPES !

PSD>> 
7 > > 8.  Better on 2nd listen.  Really digging the lyrics.
There are a lot of characteristics about this song that should file it into my "ew" pile...but for some reason I don't totally dislike it. 
I haven't seen them in concert for a couple of years. But they used to have a woman painting pictures while they played. It was interesting watching the inspiration she got from the crowd and the band at each performance. They are/were really a different group to watch and listen too. But definitely are worth seeing if you get a chance.
They have a new accoustic album coming out with redos of some of their songs throughout their catelog. A different take on some of the songs.
A catchy little number (uh-oh, Doc, I think he's caught it!)  ... I like it.  The squirrely vocal is part of what makes it work.
I love this track, and I owe a debt of gratitude to RP for bringing Cloud Cult into my consciousness.
 justin_thyme wrote:
This terrific little tune really polarizes RP listeners, doesn't it? It seems to me that's part of the appeal of this eclectic medium. Bill/Rebecca, don't cave in to the would-be censors. If they would withhold financial support for RP because of differences over certain particular tracks, you don't want their money anyway . . . it's probably tainted (and quite likely from some backward place like Texas or Oklahoma {#Headache} )

 
FWIW, I vote this song, and many of the other polarizing ones need an '11' because of the fact they push so many buttons so well. Love this song and this band. Wish they'd have been around back when I was in music school or working as a stagehand. Either case would've rocked so hard.
This terrific little tune really polarizes RP listeners, doesn't it? It seems to me that's part of the appeal of this eclectic medium. Bill/Rebecca, don't cave in to the would-be censors. If they would withhold financial support for RP because of differences over certain particular tracks, you don't want their money anyway . . . it's probably tainted (and quite likely from some backward place like Texas or Oklahoma {#Headache} )
Sounds like clown music - whatever that is... Just awful...
Seems a lot of RP listeners don't get this band.  I find this song haunting and beautiful.  The lyrics are way deeper than taken at first glance.  This is a song about DEATH, and REBIRTH... the entire album deals with huge questions such as the meaning of life and God and death and why we are here.  The vocals are plaintive and questioning and sometimes full of pathos and pain and loss.  Because the artist and the band had to deal with these issues in a very REAL way.  
Wow, this is just horrid. Between the vocalist who can't sing and the unfocused background noise they are trying to pass as music, this deserves the dreaded "1" rating.
 mikemayday wrote:
I REALLY wish the guy would work on his voice a bit. As it is, it's just unbearable for me.

 
Same opinion here. He sounds like a 13 years old having his testicles being squeezed. And that's not suppose to sound good.

"Don't call me on my cell phone
'Cause there ain't no reception"

I totally get this lyric. I feel like I'm holding a Tricorder from Star Trek when I'm trying to find reception. Please! Just give me one bar!
The worst Cloud Cult song played on RP yet.  Atrocious.
I am with the previous five commenters here. Can this guy stop trying to sing? Hire a real vocalist and make him sing. Maybe the music is good, but I cannot judge because of that voice.
If someone will tell where to find him, I will personally commit to ending his singing career w/ extreme prejudice.
I REALLY wish the guy would work on his voice a bit. As it is, it's just unbearable for me.
Voice and style reminds me Bob Geldorf Boomtown Rats, in a "I don't like Mondays" song.
This voice and style reminds me of David Rovics. I prefer David, even when unaccompanied.
OK, I saw Spirit of the West perform this 3 weeks ago and, while I do prefer their version, this is not without merit.
The goofy style of this song reminds me of "Home For a Rest" by Spirit of the West, the only difference is I actually like hearing "Home For a Rest."
 gemtag wrote:

Yeah, me too. I'm still searching for that radio station that plays that one perfect song that everyone loves to hear over-and-over ad infinitum, When I find it I will get to keep my buck-fiddy a quarter.

 
Wait..  buck fifty a quarter?  As in 6 bucks a year?
 Photo-John wrote:
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.
 
I'm also a contributor, and I don't like most Bowie, Elvis (Costello or Presley for that matter), and a large portion of the world music that gets played here, yet that doesn't make me regret my contribution.  Either open your mind or mute your speakers for 4 minutes...  I'm sure one of the two of those is hard, but the other should be easy.
What's with the Amiga diskette sound bit?
 jbwiv wrote:
Cloud Cult is best represented by their latest album (Light Chasers) in my opinion. It's a beautifully-done concept album which wraps great music around some very deep, introspective soul exploration. I'd recommend you check it out. Amazon link here.
 


