[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Amboy Dukes — Journey to the Center of the Mind
Album: Best Of
Avg rating:
6.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1144









Released: 1968
Length: 3:32
Plays (last 30 days): 1
Leave your cares behind come with us and find
The pleasures of a journey to the center of the mind

Come along if you care
Come along if you dare
Take a ride to the land inside of your mind

Beyond the seas of thought beyond the realm of what
Across the streams of hopes and dreams where things are really not

Come along if you care...

But please realise you'll probably be surprised
For it's the land unknown to man
Where fantasy is fact
So if you can, please understand
You might not come back

Come along if you care
Come along if you dare
Take a ride to the land inside and you'll see

How happy life could be if all of mankind
Would take the time to journey to the center of the mind

Would take the time to journey to the center of the mind
Center of the mind
Comments (274)add comment
Ted Nugent is underrated and really unique in his genre. (Any man wearing a foxtail while playing excellent blues rock and roll is somehow pure?!)  
Would have thought this Moody Blues...
Good tunage...don't dig Teds' politics
 keller1 wrote:
scott4261 wrote:
The one good Ted Nugent song. Since, he's becoming a raving nutball!
Da Nuge! had a handful of good solo tunes too (Dog Eat Dog, Stranglehold), but yeah, he's pretty crazy.
 

Birdland, Great White Buffalo...
Oh Hell Yes
and in 2020  the Motor City Madman is still kicking ass   
 stickyconnection wrote:
come along if you care- yeah!
 

come along if you care- yeah!
Great song - however, on behalf of all my fellow Michiganders, we're sorry, really, we are.
 ick wrote:
I often wonder when he snapped, when that thing in his brain just went and left the world with the ass-hat.  
 

I think it was when he bought the Clydesdales
Drugs, like alcohol and money, just amplify what's already there.
On_The_Beach wrote:


Apparently it also fried Ted's brain. 
 
I often wonder when he snapped, when that thing in his brain just went and left the world with the ass-hat.  
 TomSweetwater wrote:
Dear RP, would you consider changing the album art for this song? To me it seems like a huge ego stroke for a philisophical ass-hat.
 
The fact that the philosophies of the most prominent member of The Amboy Dukes have degenerated to the point where we can now call him an ass-hat in no way diminishes the skill with which he played his instrument when this band was at its peak or the amazing music he helped them produce.
I'm sure most of our current politicians we now consider vile were quite charming children once upon a time.
Dear RP, would you consider changing the album art for this song? To me it seems like a huge ego stroke for a philisophical ass-hat.
 ColdMiser wrote:
Why do I always think this is The Moody Blues on amphetamines?
 

Just thinking the same thing. i only looked when it got to be grating.  
Holy Shite Awesome!

a time machine in and of itself and sometimes in capsule form
Many find Ted a bit of a, we won't even say. But I love this stuff from way back then.
 kingart wrote:
For it's a land
unknown to man 
where fantasy is fact 
so if you can please understand
you might not come back 



For many QAnon affcionados and such ilk (such as Mr. Nugent), that seems to be about right. 
 

When Ted Nugent took a journey to the center of his mind he discovered it consisted of nothing but a creamy nougat center.
Oh fuck another overplayed song that I heard too much on the radio
The NUGE! Mr Gibson Byrdland. Love em or leave him.
Thanks to RP, I just found out this isn't Moody Blues.

But you're also going to tell me it's Ted Nugent? "Loaded for Bear"?

I really don't know what to say.
 Rockit9 wrote:
Acid did wonders for song creation.
 
Apparently it also fried Ted's brain. 
Acid did wonders for song creation.
For it's a land
unknown to man 
where fantasy is fact 
so if you can please understand
you might not come back 



For many QAnon affcionados and such ilk (such as Mr. Nugent), that seems to be about right. 
Just going to point out that if you were in eight grade and this came on your transistor radio in the back seat of the school bus,  you rocked out.
Why do I always think this is The Moody Blues on amphetamines?
How happy life could be if all of mankind
Would take the time to journey to the center of the mind
I enjoy this, and Annie Hall. Do you hate the art if the artist is reprehensible?
Solid “1” rating for this piece. Yuck!
 I agree - he is a nut case but Stranglehold is immaculate. The world is a strange place.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nugent_discography#Singles

idiot_wind wrote:
The guy is a nut case, but for a time in the 1970s, he was one of the best guitar players.

