[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
David Bowie — Heroes
Album: Heroes
Avg rating:
8.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 2677









Released: 1977
Length: 6:00
Plays (last 30 days): 3
I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can beat them, just for one day
We can be heroes, just for one day

And you, you can be mean
And I, I'll drink all the time

'Cause we're lovers, and that is a fact
Yes we're lovers, and that is that
Though nothing will keep us together
We could steal time just for one day
We can be heroes forever and ever
What'd you say?

I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim
Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
Oh we can be heroes, just for one day

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be heroes, just for one day
We can be us, just for one day

I, I can remember (I remember)
Standing, by the wall (by the wall)
And the guns, shot above our heads (over our heads)
And we kissed, as though nothing could fall (nothing could fall)
And the shame, was on the other side
Oh we can beat them, for ever and ever
Then we could be heroes, just for one day

We can be heroes
We can be heroes
We can be heroes
Just for one day
We can be heroes

We're nothing, and nothing will help us
Maybe we're lying, then you better not stay
But we could be safer, just for one day

Oh-oh-oh-ohh, oh-oh-oh-ohh, just for one day
Comments (230)add comment
If you could be a Hero, just for one day, what would you accomplish?
 phlattop wrote:
how in hell did I have this at only 9? 
 

'cause you know  it's not really "that" good.
how in hell did I have this at only 9? 
"No replay"... you can understand me.  Thanks.
love and miss him 
 TerryS wrote:
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
 

This appears to be quite relevant given the current state of the presidential election.
 nohaybanda wrote:
I can't believe this song is 33 years old.
 
Neither can I. Maybe because it's 43 years already.
All these years later and this song can still give me an actual visceral reaction...must be magic...thanks DB and LLRP!
David, we miss you...
 BebePassiflora wrote:
Godlike!
 

Bowie at his Best?
But not his best album.
 wanderinglevel wrote:

i can't believe this comment is 9 years old
 

you mean 10?
I'm a cautious one...
My first 10!
 nohaybanda wrote:
I can't believe this song is 33 years old.
 
i can't believe this comment is 9 years old
Godlike!
epic...
Just awesomeğŸŽ¸
Y you CFCcvv gb F2F er the gyybhtr was
Just seen the repeated headline slot at Glastonbury 2000! Awesome performance. So glad I got to see him live, albeit the Serious Moonlight tour but I was at all three Milton Keynes dates!!!


This is one of those songs that makes me want to crank it right up and cry/sing along at the top of my voice
Heard it at least 5, 781 times.  Never gets old.  My dinner is getting cold while I wait for the end.  Heroic. At a party in 1978 (LSD looped and having the time of my life) I danced all night and this was some of the theme music. 
Wow,
If i could I would vote 3 times and give this a 30.
Simply outstanding.
sempre fantastica. unica e irripetibile. bellissima
 TerryS wrote:
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
 
Well, I took down the photo of John McCain (and the 32 up-votes), not because my opinion changed, but because it just didn't seem appropriate to have a big mug shot of a politician beside that iconic album cover.
I still feel the same about Donnie "Bone-spur" Trump's classless comments about McCain not being a hero, but felt the photo was too much of a distraction.
 SoundThinker wrote:


War criminals and mercenaries should never be celebrated! 

The worse serial killers and mass murderers on the planet are the fucks that fly fighter bombers and jet fighters! By that fact alone, Ted Bundy was a better person than McCain!
 
Now THIS is an unsound thought.  And a profane one at that.  You might want to rethink that handle.  Although, thinking doesn't seem to be a forte.
Two tens in a row!

thanks, RP!
 Slickamoe wrote:
If you ever saw Bowie, as I was fortunate to have several times, rating this song Godlike is an understatement.
 
I never had the chance to see DB, though I'll go +1 to 9 on this one...LLRP!!
10. and than some.
it's always special when singers sing at the top of their range.
 adib wrote:


Just seen this link (from three years ago) - thank you for posting - what a masterclass!
 
superb! thanks for dredging that up. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx
Opinions differ.  Consider the more deserving student displaced at the academy, 134 lost souls on the Forrestal, his tragically handicapped wife he cheated on and abandoned. 

