[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Liz Phair — Ride
Album: Whitechocolatespaceegg
Avg rating:
6.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 883









Released: 1998
Length: 3:00
Plays (last 30 days): 3
As I stumble into bed, I curse the devil in my head
And if I die before I wake, I hope the lord won't hesitate
To pluck my coffin from the ground
He need not heed the neighbors now
And throw me up for all to see, the flies of
August swarming me...

I get a ride. Right by your side
Under your skin. I'm digging in

Well I don't know, but I've been told
The road to heaven is paved with gold
And if I die before I wake, I need a ride
From you

Well sticks and stones can break my bones
And boys can make me kick and moan
But when I want it autodrive, I get a ride
From you

I get a ride 98.5 Positive T-cell Regeneration
Regeneration Regeneration Positive T-cell Regeneration
Comments (144)add comment
YES YES YES!!! Don't overthink it, friends.
Vocal fry, skip this.
Love this!
 dmcanany wrote:

The problem is, she doesn't have any of the other stuff B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc. have. If she did, then no argument. 
 
You mean a d*ck? Because Iā€™m not really seeing your point otherwise.
 dmcanany wrote:

The problem is, she doesn't have any of the other stuff B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc. have. If she did, then no argument. 
 

Hmm. Well, I like her voice.
 Proclivities wrote:

There are plenty of singer/songwriters whose voices are not considered technically "good" (B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc.).  Stick with American Idol and you'll be safe.
 
The problem is, she doesn't have any of the other stuff B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc. have. If she did, then no argument. 
 Proclivities wrote:

There are plenty of singer/songwriters whose voices are not considered technically "good" (B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc.).  Stick with American Idol and you'll be safe.
 šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘ŒšŸ‘Œ

 Jimmy86 wrote:
I'm not too familiar with Liz Phair (unlike one other poster here, I LIKE Supernova, but it's about the only one I know), but I liked this! She's got a very nice voice, and the arrangements on this song were really cool! Play more Liz Phair, as I want to know more about her!
 
The unusual composition, arrangements, and interesting guitar textures are what makes her music special to me. I also enjoy her voice and lyrics that express her "attitude". Love this album most of all, it's still real but more musical and polished in a good way to my ears. Please play more from it like Big Tall Man, Johnny Feelgood, Baby Got Going, or Headache. I love Exile too, but isn't it possible that this is also an authentic expression of her after having a child?
 weevilkinevil wrote:
Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
 
There are plenty of singer/songwriters whose voices are not considered technically "good" (B. Dylan, N. Young, T. Waits. L. Cohen, etc.).  Stick with American Idol and you'll be safe.
various comments saying her voice sucks... I hear her voice crack on "boys can make me kick and moan" and think "now there's a lost weekend waiting to happen". Yum.
Never heard this before; not a surprise as this milieu has never been my norm.

However, gotta go with an 8 for her sparkle, sunshine, and spunk.
Liz's voice still makes me stop and smile, 20 years later. There is something lighthearted and playful about her voice that takes me back to good times in the 90's...
No one could argue that this album is as good as Exile. Which makes one wonder how nothing from Exile in Guyville appears on the RP playlist.
lizzie is fabulicious...
that was a ride
purchase
Yes!
No! Awful!

∩ weevilkinevil wrote:
Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
 
It's like coffee, wine, beer, etc. It sucks the first time you try it and you think "people really like this stuff"? But if you keep trying it grows on you and sooner or later you understand it. 


Johnny Feelgood is a better cut. But love the whole album.

 weevilkinevil wrote:
Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
 

Yes it does.{#Hearteyes} I think her voice sucks too, but I don't care.

As an christian child, I must not prohibited this song!
Think over! It's what Jesus say!


 enidualc wrote:
 
i'm a super huge fan, so i wont comment on your voice comment, nor will i tell you that you suck; but i'll agree she's an acquired taste and to me she's yummy. {#Tongue-out}


 
weevilkinevil wrote:
Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
 
  mee too!


 4merdj wrote:
It is only phair to give Liz a ride {#Devil_pimp}
 
WORD.

It is only phair to give Liz a ride {#Devil_pimp}
 duchamp wrote:
How do you spell FLAT?
 
It looks like you figured out how to spell it all by yourself. 

How do you spell FLAT?
love
 
i'm a super huge fan, so i wont comment on your voice comment, nor will i tell you that you suck; but i'll agree she's an acquired taste and to me she's yummy. {#Tongue-out}


 
weevilkinevil wrote:
Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
 


Liz Phair's voice sucks. Comments about how hot she looks doesn't make up for the fact that she audibly has little talent.
my grrlll liz.
one of her best lines...................kick n moan..................{#Flamed}

Love this song from my favorite Liz Phair record. 

On another note, does the stream keep cutting out for anyone else? It's been doing that for a while this morning no matter which settings I use. Was doing the same thing last night on my home computer. 
 brandog wrote:
The roots of slack-rock - love this album (degenerate as it is.)
 
Hah!  Almost spit out my diet coke.  The above statement is SO true.

