[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Incubus — Drive
Album: Make Yourself
Avg rating:
6.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 396









Released: 1999
Length: 3:49
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear
And I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear
Take the wheel and steer

It's driven me before and seems to have a vague
Haunting mass appeal
But lately I'm beginning to find that I
Should be the one behind the wheel

Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there with open arms and open eyes, yeah
Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there, I'll be there

So, if I decide to waiver my chance
To be one of the hive
Will I choose water over wine
And hold my own and drive?
Aah ah ooo

It's driven me before and it seems to be the way
That everyone else gets around
But lately I'm beginning to find that when
I drive myself my light is found

Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there with open arms and open eyes, yeah
Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there, I'll be there

Would you choose water over wine?
Hold the wheel and drive

Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there with open arms and open eyes yea
Whatever tomorrow brings
I'll be there, I'll be there

Dododooo dododo dododododo...
Comments (55)add comment
 dwhayslett wrote:
You know how you can tell you're wrong about that?  Because the folks who decide what has a place on RP just played it.
 
{#Clap}
hold the wheel and drive, ditch the smartphones
Good stuff.  It doesn't matter where stuff gets played.  Like it or don't.  Who else likes it and plays it should really be irrelevant to anyone sensible.
 triskele wrote:
This is one of my niece's favorite bands...this song is just...pertinent to me at the moment.  Had my boobs removed about 36 hours ago to try to save my own life (neoadjuvant chemo first, more chemo when I have recovered from surgery)....but i plan to be here with open arms and open eyes....

 
Always keep on going...Good times and bad times
 rlr511 wrote:
this band and this song have no place on RP.
 
You know how you can tell you're wrong about that?  Because the folks who decide what has a place on RP just played it.
Good song, good band.  Hey commercial radio, squirrels, nuts and what not.
This is one of my niece's favorite bands...this song is just...pertinent to me at the moment.  Had my boobs removed about 36 hours ago to try to save my own life (neoadjuvant chemo first, more chemo when I have recovered from surgery)....but i plan to be here with open arms and open eyes....
I don't drive much anymore. 1359 miles were put on my truck last year. 
My motorcycles on the other hand ... 25,000 or so. {#Motor}
Incubus rocks! I'd listen to just about any of their songs and they bring diversity to the station. Nice job spinning an eclectic mix for us RP!
Incubus deserve airplay on Radio Paradise as they are a great band with unusual songs. This particular song is more mainstream but it is still not "pop". More Incubus please I say!
 rlr511 wrote:
this band and this song have no place on RP.  put them back on the pop station

 
I had this same thought when RP played a Madonna song (Like a freakin' Prayer!!!) a few years back.  Talk about pushing the eclectic envelope right to the edge of sanity  {#Frustrated}

Life's Been Good To Me is a pop tune from the 70s that receives fairly regular play on RP (to the delight of many listeners apparently, with a 7+ rating).  When I hear Joe Walsh howl, "My Maserati does one-eighty-five," my head aches.
{#Beat}  

On the other hand, Stairway to Heaven is a pop tune from the 70s that I wouldn't mind hearing every once in a while but apparently Bill and/or Rebecca dislike it (it has received zero play on RP over the past decade).  That'll Be The Day is a pop tune from the 50s that receives play on RP (with a Most Excellent rating on average by RP listeners).  So a wide range of musical styles are represented on RP playlist including the best (and in my humble opinion a few of the not-so-good) pop tunes from the past three quarters of a century, and I think that's awesome.

I see your point that Drive is a pop tune.  It's received a lot of mainstream air play.  I happen to like it a lot and it seems to fit in with the other music played here.  If I can't tolerate a pop song I hit the PSD button and mutter, "ugh, pop tune," but truth be told it's not that it's a pop tune that bothers me, rather it's that I never liked the song very much to begin with.
 renegade_X wrote:
AMAZING SONG! Check out me playing/ singing it on YouTube. :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlPvFgnZP4&feature=plcp
 
Not bad dude. The high notes are pretty tough in the chorus.
 scrubbrush wrote:
Sorry but you are wrong, Incubus are not Pop athough this particular song is more easy listening than their usual fare.

wrong.

eclectic.

period.

 


 rlr511 wrote:
this band and this song have no place on RP.  put them back on the pop station

 

wrong.

eclectic.

period.
love it love it love it :-)
I love this song. Richly textured, high production values. Don't want to hear it every day, but Bill seems to have a knack for timing.
Incubus? The awesomeness of RP continues to astound.
 rlr511 wrote:
this band and this song have no place on RP.  put them back on the pop station

 
Er, I didn't know that this was your radio station. The way you're talking, I guess you must have taken over RP from Bill & Becky, as otherwise you'd have seriously misunderstood the nature and purpose of this station. I suggest that you read the fine home page...
 rlr511 wrote:
this band and this song have no place on RP.  put them back on the pop station
 
I can't speak to the rest of their catalog, but I still thoroughly enjoy this whole album, while a lot of the other tunes I was listening to at the turn of the millennia have not held up for me at all.  

I wonder if they still have a turntablist in their band.  Do any pop acts still do that?
this band and this song have no place on RP.  put them back on the pop station
I heard about 60 seconds of this. It sounds like a clone of the Red Hot Chillie Poopers. 
I have to disagree with the haters and say I like this...I bet they're big fans of Pearl Jam.
Ditto.  This takes me back to the days when I would have "mainstream corporate rock radio" turned on.

Marley wrote:
A little surprised to hear this, because avoiding songs like this is precisely why I listen to RP and not mainstream corporate rock radio. At least it's a short song.....now play something good, please!
 


