[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
U2 — The Fly
Album: Achtung Baby
Avg rating:
7.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1328









Released: 1991
Length: 4:27
Plays (last 30 days): 1
It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight
They say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by the moon
Y' know I don't see you when she walks in the room

It's no secret that a friend is someone who lets you help
It's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else
They say a secret is something you tell one other person
So I'm telling you, child

Gospel Voice
Love, we shine like a
Burning star
We're falling from
The sky... tonight

Low Voice
A man will beg
A man will crawl
On the sheer face of love
Like a fly on a wall
It's no secret at all


It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

Gospel Voice
Love, we shine like a
Burning star
We're falling from
The sky... tonight


Low Voice
A man will rise
A man will fall
From the sheer face of love
Like a fly from a wall
It's no secret at all


Gospel Voice
Love, we shine like a burning star
We're falling from the sky tonight
Love, we shine like a
Burning star
We're falling from
The sky... tonight


It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
The universe exploding 'cos-a one man's lie
Look I gotta go
Yeah, I'm running outta change
There's a lot of things
If I could I'd rearrange
Comments (194)add comment
Absolute shit.
U2's best album IMO....great from beginning to end.
 SteffT wrote:
One of the most overrated bands ever!!{#Headache}
 
Just like the Beatles and Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. They're in good company.
 JIan wrote:
 
I, I, I, my, my, my, you, you, you.   Listen to yourself drone on and on... self important much?  Vote with yourratings.  Mute the volume.  Better yet, go do something else.  
H8rhater, not to be a pain in the arse, but didn't Byron directly state he already does what you so wisely suggest in his original post?  Just sayin'.  Additionally, I tend to agree with what Byronape says here about U2 and other bands, that while they may be immensely popular, I never developed a particular taste for despite said popularity.  To each his/her own. No?
 



No pain received. I think you missed the point of my (Byron)ape-ing those suggestions from the OP as a a setup for the "Better yet".
 coloradojohn wrote:
One of the things I have always appreciated (had to; it's their call) about U2 is that they never make the same song twice. They evolve. I mean, in this song, Edge sounds like he's lathing metal on his guitar, and Bono delivers in close to a Michael Hutchence vocal style...


So true CJ... especially that they never make the same song twice. This is so different from their early stuff yet it has the braggadocio and swagger that we want them to give us but only the greatest bands can deliver.
 stalfnzo wrote:
Argggghhh!! I can feel my brain cells committing suicide one by one! PSD! PSD!
 
Maybe you should quit huffing paint thinner.
Argggghhh!! I can feel my brain cells committing suicide one by one! PSD! PSD!
 justin4kick wrote:

I really like your comment. However to experience this live in the open air with the lightning flashes of a thunder storm coming in from the distance was an unforgettable experience for me.

 
I agree, this tour was fabulous.
One of the things I have always appreciated (had to; it's their call) about U2 is that they never make the same song twice. They evolve. I mean, in this song, Edge sounds like he's lathing metal on his guitar, and Bono delivers in close to a Michael Hutchence vocal style...
 rushed wrote:
Highlights Edge's expertise as a rhythm guitarist and his ability to sculpt an enticing soundscape. Always a fave, generally with headphones to grab the nuances.

 
I really like your comment. However to experience this live in the open air with the lightning flashes of a thunder storm coming in from the distance was an unforgettable experience for me.
Highlights Edge's expertise as a rhythm guitarist and his ability to sculpt an enticing soundscape. Always a fave, generally with headphones to grab the nuances.
They started to lose me with this album. I saw the show live and there are much better tracks on this album, but somehow I stopped caring after this release.
One of the most overrated bands ever!!{#Headache}
 lemmoth wrote:
Love this song.  Love this album.  Love this band.  Love RP.

 
In the last 3 songs I read this same comment from you LOL
 aspicer wrote:
Outstanding tune. One of their finest albums (in top 3).

 

Had a hard time enjoying this album when it first came out (was expecting another Joshua Tree) but I'd agree with you now about that ranking. This is one of my all-time fave U2 songs. The ZooTV live version is outstanding.
Love this song.  Love this album.  Love this band.  Love RP.
superb.  What a track {#Cool}
 rdo wrote:
redacted
 

My how you do cry like a babe.
 DeemerDave wrote:
So have you met Bono? Chatted with him or his friends to find out how he thinks of himself? Read interviews from reliable sources maybe?
I didn't think so.
Keep your uninformed character assassinations to yourself.
 
