[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Arctic Monkeys — Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured
Album: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not
Avg rating:
6.3

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1068









Released: 2006
Length: 2:21
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Ask if we can have six in
If not we'll have to have two
You're coming up our end, aren't you?
I'll get one with you
He wouldn't let us have six in
Especially not with the food
He could have just told us no, though
He didn't have to be rude

You see her with the green dress
She talked to me at the bar
How come it's already two pound fifty?
We've only gone about a yard
Didn't you see she were gorgeous
She were beyond belief
There was this lad at her side drinking his Smirnoff Ice
Can I buy you a tropical reef?

And I'm sitting going backwards
And I didn't want to leave
I said it's High Green, mate
Via Hillsborough, please

Well, how funny were that sketch earlier
Up at that taxi rank
Oh, no, you woulda missed it
It were when you went to the bank
These two lads went round proper shouting
About who was next in the queue
The kind of thing that would seem so silly
But not when they've both had a few

Well, calm down, temper, temper
You shouldn't get so annoyed
When you're acting like a silly little boy
And they wanted to be men
And do some fighting in the street
They said no surrender
No chance of retreat

And we were already in the taxi
'Cause I didn't want to leave
I said it's High Green, mate
Via Hillsborough, please

Well, drunken plots hatched to jump it
Ask around, are ya sure?
Went for it, but the red light was showing
Red light indicates doors are secured
Comments (136)add comment
LUV IT MATE

MOAR MOAR

Political commentary aside, I dig this. Hints of The Clash, not a bad thing in my book. But still original and fun. 6 for the tune, plus 1 for the title.
c.
 lnostdal wrote:


Big companies and corporations "running things" isn't a problem unless they do so by changing the law in ways that benefit them uniquely. They cannot keep buying out small companies and so on (as this eats away at their capital which they will need to compete in a "more fair" way later) — and so they are forced to compete fairly with regards to quality and price also.

..you're quite wrong here; quite typical.

 
Wow, that's pretty naive
Of course corps change laws, not directly, but through politicians whom they "buy" by making donations, funding campaigns and offering lucrative contracts and jobs. That's why there is such an issue with politicians declaring (or not) their outside or conflicting interests, at least in the UK.
Of course companies can keep buying out smaller companies, they don't lose captital, they gain. A large company can ruin a smaller one by unfair competition, then buy it at reduced price and eliminate it, so no need to compete in a "fair way". For example there is a well known bus and train co. that started in the UK, , whose business model is exactly this and that how it grew so rapidly to the size it is.

Not a bad little ditty by the way.
Fake before fake was the thing ~
 ncollingridge wrote:

Neoliberalism, like any form of fundamentalist ideology, is a grossly misguided and simplistic way of approaching a country's economy. That should be obvious to anyone with any sense. Unfortunately there are still hordes of people on the right of politics who believe that it IS that simple. But in practice all you end up with is rank after rank of big corporations who run everything for profit with no mind to the common good; basically where we are right now in the "wealthy" west.

Extreme capitalism is, in my view, as corrupt as communism. No-one in their right minds would want to live in a communist country, but because business pulls the political strings in the west we end up with a system that is becoming equally as unjust. In theory capitalism offers equal opportunity for all, but in its extreme form the only people who succeed are those who own or run the big corporations which can smother out the smaller businesses before they even get going.

Just to be clear, fredriley, I am essentially agreeing with the thrust of your post! And I love this track.

 

Big companies and corporations "running things" isn't a problem unless they do so by changing the law in ways that benefit them uniquely. They cannot keep buying out small companies and so on (as this eats away at their capital which they will need to compete in a "more fair" way later) — and so they are forced to compete fairly with regards to quality and price also.

..you're quite wrong here; quite typical.
 scrubbrush wrote:
Excellent song. great lyrics.

  
Absolutely.  True stuff for an awful lot of us.


Love it.
 ThePoose wrote:
Ever hear of the Clash?
London is calling you.

 
I think these guys are from somewhat north of London.
Excellent song. great lyrics.
Ever hear of the Clash?
London is calling you.
Not bad.

But it's "You look good on the dance floor"

At least, at this stage of their career, the lyrics are excellent and *unforced*
It is exceptionally British music and probably a lot of it just doesn't translate across the pond.