Exile is one of the best albums of the 90's.  This album isn't anywhere near that level, but a song like this sure is fun!  And totally degenerate.
Not crazy about her music, but boy do I love her!!{#Hearteyes}
Really fun album.
Well, we're in some mood this morning!  Love the fly-swarming image — LOL
Bill, if you're going to play a Liz Phair song, "Flower" should be at the top of the list.

Seriously.


Hush little baby, don't say a word...

Sorry. Switched to Groove Salad. Can't take this. 
Love her.
Mediocre at best....one hit wonder with  "Super Nova" in 1994.  Sheryl Crow blows her away in this genre..... as a guitarist and singer.....

i was listening to Exile in Guyville at my desk before this song came on!!! yay
 j7 wrote:
as soon as I hear her voice, I'm horny.
 
If you were a guy, imagine how much more aroused you would be!

I love this dirty girl, too.
Every time she sings, it's like she's in bed with me.
If only...
As if....
Hello, Liz? Are you out there?

 enidualc wrote:

love this dirty girl {#High-five}


 
Absolutely!  Ever since I heard Exile in Guyville in the early 90s.  Always wanted to party with her...seems to be quite adventurous.{#Yes}

love this dirty girl {#High-five}


Looking at track listing for the album, it will be a rare occasion when "polyester bride" is played again. 
{#Bananajumprope} toe tappin good times.

{#Headache}
Loathe her. Shut UP, Liz.
 robco1 wrote:
I want to watch TV with Liz. You fans will know the reference...

...what can I say? I'm in a rude mood.
 
At 4 am when the light is gray? I'll bring the jacks.  {#Wink}

P.S. I totally dig this song, one of the better ones from WCSE. It's good to need a ride!
daveesh wrote:
never understood the appeal...
Looking at your ratings........this seems to be common for you.......about a hundred ones!