Thank you.
So tired of these Bono-obsessed whiners.  {#Rolleyes}
F that....Just last week, I kid you not, there were two headline news stories about Bono.  One was for him "falling down".  The other was for his private aircraft hitting turbulence.  This is a man litterally running for the post of world leader and world saviour.  He spammed some toxic waste "music" on every single Earthling's iPhone last month and this caused a media sensation and a record number of trips to the bathroom to vomit.  Now he is fucking Big Brother and we cannot even get the jerk off our smart phones.
 rdo wrote:
easmann:  when you have hundreds of millions of dollars, then it is newsworthy nowadays if you are a miser and don't give a lot of it away.  Giving money away and do-gooding is fine, but it is nothing heroic or special when you are a mega rich publicity whore.  Who wouldn't give lots of money away if they had it to give?  Why make a spectacle of yourself about it?  Why rub shoulders with third world dictators to get them off the hook from paying their debts, so they can deposit it in the Cayman islands instead?  St. Bonio sees himself as a Christ-like figure and it is vomit inducing to see him talked about on every fucking entertainment tabloid and news show.  Capiche?
 
So have you met Bono? Chatted with him or his friends to find out how he thinks of himself? Read interviews from reliable sources maybe?

I didn't think so.

Keep your uninformed character assassinations to yourself. 
Wish the new album was 3/4 as good as this one....{#Confused}
 ScottN wrote:
What did you think of the song?  I could give a rats patootey what you think of Bono.



 
ditto, Scott.
 rdo wrote:
easmann:  when yiu have hundreds of millions of dollars, then it is newsworthy nowadays if you are a miser and don't give a lot of it away.  Giving money away and do-gooding is fine.  St. Bonio sees himself as a Christ like figure and it is vomit inducing to see him talked about on every entertainment and news show.  Capiche?
  What did you think of the song?  I could give a rats patootey what you think of Bono.


easmann:  when you have hundreds of millions of dollars, then it is newsworthy nowadays if you are a miser and don't give a lot of it away.  Giving money away and do-gooding is fine, but it is nothing heroic or special when you are a mega rich publicity whore.  Who wouldn't give lots of money away if they had it to give?  Why make a spectacle of yourself about it?  Why rub shoulders with third world dictators to get them off the hook from paying their debts, so they can deposit it in the Cayman islands instead?  St. Bonio sees himself as a Christ-like figure and it is vomit inducing to see him talked about on every fucking entertainment tabloid and news show.  Capiche?
This is just terrible.
{#Sleep}
Seem to be a lot of haters out there, but for myself, I like it. {#Dancingbanana_2}
 lemmoth wrote:
Great song live.

 
yes. definitely!
Outstanding tune. One of their finest albums (in top 3).
 CanuckMakem wrote: Estoy de acuerdo totalmente  {#Cheers}
Couldn't agree more 

{#Frustrated} 

 


Great song live.
First some context for this album: late 80's /early 90's, The Cold War was coming to an end and the Berlin Wall was starting to be demolished. A new world needed new music. Achtung Baby clearly represents the spirit of that era. U2 is (was) IMO a band that portraited the change and "avantgard-ness" of those times. No more 4-guys-lost-in-the-desert look or sound. 
When an artist lives up to its historic period and adapts to change it is when real art is produced. I'll give them that. 
 perrygibbs wrote:

thanks for the psd function



 
Couldn't agree more 

{#Frustrated} 
 Zeito wrote:

This was the first U2 album that really grabbed my attention personally.  Their work in the '90s was really groundbreaking, IMHO.

 
Interesting. I thought the had their cutting-edge moments in the 80s as well, or at least albums that induced a lot of copy-cat bands like The Alarm. Unforgettable Fire shook people up when it came out. I remember listening to Joshua Tree in early '87 and thinking that it might be of one the best rock albums of all time. These days JT and Achtung Baby are my faves, although it's easier to get into AB. Music has changed drastically since the 80s...