The most recent album, the lyrics are so clever forced, it's embarrassing to listen to - they completely lost that mojo.

 
it's just rock and roll, but i like it.
 ncollingridge wrote:

Neoliberalism, like any form of fundamentalist ideology, is a grossly misguided and simplistic way of approaching a country's economy. That should be obvious to anyone with any sense. Unfortunately there are still hordes of people on the right of politics who believe that it IS that simple. But in practice all you end up with is rank after rank of big corporations who run everything for profit with no mind to the common good; basically where we are right now in the "wealthy" west.

Extreme capitalism is, in my view, as corrupt as communism. No-one in their right minds would want to live in a communist country, but because business pulls the political strings in the west we end up with a system that is becoming equally as unjust. In theory capitalism offers equal opportunity for all, but in its extreme form the only people who succeed are those who own or run the big corporations which can smother out the smaller businesses before they even get going.

Just to be clear, fredriley, I am essentially agreeing with the thrust of your post! And I love this track.
 
Excellent post! This and the post that inspired it from fredriley. Thank you! Now, if I could just get this message across to more people in the state I live in...
 fredriley wrote:
Lighten up, O Didactic One. Sheffield in the 80s was known semi-seriously as the People's Republic because it was run by a Labour council under David Blunkett (yes, he once really was left-wing) and spent a lot of money on, amongst other things, public transport. It was a bastion of resistance to the destructive neo-liberalism of the Thatcher regime, and for that reason was directly targetted by the regime.  It was most definitely a better place to live than other regions of the UK which had been ravaged by untramelled Thatcherism, destruction of social welfare, and asset-stripping.
 
Neoliberalism, like any form of fundamentalist ideology, is a grossly misguided and simplistic way of approaching a country's economy. That should be obvious to anyone with any sense. Unfortunately there are still hordes of people on the right of politics who believe that it IS that simple. But in practice all you end up with is rank after rank of big corporations who run everything for profit with no mind to the common good; basically where we are right now in the "wealthy" west.

Extreme capitalism is, in my view, as corrupt as communism. No-one in their right minds would want to live in a communist country, but because business pulls the political strings in the west we end up with a system that is becoming equally as unjust. In theory capitalism offers equal opportunity for all, but in its extreme form the only people who succeed are those who own or run the big corporations which can smother out the smaller businesses before they even get going.

Just to be clear, fredriley, I am essentially agreeing with the thrust of your post! And I love this track.
Proper Arcttics.  This song rocks.
 Cynaera wrote:
First listen for this song, but it gets an automatic 8 because of that accent!  The lyrics remind me a bit of some of Francis Dunnery's stuff.  I'd happily listen to more from Arctic Monkeys! 
  same. (we miss you! )


First listen for this song, but it gets an automatic 8 because of that accent!  The lyrics remind me a bit of some of Francis Dunnery's stuff.  I'd happily listen to more from Arctic Monkeys! 
There's not many songs about getting taxis in Sheffield after pub closing time. I really love that about the Monkeys, that they're so truly local and paint such vivid pictures of working-class Sheffield life. How they've become so popular internationally is a mystery to me, but they've helped to put Sheffield back on the map after the death of the steel and mining industries.
 peter_james_bond wrote:
{#Beat} Right up there with cluster bombs and trans fat.
 
I get the cluster bombs, but leave my bacon alone!!

 My dad died of cancer in 1990 (age:70) and was a lifelong smoker. Sadly, it's one of the things that I think of, when I think of him. He always had a cigarette in his hand. {#Cowboy} I tend to forget that he could play guitar and harmonica at the same time, played piano cross-handed and could grow anything. Miss you, Dad! {#Cheers}
  9 thumbs up!
 Atlantis wrote:
I love cigarettes fo rthe record.  One of the greatest things on the planet as far as I am concerned.
 

I'd introduce you to five friends who bitterly regret their ciggie habit...only they died, slowly and painfully. 
 Atlantis wrote:
I love cigarettes fo rthe record.  One of the greatest things on the planet as far as I am concerned.
 
{#Beat} Right up there with cluster bombs and trans fat.
Great spewing narcisism.
My gawd he loves to hear himself yap, doesn't he?
I love cigarettes fo rthe record.  One of the greatest things on the planet as far as I am concerned.
 Vandy005 wrote:


I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
 
My brother didn't look so cool at age 54, himself eventually reduced to a box of ashes after several years of fighting cancer. Now one year olde than he was when he died, I'm sure glad I quit 30 years ago, after "graduating" from several packs of Marlboros per day to the same number of Camel straights (I didn't need no stinkin' filter!).

Do rich rockstar people's wives pay their taxes for them, in a people's republic?
 ocsike wrote:
If any of you had the luck to live in a real people's republic you wouldn't be so enthusiastic about that... These things don't work, and there are a couple of examples to prove that.
 

