[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Dave Matthews Band — American Baby
Album: Stand Up
Avg rating:
5.1

Your rating:
Total ratings: 142









Released: 2005
Length: 4:33
Plays (last 30 days): 0
if these walls came crumbling down
and fell so hard to make us lose our faith
from what's left you'd figure it out
and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day

stay beautiful, baby
I hope you stay American, baby
American baby

nobody's laughing now
God's grace lost and the devil is proud
but I've been walking for a thousand miles
one last time I could see you smile

I, I, hold, hold on to you
you bring me hope I'll see you soon,
and if I don't see you
I'm afraid we've lost the way

stay beautiful, baby
I hope you stay American, baby
American baby
American baby

(that's the way) I hold on to you,
you lift me up and always will
I see you in light
hope I don't get left behind

I, I, hold, hold on to you,
you bring me hope I'll see you soon
and if I don't see you
I'm afraid we've lost the way

stay beautiful, baby
I hope you stay American, baby
I hope you stay beautiful, baby
I hope you stay American, baby
American baby
American baby

Stay American, baby
beautiful

nobody's laughing now
'cause you could always make me laugh out loud

stay American, baby
American baby
stay American, baby
American baby
Comments (43)add comment
That was just awful.
DMB - The most over-rated band of the past 20 years. 1 good album, 2 good songs and now they can put anything out and their mindless minions will lick it up. Would have been better off finishing the set with America by Neil Diamond.
Oh god, after Jackson Browne - For America, then this song the RP stream must be clearing ... Oscar
How does "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" fit into the theme of "America"? 9:04 am - Dave Matthews Band - American Baby 8:59 am - Jackson Browne - For America 8:55 am - Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World Ha Ha Just Kidding
now that got me in the mood for some Dave - I think I'll listen to a few albums then come back to RP in a bit. I feel bad for all those who have such vitriol for the DMB - I suspect they're letting the popular image of the band and its fans get in the way of their ears.
I love Dave... I couldn't stand this song when it came out, until I saw the Abbey Road session where Dave explains what this song is all about. Musically though, this song blows.
I love it. And I love Dave... :hearteyes:
Platypus wrote:
is there a song in there somewhere? this actually sounds like there's absolutely nothing there whatsoever. how'd they do that?
he's dave matthews, it's his trademark
I loved these guys back in the 90s, but this song just goes to show...it's over!
This song ended my love affair with the Dave Matthews Band
is there a song in there somewhere? this actually sounds like there's absolutely nothing there whatsoever. how'd they do that?
rush-2112 wrote:
probably the worst DMB song to get radio play...repetitive and not imaginative in anyway.
I disagree I think "I Did It" off of the Everyday CD is the worst thing I have heard from them. I think after the summer tour that was sort of promoting that CD they buried that one. American Baby did have to grow on me a little but I acutally have started to like it.
Wow, Dave just wont stop shitting on the public, will he?
probably the worst DMB song to get radio play...repetitive and not imaginative in anyway.
So much charisma, amazing musicianship... and yet so much of his material just slides past me. i can't deny that he's clearly gifted, and the band is great... I want to like his material more than I do. Never seem to get past the 'h'm... interesting.'
I'm reserving adding my opinion on this specific song, because I haven't heard the entire thing. Also, with a lot of DMB music, it doesn't hit me until I've heard it a few times. They do have some songs that don't resonate with me, but they also have songs that speak to my deepest beliefs about being human, alive, sensual, loving, fun-loving, aware and, sometimes, just plain fucked up.....the whole shebang. Unfortunately, much of their best music is never heard, because it doesn't get the commercial airplay. They're also best live. Last night I found out that I got row A center to their first concert of this summer. :jump:
Trustocity wrote:
Being rational is overrated. "God frustrates the intelligence of the intelligent." But you were right about beck. :)
No, you frustrate the intelligence of the intelligent with apologetic quotes like that. Once you realize that God and life are not separate, but that we are all one (you, me, God), maybe then you will cease in your pursuit of lame and irrational explanations to support a book that was written before modern science. If you can explain wisdom teeth and the need for the appendix without referring to Genesis, then there may still be some hope for you. But thanks for the back handed compliment nonetheless. :D
Chunnamark wrote:
Yeah, I have to admit I agree... hopefully they are doing the thing where they release the crappiest song from the album as a single (like they always do)... Gravedigger... will you dig my grave..
