[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Rachid Taha — Barra Barra
Album: Made In Medina
Avg rating:
5.9

Your rating:
Total ratings: 2910









Released: 2000
Length: 5:44
Plays (last 30 days): 1
barra barra, hozd wel boghd ou zawara
"Out out; Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary"

barra barra, fezd wel l'hozd ma b'qa amene
"Out out; Destruction, jealousy ; there is no trust left"

barra barra, l'alach we ness menhoussine
"Out out; Thirst and people are unlucky"

barra barra, la horma dolm wet ouboudia
"Out out; No honour, but oppression and slavery"

barra barra, nechfou l'widane helkou b'houratte
"Out out; Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything"

barra barra, noujoum t'fate derguete chems
"Out out; Stars are switched off and the sun went down"

barra barra, ma b'qa kheir la saada wala z'har
"Out out; There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck anymore"

barra barra, ma b'kate sadjra sektou la t'iour
"Out out; There are no trees left and the birds stopped singing"

barra barra, ma bka lil ka n'har ghir dalma
"Out out; There are neither nights, nor days left; darkness only"

barra barra, jahanama ma b'ka zine
"Out out; Hell; there is no beauty left"

(...)

barra barra, k'tar z'mane ma b'kate horma
"Out out; Time has increased, there is no honour left"

barra barra, fozd l'harb we dem isil
"Out out; Ruin and war and the blood is flowing"

barra barra, ghir l'hitane l'hitane waqfine
"Out out; There are only walls left, walls standing up"

barra barra, l'khaouf wa ness saktine
"Out out; Fear and people remain silent"

barra barra, l'hozd wel boghd wa zawara
"Out out; Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary"

barra barra, wel hozd ma b'qa amene
"Out out; Destruction and jealousy ; there is no trust"

barra barra, nechfou l'widane helkou l'bhourane
"Out out; Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything"

barra barra, noujoum t'fate derguette chems
"Out out; stars are switched off and the sun went down"

(...)

barra barra, ma b'qa kheir la saada wata z'har
"Out out; There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck anymore"

barra barra, ma b'qa z'djour saktou la tiour
"Out out; There are no trees left; the birds stopped singing"

barra barra, ma b'qa lil la n'har ghir dalma
"Out out; There are neither nights, nor days left; darkness only"

barra barra, gh'bina jahanama ma b'ka zine
"Out out; Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left"

(...)

barra barra, k'tar z'méme ma b'qate horma
"Out out; Time has increased, there is no honour left"

barra barra, l'fezed wel harb wa dem isil
"Out out; Ruin and war and the blood is flowing"

barra barra, ghir l'hitane hitane waqfine
"Out out; There are only walls left, walls standing up"

barra barra, l'khaouf ness saktine
"Out out; Fear and people remain silent"

barra barra, l'hozd fezd ou zawara
"Out out; Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary"

barra barra, fezd wel hozd ma b'qa améne
"Out out; Destruction, jealousy ; there is no trust left"

(...)

barra barra, noujoum t'fate derquéte chéms
"Out out; Stars are switched off, and the sun went down"

barra barra, ma b'qa kheir la saada la z'har
"Out out; There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck left"

barra barra, ma b'qa z'djour sektou lé tiour
"Out out; There are no trees left ; birds stopped singing"

barra barra, ma b'qa lil ka n'har ghir dalma
"Out out; There are no neither nights nor days left; darkness only"

barra barra, djahanama ma b'qa zine
"Out out; Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left"

barra barra, k'tar z'méne ma b'qate horma
"Out out; Time has increased, there is no honour left"

(barra barra...)
Comments (658)add comment
a nice recovery here with him :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it, and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in, there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 
 

pretty transparent virtue signalling there, looks like people actually fall for it. congrats.
 m_logie wrote:


I gave this song a low rating because the vocal style and backing track are not to my taste.  There's plenty of music from the middle east which I do like, and I have spent a lot of time in the region and find the people and culture truly beautiful.

My dislike of this song has nothing to do with anti-middle eastern propaganda.  My dislike of this song is probably partly to do with my upbringing in the western musical tradition, but that's the extent of my prejudice.  I do not think this is a great track, and asserting it is so rather than accepting that such a judgement is purely subjective creates a straw man.

Me? I just don't like it.
 