Lighten up, O Didactic One. Sheffield in the 80s was known semi-seriously as the People's Republic because it was run by a Labour council under David Blunkett (yes, he once really was left-wing) and spent a lot of money on, amongst other things, public transport. It was a bastion of resistance to the destructive neo-liberalism of the Thatcher regime, and for that reason was directly targetted by the regime.  It was most definitely a better place to live than other regions of the UK which had been ravaged by untramelled Thatcherism, destruction of social welfare, and asset-stripping.


This set (Arctic Monkeys, High Violets, Radiohead) is turning out to be really nice!
 Vandy005 wrote:
I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
 
It makes your chest x-rays look really cool ... eventually. Hack ... cough. Oh yeah and the song is pretty OK. 

 Vandy005 wrote:
I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
 
Actually, the other way around: you make it look cool. So, if you're not cool already, no amount of ciggies are going to help you.

 WonderLizard wrote:
WTG! I quit last October after some 40 years. I started mostly to look cool—and because everybody else did. Last year we lost my best friend's father and older brother, both to lung cancer. Neither of us smokes now.
 
Don't any of you know that he's hiding his Tracheotomy stoma with his smoking hand?
 rockasaurus wrote:
Especially when you're lying in a hospital bed breathing from a hole in your neck. Man, that's hot.
 