i totally understand how some people just can't get liz. i mean, there's almost a disconnect between her first few and her more recent. she's changed directions. in my mind, i can't actually blame her - her position has changed. i don't necessarily like it, but it is what it is. i, however, love this cd from beginning to end. some tracks more than others. (same with her first cd which totally rocked my world and not just because it's awesome, but because of the track for track answering to the stones' exile on mainstreet, one of my 10 desert island cds) and i love this track a lot. won't go into why, but i love it.
There's not being wanting to sing (Robert Plant, Q-Tip for 2 sides of the same dice) Then there's trying to sing and just not being able to. That's this.
very catchy and irreverent - nice twists on old cliches
Too much Liz still isn't enough. Incredible woman.
Whoa, totally thought this was Poe!
I want to watch TV with Liz. You fans will know the reference... ...what can I say? I'm in a rude mood.
OMG I love you BILL!!!! I've been looking for this song for WEEKS :bananajam: :bananajumprope: :bananapiano: :drummer: :bananasplit: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana_2: :dance: :clap: :motor:
The image that God throws her up to 'The flies of August swarming me'... quite vivid ?>9
The roots of slack-rock - love this album (degenerate as it is.)
aaehr wrote:
who can like cotton-candy 60s ripoff, with little self-involved vocal fillups?
I CAN!!!!!
aaehr wrote:
who can like cotton-candy 60s ripoff, with little self-involved vocal fillups?
Oh! Oh! Me! Me!
who can like cotton-candy 60s ripoff, with little self-involved vocal fillups?
No wonder people thought Rock was dead around the time this came out. It was.
I love Liz Phair.
skdenfeld wrote:
I've heard much better from her.
I've heard much better from... anybody. :shifty: Sorry, I rate only a 5, 'cause I'm in a good mood.
celadonstone wrote:
How could you not like someone who "F*ck$ like a volcano..." Yip, I liked "Supernova" from Whip-Smart. Now that's great 90s grrrl rock.
I've heard much better from her.
steeler wrote:
Exile in Guyville is a stripped-down piece of work, musically and emotionally. Exceptional. I doubt she'll ever come remotely close to matching it.
True.
queenjill wrote:
Go back to "Exile in Guyville." Even if you don't think it's a masterpiece, you'll understand where some people might. It's her most genuinely personal and emotional work, whereas this song is just pop fluff.
Yep. Exile in Guyville is a stripped-down piece of work, musically and emotionally. Exceptional. I doubt she'll ever come remotely lose to matching it. But I don't mind this one.
hehehehehehe.....
dwhayslett wrote:
One might apply that judgement to the apparent idea that this is the only song she's ever released...
i have 97 of her songs on my ipod :mrgreen: (perhaps a few duplicates...)
bokey wrote:
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
I don't know if it's representative of her work, but I'm not impressed either.
Such a dirty little girl. I loves me some Liz Phair.
bokey wrote:
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
One might apply that judgement to the apparent idea that this is the only song she's ever released...
love my liz ~sigh~ perfect way to end the work week! :motor:
bokey wrote:
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
I wanna hold her hand.
bokey wrote:
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
Go back to "Exile in Guyville." Even if you don't think it's a masterpiece, you'll understand where some people might. It's her most genuinely personal and emotional work, whereas this song is just pop fluff.
bokey wrote:
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
This isn't typical of her current stuff. Or maybe I'm mixing her up with Fiona Apple.
Liz Phad
This is it?All the times I've heard about this chick and this is it?It's childlike and ridiculous.
Phor phuck sake, this phoray is phantastic--phar phrom phair.
She has an ear for melody and a great voice - I have my preferences, but I think all her stuff is good.
Lonestar wrote:
You know your scrounging for material when you have to rip from nursery rhymes every second verse.
lol.. that too.. i thought that was a bit cheesy
vvlee wrote:
Alrighty then, i hope it's working for her. If it gets a new generation of fans looking into her older stuff, that wouldn't be such a bad thing either. But I'll still take anything from Exile or WCSE anyday over the new stuff.
Yip, I liked "Supernova" from Whip-Smart. Now that's great 90s grrrl rock.
Very catchy .. very commercial radio friendly.. i mean it's good music to listen to while working..
You know your scrounging for material when you have to rip from nursery rhymes every second verse.
Thea wrote:
she's been pretty honest about the fact that she's gotta make a living, she's a working mom, and this is what sells.
Alrighty then, i hope it's working for her. If it gets a new generation of fans looking into her older stuff, that wouldn't be such a bad thing either. But I'll still take anything from Exile or WCSE anyday over the new stuff.
Pipes wrote:
It's all about SEX! Men like slutty women. Not to take home, just for the ride.
the corpse metaphor makes it even weirder.
There once was a young man named Dave . . . . . . . .
I don't care how twisted it is - I think it's poor - Liz got bought.
earthbased wrote:
Too bad she can't sing in tune live.
She's always said she has horrible stage fright. You try singing in tune 100% of the time when you're scared to death.
I'm not sure exactly what Liz is up to with her latest cheesy-pop stuff but given these earlier gems
she's been pretty honest about the fact that she's gotta make a living, she's a working mom, and this is what sells.
Rock on liz :bananajam:
put her on the bus already.
Waybo wrote:
Love early Liz Phair. This album was pretty good. Her latest pop stuff sucks. Exile in Guyville was one of my favorite albums of all time.
Ditto, except that "Exile" *is* my favorite album of all time.
... ... Yum, but totally addictive! More Liz! ...
Another Chicagoan who has seen Liz live. She's the real deal, send Alanis and Jewel and all the pretenders back to the used bin.
jpbergjr wrote:
Right on, I'm from Chicago and one night Liz was taking the cover charge at the door at Schuba's and was just hanging and having a good time. The Chicago music scene has always been misunderstood and under appriciated. Maybe many find Natalie great, but I find her voice to be grating and her music and lyrics boring. Liz may not have a velvet voice, but she takes you on with her music with no holds barred.
Too bad she can't sing in tune live.
what the hell i will give her a ride
Love early Liz Phair. This album was pretty good. Her latest pop stuff sucks. Exile in Guyville was one of my favorite albums of all time.
dwhayslett wrote:
But do women like slutty men? :ask:
Apparently Hillary does!
artmarcia wrote:
I find this song to be really CREEPY!
macabre, actually
Pipes wrote:
It's all about SEX! Men like slutty women. Not to take home, just for the ride.
But do women like slutty men? :ask:
This and Exile in Guyville are both on my short list of albums that I never tire of listening to all the way through. I'm not sure exactly what Liz is up to with her latest cheesy-pop stuff but given these earlier gems, I have no problem hanging in there with her to see whatever comes next.
Yay Liz! a fine song off a fine album. However, it would be great to get a few songs off of "Exile in Guyville" (eg Mesmerizing, Divorce Song, Never Said) on RP...
Liz... "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"... Big & Rich
daveesh wrote:
never understood the appeal...
It's all about SEX! Men like slutty women. Not to take home, just for the ride.
never understood the appeal...
This album was one of the best of 1998 and listened to with the volume CRANKED. This track is as brilliant as all of the others on this CD. :dance:
Yikes, all this negativity! Liz Phair is incredible. Well, up to and including this album at any rate.
Uh, no comment.
Do da dee do doh dee SUCK! 2!!!
good song...much better album
Hey Beevis.. this really sucks..
.......................oooohiparticularlylikethealbumtitleshetalksfunny..........................
I thought she was saying "I get a rise".
what's the big deal? it just sounds like pop to me...not bad but not very good either. :yawn: i've heard some of her past work that sounds better than this one...don't remember any titles.
I like some of Liz Phairs songs, but this one is awful..The lyrics just reek reek reek. :puke:
8)
I don't care too much for the latest Liz Phair fare, but I thought Exile in Guyville was a phenomenal album. Spare sound (thanks, Brad Wood) and provocative lyrics. She put her own exclamation point on the Chicago sound of that era. So, even though I am less enamored with her latest, I have to say that this artist is willing to take risks, and to follow wherever her creative instincts may lead her. That, alone, makes her stuff worthy of a listen. She is a storyteller, a la Dylan. Play more (but try to focus on the early stuff)
I find this song to be really CREEPY!