Amerikaner und Geografie: Algerien ist nicht im Mittleren Osten, sondern in Nordafrika.
Algeria is not in The Middle East, it´s in Nordafrica.
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it, and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in, there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 
 

I gave this song a low rating because the vocal style and backing track are not to my taste.  There's plenty of music from the middle east which I do like, and I have spent a lot of time in the region and find the people and culture truly beautiful.

My dislike of this song has nothing to do with anti-middle eastern propaganda.  My dislike of this song is probably partly to do with my upbringing in the western musical tradition, but that's the extent of my prejudice.  I do not think this is a great track, and asserting it is so rather than accepting that such a judgement is purely subjective creates a straw man.

Me? I just don't like it.
This is one of the least optimistic songs ever written! Read the lyrics and weep (maybe the intended effect).
 onelittlemoose wrote:
I have no idea what's he's saying, but I love the beat and the melody. And you have to respect anyone who can rrrrrrrroll their rrrrrrrrrrrrrr's like that. That takes skill and practice. 
 
Amazing - almost as if he's a professional
After hearing this song a few times here, I streamed the whole album - it's worth a listen. 
Wow. Storm Comin' by the Wailin Jennys, then this? That was a ****storm for sure.

Another masterful segue, B&R.
Love the intense progression!
 vanillagorilla wrote:
Sounds like a scotsman coaxing a cobra out of a basket while wacked on hashish and trying to play some metal riffs on his electric sitar
 
LOL! That's it exactly! Love it! 
Fantastic track. Solid 10 from me. Captures raw emotion and desperation.
 Duc1098 wrote:
Following up "Aja" with this? Talking about going from the sublime to the ridiculous.
 
I can see not liking the song, but to call it ridiculous?!  Read the lyrics in the box to the left.  Just. READ. them.  Try to understand the frustration and the sense of hopelessness that the artist is trying, quite successfully, to convey.  There's nothing ridiculous about that.
 kingart wrote:


Algerian Singer Rachid Taha Dies at 59
https://variety.com/2018/music/news/rachid-taha-dead-dies-1202940376/
 

ارقد في سلام
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 
 
How about because it genuinely give me the creeps? 
I've been listening to this album since hearing this song on RP.  This is one of a bunch of good tracks. 
This song ruined more than one of my famous RP Naps lol...

Still, a 7 :0)
Play it loud, or you will not like it :-)
 DragonSixGolf wrote:
 It could be because the lyrics, while unknown, still manage to be repetitive and tedious. Or maybe the the simple instrumentation is boring, until layered with ministry-like samples and becomes annoying. 
 
Hmm. Repetitive lyrics, simple instrumentation. I don't know ANY songs like this, except maybe every rock song ever. (Ok, 80%). It's just a matter of what floats your boat. I find this song thrilling. It reaches something very deep. Sorry you don't like it. 
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 
 

Maybe it's because we don't like it.  Speaking of making automatic judgements... 
Very catchy tune. I could listen to more of this Algerian Arabic.
(My wife made me say that, she's from Beirut!)
Just kidding, I do like it.
Yes, give us more of this sexy, mysterious music!
 Carlo9151 wrote:
Surprised: just discovered there's the hand of Brian Eno when performing live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jde6OjPtunw 
 
I didn't know that. And now that I do I admire Eno even more. I really love his work with David Byrne on My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts. If you not already know this track, go listen to Regiment of that album. This also has this Middle Eastern vibe to it. 
Hé Hé also Robert Plant like him. So why don't you ?? 
 kingart wrote:


Algerian Singer Rachid Taha Dies at 59
https://variety.com/2018/music/news/rachid-taha-dead-dies-1202940376/
 
I was at a conference in Thessaloniki, Greece, last month when a colleague informed me of this. Sad - RIP.


Algerian Singer Rachid Taha Dies at 59
https://variety.com/2018/music/news/rachid-taha-dead-dies-1202940376/
First heard this in Black Hawk Down - sounds GREAT loud
 
Thanks Bill+Rebecca
 dabeyc wrote:
bill, i am going to ask you again to please stop playing this song. 

 
Play it again, Sam...äh, Bill!
According to the play history:

Last play: Apr 23, 2017 
 dabeyc wrote:
bill, i am going to ask you again to please stop playing this song. 

