[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Queen — I Want To Break Free
Album: The Works
Avg rating:
7.4

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1271









Released: 1984
Length: 4:14
Plays (last 30 days): 2
I want to break free
I want to break free
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self-satisfied I don't need you
I've got to break free
God knows, God knows I want to break free

I've fallen in love
I've fallen in love for the first time
And this time I know it's for real
I've fallen in love, yeah
God knows, God knows I've fallen in love

It's strange but it's true
I can't get over the way you love me like you do
But I have to be sure
When I walk out that door
Oh how I want to be free, baby
Oh how I want to be free
Oh how I want to break free

But life still goes on
I can't get used to, living without, living without
Living without you by my side
I don't want to live alone, hey
God knows, got to make it on my own
So baby can't you see
I've got to break free

I've got to break free
I want to break free, yeah
I want, I want, I want, I want to break free
Comments (69)add comment
 skuzzfud wrote:
Never really liked Queen. Every song seemed like a novelty tune. Clever musos, great artistry, but churned out novelty tunes one after another. Didn't mind "Under Pressure", thanks to Bowie's contribution. This one is cheese on toast.
 
70s Queen was very different to 80s Queen. I prefer the former. 
There is just not much here to like, it just doesn't compare to so much other great Queen compositions.  Other than the video, which  still cracks me up.
 xkolibuul wrote:

That was the 80s right there.  Musical computer gizmos arrived and everyone temporarily lost it.  Except REM and U2, bless their Luddite hearts.
 
But then some people really broke ground with those gizmos... Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel come to mind. (but I agree that pop music was awash with horrible synthing in the 80s). 
Never really liked Queen. Every song seemed like a novelty tune. Clever musos, great artistry, but churned out novelty tunes one after another. Didn't mind "Under Pressure", thanks to Bowie's contribution. This one is cheese on toast.
 jkamm14 wrote:
"Hey, so we have one of the best rock guitarists in the history of mankind ... how about a cheesy synth solo?" I want to know who signed off on that!
 
That was the 80s right there.  Musical computer gizmos arrived and everyone temporarily lost it.  Except REM and U2, bless their Luddite hearts.
This falls into the “Just because _________ wrote this doesn’t mean it’s good” song. The blank is filled in with an otherwise talented band.
Where's the vacuum cleaner when you need it!? 
 phicaloma wrote:
Can't help playing the video in my head when I hear this song.
 

One of the greatest/funniest videos ever made!
Can't help playing the video in my head when I hear this song.
 ChrisinIndy wrote:
This song makes me want to don a cheap dress and get out the Hoover.
 
Excellent
"Hey, so we have one of the best rock guitarists in the history of mankind ... how about a cheesy synth solo?" I want to know who signed off on that!
I've never heard this...RP continues to amaze.
Genius.
impeccable
true musical gods
Always makes me smile. Maybe it's just the memory of that video?!
Bohemian Rhapsody trailer


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5qOxttDkw
 VH1 wrote:

Yeah the Americans and their bigotry. Shitting their pants because of a transgender video, but have the highest level of porn consumation in the entire world. What hypocrits!

But more annoying than this is that cringeworthy BS when the get caught and they give  this creepy "I want to become a better person", bs speech, geez this is soo hypocritical! {#Iamwithstupid}

 

Porn consumption or "porn consumation"? (and is that redundant?)
Second quite listenable Queen song you've played this week (Not a fan).
The Queen: the only band that forces me to shut down Radio Paradise, wait for 10 minutes (just to be extra-sure), and come back!
 Dave_Mack wrote:
Bleah. Cheesolicous synth solo, yawny lyrics and dull chords. Queen used to put a note on their albums that no synthesizers were used. Too bad they didn't leave it that way. 
 