AMAZING SONG! Check out me playing/ singing it on YouTube. :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlPvFgnZP4&feature=plcp
This IS a great song.  Unfortunately, I have the album, and the rest is suck -ubus.  Pretty bad.
Great stuff.... brings back many memories from 2000/2001.
 Alexandra wrote:
I really like this song, musically and lyrically—regardless of its mainstream popularity—-and am glad to hear it on RP. {#Clap}
 
i feel similarly about this song.

yet so awesome live!

 
xs9095 wrote:
corporate garbage  {#Puke}
 


A little surprised to hear this, because avoiding songs like this is precisely why I listen to RP and not mainstream corporate rock radio. At least it's a short song.....now play something good, please!
I really like this song, musically and lyrically—regardless of its mainstream popularity—-and am glad to hear it on RP. {#Clap}
corporate garbage  {#Puke}
Phiagirl - you make me laugh; I agree with you.
I know, I know, it's been played to death on mainstream radio. But see, I don't listen to that, so I still like this song! It's a really well-crafted pop tune, not the kind of thing I usually like, but there's no accounting for personal taste is there?  
I seem to recall that the best thing about this video was the hot lead singer with his shirt off.
I saw them live a few months back and was wholly unimpressed. I will concede, however, that this concert took place at the Waikiki Shell, a venue that would make a Beatles reunion unappealing. What i'm trying to say is that the Shell is a terrible place to watch a show.

zaknafein wrote:
Thank you! Too many people assume that just because radio picks up a song, it is therefore a bad song/group. Not true. Incubus is amazingly talented. You really have to see them live to appreciate it.
 

boooooooooooooooooooooooooring.
Wow, very surprised to hear this on RP.  We play a number of songs from their early albums before they became 'accepted'.  Definitely the most radio friendly of their tunes.
 ziggytrix wrote:
this is an excellent pop song.
 
Used to play this with my buddy Kim, her singing lead and me strumming and harmonizing. She moved away and I haven't played much since. Miss those days.


this is an excellent pop song.
Incubus is a newer band that can rocck hard but still understands what music and melody is. The singer sings instead of most new bands, where the singer feels obligated to, at least once or twice during the song, yell so loud that you think his tonsels are going to fly out of his throat. I really liked the video they did with the flying Hitler and Jesus. That was the best video I had seen in quite some time, followed by the great Franz Ferdinand video with the old school boxers punching each other. Loved both of them.
phiagurl wrote:
Oh, I love this song. It's breathtaking. The monotonous instrumentals set the humble, oh-nothing-special's-here mood down so well. Then the melody doesn't sound very interesting either. But don't let that fool you! I love how the pompous, whiny vocals contrast with all that. And the words, though they sound pretentious to the unexperienced lyrical ear, are actually bits of genius. It's a very creative, experimental piece masquerading as boring commercial rock in an effort to be ironic. Really. It is. (Generally I'm not so negative, but I really really don't like this song. So I'll switch to my MP3s for now. ;))
word.
Blech! Boring and mainstream.
cassano18 wrote:
second that
and third it. A complete way-too-cool-for-school vibe. Faux earnestness.
Incubus is great!
college rock...
I admit, I'm a little surprised to hear this song on RP, but what the hell, variety means just that--playing all sorts of music. And for the record, I like this one too.
mrrmaid1 wrote:
Ew, this a reason I no longer listen to the local alternative rock stations. I feel betrayed hearing it here! EW EW EW! :frustrated:
second that
I heard this song on the radio before I was familiar with Incubus, and thought it sounded like Stone Temple Pilots. Drive is a radio friendly hit, not Incubus's most intricate or experimental, but certainly from a band much more eclectic and a lot less monotonously tiring than STP! If you like Rage Against the Machine, check out Incubus's S.C.I.E.N.C.E. album.
originally posted by phiagurl: the monotonous instrumentals set the humble, oh-nothing-special's-here mood down so well. then the melody doesn't sound very interesting either. and the words, though they sound pretentious to the unexperienced lyrical ear, are actually bits of genius.
i find your lack of interest in this song very strange based on your past rating history. i believe there is something more about this group that you (and your peers) disagree with, not so much the song itself. the tell it like it is, in your face attitude for example. turn it up and let your hair down for a change. :evil:
Oh, I love this song. It's breathtaking. The monotonous instrumentals set the humble, oh-nothing-special's-here mood down so well. Then the melody doesn't sound very interesting either. But don't let that fool you! I love how the pompous, whiny vocals contrast with all that. And the words, though they sound pretentious to the unexperienced lyrical ear, are actually bits of genius. It's a very creative, experimental piece masquerading as boring commercial rock in an effort to be ironic. Really. It is. (Generally I'm not so negative, but I really really don't like this song. So I'll switch to my MP3s for now. ;))
originally posted by mrrmaid1: ew, this a reason i no longer listen to the local alternative rock stations. i feel betrayed hearing it here! ew ew ew! :frustrated:
except this is the good stuff that the radio stations are not playing enough of- thank you for steping up and playing new music :clap: :notworthy:
Ew, this a reason I no longer listen to the local alternative rock stations. I feel betrayed hearing it here! EW EW EW! :frustrated:
Terrestrial radio is not the only one guilty of over-play of this song. This song has been played here waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times as well. Which really sucks. I used to like this song a lot.
Originally Posted by Cy: I always liked this one. Good lyrics and melody. Yeah, it was overplayed on commercial radio, but that doesn't mean it's a bad song.
Thank you! Too many people assume that just because radio picks up a song, it is therefore a bad song/group. Not true. Incubus is amazingly talented. You really have to see them live to appreciate it.
I always liked this one. Good lyrics and melody. Yeah, it was overplayed on commercial radio, but that doesn't mean it's a bad song.