I took your advice purchased the album, and have been listening to it nonstop. There are a few small parts that grate on me, but overall it was an excellent work.

Thanks for the comment/suggestion!

It's good to hear you playing some Cloud Cult again! Bring it.


Cloud Cult is best represented by their latest album (Light Chasers) in my opinion. It's a beautifully-done concept album which wraps great music around some very deep, introspective soul exploration. I'd recommend you check it out. Amazon link here.
 Photo-John wrote:
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.
 
Yeah, me too. I'm still searching for that radio station that plays that one perfect song that everyone loves to hear over-and-over ad infinitum, When I find it I will get to keep my buck-fiddy a quarter.

Mehhh
 rabbi_phil wrote:
Has a bit of Blue October to it.

 

yep,still has that Blue October thing goin' on  (although I do like that creaky door thing at the end,what is that?)

 Racquel wrote:
 ten bucks if i get one good song before my housemates get home and boot me off the comp.
 
:) hope you will
There are some songs off their new album Light Chasers that I really like. 
I like it. Maybe 'cause I was a goofy college art student once upon a time.
Has a bit of Blue October to it.

 ten bucks if i get one good song before my housemates get home and boot me off the comp.

Weak... just really weak
 Webfoot wrote:
Love the diversity. 
 
I feel like most of us here in Eugene would feel this way.  {#High-five}
 Photo-John wrote:
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.

 
{#Yell} 'Cause it's all about you.

I'm always surprised about how polarizing this song really is.  I really, really like it.
oh wow. personally i kinda like this song. 6 > 7 :-)
If I never hear this song again, I will consider my self..."preetttyyy lucckkyyy"....
I keep hearing Steve Forbert
 Photo-John wrote:
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.

 
An 'eclectic' station with a wide range of music is bound to delight and appall all its listeners at some time or other. One person's godlike is another's sucko-barfo. I can't be doing with this number but I stick with RP because there's far more music on here that pleases rather than hurts the ears, and every day there are surprises on the playlist. So even if I'm muting 1 in every 5 songs, as sometimes happens, I'm happy to continue contributing. RP is a unique experiment and one worth strongly supporting, IMO. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.

 Photo-John wrote:
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.
 
I, on the other hand, contribute money here, and this is exactly why I contribute money here. Yet another example of the celebration of creativity that Bill brings to this forum, which, for some reason, seems to bug the hell out of some listeners. 
Yuk
Love the diversity. 
My cue to mute and find another music source for the day. FWIW. I contribute money here and hearing this makes me want to not contribute.

Love this band.  Such airy fun music.   For some reason reminiscent of a wedding {#Drunk}
Nooooooooooooo! {#Headache}
 Cynaera wrote:
I love these lyrics - hysterically funny! {#Clap}

 

got myself a mission
i'm going to find heaven
i made crepe paper wings
i think they'll carry me well

i left you a love poem
the best i have written
my favorite words
were the ones i couldn't spell

they say that i'm a lunatic
they say that i am full of it
i say that it's worth dreaming
just for the dream of it

it's all about passion
it's all about preception
don't call me on my cell phone
cause there ain't no reception
where i'm goin

where i'm goin

i think i'm growing feathers
but i'm not sure of it
because i started getting dizzy
about a hundred feet up

i made friends with the clouds
i made friends with the birds
if you ask a goose a question
he never shuts up

honestly i'm missin you
and i hope that you're missing me
cause i could use your lips on me
and a little of drammamine

for the moment i could see
way better than i've ever seen
don't sell my stuff on ebay
because i might be back
before i'm gone

before i'm gone

i'm not the kind of man
who's into looking downwards
i've drank my share of pity
from the bartenders cup

there's so many people
wondering whats the right direction
as far as i'm concerned
there's only one way up

and my fingers they are blisters
and my eyes they are bullet holes
my heart is still beating
guess i'm pretty lucky

pretty lucky

pretty lucky

pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

 


 
Had to edit a bit, but I STILL love this song. {#Sunny}
More like journey of the ...
I love these lyrics - hysterically funny! {#Clap}