Just listen to "Stranglehold" and his rifts are godlike. 

 


I'm glad I've already digested my lunch. This totally sucks.
before he suffered brain damage from lead and gun powder
No covers, RP!
 idiot_wind wrote:
The guy is a nut case, but for a time in the 1970s, he was one of the best guitar players.

Just listen to "Stranglehold" and his rifts are godlike. 

 
His 70's material was primo. Really seemed to lose it in the 80's,Damn Yankees?, but he rocked as hard as any band back in the day.  Great guitar player who probably does not get his due.   
FUCKTEDNUGENTNOSERIOUSLYFUCKTEDNUGENTANDALLTHESARAHPALINKIDROCKALTRIGHTTYPESASSHOLESOFTEABAGPERSUASIONTENDENCY.
SERIOUS ASSHOLE WHO NEEDS ROYALTIES DENIED.
nO DONATIONS FOR rp! PHUCK ALL THAT
Wow ! ...... this is really terrible ....
 bindi wrote:
I like a song that Ted Nugent  was part of?   Ugh...  At least I will admit that he had some redeeming quality once.
 
You'd better; he'd probably shoot you otherwise.
https://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54cd9c330a9bd_-_esq-ted-nugent-guns-0313-de.jpg
I like a song that Ted Nugent  was part of?   Ugh...  At least I will admit that he had some redeeming quality once.
There's a lot more to this than a lead guitarist. Great bass and taps.
 xtalman wrote:

Not sure of the great rock'n'roll, some was pretty good.  As for his views I give them as much time and thought as any other musician and celebrity which is to say not much.  Just sing/preform  I don't give a rats ass what you think I am not paying to hear what you think.

 
Well said. 
 WonderLizard wrote:

Naw, he's just a guy with a point of view that I, and presumably you, disagree with. Can't disagree with his talent, his gift for guitar, and the fact that once upon a time he made great rock'n'roll.

 
Not sure of the great rock'n'roll, some was pretty good.  As for his views I give them as much time and thought as any other musician and celebrity which is to say not much.  Just sing/preform  I don't give a rats ass what you think I am not paying to hear what you think.
Nugent today would be that aging jazzman in the crowd protesting such kind of music in front of the local venue, back then. Murika.
The guy is a nut case, but for a time in the 1970s, he was one of the best guitar players.

Just listen to "Stranglehold" and his rifts are godlike. 
I am cool with my age and the things I did.   This track was and still does capture the drug culture music experience of the time. 
One of Ted's better guitar solos!
This came out just in time for my freshman year in college. Let the journeys begin........
Wow.... haven't heard this in a long time.  I recognized it from the first riff.....   Got me smiling!   :-)
TED was 17 when this was recorded ......{#Bananajam} 

God Bless America and Our First Amendment .......Never Happen in a Muslim state! 
 kingart wrote:
Song: being generous at an 8, in part because I remember its era and sound fondly.  
The guitarist's then and subsequent talent: a 6, I'd guestimate.  
His character:  shall we say a marginal 2, as are many of the politicos he proclaims are stellar for America, which I suppose is why he and they suck up to each other. Nugent is the best of all low-life worst worlds: a racist, ignorant, opportunistic has-been. 

 
But, he can sure ride a buffalo.  If only the buffalo wasn't sedated.  Now that would be something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yL-bSFd4A


Picard facepalm
Song: being generous at an 8, in part because I remember its era and sound fondly.  
The guitarist's then and subsequent talent: a 6, I'd guestimate.  
His character:  shall we say a marginal 2, as are many of the politicos he proclaims are stellar for America, which I suppose is why he and they suck up to each other. Nugent is the best of all low-life worst worlds: a racist, ignorant, opportunistic has-been. 
 WonderLizard wrote:

Naw, he's just a guy with a point of view that I, and presumably you, disagree with. Can't disagree with his talent, his gift for guitar, and the fact that once upon a time he made great rock'n'roll.