giggity-giggity

Jack_Jefferson wrote:
I started smoking as a teenager to look older. Not to look older while smoking, but for my face to look a little weathered and, consequently, appear older. I looked young for my age then and did not like it. Now, I just recently quit. I smoked my last cigarette on St. Patrick's Day.
WTG! I quit last October after some 40 years. I started mostly to look cool--and because everybody else did. Last year we lost my best friend's father and older brother, both to lung cancer. Neither of us smokes now.
Vandy005 wrote:
I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
Especially when you're lying in a hospital bed breathing from a hole in your neck. Man, that's hot.
Kinda catchy...
Sounds like The Clash, but not nearly as good. Well, I guess it is hard to compare to The Clash.
My first listen back at the end of April I gave it a 7. Second time, I'm liking it a bit more . . . 8.
Vandy005 wrote:
I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
I started smoking as a teenager to look older. Not to look older while smoking, but for my face to look a little weathered and, consequently, appear older. I looked young for my age then and did not like it. Now, I just recently quit. I smoked my last cigarette on St. Patrick's Day.
westslope wrote:
I'm not sure what to think. The album cover photo is a little troubling. People still brag about being hooked to tobacco!?!!
I don't care what you say, it does make you look cool... Ha!
MattB099 wrote:
Thing is, I think they are a welcome breath of fresh air. Music with energy and a proper edge, the lyrics have a healthy dose of good old British honesty and wit garnished with a bit of sarcasm. I can understand why they may not travel well but believe you me if more bands were as direct and unpretentious as this it would be a good thing. Long live the Artic Monkeys.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nopey-dopey. Not my taste. Then again, I don't like broccoli, either.
9-volt wrote:
Blimey! RP is still playing this mediocre brit-trash?
Seems they're pretty well respected within the rock community? Does that mean we're trash too?
Wow, how punk. :twisted:
MattB099 wrote:
Thing is, I think they are a welcome breath of fresh air. Music with energy and a proper edge, the lyrics have a healthy dose of good old British honesty and wit garnished with a bit of sarcasm. I can understand why they may not travel well but believe you me if more bands were as direct and unpretentious as this it would be a good thing. Long live the Artic Monkeys.
I totally agree. Well stated.
Blimey! RP is still playing this mediocre brit-trash?
I'm not sure what to think. The album cover photo is a little troubling. People still brag about being hooked to tobacco!?!!
Love those cheeky Arctic Monkeys!
lophrequa wrote:
i've read your posts Paul - you're a hypocrite. love from the American South ... go ahead, i know what you think you know
Thanks for the love! Not sure that occasional inconsistencies makes me a hypocrite, but thanks for reading my posts! And for commenting on my posts...twice. You don't have a gun, do you?
For this song, at least, these guys seem to be an honorable entry in the Kinks - Blur - Supergrass sarcastic British rock lineage.
Turned low, the riff reminded me of Sugarloaf's Don't Call Us (child, we'll call you). I must be slipping....
Thing is, I think they are a welcome breath of fresh air. Music with energy and a proper edge, the lyrics have a healthy dose of good old British honesty and wit garnished with a bit of sarcasm. I can understand why they may not travel well but believe you me if more bands were as direct and unpretentious as this it would be a good thing. Long live the Artic Monkeys.
Paul_in_Australia wrote:
# 23 in our series, "Why you never read the words 'America' and 'cultural sensitivity' in the same sentence"
i've read your posts Paul - you're a hypocrite. love from the American South ... go ahead, i know what you think you know
Paul_in_Australia wrote:
# 23 in our series, "Why you never read the words 'America' and 'cultural sensitivity' in the same sentence"
as if Australians don't suggest that every irritating American export should go back where it came from...
milehighYinzer wrote:
I really wish this band would just go away. Take that Led Zeppelin wanna-be Wolfmother with you too and head back to Australia.
# 23 in our series, "Why you never read the words 'America' and 'cultural sensitivity' in the same sentence"
fredriley wrote:
Aye, ye're not wrong there, lad :). Ah, the People's Republic of Sheffield - them wa' t'days. 10p to travel where you wanted, proper public services, working mines - a sadly past age :( ...
:naughty: If any of you had the luck to live in a real people's republic you wouldn't be so enthusiastic about that... These things don't work, and there are a couple of examples to prove that. About the music... well i could do without the Arctic Monkeys all right, but then again, this is RP, the headquarters of eclecticism, so I'll just wait for the next song to play... :whistle:
lawman wrote:
(Agent Provocateur?) They come from Sheffield, a big city in Yorkshire, Northern England, which has a long and very proud history of putting two fingers up to private greed, profit at the expense of the community, and all forms of pretentiousness. (At one time called People's Republic of Sheffield.) These lads are great (for a lot of us anyway!).
Aye, ye're not wrong there, lad :). Ah, the People's Republic of Sheffield - them wa' t'days. 10p to travel where you wanted, proper public services, working mines - a sadly past age :( I suppose to Yanks a Yorkshire accent sounds like Strine, but then some folk across there have a tough old time telling the difference between Scots and Aussies. Mind you, I often have trouble with US and Canadian accents (though not much trouble once I get to speak to them - the attitudinal difference is marked).
milehighYinzer wrote:
I really wish this band would just go away. Take that Led Zeppelin wanna-be Wolfmother with you too and head back to Australia.
They come from Sheffield, a big city in Yorkshire, Northern England, which has a long and very proud history of putting two fingers up to private greed, profit at the expense of the community, and all forms of pretentiousness. (At one time called People's Republic of Sheffield.) These lads are great (for a lo of us anyway).