I thought maybe this was solo DM because it isn't the usual DMB sound which I don't care much for.
...Dave Matthews...I don't get the attraction...never have...this one hasn't changed my mind...
emleamy wrote:
I enjoy DMB but this song is just meh.
Yeah, I have to admit I agree... hopefully they are doing the thing where they release the crappiest song from the album as a single (like they always do)... Gravedigger... will you dig my grave..
kevbo77 wrote:
Coppertop wrote:
"Maybe that's why so many people can't believe in the theory of evolution :) They're scared of change."
They dont believe in evolution because their religious beliefs prevent them from being rational, and using the brain that God gave them,...gotta love irony.
Being rational is overrated. "God frustrates the intelligence of the intelligent." But you were right about beck. :)
I enjoy DMB but this song is just meh.
Coppertop wrote:
"Maybe that's why so many people can't believe in the theory of evolution :) They're scared of change." They dont believe in evolution because their religious beliefs prevent them from being rational, and using the brain that God gave them,...gotta love irony.
As far as I'm concerned Both Beck and Dave Matthews Band are brillant. Sure Beck may have a different SOUND each album that he makes. He is still the same Beck, he's distinctive in his own right. I don't listen to Beck because he is always doing something different. I listen to Beck because he is familar in his style. Even if the theme of his music is different, he is still the same Beck. I hear it, it's Beck plain and true. As far as Dave Matthews Band goes, just because thay don't mix up their genara dosen't give way to the fact they have a good thing going. Dave Matthews Band is a comfort as far as I'm concerned. Even if it sounds like Dave, well GOOD! Would you stop listening to Jazz because it all sounds the same? The truth is we listen because we know it's something wonderful. The reason it plauges us is because we crave change. What's wrong with comfort?
kevbo77 wrote:
Beck is not a good example. Beck fans are not a good representation of the music buying population. His music is, and always has been ecclectic, as are his fans. What im saying is that, imho, most people are resistant to change in just about every area of their lives. There are others, however, who embrace change, and these are the types of people that are probably more likely to be Beck fans. The music industry is a business. Its purpose is not to give fans a new type of product (album) every few years, and its not even give fans what they want. Its purpose is to make fans feel inept if they dont buy the product (album). More directly, the record company's sole purpose is to sell records, and make piles of money. Do you expect coke, and pepsi to come up with a new formula every 2 years? Then why do you expect musicians to reinvent their product every album? There is too much money involved to take the kind of risks that you are suggesting musicians to take. Its the same reason why politicians never say anything new, or why they never take any chances. There is too much at stake. Just trying to keep it real here.
Maybe that's why so many people can't believe in the theory of evolution :) They're scared of change. Lovely song btw :)
Trustocity wrote:
The whole theory is distorted by Beck. I'm listening religiously to "Guero," and yes, he reinvents himself after EVERY album, and I love each incarnation, except "Mutations," which I own but don't listen to, but he doesn't care. Dave Matthews is a rock star, and Beck is an artist, and the Beatles were both, and that's all I have to say about that.
Beck is not a good example. Beck fans are not a good representation of the music buying population. His music is, and always has been ecclectic, as are his fans. What im saying is that, imho, most people are resistant to change in just about every area of their lives. There are others, however, who embrace change, and these are the types of people that are probably more likely to be Beck fans. The music industry is a business. Its purpose is not to give fans a new type of product (album) every few years, and its not even give fans what they want. Its purpose is to make fans feel inept if they dont buy the product (album). More directly, the record company's sole purpose is to sell records, and make piles of money. Do you expect coke, and pepsi to come up with a new formula every 2 years? Then why do you expect musicians to reinvent their product every album? There is too much money involved to take the kind of risks that you are suggesting musicians to take. Its the same reason why politicians never say anything new, or why they never take any chances. There is too much at stake. Just trying to keep it real here.
stevo_b wrote:
My ears hear commercial product. Can do without.
:nodhead:
My ears hear commercial product. Can do without.