You're right. To bring in a vacuum cleaner was a much better idea than that cheesy synth. 
I agree. And I'm an American. I feel more than many the up-their-own-ass ways of my own fellow citizens. But you generalize. "The Americans and their bigotry." How about a bit less condemning?  "Many Americans and their bigotry." 
To put a finer point on your critique, Utah is a state with a high population of Mormons. I understand Utah has a high divorce rate AND a high porno consumption rate. Somehow that doesn't square with a pursuit of transcendence. 
Similarly, I would bet ANY AMOUNT that family members of some of the most anti-abortion mad hatters in this nation have paid visits to get their wombs vacuumed, and will secretly retain the need and privilege of "family reproductive planning" for themselves even as their boorish domineering patriarchs take away that option for everyone else. Until we elect progressives who will restore it once again. 

Similarly, the chunkheads who bitch about "free markets" and "socialist subsidies" have just figured out less visible and more effective means to get cash from the government, i.e., socialism, and do it under false pretenses, i.e. lying, cheating, stealing and buying politicians. 

So your point is well taken. But many Americans are on to the game, so all of us neither fit nor deserve the generalization and being lumped in with cheating corporate game-rigging lying porno food, tv and dope addicts. While they tout themselves as "exceptional." I know, I cringe too.

Mini rant concluded. 
We now return to our regularly scheduled musical interlude...
VH1 wrote:

Yeah the Americans and their bigotry. Shitting their pants because of a transgender video, but have the highest level of porn consumation in the entire world. What hypocrits!

But more annoying than this is that cringeworthy BS when the get caught and they give  this creepy "I want to become a better person", bs speech, geez this is soo hypocritical! {#Iamwithstupid}

 {#Lol}ChrisinIndy wrote:
This song makes me want to don a cheap dress and get out the Hoover.
 


James Moriarity (sp) and Sherlock!!!
 VH1 wrote:

Yeah the Americans and their bigotry. Shitting their pants because of a transgender video, but have the highest level of porn consumation in the entire world. What hypocrits!

But more annoying than this is that cringeworthy BS when the get caught and they give  this creepy "I want to become a better person", bs speech, geez this is soo hypocritical! {#Iamwithstupid}

 
So true. Excactly why I came to comment. A great band and a truly great, innovative singer were just derailed then. For the worst of reasons.
Tux (The Netherlands) wrote:
I'm generally a big fan of Queen, but this is one of the worst songs they ever made.

heeb
(Haarlem, The Netherlands) wrote:
Totally agree. Get rid of this plz.

justin4kick
(The Netherlands) wrote:
That synthesizer solo is just plain awful.
 
Seems like this song isn't that popular in the Netherlands…
 Kaw wrote:
Fun fact: because of the transgender video the USA was shocked and after that Queen was never able to get ground on the American continent.

 
Yeah the Americans and their bigotry. Shitting their pants because of a transgender video, but have the highest level of porn consumation in the entire world. What hypocrits!

But more annoying than this is that cringeworthy BS when the get caught and they give  this creepy "I want to become a better person", bs speech, geez this is soo hypocritical! {#Iamwithstupid}
Fun fact: because of the transgender video the USA was shocked and after that Queen was never able to get ground on the American continent.
I'm gonna give it a 10 because the vocal is amazing, the video was groundbreaking, and I've had days where I just needed to shout out, "I've got to break free!" Haters gonna hate.
That synthesizer solo is just plain awful.
Great band, shame about the song.
"Last play: Mar 3, 2005"

wow...
 
 MsJudi wrote:
The video ({#Arrowd}) was the best thing about this song. {#Lol}

Iconic Queen

 

I thought the video was hilarious, I can't believe MTV banned it.  Lame.
The video ({#Arrowd}) was the best thing about this song. {#Lol}