milehighYinzer wrote:
I really wish this band would just go away. Take that Led Zeppelin wanna-be Wolfmother with you too and head back to Australia.
The songs I've heard from this album are very culturally-specific, not just to the UK but to a particular sort of street lifestyle in Sheffield. I can suss it, 'appen as like, having lived for many years in God's Own County, but I can see how even Londoners would find it hard to identify with this lot, let alone folk across the Pond. Still, this specificity is part of their attraction, and there's not many bands have come out of Yorkshire of late.
milehighYinzer wrote:
I really wish this band would just go away. Take that Led Zeppelin wanna-be Wolfmother with you too and head back to Australia.
F- for your geography skills, ignoramous.
I really wish this band would just go away. Take that Led Zeppelin wanna-be Wolfmother with you too and head back to Australia.
The Strokes gave all of their lame unrecorded songs to the Arctic Monkeys, and that's how their album came to exist.
Sounds like Franz Ferdinand to me. A compliment. Wish we could hear more of them (FF).
Different groove this time around. "Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured" followed by The Doors.
This alblum is so totally good. without a doubt the best alblum for a couple of years in all aspects. Of course my opinion is subjective, but nonetheless, i think i'm right
It's got a good beat to dance to.... I like this song for "attitude".
okay, so we just heard Victoria by the Kinks, and then the Police with Roxanne, and now this. let me guess what is next: Watching the Detectives, perhaps? just an educated guess rtkmusic wrote:
Not a big fan of the Arctic Monkeys, but a huge fan of clever segues! The Police - Roxanne into this - then into Watching the Detectives...very cool Nice work, Bill! :cheers:
Following Roxanne, and now this, 'Looks like RP has entered the Red Light district... dundunsheesh!
kazuma wrote:
I just dropped it from a 6 to a 2.
Wow. You actually had it that high?? The best bit about this track is when he says the title. Coz then you know its over.. at last.
redeyespy wrote:
This just gets worse with time.
I just dropped it from a 6 to a 2.
This week's flavour. Next year it'll be "Arctic Who?"
redeyespy wrote:
This just gets worse with time.
funny...my thoughts exactly.
This just gets worse with time.
the riff sounds like a song of the clash, isn't it?
The Arctic Monkeys were fun to listen to the first three times through one of their songs ... anything beyond that is tedium.
What I would like to know, is how many songs have the last line as the title?
Not a big fan of the Arctic Monkeys, but a huge fan of clever segues! The Police - Roxanne into this - then into Watching the Detectives...very cool Nice work, Bill! :cheers:
dbenwen wrote:
Meh. The latest Brit twits with a marginal single.
agree...I was excited when I heard the first couple songs from them, but all their freakin songs sound the same....
I think this band is insanely good. I really enjoy this cd, enough that I bought it at full freakin' price. I like the riffs, I like their sense of humor, I like the accent. As I tell people just before giving them a sampler, this is the one of the dumbest band names ever (and that's saying something) but a really good band. I can't get on that "I'm too hip to need a belt" bandwagon and diss them. They're really good. Deal with it.
Meh. The latest Brit twits with a marginal single.
exciter76 wrote:
probably the most decent song on this album....
And that's not saying much at ALL....
KidCasio on www.wayoftherodent.com :
"The Arctic Monkeys are just like a rough Yorkshire version of George Formby. I can't listen to any of their tracks without imagining the next line to be 'when I'm cleanin' winders'."
probably the most decent song on this album....
When I hear the opening line of Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do", all I wanna do is turn it off. And as for the reference to "Bud" - pass the sick bag, please! But that may be because I have nothing in common with Ms Crow. I share no cultural heritage. I think the reason why most of us listen to RP is because we hear music that we wouldn't normally hear on commercial radio. That doesn't mean we have to like what we hear, but as this group's first album was the fastest selling debut album in UK chart history, and (also according to Wikipedia) the second fastest selling for a debut indie album in America, it is reasonable to infer that this band polarises opinion. Many RP listeners appear not to appreciate this band, though many others splash their cash as they do like the band. I do understand that sales are not a proxy measure for artistic merit, but while the "I can't see what all the fuss is about" bandwagon is pretty full, can I say that I enjoy their music and the absence of commerciality. And as somebody who was once a young man roaming English city streets late at night after too many lagers and a vindaloo, I can relate to the subject matter.
I don't understand the reason of all this entusiastic comments of european musical press about this band.... ok, not bad a song.....not bad a second one.....but please..... that's enough I can't stand the same guitar riff on the 3rd, the 4th, 5th.6th.....etc :beat: :frustrated: !!!!
O V E R P L A Y E D :stop:
To mediocrity!
I keep expecting him to sing 'you look good on the dance floor'...they must have spent minutes on this...
optimusprime10 wrote:
i think this is the only song left on the album that i can still listen to.
This, too, will pass.
i think this is the only song left on the album that i can still listen to.
vandal wrote:
90% of your logic is crap. ". . . all Hype and no high." Is indeed an ironic variant of begging the question, as I understand it: "In logic, begging the question is the term for a type of fallacy occurring in deductive reasoning in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises." The assumed central point: That there is something about the Arctic Monkeys worthy of hype. The conclusion: Since there is hype regarding the Arctic Monkeys, they must be worthy of it. The implicit irony: In desnos' opinion, the Arctic Monkeys are not worthy of hype. Once again, you have overstepped your claimed aptitude.
Too funny...
Oh yes!! A class act.
Ngoziman wrote:
The end is nigh...bassist quits. They say all good things come to an end. Seems like bad things end as well!
