[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Cake — Mexico
Album: Prolonging the Magic
Avg rating:
6.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1202









Released: 1998
Length: 3:21
Plays (last 30 days): 1
I had a match, but she had a lighter
I had a flame, but she had a fire
I was bright, but she was much brighter
I was high, but she was the sky

Oh baby, I was bound from mexico
Oh baby, I was bound to let you go
ahh ahh ha

I don't know much about cinco de mayo
I'm never sure what it's all about
but I say I want you and you don't believe me
you say you want me but i've got my doubts

Oh baby, I was bound from Mexico
Oh baby, I was bound to let you go

I had a match, but she had a lighter
I had a flame, but she had a fire
I was bright, but she was much brighter
I was high, but she was the sky

Oh baby, I was bound from Mexico
Oh baby, I was bound to let you go
Comments (196)add comment
 kcar wrote:
Trump could build a wall around this and that would be a great thing. 
 

LOL.......Update: Lost election. Impeached twice. No chance for any wall. lol
 midreaming wrote:
maybe somebody needs a mid-reaming. Or should that be a mind-reaming?|
LMHO ho ho


Poacher wrote:I had a match, but she had a lighter
I had a flame, but she had a fire
I was bright, but she was much brighter
I was high, but she was the sky

Who needs Dylan. . .

i do. and for exactly that reason and people like you. this band could be summed up in a single derisive word but let me use several: pompous up tight frat-boys with nothing but straight angles, no curves no depth (as in shallow - i was bright she was "much brighter"? ..lol) and no soul. thank the god(dess) and angels in heaven for Zimmy.



 

 midreaming wrote:
sounds like someone needs a mid-reaming, or is that a mind-reaming?




 

 tonyjory wrote:
Heartily agreed!
Tony Jory
London and Somerset, England

 

 lizardking wrote:

kudos to you, h8rhater....you continually bring a smile to my face with your witty remarks aimed at the witless haters.  It's all good to not like something (which in the 21st century western world = HATE) and it's even ok to say "I don't like this" in a song comment forum.  Heck, someone can even go as far as giving reasons, etc., about why they don't like it and/or what they prefer to hear.  Where I draw the line is the incessant need some folks have to "HATE" music, degrade the "LOVERs" of the music and provide absolutely NO REASON or ALTERNATIVE of what they "DON'T HATE." 

Long Live RP and PEACE UPON US ALL!


 

I feel sad for those who do not like CAKE. What's not to love about low key delivery of off hand lyrics with touch of sarcasm and satire. Add in the horn to those great riffs and that ratchety thing, and you got yourself a one of a kind sound. 
Sorry Bill, but I get that you like this band. In my life they aren't good at all.
Every single song sounds the same. 
Yuk, yuk. I'm going to go conjure up a fart! Thanks h8rhater. I'm off to look for opportunities to use this gem.

Fun tune, BTW
Cake should be eaten, and not heard. Still.
{#No}
 h8rhater wrote:

Wow.  Just...wow.  Why are there people that are like this?

The OP liked the song and the band, which has clearly had a positive effect on them and their life, so you decided to "ream" them out.  And in the most pretentious way possible. I have conjured up a fart in your name.. (lol).

 
kudos to you, h8rhater....you continually bring a smile to my face with your witty remarks aimed at the witless haters.  It's all good to not like something (which in the 21st century western world = HATE) and it's even ok to say "I don't like this" in a song comment forum.  Heck, someone can even go as far as giving reasons, etc., about why they don't like it and/or what they prefer to hear.  Where I draw the line is the incessant need some folks have to "HATE" music, degrade the "LOVERs" of the music and provide absolutely NO REASON or ALTERNATIVE of what they "DON'T HATE." 

Long Live RP and PEACE UPON US ALL!


 AhhtheMusic wrote:

I love me CAKE and usually before, or after, or without SPOON.  However CAKE and SPOON are a perfect mix.  Please Bill, play these two bands back to back some time as a favor to me, signed, your loyal listener.  {#Crown}

 
Hahahaha Those are some Hot thoughts !
 unclehud wrote:
Love me some Cake!! 
 
I love me CAKE and usually before, or after, or without SPOON.  However CAKE and SPOON are a perfect mix.  Please Bill, play these two bands back to back some time as a favor to me, signed, your loyal listener.  {#Crown}
 midreaming wrote:

poetry?  . . (lol), only in an aesthetic wasteland, where the air is so stale you'd rather breathe anything else;  spending your days and nights conjuring a fart because that would be more interesting than anything within 100 mile radius. everything in that radius, including this so called poetry, is flat, dimwitted or soul-less. . . i was bright, she was much brighter? wow. that has a depth equivalent to "i was dumb but he was much dumber-er".

