[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Beck — Jack-Ass
Album: Odelay
Avg rating:
6.9

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1253









Released: 1996
Length: 4:00
Plays (last 30 days): 1
I been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tying a noose in the back of my mind
If you thought that you were making your way
To where the puzzles and pagans lay
I'll put it together: It's a strange invitation

When I wake up someone will sweep up my lazy bones
And we will rise in the cool of the evening
I remember the way that you smiled
When the gravity shackles were wild
And something is vacant when I think it's all beginning

I been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tying the noose in the back of my mind
If you thought that you were making your way
To where the puzzles and pagans lay
I'll put it together: It's a strange invitation
Comments (201)add comment
Man, with the first couple of notes, I thought that was Vance Morrison! Quite surprised when I saw it was Versatile Beck! And all the more so when I read that it was a sample from Bob. Pffff I don't think I'm going to make it to the next grade. :-( But then I'm in the right place to learn, aren't I?
 ziggytrix wrote:

Really? You think religion is so trivial as to not creep into the things people create? I've noticed Scientologist dogma in at least one of his videos. It was subtle, and didn't particularly offend me, but it did give me pause.

It would ruin it for me if one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, were to suddenly start putting religious references in his works, so it matters to me. I can't understand why you think it shouldn't matter, unless you're just some nihilist that thinks absolutely nothing matters. I could see that argument...
 
Gaiman's books have many religious references. American Gods? Good Omens? Anansi Boys? Any of these ring a bell?
 RabbitEars wrote:
 loungelizard48 wrote:

Reminiscent of 'It's All Over Now (Baby Blue), Van Morrison?

 Direct sample.


 
Yes, I'm sure he credited Van? Especially as Beck uses it as an identical intro.
Odelay was a great album
 loungelizard48 wrote:
Reminiscent of 'It's All Over Now (Baby Blue), Van Morrison?
 Direct sample.

I like Beck but I'm always disappointed when this starts and it turns out to not be Them's "It's all Over Now, Baby Blue." 
Reminiscent of 'It's All Over Now (Baby Blue), Van Morrison?
 ziggytrix wrote:

Really? You think religion is so trivial as to not creep into the things people create? I've noticed Scientologist dogma in at least one of his videos. It was subtle, and didn't particularly offend me, but it did give me pause.

It would ruin it for me if one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, were to suddenly start putting religious references in his works, so it matters to me. I can't understand why you think it shouldn't matter, unless you're just some nihilist that thinks absolutely nothing matters. I could see that argument...

 
again, i would have to refer you to the big lebowski. middle of the film. john turturro and flea. everything you need or want to know about nihilists. really funny too.

if religion matters, then we should stop listening to led zep's thing with aleister crowley or say staples family as christians or the influence of south american, blues and traditional african music on santana. 

good eye on the scientology bit though. completely went by me.  
 iSoul wrote:
Crude violence to Van Morrisons version of "it's all over now baby blue"

 
Right!
 Randomax wrote:

Got to say I can't see what someone's religion has to do with anything.  That's his business no matter how "quirky".  You wouldn't hold against him if he were Jewish or Mormon (who some also say is a cult).  Or at least I would HOPE you would not hold those other religions against an artist!

 
Really? You think religion is so trivial as to not creep into the things people create? I've noticed Scientologist dogma in at least one of his videos. It was subtle, and didn't particularly offend me, but it did give me pause.

It would ruin it for me if one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, were to suddenly start putting religious references in his works, so it matters to me. I can't understand why you think it shouldn't matter, unless you're just some nihilist that thinks absolutely nothing matters. I could see that argument...
 collator wrote:

Yeah it's a shame that I can't see past one of the quirkier parts of this quirky personality. 

 
Got to say I can't see what someone's religion has to do with anything.  That's his business no matter how "quirky".  You wouldn't hold against him if he were Jewish or Mormon (who some also say is a cult).  Or at least I would HOPE you would not hold those other religions against an artist!
Crude violence to Van Morrisons version of "it's all over now baby blue"
after that leon russell dylan cover, i was expecting the them. their cover of baby blue that's sampled here is stellar. 
 collator wrote:

Yeah it's a shame that I can't see past one of the quirkier parts of this quirky personality. 

 
Well, Ted Nugent is an irredeemable assh*le. But he could play that guitar.
Just listening to Wow and thinking how he's lost it.
Makes me smile and that's what counts 
 
 yofitofu wrote:

The fact this guy is a Scientologist bumps every song from 10 to 9 or 8. But still, he is so great.