 
Yeah well, I suppose a lot of utter morons and insane people are "just guys with a point of view", right?  {#Beat}  Nice try but no cigar.

Nugent is a poor excuse for a human being.
 WonderLizard wrote:

Naw, he's just a guy with a point of view that I, and presumably you, disagree with. Can't disagree with his talent, his gift for guitar, and the fact that once upon a time he made great rock'n'roll.

 
Yeah, you know, there are a lot of people in the entertainment world I'd probably find to be an odious human being. But fortunately they don't live next door to me, so frankly I don't really give a damn about their opinions. I'm just hiring them to entertain me.

And if you're old enough to remember listening to this song on a Sears Silvertone transistor radio in the back of the school bus with the rest of the "bad" kids, you're willing to overlook Nugent's supposed transgressions. 
 jagdriver wrote:
He's a subhuman mongrel and gangster.

 
Naw, he's just a guy with a point of view that I, and presumably you, disagree with. Can't disagree with his talent, his gift for guitar, and the fact that once upon a time he made great rock'n'roll.
He's a subhuman mongrel and gangster.
shellbella, Mon Cherie, that's the very best definition of The Tedster I've ever seen!!.  "Kablam!", as Jon Stewart would say.  Brava!  Brava!
 ubuntourist wrote:
I always think "The Moody Blues" when I hear this, rather than "The Amboy Dukes"...
 
Not without that ubiquitous mellotron - obnoxiously mixed too loud.  Lyrically, there is some similarity to the Moodies, though.
 johnjconn wrote:

One question:
Who's Ted Nugent?

 
The Has Been Who Never Was...
Definitely has the flavor of the times...Moody Blues, Jeff Beck and Yardbirds, many others...
Psychedelic! 
Traveled to the center of my mind many times and enjoyed the trip every time.
 That_SOB wrote:


A piece of dog feces which the Secret Service has no love for. A puke who likes to fill his shorts with crap.
 
Must one such as you take of picture of they self and then try to plaster it on those that the dislikes. So ignorant and deceived. Its okay, we have room even for the likes of you. 
 That_SOB wrote:


A piece of dog feces which the Secret Service has no love for. A puke who likes to fill his shorts with crap.
 
Gotta kill it before you grill it. I once heard him claim that his eliminations are red white and blue. The guy is kind of a crank, but he is no dummy.
 johnjconn wrote:

One question:
Who's Ted Nugent?

 

A piece of dog feces which the Secret Service has no love for. A puke who likes to fill his shorts with crap.

mrtuba9
(most likely near Normal)
Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 07:19 

 Stratocaster wrote:
Great segue - from Dick Dale, to me BEING a Dick for always thinking this song was done by the Moody Blues.
 
same here {#Eek}

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
a tuba, a guitar, and a road-weary traveler all similarly afflicted....  {#Eek}
 Stratocaster wrote:
Great segue - from Dick Dale, to me BEING a Dick for always thinking this song was done by the Moody Blues.
 
same here {#Eek}
 johnjconn wrote:

One question:
Who's Ted Nugent?

 
The nutty center of the candy bar? ;-)
Great segue - from Dick Dale, to me BEING a Dick for always thinking this song was done by the Moody Blues.
I always think "The Moody Blues" when I hear this, rather than "The Amboy Dukes"...
 johnjconn wrote:

One question:
Who's Ted Nugent?

 

Just some idiot who can really wail an axe.
Ah hell yeah! All I can think about now is heading off into the woods with my bow and quiver full of broadheads to kill, skin, and grill some unsuspecting spawn of Bambi. Is there a lady alive that wouldn't want to spend their honeymoon in a tent in the Upper Peninsula with the Motor City Madman?

All kidding aside, he's a pretty good guitar player.
 sirdroseph wrote:

Indeed. First I would like to preface that Nugent is one of the finest rock guitarist that ever played. Secondly, yes he is an idiot and let it be a cautionary tale for all you kiddies out there of the dangers of not doing drugs.
 
I never thought about it that way.  Sobriety kills?



The correct artwork...
 BillG wrote:

My opinion is based on his behavior the one time I met him. It's reinforced by what I hear from people who've dealt with him professionally. Just my opinion, though. 
 