U2's success in both decades had a lot to do with Brian Eno--the guy often changes bands for the better IMO. I missed the fire and passion of 80s U2 when stuff like Zooroopa came out, although I like that album. You have to give credit to the band for staying ahead of fans' preferences for a while and for not getting stuck in a rut.  

thanks for the psd function


 kcar wrote:

A lot of U2 fans hated this album at first because they wanted the band to make more "Joshua Tree"-like music. The guys kinda shot themselves in the foot with the bland and self-congratulatory "Rattle and Hum." 

It took me quite a while to warm up to this album but it's one of my U2 faves. The video from the ZooTV tour is greatgreatgreat. 
 
This was the first U2 album that really grabbed my attention personally.  Their work in the '90s was really groundbreaking, IMHO.
 Euskadita wrote:
This song really sounded different the time it was launched. It's 1 out of 5 songs I like from this band!
 
A lot of U2 fans hated this album at first because they wanted the band to make more "Joshua Tree"-like music. The guys kinda shot themselves in the foot with the bland and self-congratulatory "Rattle and Hum." 

It took me quite a while to warm up to this album but it's one of my U2 faves. The video from the ZooTV tour is greatgreatgreat. 
 Byronape wrote:

Ok, I'm something of a hater so I'll go ahead and hate on...

Popular and good (by my standards since the music is going into my ear holes and my opinion is the only one that counts to me) have little to do with each other.  If you look at a top ten list of the highest grossing concerts in history, you will see a lot of the same names.  The Rolling Stones (I don't really like them), ACDC (eh, depends on my mood), Madonna (don't even get me started), The Police (depends on the song), and Bon Jovi (hatehatehate...)  So, I offer this list up as evidence that good and popular do not always have a connection.

Besides, spouting numbers at me or telling me how popular a band is will do nothing to change my opinion of of the music.  I'm either going to like it, love it, hate it, or be indifferent to it.  Nothing you say will change that and nothing that everyone else likes will influence me one way or another.  

For the most part, I know I'm in the minority of RP listeners when it comes to U2.  I'm ok with that.  I vote with my ratings and if I don't like what I'm hearing, I mute the volume or go do something else.  

Please don't make the assumption that facts have anything to do with something as subjective as taste in music.  If I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't like something, then it just means that it didn't do happy things for my ears.  Maybe that makes me strange or my tastes questionable, but I don't care.  My tastes are mine and I don't feel compelled to tell anyone why they are wrong.  Doing so would gain me nothing and only lower me to the level of the people that think sales or popularity should define my tastes.  
  
I, I, I, my, my, my, you, you, you.   Listen to yourself drone on and on... self important much?  Vote with yourratings.  Mute the volume.  Better yet, go do something else.  
H8rhater, not to be a pain in the arse, but didn't Byron directly state he already does what you so wisely suggest in his original post?  Just sayin'.  Additionally, I tend to agree with what Byronape says here about U2 and other bands, that while they may be immensely popular, I never developed a particular taste for despite said popularity.  To each his/her own. No?
As I've said before, U2, one of the bands that come around a bit too often on here for my liking.
 Byronape wrote:

Ok, I'm something of a hater so I'll go ahead and hate on...

Popular and good (by my standards since the music is going into my ear holes and my opinion is the only one that counts to me) have little to do with each other.  If you look at a top ten list of the highest grossing concerts in history, you will see a lot of the same names.  The Rolling Stones (I don't really like them), ACDC (eh, depends on my mood), Madonna (don't even get me started), The Police (depends on the song), and Bon Jovi (hatehatehate...)  So, I offer this list up as evidence that good and popular do not always have a connection.

Besides, spouting numbers at me or telling me how popular a band is will do nothing to change my opinion of of the music.  I'm either going to like it, love it, hate it, or be indifferent to it.  Nothing you say will change that and nothing that everyone else likes will influence me one way or another. 

For the most part, I know I'm in the minority of RP listeners when it comes to U2.  I'm ok with that.  I vote with my ratings and if I don't like what I'm hearing, I mute the volume or go do something else. 

