[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Bright Eyes — Old Soul Song (for the New World Order)
Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Avg rating:
4.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 117









Released: 2005
Length: 4:23
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Gray light, new day leaks through the window
An old soul song comes on the alarm clock radio
We walk the forty blocks to the middle
Of the place we heard that everything would be
And there were barricades to keep us off the street
But the crowd kept pushing forward
Till they swallowed the police
Ya they went wild
We left before the dust had time to settle
Now all the broken glass swept off the avenue
And on the way home held your camera like a bible
Just wishing so bad that it held some kind of truth
And I stood nervous next to you in the dark room
You dropped the paper in the water
And it all begins to bloom
Ya they go wild
And just when I get so lonesome I cant speak
I see some flowers on the hillside
Like a wall of new TVs
Ya they go wild
Comments (57)add comment
 stevo_b wrote:
"How was it for you dear?"
"Not baaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd"

 
Goat-boy! 

Had this playing at low volume. Thought it might be the singer from Cracker... 
For a moment I thought it is Steve Harley...but unfortunately it was not.
Even worse, I checked it and there is not even one song of Steve Harley and CockneyRebel on Radio Paradise.
Think of "Sebastian", "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)", "Mr. Raffles (Man It Was Mean)" and The Best Years of Our Lives"  !!!
The musical equivalent of a dinner of rice cakes and tapwater.
{#Doh}Wow, I just can't handle his voice on this song.  I think the song is lovely but ...that voice...just ruins it for me.  Conor can do much better than this poor sample. I noticed this hasn't been pulled out since 2008 - perhaps it would be best to leave it sleeping.  The cover art is nice though.
Did he sing this while gargling in the morning
Hmm. Hauled out after a 3-year layoff. What with all the Arcade Fires and Decemberists and Okkervil Rivers getting better reviews (okay not so much with Okkervil River (I like them)), I wonder if Bill's making a point that Conor was ahead of the curve? I think they were.
As of today this has a 4.5 rating. It'll be interesting to see if it creeps up after a few more plays.


He's not terrible, but every now and then during the song I do detect a hint of Elmer Fudd in his vibrato...

Vewy much so.

{#Think}
"How was it for you dear?"
"Not baaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd"
 LghtSlpr wrote:

What's to hate?


