[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Suzanne Vega — Rock in This Pocket (Song of David)
Album: 99.9 Degrees
Avg rating:
6.7

Your rating:
Total ratings: 344









Released: 1992
Length: 3:25
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Excuse me
If I may
Turn your attention
My way
One moment
I won't plead
It isn't much
It's what I need
And what's so small to you
Is so large to me
If it's the last thing I do
I'll make you see
If you turn from me
You darken my sun
You snap that thin thread
I call my horizon
And I'd like to remind you
Of something small
That the rock in this pocket
Could cause your fall
And what's so small to you
Is so large to me
If it's the last thing I do
I'll make you see
So small to you
And so large to me
If its the last thing I do
I'll make you see
I might be out like a light
Extinguished in the throw
But I'll hit my mark
And you'll know
Because I'm really well acquainted
With the span of your brow
And if you didn't know me then
You'll know me now
You'll know me now
And what's so small to you
Is so large to me
If its the last thing I do
I'll make you see
So small to you
And so large to me
If it's the last thing I do
I'll make you see
Make you see
Make you see
Comments (39)add comment

Schmale Heide.
 Proclivities wrote:

Are there many (if any) long-established recording artists about whom that cannot be said?

 
Just the ones with time machines who have released material in the future.
I think I hear where some of Radiohead's more recent ideas may have originated ...  
I love "My Name is Luca" ... good old times.
 TheMagus wrote:
Undeniably an original talent but her best work is behind her.

 
I love Suzanne Vega's music, but sadly, I have to agree.  She is only 54, but why have all of her albums over the past six years been just reissues of her earlier work?  I have stopped going to see her in concert, since her shows were all the same, down to nearly identical banter with the audience about the songs.  But hopefully she will sometime come out with something new...
 TheMagus wrote:
Undeniably an original talent but her best work is behind her.

 
Are there many (if any) long-established recording artists about whom that cannot be said?
 TheMagus wrote:
Undeniably an original talent but her best work is behind her.
 



I disagree.., she still has talent n if u get the right producer behind her she could still be good if not great!
Undeniably an original talent but her best work is behind her.
I have loved her as long as i can remember and seeing her live recently just made it even stronger.  If you get a chance - see her live.


Suzanne Vega na LFS 2009

 

Nice photo.  Too bad the watermark ruins it.


26709_SuzanneVegaLFS01 by *formelin
Vladimír Lacena

Suzanne Vega na LFS 2009



Something about this....the beat, the vocal timing....whatever...reminds me so much of J. Mitchell's The Jungle Line....which I LOVE
 lemmoth wrote:

Had a glass with her recently - she is a very nice woman

 
Glad to the hear that (even tho I'm jealous!). It's always good to know that someone you admire as an artist is a good person.

I've always got time for Suuz, you know lending her sugar, advice, sometimes in the middle of the night,
but this is leaving me quite dead inside...
great cut off a GREAT album
 nagsheadlocal wrote:
Suzanne Vega always holds my interest. I'd love to have a cup of coffee/glass of wine with her just for the chat.
 
Had a glass with her recently - she is a very nice woman

Kinda boring, song doesn't do much for me.
Suzanne Vega always holds my interest. I'd love to have a cup of coffee/glass of wine with her just for the chat.
Thanks for reminding me to dig this album out. It's good to hear it after such a long time...
Mitchell Froom ruined Suzanne Vega in more than one way.
The production and percussion, as always, kick ass.
:curtain:
A typically intelligent piece of work from SV. Wonderful!
:sleep:
saulpena wrote:
Dig. Nine objects of desire is however a much better album.
imo, each album is really good in its own right.
Dig. Nine objects of desire is however a much better album.
One of my favorite Vega songs.
coccyx wrote:
SV's voice makes me feel dark, scared, and sad inside. A testament to the power of art? or...a reason to rate the song a 1? :sad:
Yea, I understand....was it because of "Luka"? She always seems so vulnerable. I think it takes a great artist to be able to reach inside you and stir something powerful up, even if it isn't entirely positive.
"I'll make my own tea?" :eh: :wink:
coccyx wrote:
SV's voice makes me feel dark, scared, and sad inside.
Wow. This is how critics should write.
SV's voice makes me feel dark, scared, and sad inside. A testament to the power of art? or...a reason to rate the song a 1? :sad:
LOVE THIS! Thanks Bill!
So nice to hear this riff rise up and thru my speakers, immediately guiding my hand to slightly raise the volume to give the piece its proper luminance, as it were. I think Ms. Vega is one of life's better songwriters.
Kind of an eerie voice.
SUCH a great album.
Vega Variations. I like this.
Thanks - this is also my favourite SV album. This was my upload to the LRC and Rebecca (and Bill, I'm sure) saw fit to add it immediately to the main playlist, which makes this a great way to start a Monday!
I like Suzanne Vega, but found this song a bit muddled and formulaic.
A good number from Suzanne's best album IMO.