 
Yeah it's a shame that I can't see past one of the quirkier parts of this quirky personality. 
I love Beck.  He makes interesting music.
 leafmold wrote:
Is he sampling Them/Van Morrison?

 
yes
Is he sampling Them/Van Morrison?
 kcar wrote:
WHERE IS STINGRAY?!?! 

I MUST BE WARNED OF SCIENTOLOGIST!  

 
The fact this guy is a Scientologist bumps every song from 10 to 9 or 8. But still, he is so great.
WHERE IS STINGRAY?!?! 

I MUST BE WARNED OF SCIENTOLOGIST!  
 Kaisersosay wrote:

How dare you,,,,,why that Beyoncé,,, she ,, um she ,,,did ,,wait what has she done?

Beck all the way.  

 

Hey now, Mylie Cyrus or Lady Gagga or nothing!  "No Pasaron!  Viva Revolucion!"


 Kaisersosay wrote:

How dare you,,,,,why that Beyoncé,,, she ,, um she ,,,did ,,wait what has she done?

Beck all the way.  

 
she pays good money to some of the industries best song writers for her material!
 black321 wrote:
What are you playing this hack for?  Play a real artist, like Beyonce!.

 
How dare you,,,,,why that Beyoncé,,, she ,, um she ,,,did ,,wait what has she done?

Beck all the way.  
Oh good - I was hoping it was Beck and not Van Morrison this time. I was just more in the mood for Beck today. (I love VM thought)
What are you playing this hack for?  Play a real artist, like Beyonce!.
Cynaera wrote:
I will say it again - I love Beck's music. I don't care about his religious/non-religious beliefs or whether he shaves his pubes or has a fixation on the waxing and waning of the moon. It's not about anything other than the music to me, and the music makes me smile.

I have far uglier things about which to ponder, as I'm sure everyone else has, too.  
  
There are some things I have found that need not be commented on.  Posts like this say everything that needs to be said.  I am enjoying my RP experience and I am truly sorry to have not been around to share her time here.
 HonduranRed wrote:
i love music
 
Welcome to nirvana, brother. Welcome.
 Dosequis wrote:
WOW!!!!!!
                 THIS IS TERRIBLE !!!!!! 

 
LOL!


I know it's down to the order I personally first heard things in, but after Them, I start to expect Green Day's Waiting, and then Downtown of all things, but Beck is beginning to grow on me...
i love music
It's all over now Becky-boo...
{#Bananapiano}
Them and Beck. À good marriage
He.........................sings.......................so.......................slow.................He must be cool...........................................................NOT !!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!
                 THIS IS TERRIBLE !!!!!! 
Always waiting for Van to start singing... *sigh*
 gandalfbmg wrote:
Probably the minority, but I'm VERY glad this wasn't Van Morrison.

 
I love them both. So, it is just a pleasant guessing game as to which is playing, at least for a few moments...
I love that Bill plays both the Van Morrison & this song...
Great Song

what a trippy song, softly mellow with back cascades of liquid light 

very nice 
Beck - Jackass

yes.
Probably the minority, but I'm VERY glad this wasn't Van Morrison.
 Poacher wrote:
Woof!

 

 
Reminds me--must mop the kitchen floor. 
Very marginal musically.
Beck Sucks!!   (Then How Come I Love This Song??  {#Beat})

Love this song...

reminds me of this... 

Shazam!  Love this song!  Amen!
 
 Cynaera wrote:
I will say it again - I love Beck's music. I don't care about his religious/non-religious beliefs or whether he shaves his pubes or has a fixation on the waxing and waning of the moon. It's not about anything other than the music to me, and the music makes me smile.

I have far uglier things about which to ponder, as I'm sure everyone else has, too.  
 

Miss you, Cynaera...

love this song...


 Cynaera wrote:
I will say it again - I love Beck's music. I don't care about his religious/non-religious beliefs or whether he shaves his pubes or has a fixation on the waxing and waning of the moon. It's not about anything other than the music to me, and the music makes me smile.

I have far uglier things about which to ponder, as I'm sure everyone else has, too.  
 
Amen. However...this is not my favorite Beck tune.
'But Scientology is a group that is alleged to be involved in slavery, fraud, and people suddenly disappearing under mysterious circumstances.'
That sounds like more than one religion to me.

- ppopp

The_Enemy wrote:

You're half-right. The music is important and people should separate that from the whatever Beck believes.