 
You're not the boss of Bill.
Following up "Aja" with this? Talking about going from the sublime to the ridiculous.
5.8? What;s wrong with you people? Don't like kebab either?
 Proclivities wrote:

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

 
Fantastic comment!
bill, i am going to ask you again to please stop playing this song. 
 vanillagorilla wrote:
Sounds like a scotsman coaxing a cobra out of a basket while wacked on hashish and trying to play some metal riffs on his electric sitar

 
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
 maboleth wrote:
I rated 10, I simply adore this tune.

 
It gets even better with every listen.  Fantastic tune
oh not again.
I rated 10, I simply adore this tune.
I logged on to RP specifically so I could rate the is 1, turns out I already did :)
Surprised: just discovered there's the hand of Brian Eno when performing live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jde6OjPtunw 
Sounds like a scotsman coaxing a cobra out of a basket while wacked on hashish and trying to play some metal riffs on his electric sitar
"Not that easy to listen to but still very powerful and quite interesting."
That's a pretty darn good assessment. They made me listen all the way through, but it definitely wasn't because it was so soothing. 
Still gets airplay in my car!
I appreciate the diversity of music provided by RP, but how low a score does it take to get a song out of regular rotation?  
Not that easy to listen to but still very powerful and quite interesting. Too bad Taha has this problem with alcohol...
Difficult to listen to the last 30 mins... 
 For me quite the opposite .  I had to turn it up louder   canuckian69 wrote:
Rarely do I have to turn off RP because of a song. This one qualified.

 


 canuckian69 wrote:
Rarely do I have to turn off RP because of a song. This one qualified.

 
You should use the PSD button and never leave "Paradise".
I love this song! Haven't a clue what they are saying but the beat and the motion could bring a cripple to his feet! 8 - 4me
Rarely do I have to turn off RP because of a song. This one qualified.
Love this song's arrival in this set, as it washes away the smooth jazzy sounds of Aja directly preceding it.
hRRRRbRRRR you what? I could only sing that right after brushing my teeth :)
Nice song though somehow... 
 cebadores wrote:
Имеет право на существование, но это арабское "барра-барра", вызывает отторжение. Алла, я в бар, нах!

 
Indeed
Имеет право на существование, но это арабское "барра-барра", вызывает отторжение. Алла, я в бар, нах!
Has a right to exist, but it is the аrab "Barra-Barra", causes rejection. Alla, I'm in a bar, nah!
Very much up my alley, thank you!
Love this track
 BesoC wrote:
Great piece of music, especially as 'Black Hawk Down' soundtrack {#Motor}

 
Very well used in the scene showing US troops choppering into Mogadishu to capture two advisors of the warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid...
Still annoying.
Woo! This following the Clash, Rock the Casbah? Awesome.I have loved Rachid Taha since BHD soundtrack came out and have seen him several times live. Really hot!!
 
 dabeyc wrote:
just can't hear this song any more. 
 
Yep totally grates on my nerves.  One of those songs that causes me to turn RP off for a few hours or days.  Just can't stand it.
Great piece of music, especially as 'Black Hawk Down' soundtrack {#Motor}
just can't hear this song any more. 
This is actually quite awesome.
 squirto wrote:

Why so serious? It's just a cool song...
 
I tend to get "serious", like many of the other commenters, when casually accused of racism. Glad you like the song, but there's a more accurate explanation for it's low rating. The world doesn't need you to be offended for it.
 DragonSixGolf wrote:

Or , maybe, just maybe...we don't think the song is very good. It could be because the lyrics, while unknown, still manage to be repetitive and tedious. Or maybe the the simple instrumentation is boring, until layered with ministry-like samples and becomes annoying. There's so many musical reasons not to like this, but you've made up your mind it's predjudice. Maybe the reason you like it, is you are a SJW try-hard? That argument as just as valid (and silly).

Edit: Just read the lyrics: another reason this song is weak. #im15andthisisdeep

 
Why so serious? It's just a cool song...

Fantastic! :)
Liked this song the first few times I heard it, but as someone who listens to Radio Paradise nearly every day, I can't stand it anymore. It always seems to be in heavy rotation. Bench it for a while. 
 n4ku wrote:
...

 
I think Michael Nesmith would like this song, actually.

But this is a great GIF.
!Read the lyrics! Quite fitting for this sad region of the world.
 