Indeed. First I would like to preface that Nugent is one of the finest rock guitarist that ever played. Secondly, yes he is an idiot and let it be a cautionary tale for all you kiddies out there of the dangers of not doing drugs.

 bachbeet wrote:
I may not like/agree with his politics but I've always liked this song.
 
I do agree with his politics.  Ted Nugent for President!
THEY weren't doing this, they were just SINGING it...

I remember an interview Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw did when they were in Damn Yankees with Nugent.  They were asked, "What's the one thing you've learned during this stint?"  Blades said immediately, "How to play FAST."  Everyone laughed, and he followed up with, "He's not called the Motor City Madman for nothing - when you commit to one of his songs, you better be able to keep up with him because he won't slow down for you."
 bachbeet wrote:
I may not like/agree with his politics but I've always liked this song.
 

Ditto!
I may not like/agree with his politics but I've always liked this song.

Saw the Amboy Dukes in Saugatuck, MI in '68. They nailed this song and I've always loved it since. Today's Nugemeister can't replicate this sound or take away from its musical enjoyment with his antics today.


Our culture give way to much importance to the ideas of artists that speak outside of their artistic purview. Right wing nut job or Marxist Left wing nut job....Why do I care about what an actor /actress/musicians/ visual artists has to say about politics.....etc. We hear their ideas because of the bully pulpit their access provides. We see the serious issues that arise when our cultural conversation is driven by the entertainment industry.
I care about what Ted says about playing guitar....that's about it.

Although I cant resist....
"I don't care what people do in their own bedrooms, as long as they don't splash it on me..." -Ted Nugget 



 BillG wrote:

My opinion is based on his behavior the one time I met him. It's reinforced by what I hear from people who've dealt with him professionally. Just my opinion, though. 
 
I met Ted in about '94 - did sound for him at an NRA dealio at the University of Wyoming.  I'll just keep the description short - he was not very nice.


"Ted Nugent is a douchebag", I'll agree with but don't kill the music because of the artist!

Listen to sweaty Uncle Teddy go!
 kurtster wrote:

Jeez, if I considered the politics, sexual preferences, intellegence, and social values of all the musicians first that made the music I love, it would be a very quiet world that I would be living in.

 
Somehow I doubt this statement is entirely true.  I believe that much of the music that appeals to us the most has the qualities we most admire behind it.


 kurtster wrote:
...if I considered the politics, sexual preferences, intellegence, and social values of all the musicians first that made the music I love, it would be a very quiet world that I would be living in.
 

QFT.
 toterola wrote:


I am open minded and tolerant. And I believe in reciprocity.

I just hate this guy, and everything about him.

This song gets plenty of play on the Classic Rock stations. Leave it to them. It fits nicely between "Incense and Peppermints" and anything by Sammy Hagar.

I have an opinion, just like everyone else. But the facts are: Ted Nugent is a Right-wing nut (and a coward) who loudly dismisses everything and everyone he disagrees with. I'm just returning the favor. Peace. {#Wave}
 
Jeez, if I considered the politics, sexual preferences, intellegence, and social values of all the musicians first that made the music I love, it would be a very quiet world that I would be living in.

this is kicking my a$$!
Holy crap! The Dukes on RP?

As for {#Arrowd}, I have to agree with Bill. There is a film in the works about Detroit's Grande Ballroom (equivalent to the original Fillmore*). The original trailer featured Terrible Ted spouting off in the most obnoxious and offensive manner possible. I wrote the film's producer and told him that if he wants to do this film justice, then remove that segment. The advice was taken, I'm happy to report.

*EDIT: In fact, Bill Graham himself personally instructed "Uncle" Russ Gibb (on a SF visit and, later, of "Paul Is Dead" fame) how to run such an enterprise.

 scocam wrote:
An idiot? C'mon, Bill. Leave your personal opinions out of the music. I am interested in why you believe he's an idiot since you offered no other reason other than political affiliation which you played off. I'm disappointed. Nugent has done more for MADD and other anti-drug advocacy groups than a huge majority of other musicians, actors or professionals. Calling the man an idiot is way off base.
 