 

got myself a mission
i'm going to find heaven
i made crepe paper wings
i think they'll carry me well

i left you a love poem
the best i have written
my favorite words
were the ones i couldn't spell

they say that i'm a lunatic
they say that i am full of it
i say that it's worth dreaming
just for the dream of it

it's all about passion
it's all about preception
don't call me on my cell phone
cause there ain't no reception
where i'm goin

where i'm goin

i think i'm growing feathers
but i'm not sure of it
because i started getting dizzy
about a hundred feet up

i made friends with the clouds
i made friends with the birds
if you ask a goose a question
he never shuts up

honestly i'm missin you
and i hope that you're missing me
cause i could use your lips on me
and a little of drammamine

for the moment i could see
way better than i've ever seen
don't sell my stuff on ebay
because i might be back
before i'm gone

before i'm gone

i'm not the kind of man
who's into looking downwards
i've drank my share of pity
from the bartenders cup

there's so many people
wondering whats the right direction
as far as i'm concerned
there's only one way up

and my fingers they are blisters
and my eyes they are bullet holes
my heart is still beating
guess i'm pretty lucky

pretty lucky

pretty lucky

pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

(when i'm gone)
pretty lucky

 




hear the creaky floor boards towards the end!
Sickest voice in business...?

Excuse me Cult-fans, but since I discovered the TRUE CLASS
of the BLACK KEYS, nothing else counts for me.

Except Sting, despite his "writers-block"
and his horrible new "Vegas" album!

SR
 HazzeSwede wrote:
The iPhone 4 song ! {#Yes}
 


Is v4 THAT bad?
 FluorideFreeMN wrote:


and you've posted your opinion several times now....what's the deal?
 

I hate it that much.
 Photo-John wrote:
Radio Paradise is fired.
 

You mean 'on fire'? Nobody can fire volunteers dude! {#Cowboy}
Radio Paradise is fired.
The iPhone 4 song ! {#Yes}
cloud cult makes me laugh! i love it!     {#Angel}

thanks for the intro, bill

—-
craig

"If you ask a goose a question he never shuts up. . ."  That line always makes me smile.  Wow, though, people either love their music or really hate it.  Interesting.
 Photo-John wrote:
Damn you, Bill! Every time you play this song I have to turn off RP. HATE IT!
 

and you've posted your opinion several times now....what's the deal?
 surfergirlsc wrote:
Love Radio Paradise for always introducing new things into the mix that I haven't heard. I know I can't like everything. But, this was so bad I had to rate it, comment, and mute for a minute. {#Eh}
 

Word
Love Radio Paradise for always introducing new things into the mix that I haven't heard. I know I can't like everything. But, this was so bad I had to rate it, comment, and mute for a minute. {#Eh}
 Jelani wrote:
this guys vocal chords could use a shot of botox.
 

This guy's adam's apple could use a shot of my knuckles.
Damn you, Bill! Every time you play this song I have to turn off RP. HATE IT!
 dggeek wrote:
Man, I am really liking this band.  Thanks, Bill, for opening my eyes to them!
 
I'll second that! This is why I love Radio Paradise. Never would have head CLoud Cult otherwise. thanks bill!

 ziggytrix wrote:

You rolled your truck and were fine enough to reach in and turn the ignition off... I have to ask, was the line "Guess I'm pretty lucky" playing at the time?

I flipped my car (dodging some jerk who apparently thought he was too cool for brake lights) while listening to the beginning of Beck's Loser.  So now when I'm driving and I hear that opening slide guitar loop, I get a little nervy!
 
It was a very surreal moment.
I remember going over in slow motion, hanging there in my harness, unclipping it and crawling out the window.
I realized the music was still playing, so I reached in and shut the ignition off.
Stood back and thought to myself, Crap! This is going to be a whole bunch of work.
Boy was I right...


And I was pretty lucky...


I like it. . . . at least today.  And can see where it might annoy some people.  7


did he say "my eyes are buttholes"?!
this guys vocal chords could use a shot of botox.
"It's all about passion
It's all about perception"

{#Meditate}
 fatcatjb (from Sacramento) wrote:
this song annoys me more with every listen. Hoping it falls off the playlist
too cute, too clever, too much 
 
Excre-mento could use lots more cute 'n clever.  Just sayin'.  (Yes, I really do like this song!)

 agkagk wrote:
Reminds me of Bare Naked Ladies and I can't stand them either.
 

Word. I want to punch Bare Naked Ladies in their stupid, happy faces. Same goes for this band.
Every time this song is played, I strangle a kitten. Just thought you should know.

Minus ten. The worst band ever.
{#Puke}Yuk!
I will go against popular opinion on this one — I really, really like this song.

Continuing the fine tradition of Romanticism brilliantly...would make Beethoven proud! These guys are great and getting better all the time. 8
 {#Sunny}

yeah, not buying into this
this song annoys me more with every listen. Hoping it falls off the playlist
too cute, too clever, too much