I like saying "BARRRRRRRAA BAAARRRRRRAAAA!" real loud when this comes.

Family gives me the stinkeye.
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 

 
Trump supporters reject this song.
 thewiseking wrote:

ha, ha, ha
you're so much more enlightened than the rest of us 

 
He/she certainly is.  Maybe you should change your handle being not so wise.
"Eclectic" is Radio Paradise's slogan since forever. I love it for that. Good song too.
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 

 
ha, ha, ha
you're so much more enlightened than the rest of us 
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 

 
yes, the only explanation for not liking this song is racism, and I'm glad you're so much above that.
 natcat4112 wrote:
LOL!!!!

n4ku wrote:
...

 



 
I agree with natcat4112 & n4ku!
LOL!!!!

n4ku wrote:
...

 


check the lyrics and then you can feel the singers' soul
A 9 from me! {#Dancingbanana}
Cracking tune!
...
Thanks to Utopia_Bold, and a big thanks to radio paradise for insisting on playing music that clearly polarizes listeners.
Barra Barra!
I have no idea what's he's saying, but I love the beat and the melody. And you have to respect anyone who can rrrrrrrroll their rrrrrrrrrrrrrr's like that. That takes skill and practice. 
Reminders of the purpose of this song, and how pertinent it is to all of us, are always worthwhile.  Kudos, RP.
Really not liking this, Barra barra, makes me go cold!!
A solid 8 from me. Just on how it grabs me. Compelling.
 
Why  so starry eyed,  it is a stag party.
.
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in....

 
Or , maybe, just maybe...we don't think the song is very good. It could be because the lyrics, while unknown, still manage to be repetitive and tedious. Or maybe the the simple instrumentation is boring, until layered with ministry-like samples and becomes annoying. There's so many musical reasons not to like this, but you've made up your mind it's predjudice. Maybe the reason you like it, is you are a SJW try-hard? That argument as just as valid (and silly).

Edit: Just read the lyrics: another reason this song is weak. #im15andthisisdeep
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say it is that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 

 
Well said.  {#Clap}  SOLID 10!!! {#Cool}
So. Why the low ratings? This is a great track, no question. 

I am going to say that it is because there is a middle eastern flavour to it, and in todays MSM propaganda rich soup we live in, there is a tendency for those who have bought into the fear being peddled, to automatically reject anything that is even remotely connected with peoples or styles from that area. 

Me? I gave it a solid 10. 
Love this track! Thank you Bill {#Cool}
What the f@ck is this?
{#Frustrated}
Saw this band on Jools Holland. Huge energy. Had to turn it up to 11.
 
{#Smile}bentonian wrote:
Love this! Something very appealing to me about middle eastern music and some electronica. Great mashup of styles.

 


Love this! Something very appealing to me about middle eastern music and some electronica. Great mashup of styles.
Me too.
{#Cheesygrin} I love this song
Wow this is really different, thank you from the East Coast!
 Thank you.

Utopia_Bold wrote:
 War is male violence. Male violence is the worst problem in the world.
 
 
Try to align
English translation Barra Barra

Barra Barra (Out! Out!) = bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction, jealousy ; there is no trust left
bb
Thirst and people are unlucky
bb
No honour, but oppression and slavery
bb
Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything
bb
Stars are switched off and the sun went down
bb
There are no trees left and the birds stopped singing
bb
There are neither days, nor nights left, darkness only
bb
Hell ; there is no beauty left
bb
(solo of mandolute and ululation)
—-
2.bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
bb
Ruin and war and the blood is flowing
bb
There are only walls left, walls standing up
bb
Fear and people remain silent
bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction and jealousy ; there is no trust left
bb
Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything
bb
stars are switched off and the sun went down
barra barra (in a low voice, plus crescendo)
—-
3.bb
There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck anymore
bb
There are no trees left; the birds stopped singing
bb
There are neither nights, nor days left; darkness only
bb
Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left
bb
(Silence)
bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
bb
Ruin and war and the blood is flowing
bb
There are only walls left, walls standing up
bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction and jealousy ; there is no trust left.
Stars are switched off, and the sun went down
bb
There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck left
bb
There are no trees left ; birds stopped singing
bb
There are no neither nights nor days left; darkness only
bb
Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left
bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
Barraaaaa! Barraaaaa, barraaaa, barraaaaaa!