My opinion is based on his behavior the one time I met him. It's reinforced by what I hear from people who've dealt with him professionally. Just my opinion, though. 
An idiot? C'mon, Bill. Leave your personal opinions out of the music. I am interested in why you believe he's an idiot since you offered no other reason other than political affiliation which you played off. I'm disappointed. Nugent has done more for MADD and other anti-drug advocacy groups than a huge majority of other musicians, actors or professionals. Calling the man an idiot is way off base.
Re: Nugent: Couldn't agree more with Bill.
 toterola wrote:
Ted Nugent is a Right-wing nut (and a coward) who loudly dismisses everything and everyone he disagrees with.
 
Your point? Don'cha kinda think he'd fit in around here? {#Wink} This is still pretty good rock'n'roll.

dancing erratically and making no sense at all-! 
{#Guitarist}....Heavy!!

there's a video for this on youtube very high quality dancing girls and everything.
The other night I went to sleep and I actually thought to myself this thought (which made me very happy):
 " tomorrow there were be more psychedelic music to listen to"
then you guys play this! The music's great, of course, but the lyrics are over-the-top kinda funny:
"Beyond the seas of thought
Beyond the realm of what
Across the streams of hopes and dreams where things are really not"
Always puts a huge smile on my face.
Ted still gets 'em stirred up! Like being scared of Alice Cooper's makeup.
Cleanup on aisle 1, frothing fundamentalist zealots.


 lemmoth wrote:
re:  Ted Nugent is a douchebag  

jadewahoo wrote:

Yeah... well, so are Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and a whole host of other rock 'n rollers. That being said, what does your comment have to do with the music?

Me... I enjoyed the song.
 

Ringo???  Now why whould you bring the loveable Ringo into this discussion.
 

Though I don't think I'd want to pal around with Ted, either, I still love this song.
Damn. Takes me back to high school. I thought it was cool then and, miraculously - in a way - I still do. If I could go back with the mind that I have now, I'm not sure that I would have predicted that. Of course, that's such a ridiculously circular thought that it probably a) makes no sense; or b) is ultimately pointless. Or maybe it's c) - both a and b.

But seriously, I still love hearing the opening notes of this song as it revs up. And I love the feeling from that time in my life (which I can't always say).
Now follow it up with "Terminus El Dorado."  I triple-dog dares ya!
Great old stuff.  Nice to hear now and then, especially now.
re:  Ted Nugent is a douchebag  

jadewahoo wrote:

Yeah... well, so are Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and a whole host of other rock 'n rollers. That being said, what does your comment have to do with the music?

Me... I enjoyed the song.
 

Ringo???  Now why whould you bring the loveable Ringo into this discussion.
 RParadise wrote:

Quick!  Drop that tab and put on the headphones before it's too late!!


 

Unless you're doing liquid on the eyeball, I think you'll miss anyway.

It's kinda like turbolag. Takes a while to get there but once on the gas, hold on baby!{#Clap}
 toterola wrote:
 But the facts are: Ted Nugent is a Right-wing nut (and a coward) who loudly dismisses everything and everyone he disagrees with. I'm just returning the favor. Peace. {#Wave}
 
Somehow "returning the favor" places you at the same level as Mr. Nugent. Sadly.

Maybe Bill should substitute Journey to the Center of Catbutt in the playlist. (yes, they really existed)
 kh808 wrote:
Ted Nuggent was 17 years young when they did this album !!!
I had friends in Michigan that knew him back then!
 
We heard the Dukes everywhere we went; there was no escape! Kinda like the MC5, the Stooges and Bob Seger, they were ubiquitous back in the day.

The Birmingham Paladium lives!

 Hannio wrote:


It's not enough that you would simply hit the mute button - you would deny the rest of us any enjoyment of this classic gem.  And I bet you regard yourself as open-minded and tolerant.
 

I am open minded and tolerant. And I believe in reciprocity.

I just hate this guy, and everything about him.

This song gets plenty of play on the Classic Rock stations. Leave it to them. It fits nicely between "Incense and Peppermints" and anything by Sammy Hagar.

I have an opinion, just like everyone else. But the facts are: Ted Nugent is a Right-wing nut (and a coward) who loudly dismisses everything and everyone he disagrees with. I'm just returning the favor. Peace. {#Wave}


 joshfm wrote:
Ted Nugent is a douche bag.
 