Please don't make the assumption that facts have anything to do with something as subjective as taste in music.  If I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't like something, then it just means that it didn't do happy things for my ears.  Maybe that makes me strange or my tastes questionable, but I don't care.  My tastes are mine and I don't feel compelled to tell anyone why they are wrong.  Doing so would gain me nothing and only lower me to the level of the people that think sales or popularity should define my tastes. 
 
{#Yes}
 Bosami wrote:
Such a great song - and weirdly awesome guitar solo.
 
it could be my favourite guitar solo, and it's the weird bits that I like.
Actually, it's an unusually rhythmic solo, with lot's of fun call-and-response within the solo. And when Bono's vocals layers over at the end...
 Byronape wrote:

Ok, I'm something of a hater so I'll go ahead and hate on...

Popular and good (by my standards since the music is going into my ear holes and my opinion is the only one that counts to me) have little to do with each other.  If you look at a top ten list of the highest grossing concerts in history, you will see a lot of the same names.  The Rolling Stones (I don't really like them), ACDC (eh, depends on my mood), Madonna (don't even get me started), The Police (depends on the song), and Bon Jovi (hatehatehate...)  So, I offer this list up as evidence that good and popular do not always have a connection.

Besides, spouting numbers at me or telling me how popular a band is will do nothing to change my opinion of of the music.  I'm either going to like it, love it, hate it, or be indifferent to it.  Nothing you say will change that and nothing that everyone else likes will influence me one way or another. 

For the most part, I know I'm in the minority of RP listeners when it comes to U2.  I'm ok with that.  I vote with my ratings and if I don't like what I'm hearing, I mute the volume or go do something else. 

Please don't make the assumption that facts have anything to do with something as subjective as taste in music.  If I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't like something, then it just means that it didn't do happy things for my ears.  Maybe that makes me strange or my tastes questionable, but I don't care.  My tastes are mine and I don't feel compelled to tell anyone why they are wrong.  Doing so would gain me nothing and only lower me to the level of the people that think sales or popularity should define my tastes. 
 
I, I, I, my, my, my, you, you, you.   Listen to yourself drone on and on... self important much?  Vote with your ratings.  Mute the volumeBetter yet, go do something else


This album is so underrated.
Such a great song - and weirdly awesome guitar solo.
This song really sounded different the time it was launched. It's 1 out of 5 songs I like from this band!
 Sloggydog wrote:
I remember seeing this album on when good bands go bad
Well, for me this their best album and a Masterpiece at that. 


I remember seeing this album on when good bands go bad

If we are honest, we have to admit that U2 is half the good band

we think they are!

 

THE EDGE is a mediocre guitar-player without his machines

On bass is an amateur

Voice is great and drums are OK!

 

Still - 10 great songs is not much for a band of that status being 30 years

in business!


KILLING PRO BONO!
 On_The_Beach wrote:

So Bono, how long have you been using this "MiracleDrug" handle?
Really, you're not fooling anyone.  ; )
 

ROFL {#Lol}
 MiracleDrug wrote:
THEY ARE WILDLY POPULAR and HAVE BEEN FOR DECADES (etc.)
 
So Bono, how long have you been using this "MiracleDrug" handle?
Really, you're not fooling anyone.  ; )
 dwhayslett wrote:

Well, except for the reason that fewer of their fans would have gotten to see them, most likely, as playing multiple smaller venues per city would have resulted in fewer cities being visited.  (Or maybe a 4 year tour.)
 

and in addition the real point in all this is:


THEY ARE WILDLY POPULAR and HAVE BEEN FOR DECADES


if you don't happen to agree with the millions of us world-wide that do like their music...
that's fine...

just be aware your opinion is a minority view...

 On_The_Beach wrote:

Well, congratulations, they made sh*tloads of cash; so did Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian.
Further to Byronape's insightful comments below, the reason the tour was "high-grossing" is because they charged ridiculously high prices for the honour of seeing them in massive, soulless football stadiums where the sound and view suck beyond all hope (trust me, I made the mistake of seeing them on said tour). There's no reason (other than greed) they couldn't play multiple nights in smaller venues. I like U2 as much as the next guy, but they lost my respect when they started putting profits ahead of their fans.
 