:clap:
This is a great album, and is a much needed change of pace from all the Coldplay-alike bands out there at the moment, which is why the Emglish music press has gone a bit overboard about them IMO. It is rather "local" though, and I would guess it might not translate too well across the Atlantic. I for one hope they resist the temptation to make their music more America friendly. Whilst they may have obvious influences musically (and how many bands don't have musical influences anyway?) they are quite unique lyrically, and the overall package is outstanding.
I've tried everything I can think of, but I still don't like these guys. They are quite possibly one of the most overhyped bands in the UK at the moment. Very little to differentiate one track from the next. Not 'feeling' any of what they do. :frustrated:
vandal wrote:
90% of your logic is crap.
:high-five: I dig caffeine too. This song...not so much.
physicsgenius wrote:
They've got energy and a fresh (to the Depressorock generation) sound. Also, "begs the question" does not mean "raises the question".
90% of your logic is crap. ". . . all Hype and no high." Is indeed an ironic variant of begging the question, as I understand it: "In logic, begging the question is the term for a type of fallacy occurring in deductive reasoning in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises." The assumed central point: That there is something about the Arctic Monkeys worthy of hype. The conclusion: Since there is hype regarding the Arctic Monkeys, they must be worthy of it. The implicit irony: In desnos' opinion, the Arctic Monkeys are not worthy of hype. Once again, you have overstepped your claimed aptitude.
physicsgenius wrote:
They've got energy and a fresh (to the Depressorock generation) sound. Also, "begs the question" does not mean "raises the question".
Dude. Have you been attending anger management classes? because lately you've been making me laugh instead of cringe.
Gregorama wrote:
Second song that I've heard and liked. Does anybody know if the whole album is good? Thanks!
Yes! It's all at least this good.
The end is nigh...bassist quits. They say all good things come to an end. Seems like bad things end as well!
vandal wrote:
I used to think these guys were all show and no "go" But, in their first ever outdoor appearance they totally kicked ass at Sasquatch; lots of energy, cheeky segues, no long breaks between songs, no pandering to the audience. . . just 60 solid minutes of hard core fun. One of the best sets on the main stage at the festival, I would definitely go see them again.
I wish I could remember them better, but I was too boozed up and hurting from a little Hail...weird. Oh well all in all I found out my black fleece was in fact not water proof (contrary to what the label said), and met alot of cool people. Oh and Artic Monkeys are good stuff.
I used to think these guys were all show and no "go" But, in their first ever outdoor appearance they totally kicked ass at Sasquatch; lots of energy, cheeky segues, no long breaks between songs, no pandering to the audience. . . just 60 solid minutes of hard core fun. One of the best sets on the main stage at the festival, I would definitely go see them again.
desnos wrote:
this week's flavor for the english music press... all hype and no high... what is here that we have not heard before, which begs the question... why all the noise?
They've got energy and a fresh (to the Depressorock generation) sound. Also, "begs the question" does not mean "raises the question".
this week's flavor for the english music press... all hype and no high... what is here that we have not heard before, which begs the question... why all the noise?
I gave these guys a 2? I must have been in a good mood at the time.
Don't get the hype on these guys at all. It's awful.
Eagan wrote:
Officially comming out of the closet on this band. I tried to like them, but deep down I find them utterly annoying.
My sentiments exactly.
Officially comming out of the closet on this band. I tried to like them, but deep down I find them utterly annoying.
if i could rate this song 0 or -1 I would...just awful!
great lyrics
algrif wrote:
All languages have accents. Not one single person in the whole world speaks 'without accent'. What you might be refering to is called 'Received English' often known as 'BBC English'. Or perhaps in America known as 'Standard English'
Apparently it is called 'General American' over here.
randomprime wrote:
In spite of your sarcasm your statement is true. Only in America can one find native English speakers without accents. I am not saying no Americans have accents because clearly many do. Disclamer: IANAL - I am not a linguist.
All languages have accents. Not one single person in the whole world speaks 'without accent'. What you might be refering to is called 'Received English' often known as 'BBC English'. Or perhaps in America known as 'Standard English'
deuce wrote:
Not too bad, they grow on you after a while.
You mean like warts? I really think that the daily dose of this Arctic rubbish is way too often. Bill, give the Monkeys a rest will you. Please.... :sick:
Not too bad, they grow on you after a while.
The more I hear this, the more I like it.
blah.... :yawn:
I like lots of new stuff...but am not much impressed with this. Boring and derivative, imo. No distinguishing characteristics.
Paul_in_Australia wrote:
In fact, ALL English bands should pretend to be American, as only Americans dont have an accent. Note for oldsaltybastard; this is irony. Look up ethnocentricity in the dictionary. Yes, I am English. And yes, I do have an accent.
In spite of your sarcasm your statement is true. Only in America can one find native English speakers without accents. I am not saying no Americans have accents because clearly many do. Disclamer: IANAL - I am not a linguist.
And now ladies and gentlmen the next great overrated pretentious band......ARRRRTic MOOOONKEEEYZZZZ!
morrissey was talking smack about AM's at SXSW. then issued a statement b/c some label folks got their panties in a wad: "I actually quite like the Arctic Monkeys and whatever I said was said with tender, avuncular concern. I hope to God I didn't upset their grannies." good lord i love that man. and PS - arctic monkies are a wanna be Hot Hot Heat, which isn't even that good of a band to start with.