But Scientology is a group that is alleged to be involved in slavery, fraud, and people suddenly disappearing under mysterious circumstances. If people on the boards here are expressing hatred of that, dismissing them as bigots is uninformed at best.

Check out the Feb 14 issue of New Yorker for a solid overview of the issue.

If it's still available without a subscription, you can read it online at this link

https://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright 

Or Google "scientology, paul haggis" 

 


Lots of Beck played here. I like Beck, but I feel as though I hear too much of it on RP - especially the Sea Change songs.
The only radio station that when this song is played, you're not sure which version you're getting, Van Morrison or Beck. Beautiful.
An already covered song sampled into another one. How should such a proceeding be designated? Meta-sampling? Meta-covering? Meta-plagiarism? Not that it was'nt enjoyable.
 apd wrote:

Actually, this is from his first album.
 

ziggytrix wrote:

Mellow Gold was his first.  This album came after he'd played the main stage at Lollapalooza.

A better rebuttal would be that Beck has always put recorded "whatever he wanted" and that it is merely his opinion that this is more or less "slop" than his other songs.

 
Nope, both wrong.  

From Wikipedia...

In 1993 Beck released his first studio album, 
Golden Feelings, on Peter Hughes's Sonic Enemy label. It was initially released only on cassette (though later on CD in limited quantities). It has been estimated that only between 500 and 750 copies were made, making it a rare artifact.<12> AllMusic.com would later describe the album as "an extremely interesting, entertaining, and humorous document that proves that from the start, Beck had his heart set on making experimentation his only gimmick".<13> 
Now I'm singing along (^o^)
 scrubbrush wrote:
It's probably already been posted here somewhere, but did everyone already know that the music for this song is sampled from the cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" by "Them"? check into it. it's also a good song.

  I noticed that too.




This song is so good it puts a spring in my step this winter day...  remember when it came out like it was yesterday...

 
 Cynaera wrote:
I will say it again - I love Beck's music. I don't care about his religious/non-religious beliefs or whether he shaves his pubes or has a fixation on the waxing and waning of the moon. It's not about anything other than the music to me, and the music makes me smile.

I have far uglier things about which to ponder, as I'm sure everyone else has, too.  
 
I was fine until I read this ! {#Doh}

great song. the donkey bray at the end is worth the wait.

It's probably already been posted here somewhere, but did everyone already know that the music for this song is sampled from the cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" by "Them"? check into it. it's also a good song.

Flashback baby - in the nicest possible way
I will say it again - I love Beck's music. I don't care about his religious/non-religious beliefs or whether he shaves his pubes or has a fixation on the waxing and waning of the moon. It's not about anything other than the music to me, and the music makes me smile.

I have far uglier things about which to ponder, as I'm sure everyone else has, too.  
 apd wrote:

Actually, this is from his first album.
 
Mellow Gold was his first.  This album came after he'd played the main stage at Lollapalooza.

A better rebuttal would be that Beck has always put recorded "whatever he wanted" and that it is merely his opinion that this is more or less "slop" than his other songs.

Great song.
 michaelgmitchell wrote:
Here's a typical situation where an accomplished artist (arguably) gets to record any slop he wants because he IS an accomplished artist (arguably). I like some of Beck's quirkiness - but not to this extent. Bleh.
 
Actually, this is from his first album.
Here's a typical situation where an accomplished artist (arguably) gets to record any slop he wants because he IS an accomplished artist (arguably). I like some of Beck's quirkiness - but not to this extent. Bleh.
 derekd wrote:
Wow...Surprised at all the hating. Religious bigotry, too. Let's step it up RP listeners...You can always just vote it down.
 
You're half-right. The music is important and people should separate that from the whatever Beck believes.

But Scientology is a group that is alleged to be involved in slavery, fraud, and people suddenly disappearing under mysterious circumstances. If people on the boards here are expressing hatred of that, dismissing them as bigots is uninformed at best.

Check out the Feb 14 issue of New Yorker for a solid overview of the issue.

If it's still available without a subscription, you can read it online at this link

https://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright 

Or Google "scientology, paul haggis" 

 WonderLizard wrote:
What you criticize is their art not their beliefs, which, like yours, are dear, personal, and perhaps sacred to them.

 
You say sacred, I say stupid.  Let's call the whole thing off!

also very nice!
I'd find it astonishing if no law suit at all would have ever been brought about by this tune.
 EssexTex wrote:

I think the main reason for people's comments (including me) regarding Scientology result from the fact that they are more a cult then a religion set up by a certified nut...myself I can't believe that anyone with the smallest amount of brain  matter would become a part of it.
Travolta, Beck, etc are looked up to by many and it's disappointing to see people of their stature falling for this crap...that's why people keep bringing it up.