 
You don't like it when people like things, do you?
 midreaming wrote:

poetry?  . . (lol), only in an aesthetic wasteland, where the air is so stale you'd rather breathe anything else;  spending your days and nights conjuring a fart because that would be more interesting than anything within 100 mile radius. everything in that radius, including this so called poetry, is flat, dimwitted or soul-less. . . i was bright, she was much brighter? wow. that has a depth equivalent to "i was dumb but he was much dumber-er".

 
Comment of the year right there.  And I intend to plagiarize it until my personal end times.
Yawn
 
 h8rhater wrote:

Wow.  Just...wow.  Why are there people that are like this?
 
you're not different, at all. you're just not as creative in the way you express yourself.
Well, now I know what my least favorite Cake song is.  3/4 time so rarely works in rock, though admittedly it's pretty great to dance to.
Trump could build a wall around this and that would be a great thing. 
 midreaming wrote:

poetry?  . . (lol), only in an aesthetic wasteland, where the air is so stale you'd rather breathe anything else;  spending your days and nights conjuring a fart because that would be more interesting than anything within 100 mile radius. everything in that radius, including this so called poetry, is flat, dimwitted or soul-less. . . i was bright, she was much brighter? wow. that has a depth equivalent to "i was dumb but he was much dumber-er".

 
Wow.  Just...wow.  Why are there people that are like this?

The OP liked the song and the band, which has clearly had a positive effect on them and their life, so you decided to "ream" them out.  And in the most pretentious way possible. I have conjured up a fart in your name.. (lol).


 unclehud wrote:
Love me some Cake!!  Despite the fact that some folks erroneously categorize them as "pompous up tight frat-boys with nothing but straight angles, no curves no depth (as in shallow - i was bright she was "much brighter"? ..lol) and no soul."

Guess some people haven't spent much time browsing the Cake catalog: there's PLENTY of curves, depth, wit, charm, angst, and soul.  It's as crazy to compare them to Dylan, as it is crazy to compare them to Debussy.

And many times I've realized "I was bright and she was much brighter; I was high, but she was the sky."  It's poetry, dude. 

 
poetry?  . . (lol), only in an aesthetic wasteland, where the air is so stale you'd rather breathe anything else;  spending your days and nights conjuring a fart because that would be more interesting than anything within 100 mile radius. everything in that radius, including this so called poetry, is flat, dimwitted or soul-less. . . i was bright, she was much brighter? wow. that has a depth equivalent to "i was dumb but he was much dumber-er".
Nothing like stretching a simile, comparison or ? as far as you can........
How does this guy manage to get away with being called a singer? Nearly as unbareable as Billy Corgan.
Sorry but Bacon Cake not really my pleasure {#Lol}
All kids love Cake...even you...
I really like this song.
Allll right.  Oooh no.
Love me some CAKE!
Bonus Day - hit the PSD button and ended up here! Artfully crafted, this is.
Love me some Cake!!  Despite the fact that some folks erroneously categorize them as "pompous up tight frat-boys with nothing but straight angles, no curves no depth (as in shallow - i was bright she was "much brighter"? ..lol) and no soul."

Guess some people haven't spent much time browsing the Cake catalog: there's PLENTY of curves, depth, wit, charm, angst, and soul.  It's as crazy to compare them to Dylan, as it is crazy to compare them to Debussy.

And many times I've realized "I was bright and she was much brighter; I was high, but she was the sky."  It's poetry, dude. 
 Poacher wrote:
I had a match, but she had a lighter
I had a flame, but she had a fire
I was bright, but she was much brighter
I was high, but she was the sky

Who needs Dylan. . . 

   i do. and for exactly that reason and people like you. this band could be summed up in a single derisive word but let me use several: pompous up tight frat-boys with nothing but straight angles, no curves no depth (as in shallow - i was bright she was "much brighter"? ..lol) and no soul. thank the god(dess) and angels in heaven for Zimmy.




This could be my favorite Cake song; and that's saying a LOT, 'cause I LOVE this band.
 window wrote:
Starts off weak, but gets better!
 
The first part is correct.
Starts off weak, but gets better!
I had a match, but she had a lighter
I had a flame, but she had a fire
I was bright, but she was much brighter
I was high, but she was the sky

Who needs Dylan. . . 
 jenakle wrote:
Am I the only one amused that there's a pig on the cover?

 

"Dude - we could totally eat that pig."  - Bill Clinton in Family Guy
Not much "Magic" at all here to "Prolong."
Oh dear, it's horizontal slide guitar time, and that means C and/or W. Cake have produced some rockin' numbers but this is snoresville, aural Valium, the quintessence of Ho-Hum {#Sleep}


 UltraNurd wrote:
I am quite certain Foghorn Leghorn wouldn't use the word "boi" :oD.

Mr. Leghorn uses the word "boy" a lot.  Is that the same thing?

Signed,
Old Southern Guy
To Scot, may your trip to Mexico today fix what's broke, my friend!
What a delightfully dumb band. Never liked them...never will. I now exercise my right to mute or remove my headphones for a few minutes. Yipppeeee!

Decemberistish....?


 jenakle wrote:
Am I the only one amused that there's a pig on the cover?

 
know what they call the device used to...ahem...."milk" a boar? Its called a prolong. Prolonging the magic. Get it?

Cake is a real hit and miss band with me, but this is probably my favorite from them.{#Cheers}
Released twelve years ago? That can't be right!
(Counts trials and tribulations, life passages and exes)
Damn!

Had this song stuck in my head for three days in anticipation of Cinco de Mayo, then Bill plays it five minutes after I leave for lunch.  Bah!  It's still stuck.

I love cake! {#Roflol}
I like wild bore more
Am I the only one amused that there's a pig on the cover?

peter_james_bond wrote:

Cake...Cracker...thanks a lot, now I'm hungry.

Now, is that a healthy balanced diet? Too much starch! {#Naughty}

{#Wink}
Thanks Bill...now all I need is a margarita...on the rocks with salt, please.
 RadioDoc wrote:
Cake?  Sounds more like Cracker.
 
Cake...Cracker...thanks a lot, now I'm hungry.
 RadioDoc wrote:
Cake?  Sounds more like Cracker.
 

This does sound a lot like Cracker. It's weird, because I like both bands, but don't really care for this song. Go figure.

Gawd, I love this band.
Cake?  Sounds more like Cracker.
I don't know much about Cinco De Mayo...I'm never sure what it's all about...
plaxico
{#Cowboy}
I'm down with DrGonzo on this one. Best Cake song I've ever heard.

definitely one of my favorite Cake songs {#Good-vibes}

Muy Excelente!