TerryS wrote:
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
 

Smile to face......glances down at his ratings and agrees it must remain a 10
If you ever saw Bowie, as I was fortunate to have several times, rating this song Godlike is an understatement.
 bmeador wrote:
This BBC feature is a must-watch.

Absolutely fascinating.

Take a few minutes.

 

Just seen this link (from three years ago) - thank you for posting - what a masterclass!
 SoundThinker wrote:


War criminals and mercenaries should never be celebrated! 

The worse serial killers and mass murderers on the planet are the fucks that fly fighter bombers and jet fighters! By that fact alone, Ted Bundy was a better person than McCain!
 
Oh boy....while I get your point, comparing McCain to Bundy is madness....we're all human and that's what scares us most about the "Bundy's" out there....how easy would it be for YOU to be the next Bundy?  (which isn't that bad cuz he's better than McCain.....)

+1 on this Bowie song....I'm at an 8 now...still below average....Long Live RP!!
Outstanding
Robert Fripp is THE guitar god of all times!
 TerryS wrote:
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
 

War criminals and mercenaries should never be celebrated! 

The worse serial killers and mass murderers on the planet are the fucks that fly fighter bombers and jet fighters! By that fact alone, Ted Bundy was a better person than McCain!
 kingart wrote:
Just one of those classically performed and produced (thanks Eno!) tracks that was emblematic of its time and of this one. I've heard it X,000 times, somehow it seems both overplayed and not played enough. 
 
Amen to that kingart 
I have a German version from a cd titled Steal This Disc Vol. ? I have been meaning to upload it for about 15 years now...
Saw a video on YouTube of Bowie performing this in German (I think he was in Germany at the time). It was epic!
Thanks! 

 
bmeador wrote:
This BBC feature is a must-watch.

Absolutely fascinating.

Take a few minutes.

 

Just one of those classically performed and produced (thanks Eno!) tracks that was emblematic of its time and of this one. I've heard it X,000 times, somehow it seems both overplayed and not played enough. 
 TerryS wrote:
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
 
Just one of many examples.

But then I listen to RP and others as a respite from this topic, so I'll stop now.

Oh jeez, now you got me goin' again.  Lalalala...ommmmmm.
When a leader won't recognize a true hero properly because of personal differences, it shows a malicious, petty nature at work. 
I was never much of a Bowie fan, until I saw him perform this at Live Aid on MTV way back in the 80s. Such a powerful performance. Such a powerful song.
 lmic wrote:
Thank, you, Bowie.
Thanks, Bill. 

 
RIP  {#Good-vibes}
 themusicroob wrote:
Was anyone else infuriated when Hermione acted like this was the most obscure, hard to find song in the world in The Perks of Being a Wallflower?

 Yes. But then I got to thinking: the story is set in the early to mid-90s in a Pittsburgh suburb - internet was available, but not used every day (no smart phones ...), if your friends or siblings did not listen to something cool you woudl have to be lucky to find it on a mainstream rock station or one of the "alternative" stations or maybe hear it in a record store. It seems possible that one of these guys caught the song on a radio station, did not know who it was ... And Bowie wasn't exactly at the peak of his commercial success in the early 1990s.
Or Chabosky just liked the song, thought it fit the theme and then did not care much that it wasn't an obscure song.

    May I rate this song with 11{#Music}

Not sure if anyone has already posted on the bass-line similarity to the "old Memphis song" "Tryin to Live My Life without You" that Bob Seger sang, and was copied nearly exactly by the Eagles in "the Long Run" - anyways, I like this live track and rated it an 8.

Which reminds me that I'd like to hear BillG play some "song A vs song B" comparisons, like "He's So Fine" vs. "My Sweet Lord", etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryin%27_to_Live_My_Life_Without_You

Long Live RP!! 

 bmeador wrote:
This BBC feature is a must-watch.

Absolutely fascinating.