 
Beck was raised in the religion, he was not a convert.  Not that it matters really.

WTF  {#Stupid}
 EssexTex wrote:

I think the main reason for people's comments (including me) regarding Scientology result from the fact that they are more a cult then a religion set up by a certified nut...myself I can't believe that anyone with the smallest amount of brain  matter would become a part of it.
Travolta, Beck, etc are looked up to by many and it's disappointing to see people of their stature falling for this crap...that's why people keep bringing it up.

 
Sorry, Tex, but I need to take this a step further. "...falling for this crap" is a value judgment about someone's (it doesn't matter whose) religious beliefs, which are entirely personal—regardless of the origin, history, or popular mythologizing of the religion itself—and, therefore, entirely off limits for any discussion about that person's art. Okay, Travolta and Cruise proselytize, and Beck doesn't. It doesn't matter. What you criticize is their art not their beliefs, which, like yours, are dear, personal, and perhaps sacred to them.

Beck is God!

10


Wow...Surprised at all the hating. Religious bigotry, too. Let's step it up RP listeners...You can always just vote it down.
Don't tell me, let me guess.  It's supposed to sound awful.
Bad Beck. Which means, really bad. Wow. Painfully bad. {#Headache}
 flatpicker wrote:


You could be describing just about any religion on the planet!
Regardless... Beck is awesome... and his recent music is his best ever.

And I can live with the fact that he is a Scientologist... no matter how silly it is.
 

Many religions have surreal creation myths—well, they have to be surreal if they're going to explain the beginning of the world—but Scientology's stories are so lame that they wouldn't get published as science fiction. (In fact, L. Ron Hubbard wrote them up as a film script, but the project never got sufficient funding to get filming started). 

Other religions have the advantage of having long histories that add to their relative credibility, but Scientology strikes me as a transparently corporatized cult feeding off of personal alienation, outdated space-age technological models and and our long tradition of jumping into self-help movements.

How anyone can swallow the Scientologist "backstory" and commit to the Church is beyond me. Leaps of faith often require surrendering a bit of common sense, but people like John Travolta, Tom Cruise and (apparently) Beck seem to have given all of it up. 

Sure I'll listen to his music, but I have to wonder how much of a flake he is. 
 
I love Beck. It's taken awhile for me to get to this point, but now I can proclaim it.  I LOVE BECK. I'm sure he has his weak songs and bad days, but so far, every song I've heard of his has made me like my life a little more.

I love Beck. {#Sunny}
 lemmoth wrote:
this song shows how popular rock and roll music borrowing/homage/covers have evolved.

Dylan writes great song - It's All Over Now Baby Blue.

Van hears  it and says - great song, lets cover it - but lets create a great new intro riff.

Beck hear's Van and says - great intro riff - let's borrow it - (and credit Van and Bob) - and write another great song around it.
 
I believe that is evolution.... at it's best. Beck shows how some ideas can lay dormant and then get a creative spark and become something similar but different. In a very good way.
I miss the days when his music seemed influenced by smoking herb. What is Scientology's teaching about marijuana? 
 Bridieboo wrote:

Always disappointed when the vocals begin - expecting to hear Van Morrison.


  this song shows how popular rock and roll music borrowing/homage/covers have evolved.

Dylan writes great song - It's All Over Now Baby Blue.

Van hears  it and says - great song, lets cover it - but lets create a great new intro riff.

Beck hear's Van and says - great intro riff - let's borrow it - (and credit Van and Bob) - and write another great song around it.


My rating of 1 has nothing to do with Beck's religious views.
 dggeek wrote:
I like Beck's music despite the fact that he's a scientologist.  Religious tolerance is all fine and good, but the scientology organization has caused a lot of people a lot of pain and hardship.  Being a member doesn't mean you enjoy inflicting this on others (hell, it doesn't even mean you are involved in the despicable things that go on).  However, one of the requirements of being in scientology is giving the organization lots and lots of money, which allows them to continue their ways.

I don't want to turn this board into a political or religious flame war, so I won't cite sources.  Wikipedia and the first page of Google results have information for those that want to know more.
 

You could be describing just about any religion on the planet!
Regardless... Beck is awesome... and his recent music is his best ever.

And I can live with the fact that he is a Scientologist... no matter how silly it is.