Well, except for the reason that fewer of their fans would have gotten to see them, most likely, as playing multiple smaller venues per city would have resulted in fewer cities being visited.  (Or maybe a 4 year tour.)
 MiracleDrug wrote:
By its conclusion, U2 360° had set records for the highest-grossing concert tour with $736 million in ticket sales, and for the highest-attended tour with over 7.2 million tickets sold.
 
Well, congratulations, they made sh*tloads of cash; so did Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian.
Further to Byronape's insightful comments below, the reason the tour was "high-grossing" is because they charged ridiculously high prices for the honour of seeing them in massive, soulless football stadiums where the sound and view suck beyond all hope (trust me, I made the mistake of seeing them on said tour). There's no reason (other than greed) they couldn't play multiple nights in smaller venues. I like U2 as much as the next guy, but they lost my respect when they started putting profits ahead of their fans.


Let's ZIP it !!!!  {#Naughty}{#Grumpy}
I give it an 8 for The Edge, but I'd give it a 9 if it were an instrumental.

Love. It.
9! {#Razz}
 MiracleDrug wrote:
the HATE continues I see...

good thing MOST people disagree...

By its conclusion, U2 360° had set records for the highest-grossing concert tour with $736 million in ticket sales, and for the highest-attended tour with over 7.2 million tickets sold.

hate ON haters...

 
Ok, I'm something of a hater so I'll go ahead and hate on...

Popular and good (by my standards since the music is going into my ear holes and my opinion is the only one that counts to me) have little to do with each other.  If you look at a top ten list of the highest grossing concerts in history, you will see a lot of the same names.  The Rolling Stones (I don't really like them), ACDC (eh, depends on my mood), Madonna (don't even get me started), The Police (depends on the song), and Bon Jovi (hatehatehate...)  So, I offer this list up as evidence that good and popular do not always have a connection.

Besides, spouting numbers at me or telling me how popular a band is will do nothing to change my opinion of of the music.  I'm either going to like it, love it, hate it, or be indifferent to it.  Nothing you say will change that and nothing that everyone else likes will influence me one way or another. 

For the most part, I know I'm in the minority of RP listeners when it comes to U2.  I'm ok with that.  I vote with my ratings and if I don't like what I'm hearing, I mute the volume or go do something else. 

Please don't make the assumption that facts have anything to do with something as subjective as taste in music.  If I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't like something, then it just means that it didn't do happy things for my ears.  Maybe that makes me strange or my tastes questionable, but I don't care.  My tastes are mine and I don't feel compelled to tell anyone why they are wrong.  Doing so would gain me nothing and only lower me to the level of the people that think sales or popularity should define my tastes. 


the HATE continues I see...

good thing MOST people disagree...

By its conclusion, U2 360° had set records for the highest-grossing concert tour with $736 million in ticket sales, and for the highest-attended tour with over 7.2 million tickets sold.

hate ON haters...



 MiracleDrug wrote:
this song is MURDEROUS live...{#Bananajam}
 
and MURDER to hear on RP. What a waste of bandwidth.
 PA1749 wrote:
U2 was just voted the best band of the past 25 years by Q magazine. I agree!

Oh good, another magazine i dont have to read....... 

such a lame band.  WTF, it works !

 




U2 was just voted the best band of the past 25 years by Q magazine. I agree!
Bloody hell. You really hate this don't you! I give it an 8 for being a fabulously well written ultra-pop song.

 
redmachine wrote:
There is never, ever a good reason for playing this soul-less corporate wank.
Hateful middle of the raod rubbish for people who do not understand the real soul of music.
 


There is never, ever a good reason for playing this soul-less corporate wank.
Hateful middle of the raod rubbish for people who do not understand the real soul of music.
Fair enough if that's your idea of good music.
I'd rather listen to a singer with real soul as opposed a smug tool like Bonio.
Millions of people like Coldplay or joined the Nazi party, doesn't make it right ;)

 
That_SOB wrote:


Perhaps a {#Chillpill} pill will provide a bit of analgesic help for your pain. I happen to like this album very much, and my guess is that there are millions just like me out there. A little tolerance goes a long way.



 

 redmachine wrote:
                                                      // but playing this crap is painful.

 

Perhaps a {#Chillpill} pill will provide a bit of analgesic help for your pain. I happen to like this album very much, and my guess is that there are millions just like me out there. A little tolerance goes a long way.



It is totally bemusing why anyone likes U2, Truly awful music from a one dimentional band who have been clogging the airwaves for far too long. RP plays some brilliant stuff but playing this crap is painful. Can't believe there is no 'zero' option in the ratings.


 Cynaera wrote:
I love U2, but lately, I think I loved them more when I didn't know anything about them.
 
Second that. I once bought a DVD from them. Couldn't stand to watch almost 2 hours of Bono taking life very seriously while being very important. So the DVD was a waste of money.

 Stingray wrote:
U2 come out with a new album before CHRISTMAS-2010!
 
They did. It was called Spiderman, The Musical.{#Frustrated}

Bono is too busy being a self-appointed ambassador for the U.S. these days for U2 to do anything good anymore.
this song is MURDEROUS live...{#Bananajam}
 LPCity wrote:
Kick Ass Live Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIQPCLosWQ
 
I love the rush, but I hate the Schtick.  NO intimacy, no nuance. Maybe if I'd been there, I'd have been swept away by the sheer power of it all, but to watch it on YouTube? I saw tired faces, bored expressions, and cued musical interludes. It was almost like the whole band wanted to be somewhere else.   Still, the music was powerful, as always.  I love U2, but lately, I think I loved them more when I didn't know anything about them.

Kick Ass Live Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIQPCLosWQ


{#Bananajam}
 januismer wrote:
Rather have the old school.
 
It's 2 decades old.

Rather have the old school.
yahoo!  {#Sunny}
 Shaken_Bake wrote:
I've always wondered who does the falsetto background vocals - is that Edge, or overdubbed Bono?  I love that aspect of this song.

 
That's the Edge doing the falsetto vocals.

Love this song!!!

Remember when it came out thinking how different it sounded from all their previous albums.

Change is good, people!

Just dreadful. Why when there's so much good music out there?


Why the haters....great tune, especially live!
U2 come out with a new album before CHRISTMAS-2010!
Twice in seven days?

Come on, RP!  There is plenty of good music out there.
in an overproduced over driven whisper, I must say that "this sucks"

U2's time passed long ago. . . retire!
 pope183 wrote:
Achtung Baby 'the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree'
  
That was exactly my reaction. I was a huge U2 fan at the time this CD came out and was not very happy.
Dude. That quote is from BONO. Sheesh... 


 Shaken_Bake wrote:
I've always wondered who does the falsetto background vocals - is that Edge, or overdubbed Bono?  I love that aspect of this song.
 
Live it is the Edge doing the falsetto. On the album... not sure. (Sounds like Bono though...)

 coccyx wrote:

  "..man will fall
from the sheer face of love
like a fly from a wall"

Anybody ever actually see a fly fall off a wall?   I mean, those suckers just walk around up there like nuthin!

 
I always assumed it's like the swatted fly on a wall. "BAP!" Down you go. ^_^
I've always wondered who does the falsetto background vocals - is that Edge, or overdubbed Bono?  I love that aspect of this song.

 coccyx wrote:

  "..man will fall
from the sheer face of love
like a fly from a wall"

Anybody ever actually see a fly fall off a wall?   I mean, those suckers just walk around up there like nuthin!


 
 this just slays me every time..

regardless, best album vote here.


If it wasn't so late and I didn't have neighbors (and my windows weren't open and my brother wasn't in the next room), I'd have this cranked up.  Oh, damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead!!!!!  {#Roflol}
 Shouc wrote:
Forget Joshua Tree, this is U2's best album. Every song is amazing.
 
YES indeed !!  {#Yes}
Nice start of a rainy day, this is great.
 Bosami wrote:
The Edge....wow. Love this guitar work.
 

Agreed, too bad Bono had to crap his crap lyrics over most of it..
BTW, this is a good song, sue me!{#Lol}
The Edge....wow. Love this guitar work.
 coccyx wrote:

  "..man will fall
from the sheer face of love
like a fly from a wall"

Anybody ever actually see a fly fall off a wall?   I mean, those suckers just walk around up there like nuthin!


 
You're right! Bono really goofed up his metaphor there. He should stick to saving the world {#Smile}

  "..man will fall
from the sheer face of love
like a fly from a wall"

Anybody ever actually see a fly fall off a wall?   I mean, those suckers just walk around up there like nuthin!


 lemmoth wrote:
Brilliant song from a fantasic album.
 
I agree. I think of it as the album where U2 discovered irony.

 LowPhreak wrote:

Yes, I guess as you get older, you're not allowed to do a rock tune anymore. {#Rolleyes}  I'm no big U2 fan, but give that crap a break.
 

Actually, I wish that were so. I mean you should have the freedom to do what you wish, but some things just ought not be done; Grace Slick was absolutely right on this matter.{#Yes}
Brilliant song from a fantasic album.
Forget Joshua Tree, this is U2's best album. Every song is amazing.
For some reason I'm hearing A LOT of the cowbell in this one.  Distracting.
 LowPhreak wrote:

Yes, I guess as you get older, you're not allowed to do a rock tune anymore. {#Rolleyes}  I'm no big U2 fan, but give that crap a break.
 

that's not what I was trying to say at all (hey I luv the stones, (60s) and others (pj-same ages as U2) in that particular age category and mick and eddie can still pull it off). the point is how some of their previous nominal tunes now shine like diamonds in comparison to the drek they put out now that's all {#Shhh}
U2 at its most fatuous.
 ecyfoto wrote:
Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are my U2 favs. Could this have anything to due with both being produced by the pairing of Lanois and Eno? Hmmm
 
here's some sensible pondering. better than "they sure are getting olllllllld ..."
 orpheus wrote:
this song is so much better than what they put out now. anyone see their latest venture on SNL? The Edge still has the licks, but watching "pushing 50" Bono swinging around on his light cable singing their latest and pseudo-latest crap was almost unbearable {#Razz}
 
Yes, I guess as you get older, you're not allowed to do a rock tune anymore. {#Rolleyes}  I'm no big U2 fan, but give that crap a break.
Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are my U2 favs. Could this have anything to due with both being produced by the pairing of Lanois and Eno? Hmmm
{#Puke}
this song is so much better than what they put out now. anyone see their latest venture on SNL? The Edge still has the licks, but watching "pushing 50" Bono swinging around on his light cable singing their latest and pseudo-latest crap was almost unbearable {#Razz}
 EssexTex wrote:
Can't enjoy anything by them apart from War and Joshua Tree.

Boner and the boys just lost it after that.
 

Funny, I liked the earlier albums a lot, then thought they started to lose it a bit after War and JTree - only to feel like they'd dramatically revived their mojo with Achtung Baby. I didn't like every song on AB, but I sure liked this one, and almost all of the songs.
Sad to not be able to appreciate something as strong as this because you feel like they have betrayed some pigeonhole you assigned them. "They're not doing protest rock; turncoats." If they had stayed a one note wonder they would have disappeared years ago. They have successfully reinvented themselves several times. And this song is strong.
 EssexTex wrote:
Can't enjoy anything by them apart from War and Joshua Tree.

Boner and the boys just lost it after that.
 
I think it's just an age thing {#Shhh}.  I thought Joshua Tree was as sad departure from their protest rock sounds from Boy and War :)

Can't enjoy anything by them apart from War and Joshua Tree.

Boner and the boys just lost it after that.
sucky song.
Fantastic concert last night in BOSTON!!  Please, detractors, try to give U2 a fresh listen.  The band's music can be so uplifting, especially this current album, if you can put aside the caricatures and just let them be who they are — four guys who give it their all and manage to touch the hearts of so many people all over the world.
The Fly

Just Kidding - Love the song and album!
 SweTex wrote:

 

{#Roflol}

 jmsmy wrote:
The best album of the 90's - everybody should own this CD - U2 is the only band that comes close to reinventing themselves as much as The Beatles did
 
Couldn't agree more (though this is arguably my least favorite track).
And the earlier poster's comment that if any band should have quit at its peak (and that U2 should've after Achtung) ... come on, are you kidding? Most of the subsequent albums, while not reaching the lofty peaks of the Joshua Tree and Achtung, are still pretty damn good.