  the icky tremelo in his voice

the repetitive lyrics

*edit* 4 — and I'm being generous

What's to hate?
samiyam wrote:
Once again... Bill proves that his musical tastes are genuine and unaffected by others who harp at him. Unfortunately I disagree with him about this guy... he's really like fingernails on a chalkboard with me.
Concur in full. Well, maybe not the "fingernails on a chalkboard' part. Maybe just chalk.
laprincessa wrote:
Perhaps it's just because his voice sucks and nothing else?! I think you're giving him too much credit.
Agreed .... so much else that could be played instead ...
jakeinprogress wrote:
Let me apologize in advance for being so wordy... I like Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. The albums are spotty, but I think he has already scaled some significant heights in certain songs. (ASIDE - Because of the format of RP, some of the best angry music is not as familiar to the "new Dylan" stuff. Check out his side project Desaparecidos.) What strikes me is the ferocity of the backlash against him. So many of the other artists, the comments are "I don't get this" or "Too much like x" or "They're not evolving anymore," but with Conor Oberst, the objection is so much more visceral. Some of it is certainly a reaction to all the critical acclaim he is garnering. However, I think some of it is simple resentment at the audacity of someone so young presuming to have such "important" things to say in his music (or that, coupled with the critical acclaim - call in the Jonathan Safran Foer effect). Well, that's why his albums are spotty. Some of his "deep" lyrics do sound corny. Some people just hate anything the smells of "emo". Some people just hate anything that Saddle Creek puts out (Bright Eyes, Cursive, Rilo Kiley, Azure Ray, the Faint). Fine, I'm not here to persuade anyone to do anything other than to actually consider the source of such a strong distaste. If a poser is defined as someone who has enjoyed success more quickly than others deem warranted, then he's guilty as charged. However, I don't think there's all that much inauthentic about his music. In fact, that some of it comes across as painfully ham-fisted tells me that the real problem is that its not layered enough, not enough detachment. That hardly makes him a poser. But I digress...
Perhaps it's just because his voice sucks and nothing else?! I think you're giving him too much credit.
Gregorama wrote:
I don't understand why this hack has 7 songs on the RP playlist, while so much other good stuff that I uploaded got "sorries" . His singing is like fingernails on a chalkboard, only not as sweetly sounding.
Yep... And the thing is rated poorly too. You can't get some incredible songs past the LRC, but lil' Conner gets 7 crappy songs on the playlist. I guess because he was on the cover of Paste and he's everyone's little darling. ...I don't HATE his music, but it really is marginal.
PLLLLLEASSE MAKE IT STOP!
I don't understand why this hack has 7 songs on the RP playlist, while so much other good stuff that I uploaded got "sorries" . His singing is like fingernails on a chalkboard, only not as sweetly sounding. Anybody know how his stuff did on the Listener Review Channel? (I have no facts,) but I doubt that it was posted. It fell from 4.6 to 4.4 this morning alone. How low can it go? Make sure to rate this one. Let's go for a 2!
Heieieieieieieinous
Annoyingly lame...
Please, please, never play this again! :beat:
Sehr anstrengend!
jakeinprogress wrote:
Again, I have no problem is somebody doesn't like his voice. It certainly isn't classically beautiful. What I don't get is how someone can so assuredly claim that the music signifies nothing. I think an honest statement of your views would be that you don't like the way the sound and fury of Bright Eyes sounds (as it seems you would also argue about the Smiths and the Cure). You don't like the music fine, but don't try to attach to your criticism a level of significance higher than that the music simply doesn't agree with your tastes.
And when is a criticism ever more than an opinion... Perhaps there is something in my skewering of "Bright Eyes" that you find hurts because deep inside you agree with the opinion as much as you would like it not to be true. I find most losers who like The Smiths and The Cure seem to find it amazingly necessary to defend their favorite whiner bands.
Again, I have no problem is somebody doesn't like his voice. It certainly isn't classically beautiful. What I don't get is how someone can so assuredly claim that the music signifies nothing. I think an honest statement of your views would be that you don't like the way the sound and fury of Bright Eyes sounds (as it seems you would also argue about the Smiths and the Cure). You don't like the music fine, but don't try to attach to your criticism a level of significance higher than that the music simply doesn't agree with your tastes. samiyam wrote:
His music is all sound and fury signifying nothing. Been there, done that... and he needs someone to give him a throat lozenge!
MrMan wrote:
I'm thinking you can rearrange the letters in Conor Oberst and come up with the word "overwrought".
The voice made me think that the letters would spell Paul Westerberg.
Just say no. The more I hear him the more my blood pressure raises. I can't figure out why "Cactus" by David Bowie gets a "sorry" and this gets airplay. Shelly---Come On!
beelzebubba wrote:
really pissing me off, especially considering the fact that I've been hearing this godawful crappy song EVERY FRIGGIN G#DD@&M! DAY for the past month here on RP Knock it the 'f' off, a'ight?
on no, you've discovered a pattern!
Sorry
Ho Hum.
jakeinprogress wrote:
Let me apologize in advance for being so wordy... I like Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. The albums are spotty, but I think he has already scaled some significant heights in certain songs. (ASIDE - Because of the format of RP, some of the best angry music is not as familiar to the "new Dylan" stuff. Check out his side project Desaparecidos.)