Sorry, I'm with the "DMB has become repetitive and boring" crowd--that would make three of us; he's found a groove that works and sticks with it. Yes, they're all incredible musicians (Beauford and Lessard are among the best rhythm sections around), but rutsville, baby.
kevbo77 wrote:
Do you honestly expect musicians to reinvent themselves after every album. Regardless of what direction artists go, they are inevitably going to alienate some of their fans because for every DMB fan that wants them to go in a new direction, there is another one that will be pissed that they didnt stick to what got them there in the first place. Bottom line is that DMB are all incredible musicians, and are capable of converting any non-DMB fan when seen live. Now Moby on the other hand,....i swear that guy makes new songs while he's on the pot pinching one off. Every song literally sounds the same because he uses the same chord progressions in almost every song. Just like to take jabs at moby whenver possible, sry...
Do we expect musicians to reinvent themselves? Well, not everyone can be the Beatles, but that's mostly because they don't even try. I say, if an artist is going to keep churning out cookie-cut songs that sound like earlier work, why not just sit back and collect royalties on the earlier, ground-breaking stuff? If you aren't expanding yourself as an artist, then you're only in it for the money. The Beatles never (almost never) cared about money, but rather about doing things no one, including themselves, had ever done. DMB could take things a different direction, thereby pissing off current fans and gaining a new audience. Those pissed would still listen to (and buy) the earlier albums, thus the royalties. The new crowd would enjoy the new stuff, and then when DMB reinvented themselves the third time, the second group would get pissed and only listen to the middle stuff. The whole theory is distorted by Beck. I'm listening religiously to "Guero," and yes, he reinvents himself after EVERY album, and I love each incarnation, except "Mutations," which I own but don't listen to, but he doesn't care. Dave Matthews is a rock star, and Beck is an artist, and the Beatles were both, and that's all I have to say about that.
Mugro wrote:
I am a Dave Matthews fan, but it seems that he cannot create anything new. Seems like the same song over and over. He needs to reinvent himself in order to sell any more albums to me. Sorry.
Do you honestly expect musicians to reinvent themselves after every album. Regardless of what direction artists go, they are inevitably going to alienate some of their fans because for every DMB fan that wants them to go in a new direction, there is another one that will be pissed that they didnt stick to what got them there in the first place. Bottom line is that DMB are all incredible musicians, and are capable of converting any non-DMB fan when seen live. Now Moby on the other hand,....i swear that guy makes new songs while he's on the pot pinching one off. Every song literally sounds the same because he uses the same chord progressions in almost every song. Just like to take jabs at moby whenver possible, sry...
:puke: icckk!! The Dave Matthews cd with Trey was pretty good, but this and his last few cd's are crap!
Almost-saved-by-jazzy-progressive-ending fresh hairy cheese :D
His songs have a habit of growing on me after being jammed down my throat. This one hasn't grown on me yet, we'll see.
I am a Dave Matthews fan, but it seems that he cannot create anything new. Seems like the same song over and over. He needs to reinvent himself in order to sell any more albums to me. Sorry.
beelzebubba wrote:
This is actually much more listenable than his usual cacophony of information-overloaded sounds. The chorus reminds me of that Bruce Cockburn song...
I'm not looking for a listenable version of DMB. Give me back the info-overload. This bores me, but maybe in the context of the album I'll love it. We'll see.
This is actually much more listenable than his usual cacophony of information-overloaded sounds. The chorus reminds me of that Bruce Cockburn song...
I was a DMB fan back in the day, but I haven't liked their stuff in a while. This is really growing on me though. I'm looking forward t hearing this album.
I've been an avid DMB fan since 94'. I really hate to say it but this song doesn't really do it for me. However, I've heard several of the other songs off the new 'Stand Up' CD and have high hopes for the rest.
Ender43 wrote:
I've not enjoyed DMB's recent sounds - much more a fan of the old stuff...but this sounds pretty good.
Yeah, this sounds a little too "structured" like the entire Everyday album sounded. It's a slight improvement, though.
I've not enjoyed DMB's recent sounds - much more a fan of the old stuff...but this sounds pretty good.
Trying to get a comment in before the Dave-haters inevitably bash on this song. Anyway, a friend of mine who's heard this song (they play it on the radio stations here) say it sounds like any other DM song, but I don't have any idea what he's talking about. Nevertheless, I'm really digging the plinky guitar sound on this one
Diggin it! Why haven't I heard this yet? :bounce: 8 ... oh. Thanks Bill. NEW! #-o