I like Beck's music despite the fact that he's a scientologist.  Religious tolerance is all fine and good, but the scientology organization has caused a lot of people a lot of pain and hardship.  Being a member doesn't mean you enjoy inflicting this on others (hell, it doesn't even mean you are involved in the despicable things that go on).  However, one of the requirements of being in scientology is giving the organization lots and lots of money, which allows them to continue their ways.

I don't want to turn this board into a political or religious flame war, so I won't cite sources.  Wikipedia and the first page of Google results have information for those that want to know more.
 WonderLizard wrote:

One of the great things about chat rooms, message boards, and community forums is that you say anything you damn well please; you don't need a shred of evidence to back anything up; and if somebody challenges you, you can call them names, flame 'em, or incite the rest of the community to gang up on them. Pretty cool. All the benefits—none of the responsibility. Which brings me to this little gem. Now, tell me, please, what on earth do Beck's religious beliefs have anything to do with his music? I mean, if he was the proselytizing sort, then you might get down on him if he made bad music. But he doesn't make bad music, and he doesn't proselytize. So what gives?

John Travolta, also a Scientologist, made that horrific clunker, Battlefield Earth, which I think one would rag on because it's a terrible movie, not because it's based on an L. Ron Hubbard novel. So why rag on Beck? If you don't like the song, okay; but you don't dis him because of his religious beliefs. I think in the end you let these things, songs and movies, stand on their merits, not because so-and-so is a Scientologist, Brobdingnagian Reformed Druid...or anything else. Man, if we start picking on folks because they're Catholics (Springsteen), Jews (Dylan), or Sufi Muslims (Richard Thompson), it's like we've learned nothing from 50+ years of rock'n'roll.
 
I think the main reason for people's comments (including me) regarding Scientology result from the fact that they are more a cult then a religion set up by a certified nut...myself I can't believe that anyone with the smallest amount of brain  matter would become a part of it.
Travolta, Beck, etc are looked up to by many and it's disappointing to see people of their stature falling for this crap...that's why people keep bringing it up.

 ballymuck wrote:
 Plus he's a Scientologist, which explains the tedious smugness no doubt...

 
One of the great things about chat rooms, message boards, and community forums is that you say anything you damn well please; you don't need a shred of evidence to back anything up; and if somebody challenges you, you can call them names, flame 'em, or incite the rest of the community to gang up on them. Pretty cool. All the benefits—none of the responsibility. Which brings me to this little gem. Now, tell me, please, what on earth do Beck's religious beliefs have anything to do with his music? I mean, if he was the proselytizing sort, then you might get down on him if he made bad music. But he doesn't make bad music, and he doesn't proselytize. So what gives?

John Travolta, also a Scientologist, made that horrific clunker, Battlefield Earth, which I think one would rag on because it's a terrible movie, not because it's based on an L. Ron Hubbard novel. So why rag on Beck? If you don't like the song, okay; but you don't dis him because of his religious beliefs. I think in the end you let these things, songs and movies, stand on their merits, not because so-and-so is a Scientologist, Brobdingnagian Reformed Druid...or anything else. Man, if we start picking on folks because they're Catholics (Springsteen), Jews (Dylan), or Sufi Muslims (Richard Thompson), it's like we've learned nothing from 50+ years of rock'n'roll.
 fredriley wrote:
Love the 'ee-or' at the end of this :o). Shame about what precedes it... And thanks to those who've pointed out that that's a real dog on the cover - I really thought it was a dog-shaped haystack!
 
Same for me. That's a strange kind of dog... I checked the wiki link sent by kalpol (Austin, TX), so weird. {#Think}
And yes, I like this song!

Always disappointed when the vocals begin - expecting to hear Van Morrison.


Woof!

 
Great song!

The amazing thing about Beck... he actually gets better with every album.

His latest stuff is my favourite.
 ThePoose wrote:

I belive you mean Van the Man + Them on Baby Blue

 

That's what I thought it was too.
Nice!
 fredriley wrote:
Love the 'ee-or' at the end of this :o). Shame about what precedes it... And thanks to those who've pointed out that that's a real dog on the cover - I really thought it was a dog-shaped haystack!
 

OMG - I have had this cd since it came out and always wondered what the hell hay being thrown over a jump meant....that is truly amazing!!!  I'm the Jack Ass apparently

Music to drink prescription cough syrup to...{#Drunk}...{#Sleep}...
Like the song but the guitar solo is pretty bad
 ThePoose wrote:

I belive you mean Van the Man + Them on Baby Blue

  The intro always reminds me of Lennon's Beautiful Boy...crazy, huh?


 manbirdexperiment wrote:
The intro reminds me of the Rolling Stones.
 