Iconic Queen
lotus_65 wrote:
That doesn't make this (musically) a good song. I can think of at least a 20 great Queen songs I'd rather hear.
Reread my post..... I was talking about the album "Innuendo".... this song was not on that CD.
Danny_G wrote:
:beat:
:moon: :butt: I like Queen, but this sucks, sorry...
heeb wrote:
Totally agree. Get rid of this plz.
I add to that...This song and we are the champions...aaaarrrgggg
ummm.... I need a soft drink. it's amazing how many songs are ruined by Madison Avenue.
Tux wrote:
I'm generally a big fan of Queen, but this is one of the worst songs they ever made.
Totally agree. Get rid of this plz.
There are better Queen songs, Bill :(
I'm generally a big fan of Queen, but this is one of the worst songs they ever made.
RichardPrins wrote:
:p
:beat:
:p
Woha! This song following Solomon Burke's None Of Us Are Free surely means that either you or the universe are displaying your sense of humor... I do hope it is you! :wink:
Mark1970 wrote:
Have to disagree with you..... I love the older material, too, but "Innuendo" was brilliant. Add to it that Freddie was practically on his death bed and still managed to belt out some of his strongest vocals ever....... quite an accomplishment.
That doesn't make this (musically) a good song. I can think of at least a 20 great Queen songs I'd rather hear.
KevinM wrote:
This is pretty bad. I liked Queen up until "The Game" - They pretty much sucked from then on.
Have to disagree with you..... I love the older material, too, but "Innuendo" was brilliant. Add to it that Freddie was practically on his death bed and still managed to belt out some of his strongest vocals ever....... quite an accomplishment.
This is pretty bad. I liked Queen up until "The Game" - They pretty much sucked from then on.
Good tune, but Queen has so many great tunes. Why only play the one that is getting publicized recently in a commercial? Let's hear more!
ack...no thanks.
Bleah. Cheesolicous synth solo, yawny lyrics and dull chords. Queen used to put a note on their albums that no synthesizers were used. Too bad they didn\'t leave it that way. (BTW, I think Queen is fantastic. This song isn\'t.)
Rockin\'! Talk about eclectic. Thanks, RP!
Originally Posted by gypsy222: This sounds like Wham! to me. :eek:
If anything Ms/Mr Gypsy ... Wham *aka george micheal* would be a copy of Queen.... if you've even come close to watching Wayne's World (the movie, the music video spawned from it for Bohemian Rhapsody .. the shaking heads to the beat of the interludes)... you'd have realized that or if you'd dug a little you'd have found queen goes back to nearly before George was a twinkle in his daddy's eye. ... ok... maybe not that far since G was probably about 7 or 8 when queen really formed (appears to ahve been in 1970) but certainly George was no where near wham stage when Queen started their climb.. Now to address this song.... yeah... its a little wimpy compared to some of the other stuff that Queen did.. but because I think Freddie Mercury was a great singer, songwriter, and performer (straight or gay)... I give him and Queen a good deal of latitude... from the same crew that gave us Another One Bites the Dust, to Radio Gaga, to The Show Must Go On.. to Fat Bottomed Girls.. this group put out some of the most unique and widely recognized music.. and with the loss of Freddie, another loss for human kind.
Doesn\'t do anything for me. There first 2 alblums are the only good ones IMO :roll:
If George Michael and Freddie Mercury mated, their son would be Morissey. Dot
Well, *I* like it. So there. Nothing wrong with a little Queen, Bill.
This sounds like Wham! to me. :eek:
Sheer heart attack. That would be accurate. Dot
They like Queen in Switzerland. There\'s a bronze statue of Freddie Mercury on the lakeshore in Montreaux. As you sti and enjoy the lake, you will see dozens of people having their picture taken next to the statue. Some leave flowers.
I\'ve known someone who was hardly interested in- or didn\'t have a love for any other music but Queen\'s! It kinda bothered him but there was no cure I\'m afraid.
Nothing to be ashamed of, Bill - Queen are fab. Freddie was the true Queen of England...
I am having a flashback to my college years when I would have stereo wars with my a**hole dorm neighbor. \"Princes of the Universe\" would always triumph over \"The Humpty Hump\".
This song makes me want to don a cheap dress and get out the Hoover.
oh boy....I don\'t think I will ever get this video out of my memory. What a riot!
Urgh, those synths are killing me ...
My wife can\'t stand Queen for the most part, but I like \'em. They are a rock and roll band...
Go ahead Bill, indulge in your Queen obsession (was that the word you used?). More Queen is always a good thing. :)