 


Great minds think alike!
I thought that this guy is channeling an updated Talking Heads vibe 
 Let me second this! Would be a great follow up!

justin4kick wrote:
It would be nice to play Regiment by David Byrne and Brian Eno right after this one.

 


 War is male violence. Male violence is the worst problem in the world.
 
 
Try to align
English translation Barra Barra

Barra Barra (Out! Out!) = bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction, jealousy ; there is no trust left
bb
Thirst and people are unlucky
bb
No honour, but oppression and slavery
bb
Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything
bb
Stars are switched off and the sun went down
bb
There are no trees left and the birds stopped singing
bb
There are neither days, nor nights left, darkness only
bb
Hell ; there is no beauty left
bb
(solo of mandolute and ululation)
—-
2.bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
bb
Ruin and war and the blood is flowing
bb
There are only walls left, walls standing up
bb
Fear and people remain silent
bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction and jealousy ; there is no trust left
bb
Rivers were dried up and seas have ruined everything
bb
stars are switched off and the sun went down
barra barra (in a low voice, plus crescendo)
—-
3.bb
There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck anymore
bb
There are no trees left; the birds stopped singing
bb
There are neither nights, nor days left; darkness only
bb
Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left
bb
(Silence)
bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
bb
Ruin and war and the blood is flowing
bb
There are only walls left, walls standing up
bb
Sadness, hate and the reign of arbitrary
bb
Destruction and jealousy ; there is no trust left.
Stars are switched off, and the sun went down
bb
There is neither good, nor happiness, nor luck left
bb
There are no trees left ; birds stopped singing
bb
There are no neither nights nor days left; darkness only
bb
Desolation, hell, there is no beauty left
bb
Time has increased, there is no honour left
Barraaaaa! Barraaaaa, barraaaa, barraaaaaa!


{#Evil}...acoustic diarrhoea...
It's good that this kind of songs is played although it's really not my cup of tea...
It would be nice to play Regiment by David Byrne and Brian Eno right after this one.
 shlibek wrote:
Have you read the lyrics ? - I like it for that.

 
Happy guy indeed
 dabeyc wrote:
please stop with this, bill. please. please?

 
Sounds like the lion from the wizard of oz singing And he's not good at it.
Excellent track.
Odio profondamente questa "canzone"
This guy really rocks. Love the slow growth of the energy until it becomes amazingly intense.
Dig this video: https://youtu.be/iZWixWQsBdA
Fantastic piece of music, so much better than the hippy 60s crap that gets played on here!
that scream sample sounds like the one from the opening of Malcom Mcclarens Buffalo Gals.
Have you read the lyrics ? - I like it for that.
please stop with this, bill. please. please?
lol  you got that right...wish RP would stop playing this annoying song!  psd everytime

melzabutch wrote:

Make it stop.

 



 


Make it stop.

 


I hate this
 nagsheadlocal wrote:

Thanks for the laugh on this Friday afternoon . . . 

 
I'm still wondering how her name could pop up here, on a song like this one. She did a cover? Of this song? Ha-ha, yes good one, indeed, "Thank you for the laugh of this (Monday) afternoon..."
 AndyJ wrote:

This song could be about  -all- the invasions throughout history.
Physical, cultural, racial, etc.   Change comes and is resisted.
History is filled with them and all were resisted, sometimes rejected/rebuffed.

Yet, the total population continues to grow, people live longer, people are healthier, fewer children die (one is too many).
We learn more about nature, ourselves, the world and universe.
We also learn that nobody has a monopoly on skills, ability, ingenuity or ambition.
No race, culture, history is THE ONE. We were all right for a time and a place.
Humans continue to adapt. We are not finished becoming what we will be.
Our children, grand-children and great-grands will be like us, but different.

Music is but one of the universals that are unique to us humans.
I suspect that we communicated with songs, music, dance long before we used words and writing.
There is no way to prove it. It seems to fit what I have observed in my travels. Our intent and emotions are less confused.

I like this song. "It's got a good beat and I can dance with it" as an old saying goes.
I am grateful for RP and the contributors for expanding my horizons, teaching me things and opening doors for exploration.

Long version of "Can't we all just get along"...But in my words and meanings.

  
Couldn't agree more. 
Beautiful repetitive song