I belive you mean Van the Man + Them on Baby Blue

Fooled me also, was expecting good ol' Vans version of "Its all over Baby Blue" and got this mishmash instead. Not that I don't like Beck as I have 3 of his CDs but this ain't one of them...
 

This is the best.


This song is good for the ears...


I particularly like this beck album.  Brings back memories of some crazy nights in my youth.
 pinklife wrote:


My neighbor has a dog of that sort—it is truly freaky.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komondor

 fredriley wrote:
Love the 'ee-or' at the end of this :o). Shame about what precedes it... And thanks to those who've pointed out that that's a real dog on the cover - I really thought it was a dog-shaped haystack!
 

My neighbor has a dog of that sort—it is truly freaky.
I think Beck and Mick Jagger are starting to merge....
 fredriley wrote:
Love the 'ee-or' at the end of this :o). Shame about what precedes it... And thanks to those who've pointed out that that's a real dog on the cover - I really thought it was a dog-shaped haystack!
 



Yay Beck!

That is all.

{#Dancingbanana}
I always hope Van the man is coming, but I like the Beck spin too.
 
ballymuck wrote:
Every time RP plays this I get a shiver of anticipation expecting it to be the Them/Van Morrison version of Baby Blue and then about 15 seconds in am always let down by Beck's hipster mumbling.... "stale shoes"; I could tell you what to do with those mate.

The thing is, the Them sample is so good, it's the riff the whole thing is based on... and Beck steals it wholesale and *still* messes  it up with a  tedious nuisance of a bridge, smug lyrics and droning voice.  Plus he's a Scientologist, which explains the tedious smugness no doubt...so Bill, can we get this thing Rick-rolled and put the Van original in its place for once and for all?
 


Love the 'ee-or' at the end of this :o). Shame about what precedes it... And thanks to those who've pointed out that that's a real dog on the cover - I really thought it was a dog-shaped haystack!
 ballymuck wrote:
Every time RP plays this I get a shiver of anticipation expecting it to be the Them/Van Morrison version of Baby Blue and then about 15 seconds in am always let down by Beck's hipster mumbling.... "stale shoes"; I could tell you what to do with those mate.

The thing is, the Them sample is so good, it's the riff the whole thing is based on... and Beck steals it wholesale and *still* messes  it up with a  tedious nuisance of a bridge, smug lyrics and droning voice.  Plus he's a Scientologist, which explains the tedious smugness no doubt...so Bill, can we get this thing Rick-rolled and put the Van original in its place for once and for all?
  Totally agree. What a let down when Beck starts up. Bleh!{#Frustrated}

Every time RP plays this I get a shiver of anticipation expecting it to be the Them/Van Morrison version of Baby Blue and then about 15 seconds in am always let down by Beck's hipster mumbling.... "stale shoes"; I could tell you what to do with those mate.

The thing is, the Them sample is so good, it's the riff the whole thing is based on... and Beck steals it wholesale and *still* messes  it up with a  tedious nuisance of a bridge, smug lyrics and droning voice.  Plus he's a Scientologist, which explains the tedious smugness no doubt...so Bill, can we get this thing Rick-rolled and put the Van original in its place for once and for all?


The sample was also used by Insane Clown Posse. Not sure which song, but I remember it was funny as hell

 manbirdexperiment wrote:
The intro reminds me of the Rolling Stones.

 

Don't you mean Van Morrison?
I took care of a Komondor a few years back. And sadly, no, it's fur doesn't grow into dreads on it's own. It clumps into huge chunks of felted fur. If you want it to have dreads you have to sit and tear these apart and twirl them between your fingers for an hour or two every day. When I got him he was in a pretty nasty state so I just trimmed him down to an inch or so. I have never seen anything scrawnier and happier at the same time. He stopped walking into street lights, trees, cars, walls etc. after that. So I presume the dreads does impair their seeing a little. Lovely dog although he was a bit temperamental towards strangers.
what a great album cover.
For those who enjoy this song, there are a couple of good alternate version available on the deluxe reissue of Odelay released in the recent past, entitled "Strange Invitation" and "Burro".
The intro reminds me of the Rolling Stones.
:roflol: :roflol: Now that is funny! Jack-Ass proceeded by My Moon My Man! :ass: