[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Alanis Morissette — Surrendering
Album: Under Rug Swept
Avg rating:
5.8

Your rating:
Total ratings: 82









Released: 2001
Length: 4:34
Plays (last 30 days): 0
You were full and fully capable
You were self sufficient and needless
Your house was fully decorated in that sense

You were taken with me to a point
A case of careful what you wish for
But what you knew was enough to begin

And so you called and courted fiercely
So you reached out, entirely fearless
And yet you knew of reservation and how it serves

And I salute you for your courage
And I applaud your perseverance
And I embrace you for your faith in the face of adversarial forces
That I represent

So you were in but not entirely
You were up for this but not totally
You knew how arms length-ing can maintain doubt

And so you fell and you're intact
So you dove in and you're still breathing
So you jumped and you're still flying if not shocked

And I support you in your trusting
And I commend you for your wisdom
And I'm amazed by your surrender in the face of threatening forces
That I represent

You found creative ways to distance
You hid away from much through humor
Your choice of armor was your intellect

And so you felt and you're still here
And so you died and you're still standing
And so you softened and you're still safely in command

And I salute you for your courage
And I applaud your perseverance
And I embrace you for your faith in the face of adversarial forces
That I represent

Self protection was in times of true danger
Your best defense to mistrust and be wary
Surrendering a feat of unequalled measure
And I'm thrilled to let you in
Overjoyed to be let in in kind

And I salute you for your courage
And I commend you for your wisdom
And I embrace you for your faith in the face of adversarial forces
And I support you in your trusting
And I applaud your perseverance
And I'm amazed by your surrender in the face of threatening forces
That I represent
Comments (43)add comment
her whole \"let\'s jam twice as many words as we should into a line\" schtick is getting real old. hang it up, alanis, hang it up...
She should surrender her \"so called\" music career and spare us the agony! :cry:
Sounds like she plagiarized the lyrics from some third-rate self-improvement manual.
Oh yea of oh so little musical imagination and grasp. Life must be so sad for you. Expand your minds before it\'s too late and you become, \"Born Again\". I hear THEY all love Kenny G :p
Definitely not Ms. Morissette\'s finest moment, however it is nonetheless a fair track that is quite enjoyable, if a tad cliched withing her own stylee. Alanis suffered the misfortune of being overrated in her heyday and now most people don\'t give her her due. :cry: C\'mon guys and gals, she ain\'t THAT bad! :roll:
Originally Posted by hibbyduck: I disagree; on behalf of Canada I would sooner apologize for Nickelback or the insipid Delirium. Alanis M. has broken *some* ground. I agree, though; that last song was whiny. HD.
I do, however, thank you for giving us Our Lady Peace. Good stuff, that. --AJ
I agree, If I never heard another song by her for the rest of my life, I would be quite happy
Originally Posted by great_one: Painful! Just plain painful! :frustrated: :frustrated:
Painful! Just plain painful! :frustrated: :frustrated:
Jagged Little Pill grew on me but I very often find myself trying to like Alanis. I always get the feeling she\'s just splattering the tune out and seeing where it will go. To unsure of itself for my taste. :??:
Originally Posted by scren: why play alanis when there is so much better music out there? :??:
but you don't recommend something similar but better? how can those of us who sort-of like Alanis find something similar but better if all you do is criticize?
Grapple me grapenuts, look at that Alanis Morissette
I\'m not really an Alanis fan - got over it in college... Really I wanted to email to say thank you for including so many female artists in your line-up. It\'s refreshing. Think there might be any room for some Joni Mitchell? People\'s Parties? Case of You? The Last Time I Saw Richard? Carey? Anything from Miles of Aisles?
:notworthy:
I really like this song :)
Alanis Grossette- her music is really too confusing to listen to
Pretty good pop tune. I have to say I like it, even though I\'m not a big Alanis fan. :D
I couldn\'t stand either of her first two albums. So far, I like what I\'ve heard here.
this album is great, and her lyrics are real as usual :) :D
crappy crap :lol:
The musical example of trying way too hard. Awkward lyrics in an attempt to appear profound. No thanks.
Originally Posted by hibbyduck: I disagree; on behalf of Canada I would sooner apologize for Nickelback or the insipid Delirium. Alanis M. has broken *some* ground. I agree, though; that last song was whiny. HD.
HD, I hate to say it... and granted... they aren't groundbreaking at all... BUT I think there may be some talent in Nickelback and Default. Songs will get old quickly but for the few times I must listen to FM, I'll enjoy hearing these guys more than just about anybody else around right now (that gets played on FM). This song's alright, nothing special. Gets the unusual 6 from me.
why play alanis when there is so much better music out there? :??:
Sorry, can't see anything here. Too strong and weak, simple and pretentious, at the same time. The music adds nothing. Better off as poetry if it comes across as anything at all...
Originally Posted by robyule: On behalf of Canada I appologize - not one of our best exports ! :eek:
I disagree; on behalf of Canada I would sooner apologize for Nickelback or the insipid Delirium. Alanis M. has broken *some* ground. I agree, though; that last song was whiny. HD.
On behalf of Canada I appologize - not one of our best exports ! :eek:
dentist\'s office music
what a pile of amnesiac pish. sorry what was the last song?
Originally Posted by dsafanda: Garbage! No wait...I like the band "Garbage". Just incredibly annoying, and the production; sounds like she's singing inside a tin can.
You're right, she must be singing inside a tin can. I can't imagine why they thought this would be appealing.
pretty ho-hummy Alanis-sounding stuff. First time I\'ve heard it (thanks RP!). Maybe it\'ll grow on me. But then, maybe warts will, too. I think this song would remind non-AM fans why they\'re non-fans. :)
Garbage! No wait...I like the band \"Garbage\". Just incredibly annoying, and the production; sounds like she\'s singing inside a tin can.
Originally Posted by Typesbad: I hate to put her in such a small box, but I seem to only like Alanis when she is angery or disgusted.
I hate to put her in such a small box, but I seem to only like Alanis when she isn't shrieking like an embittered harpy. I actually had no idea how pleasant her voice could be until I started hearing stuff from this album. I could certainly do without the banshee-with-an-attitude wailing of previous albums, but I'll take this any day.
I really like the songs off of Alanis' latest album, Under Rug Swept. The lyrics are positive, spiritual, uplifting and supportive. I think she is growing up! I love her earlier angrier music, don't get me wrong, but this new material is equally good.
I hate to put her in such a small box, but I seem to only like Alanis when she is angery or disgusted.
Originally Posted by RParadise: I think it's because she has such a distinctive voice, inflection and pronunciation. There's no mistaking a song by Alanis three seconds into hearing the first vocals. Sure, she can be repetitive on some numbers, but so can a lot of the artists we all love. Part of liking the sound of a group or performer is developing an appreciation for their "sound." They only get a sound by returning to the motifs and techniques they have perfected. This is not necessarily a bad thing. But I go on ....
This is pretty good writing. Is it hers?
Originally Posted by rmurray248: Pretty average. Do all of her songs sound the same because she's so distinctive or because she's so repetitive? Not sure...
I think it's because she has such a distinctive voice, inflection and pronunciation. There's no mistaking a song by Alanis three seconds into hearing the first vocals. Sure, she can be repetitive on some numbers, but so can a lot of the artists we all love. Part of liking the sound of a group or performer is developing an appreciation for their "sound." They only get a sound by returning to the motifs and techniques they have perfected. This is not necessarily a bad thing. But I go on ....
if you have a chance to watch the VH1 Behind the music on Alanis, I think you have to at least appreciate what she has gone through as it relates to her music. Granted, her CDs appear to be rather public therapy sessions, but interesting ones at that. I love this song if for nothing more than the way she fits the word \'adversarial\' into the phrasing.. go alanis go!
Not bad. I, too, have Alanis as a guilty pleasure...but so what!?
Alanis drives me crazy. I can\'t stand how she grinds her r\'s. She\'s got an annoying, grating voice, and an overly pretentious view of her own song-writing skills. Alanis could retroactively rescind all of her CD\'s and make Canada apologize for unleashing her upon the world, and all would be right in my world.
Pretty average. Do all of her songs sound the same because she\'s so distinctive or because she\'s so repetitive? Not sure...
Alanis is too grating to me, but there's a flaw in my logic. I'm tainted by the commercial airwave's portrayal of her. This song I like. Where else but RP could I realize that my musical impressions are skewed? 2nd time hearing this and I REALLY like it now.
I\'ve always considered her a guilty pleasure as sugar-coated-pop icon. But... I have to admit, she seems to be struggling for some depth and legitimacy despite her major-label status and massive mall-chick following. I give her more credit all the time...
I like this one.
i have never been a big fan, but this song shows off her talent as a songwriter quite well.