His music is all sound and fury signifying nothing. Been there, done that... and he needs someone to give him a throat lozenge!
Let me apologize in advance for being so wordy... I like Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. The albums are spotty, but I think he has already scaled some significant heights in certain songs. (ASIDE - Because of the format of RP, some of the best angry music is not as familiar to the "new Dylan" stuff. Check out his side project Desaparecidos.) What strikes me is the ferocity of the backlash against him. So many of the other artists, the comments are "I don't get this" or "Too much like x" or "They're not evolving anymore," but with Conor Oberst, the objection is so much more visceral. Some of it is certainly a reaction to all the critical acclaim he is garnering. However, I think some of it is simple resentment at the audacity of someone so young presuming to have such "important" things to say in his music (or that, coupled with the critical acclaim - call in the Jonathan Safran Foer effect). Well, that's why his albums are spotty. Some of his "deep" lyrics do sound corny. Some people just hate anything the smells of "emo". Some people just hate anything that Saddle Creek puts out (Bright Eyes, Cursive, Rilo Kiley, Azure Ray, the Faint). Fine, I'm not here to persuade anyone to do anything other than to actually consider the source of such a strong distaste. If a poser is defined as someone who has enjoyed success more quickly than others deem warranted, then he's guilty as charged. However, I don't think there's all that much inauthentic about his music. In fact, that some of it comes across as painfully ham-fisted tells me that the real problem is that its not layered enough, not enough detachment. That hardly makes him a poser. But I digress...
Been reading alot about this kid - rave reviews and all - but I must say I agree with most of the neg comments. He and Stevie Nicks would be an interesting duo.
This guy cannot sing at all, and sometimes I can live with that, but his warbling is really pissing me off, especially considering the fact that I've been hearing this godawful crappy song EVERY FRIGGIN G#DD@&M! DAY for the past month here on RP Knock it the 'f' off, a'ight?
What a poser
Since everyone is blasting him...I feel someone should come to his defense. It takes some listening, I agree there. If you have the record and have listened to it as one piece several times and still hate it...so be it. But, if you haven't, I think his songs are better as a collective album. Each track builds really well, this song especially. If you turn it off in the first 30 seconds and write a crap review...then you are just getting old and impatient...I give it a 9.
Pretentious crap. Played only because of political correctness.
Once again... Bill proves that his musical tastes are genuine and unaffected by others who harp at him. Unfortunately I disagree with him about this guy... he's really like fingernails on a chalkboard with me.
Pure unadulterated crap
OK, I just do NOT get this guy... blech...why does he get so much hype just for being in pain and subjecting us to it too?
Pick a note, any note! Just stop gargling!
gahh, do we have to listen to so much of this guy? i'm thinking of lighting my foot on fire to distract myself from his torture.
ScottFromWyoming wrote:
This kid's on the tip of all the critics' tongues, but it's just a little too overwrought for me. I couldn't sit thru the last album very well at all, but this sounds quite a bit better. We'll see. Still, I'm giving it a 7 for now.
once I really gave this guy a chance and got beyond my original disgust with his musical approach, I discovered that he's boring,boerish, and bombastically overblown. I give it a three.
Okay, so I have the two new albums, and I like them quite a bit... but I always skip this song... so many better songs, why waste time listening to mediocrity? --d
Is this Adam Sandler singing?
Old_Pool_Skunk wrote:
Who's shaking this guy? Stop it!
:lol:
Wow, nice sound, nice pedal steel (for which I'm a sucker), nice melody, nice.....um....well...um....gaps between the vocals???
Who's shaking this guy? Stop it!
katzendogs wrote:
Had read something about this in the forums yesterday.Not all favorable.It's a John Mayer sound to me.I'll give another listen.
Yeah,prolly not gonna give it a shot.03/20late
Gregorama wrote:
Watch him now...I predict he won't be on our radar screens very long. The flavor of the month. Moping does not equal talent. Another example of hype in the media, where they think they've found the next Dylan. How many times have we heard that before? Let's see where he is next year...or in 30 years...
I have to agree with you there. I'm just not sold on him based on the three albums I have listened to (I have a co-worker who has loaned me the two that just came out and the one before). He's ok, but nothing to get excited about in my opinion.
pdhski wrote:
Consort Bore
I've seen him in concert and I would classify him as "concert bore"
MrMan wrote:
I'm thinking you can rearrange the letters in Conor Oberst and come up with the word "overwrought".
Consort Bore
Watch him now...I predict he won't be on our radar screens very long. The flavor of the month. Moping does not equal talent. Another example of hype in the media, where they think they've found the next Dylan. How many times have we heard that before? Let's see where he is next year...or in 30 years...
supernatural33_6 wrote:
Conor is amazing this guy knows how to put real soul into a song
Soul of a shoe?
I'm thinking you can rearrange the letters in Conor Oberst and come up with the word "overwrought".
Oh my gawd, his singing voice is horrible.
Conor is amazing this guy knows how to put real soul into a song
it's poeticish, and from my hometown....
Had read something about this in the forums yesterday.Not all favorable.It's a John Mayer sound to me.I'll give another listen.
This kid's on the tip of all the critics' tongues, but it's just a little too overwrought for me. I couldn't sit thru the last album very well at all, but this sounds quite a bit better. We'll see. Still, I'm giving it a 7 for now.