Take a few minutes.


 
What a great share, thanks!
Thank, you, Bowie.
Thanks, Bill. 
 OHMish wrote:
I don't think this is the official/best version.

One version starts with "I will be king", the other starts with "I wish I could swim"
 
The first is from the version initially released.
 DoctorWho wrote:
Repetitive, unimaginative, wrist-slittin' music...
 
Go right ahead then.
 max_p wrote:
I prefer the short version

 
Can't be long enough for me
{#Bananajam}{#Bananapiano}{#Drummer}{#Bananajam}
 wow... you may need to blast off to an alternate universe

DoctorWho wrote:
Repetitive, unimaginative, wrist-slittin' music...

 


 OHMish wrote:
I don't think this is the official/best version.

One version starts with "I will be king", the other starts with "I wish I could swim"
 
Indeed, this is different from the version I know. But it is nice to hear a little variation now and then.
Repetitive, unimaginative, wrist-slittin' music...
{#Meditate} {#Meditate} {#Meditate}
 bmeador wrote:
This BBC feature is a must-watch.

Absolutely fascinating.

Take a few minutes.
 
The genius that is Tony Visconti, too.  Thanks for this, friend.
I understand why there are many short versions of this.
This BBC feature is a must-watch.

Absolutely fascinating.

Take a few minutes.

I don't think this is the official/best version.

One version starts with "I will be king", the other starts with "I wish I could swim"
O wir koennen sie schlagen !  {#Crown}
If there can be a best of all time, this might be it.
 IndyDoug wrote:
getting chills on my skin listening at work...

 
Always gives me goose-bumps. The lyrics and Brian Eno.
 
Guess I'm not the only one that thinks Nick Cave's Nature E rocks like David Bowie.  Nice segue Bill and/or Rebecca!
 phlattop wrote:
Love the German version ("Helden") which FM radio use to actually play:
https://youtu.be/nb6Gbi1MpoE

And the backstory on this song's creation is cool: Bowie was recording in Berlin when he noticed 2 people kissing by the Wall and was inspired by what he felt was a brave act.

 
Cool man, thank you for this reference to a splendid version of this song : )  my god, the wall, the history of that kind of division and control over people, now embodied by those sick lovers Putin and Trump, scary shit can be conquered by heroes
Love Heroes following Caves, Nature Boy ..... don't know why, but it works!
 
getting chills on my skin listening at work...
Still moving after all these years and countless listens.....by definition a MASTERPIECE.  {#Innocent}
double god like.
Was anyone else infuriated when Hermione acted like this was the most obscure, hard to find song in the world in The Perks of Being a Wallflower?
 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

that was excellent.

 
Yes it was. Thanks for the recommendation!


He was my hero😕
thanx Bill, i needed that 
Mr. Bowie has got some nice future, and not tense.
 NorthernLad wrote:
This BBC feature is a must-watch.  

Producer Tony Visconti breaks down how the song was put together.

 20 minutes well spent, I would submit

 
that was excellent.
https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2008/08/04/Bowie4.jpg
This BBC feature is a must-watch.  

Producer Tony Visconti breaks down how the song was put together.

 20 minutes well spent, I would submit
It has been a steady stream of Bowie since his passing.

I am not complaining.  
This is such a fine example of his smooth finesse at mixing soul and electronic music. And wholly unique melody. One of his best. I still think of him and his artistry every day since he passed.
Hero ...
you will be terribly missed 
R.I.P.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-david-bowie-strips-back-heroes-for-the-bridge-school-20150901

A stellar version that gave me a new appreciation of this song and Bowie's talent.   
 sirdroseph wrote:


Mostly early 70s, but not all.  However I can tell you my favorite Bowie tune is Queen Bitch.

 
Bewlay Brothers and Blackstar (and everything in between).
Yeah, great song. Certifiably a classic. 
But...
what is it about? The lyrics translate as, pertain to...?
 
Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

 

Please play often and early.
{#Hearteyes}

Love when Bowie hooks up with Eno.

 
 lemmoth wrote:

There were many Bowie periods and many many Bowie songs and we all don't have to love all of them.
I love almost all - including, by my standards, this utterly amazing classic composition and execution - but understand that some may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Which Bowie songs and period are your cup of tea?

 

Mostly early 70s, but not all.  However I can tell you my favorite Bowie tune is Queen Bitch.
 sirdroseph wrote:
I hate this song.  Does this mean I should be put in a FEMA camp or is this still a republic?{#Stupid} Oh and for the record, I really like Bowie and think he has many fantastic songs, this is not one of them.

 
There were many Bowie periods and many many Bowie songs and we all don't have to love all of them.
I love almost all - including, by my standards, this utterly amazing classic composition and execution - but understand that some may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Which Bowie songs and period are your cup of tea?
I prefer the short version
epic
 sirdroseph wrote:
I hate this song.  Does this mean I should be put in a FEMA camp or is this still a republic?{#Stupid} Oh and for the record, I really like Bowie and think he has many fantastic songs, this is not one of them.

 
Raspberries. 
Clearly he was not there in Boston in 1978 when a whole big room of beautiful people was dancing with grand elation to this at 2 a.m. and I dearly hoped the song and the moment and the party would never end.
 
 kingart wrote:
I've heard it X,000 times and I'm almost tired of it—but it's undeniably a certified all-purpose all-time classic. Eno and Bowie never did it better. 

 
What he said. 
 
Been listening to this, intently early doors, intermittently of late, for over 35 years now.  Thru ups and downs, ins and outs.

Beyond legendary. Aural perfection at many levels.

To the person who just heard this  for first  time. I'm envious. 


 
Love the German version ("Helden") which FM radio use to actually play:
https://youtu.be/nb6Gbi1MpoE

And the backstory on this song's creation is cool: Bowie was recording in Berlin when he noticed 2 people kissing by the Wall and was inspired by what he felt was a brave act.
Great! It WAS NOT the german version!!!!! {#Clap}
After some quite interesting Nick Cave song (in which he really sounds like Bowie), Bill chooses to play Heroes.   :)
Love RP!   {#Notworthy}
 GOD LIKE!   {#Notworthy}  Me too!
I've heard it X,000 times and I'm almost tired of it--but it's undeniably a certified all-purpose all-time classic. Eno and Bowie never did it better. 
Fripp's guitar is sublime 
 
10 of course
Saturated tape distortion vocals never sounded so good
 linzie wrote:

......12

 
........ 13
...sigh.....perfection.
I'm with you Bill....I've heard this song at least a billion times (maybe more) but it never gets old
 musicology wrote:
looking for the 11 button...

 
......12
 oilydwarf wrote:
Sir, when a man is tired of Bowie, he is tired of life!

 
Samuel Johnson and the city of London have the Bowie t-shirt. 
looking for the 11 button...
 bb_matt wrote:
Whereas you, oldfart48, think he sucks. Probably best to keep these types of comments to yourself, to save embarrassing yourself in front of your peers.
 
Exactly.
 DaidyBoy wrote:
You can play it another million times as far as I'm concerned.  Thanks, Mr G.

 
Yes, yes, yes!
 oldfart48 wrote:
sorry Bill, this dude sucks {#Stop} seriously overproduced shlock trying to pass as rock & roll.

 
He's not trying to pass as anything other than someone who loves music, acting, performing and creating. 
An incredible individual who has inspired and influenced many artists. A cultural magpie, who in his youth, was able to discern trends and adopt them, not to mention starting trends himself. Good buddy of Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Warhol and a host of other legendary artists.

Whereas you, oldfart48, think he sucks. Probably best to keep these types of comments to yourself, to save embarrassing yourself in front of your peers. 
You can play it another million times as far as I'm concerned.  Thanks, Mr G.
We really do need an 11 rating and this is what we need it for!
I agree with Bill: never tired to give 10 to this song!
bill may not get tired of this after a "million" hearings but i definitely have—with way fewer listenings (<10. cause i turn it off now)