Yeah... well, so are Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and a whole host of other rock 'n rollers. That being said, what does your comment have to do with the music?

Me... I enjoyed the song.


Ted Nugent is a douche bag.
 toterola wrote:
Please don't play this anymore. I hate this guy and I don't want to hear his music or his B.S.
 

It's not enough that you would simply hit the mute button - you would deny the rest of us any enjoyment of this classic gem.  And I bet you regard yourself as open-minded and tolerant.


Quick!  Drop that tab and put on the headphones before it's too late!!


 bitbanger wrote:
 

 OK, I'll keep playing:

1) If one skates on thin ice they might fall through and drown.

2) When Carl Sagan didn't stick to his knitting he was often full of baloney.

3) Yes it is.

Your turn.

 
Hint: look carefully at the examples in the kit to get beyond overly literal interpretations of the labels on the tools.

I love the glacial pace of these RP conversations.

Peace,

Otomi
 Otomi wrote:
bitbanger wrote:

> Did I get that right?

Close, Bitbanger, except that the simultaneous existence of outraged critical thinkers and brainwashed people doesn't mean that everyone is necessarily in one category or the other; that would be a false dichotomy, something I didn't state nor mean to imply. 

> How's that for critical...

Not too bad, although I think I caught three of the fallacies listed in Carl Sagan's Baloney detection kit, cited in the second of my two links, in your last post: (1) "Argument from adverse consequences", (2) "Non sequitur", and (3) "Slippery slope".


  

 OK, I'll keep playing:

1) If one skates on thin ice they might fall through and drown.

2) When Carl Sagan didn't stick to his knitting he was often full of baloney.

3) Yes it is.

Your turn.



Yah very Moody Blues-Like . . . .

 westslope wrote:

You mean like wearing bell-bottomed blue jeans in heavy black fly country?

 

Always reminds me of the Moody Blues and always disappoints a bit.  The production kinda sucks but hey it could be worse.



 
Yeah, it could be worse. Toby Keith could do a cover version. {#Roflol}
Ted Nuggent was 17 years young when they did this album !!!
I had friends in Michigan that knew him back then!


 ROSSinDETROIT wrote:
Semi-competent psych-rock.  Interesting to the sufficiently stoned but otherwise the sonic equivalent of bell bottoms and fringed vests.  laughable.

 

You mean like wearing bell-bottomed blue jeans in heavy black fly country?

 

Always reminds me of the Moody Blues and always disappoints a bit.  The production kinda sucks but hey it could be worse.



bitbanger wrote:

> Did I get that right?

Close, Bitbanger, except that the simultaneous existence of outraged critical thinkers and brainwashed people doesn't mean that everyone is necessarily in one category or the other; that would be a false dichotomy, something I didn't state nor mean to imply. 

> How's that for critical...

Not too bad, although I think I caught three of the fallacies listed in Carl Sagan's Baloney detection kit, cited in the second of my two links, in your last post: (1) "Argument from adverse consequences", (2) "Non sequitur", and (3) "Slippery slope".


Otomi wrote:

    I guess we have different ideas about what "critical thinking" means, Bitbanger. Here's one of my favorite concise definitions (in this case the concept is focused on the evaluation of paranormal claims): https://www.csicop.org/si/9012/critical-thinking.html.
    By the way, a distorted caricature of an argument is much easier to "refute" than the genuine ideas present in the message you're replying to. Some critical thinkers call this the "straw man" fallacy. Here's a link with a brief description of that: https://www.skepticreport.com/skepticism/baloneydetectionkit.htm.
    Freedom of expression is essential to society. Then comes the discussion. May the best arguments prevail.

  

My reply wasn't a straw man it was just plain sarcasm. Maybe I need to ‘splain...

Your earlier argument was that critical thinkers were outraged and if you weren't outraged you were brainwashed. Did I get that right? My comment is that your dialectic leads logically to tyrannies where those in power can make a moral argument to re-educate those poor, deluded, deactivated, and brainwashed souls.

How's that for critical...



Ironic to hear this psychedelic Dukes in that Terrible Ted was/is a total anti-hippie. I bet he's crossbowing some furry creature to it's horrific death as I type...