Cake will forever prolong the magic.
One of the many positives of RP is my introduction to Cake. I find them very enjoyable. I can now pick out a Cake song without glancing at the play list. Thanks!
Love Cake. Especially love this song.
lmic wrote:
I finally figured em out - serious poetry set to whimsical musical accompaniment. If you don't like poetry or whimsy, you probably won't like Cake.
I generally like Cake for the chocolate frosting. But that's just me.
Aw right,er, Imean aw no,er, um, Oh kay, em, aw screw it......
lmic wrote:
I finally figured em out - serious poetry set to whimsical musical accompaniment. If you don't like poetry or whimsy, you probably won't like Cake.
I agree that this is a big part of what Cake's about. And the lyrics definitely speak to me! But they reflect the male perspective typically with regard to relationships. So it makes sense that women who don't resonate with the vibe could well appreciate poetry and whimsy!
:chef:
lmic wrote:
I finally figured em out - serious poetry set to whimsical musical accompaniment. If you don't like poetry or whimsy, you probably won't like Cake.
rightyo - i'll agree with that and add that i love this band :good-vibes: great bass lines, nice trumpet, good stuff all around... earlier the better for the most part.
jerseygirl wrote:
god i hate this band. so grating on my nerves - can i say every song i have ever heard!! :taped-shut:
Did Tom Waits his song Jersey Girl about you?
timc wrote:
I wonder if John McCrea puts "aw yeah" and "aw no" randomly into conversations as well. :think:
And the occasional slide whistle and random trumpet. I would, if I were him. In fact, I think I'll start doing that anyway. Alllll right.
I wonder if John McCrea puts "aw yeah" and "aw no" randomly into conversations as well. :think:
This sucks.
Their guitar sound is instantly recognizable. I'd love to know how they accomplished that.
arserocket wrote:
Ye what, ye say what? Boi ah say, ah say what you say?
I am quite certain Foghorn Leghorn wouldn't use the word "boi" :oD.
Gracias muchachos son bien chingones
jerseygirl wrote:
god i hate this band. so grating on my nerves - can i say every song i have ever heard!! :taped-shut:
You're not alone. But I disagree. I love 'em.
jerseygirl wrote:
god i hate this band. so grating on my nerves - can i say every song i have ever heard!! :taped-shut:
Amen to that. One of the few bands on RP that can make me click the mute button.
god i hate this band. so grating on my nerves - can i say every song i have ever heard!! :taped-shut:
I finally figured em out - serious poetry set to whimsical musical accompaniment. If you don't like poetry or whimsy, you probably won't like Cake.
poprocker1 wrote:
all right. aw, no. ah, yeah.
Ye what, ye say what? Boi ah say, ah say what you say?
getting many cake cd's now.. addicted can't wait! :sunny:
Cake plays alt. country?! Why not? Sounds nice :daisy:
I love these guys...
Nice song. Love the layers. Pun intended.
flyboy wrote:
It's such a highly controlled laziness though.
...and speaks very well to the allure of siesta.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............
Shimmer wrote:
Love Cake, but the laziness of this song grates on me.
It's such a highly controlled laziness though.
I love Cake.
One of the great sing along bands ever! great road trip music.
all right. aw, no. ah, yeah.
OK, but Frank Sinatra is a great Cake song. I heard it at the end of a Sopranos episode.
supergroverx wrote:
Are the cake discs as a whole kinda spotty?
I'm a big fan. My son and I travelled several hundred miles to see them in concert. But, trying to be objective, I would say that, yes, if you are not taken by this song, you would likely find their albums 'spotty'. There are more songs than just the singles you would probably like as well, I think. However, there are many others you would likely respond to in much the same way you do to Mexico. Still, I do put their CDs on in my Car from time to time, and I really enjoy them.
Shimmer wrote:
Love Cake, but the laziness of this song grates on me.
I hear ya. Don't know these guys very well, but always loved the singles (neverthere, goingthedistance, sheepgotoheaven). Been excited to hear more cake on here, but this one's nothin' special. 6. Cute and clever, but ain't goin' nowhere. Are the cake discs as a whole kinda spotty?
helene wrote:
Oh, baby, I was bound to listen to every song Cake has to offer us. One of my very favorite bands. I love the lyrics, I love the sound, I love the trumpet, I love the singing... what don't I love about Cake? Well, maybe a couple of their songs I don't actually love. That's about the worst I can say.
:clap:
I rated this a 4? What was I thinking?!? Bumping it down to a 2.
Love Cake, but the laziness of this song grates on me.
Oh, baby, I was bound to listen to every song Cake has to offer us. One of my very favorite bands. I love the lyrics, I love the sound, I love the trumpet, I love the singing... what don't I love about Cake? Well, maybe a couple of their songs I don't actually love. That's about the worst I can say.
'I was high but she was the sky.' Great lyrics.
it just goes to show how much a period of one's life can influence the music you respond to: there's almost nothing i dislike about Cake
"I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo...I'm never sure what it's all about..." whee...thanks RP for playing this!
Happy to see how many listeners like Cake. Even if it seems most everybody has reservations about them but then admits to liking them anyway. I think they're great. Not a band to take particularly seriously but they consistent come up with really good songs, have a somewhat unique sound and are a really tight group of players. Plus you just gotta love their cover of "I Will Survive".
Govi wrote:
A dirge, yes? Are we mourning a failure of good taste?
Amen, brother. Our standards will continue to fall until the revolution comes.
zopatista wrote:
I had the same problem until I found I owned all their albums. It's a slippery slope! I can recommend all their albums, though Motorcade of Generosity is a bit rough around the edges in that it is missing the production polish of their other albums.
I saw a free concert they did at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco on DirecTV maybe 6 months to a year ago that was really great. I'd like to go see them in concert, looks like a good show.
DrGonzo wrote:
cake is grand... i just wish they would tour more.. never had the chance to check 'em out live. i hear they're great.
They're wonderful live. I wasn't a big fan at all (still not really...I enjoy them on occasion), but I saw them do a free concert at City Hall Plaza and they were great, especially the trumpet player!
flyfree wrote:
I need to give Cake a reconsideration. I don't consider myself a fan, but everytime they come on RP, I enjoy them. I'm obviously in denial.
I had the same problem until I found I owned all their albums. It's a slippery slope! I can recommend all their albums, though Motorcade of Generosity is a bit rough around the edges in that it is missing the production polish of their other albums.
Mmmm, Cake.
cake is grand... i just wish they would tour more.. never had the chance to check 'em out live. i hear they're great.
:hungry: ... and eat it, too
flyfree wrote:
I need to give Cake a reconsideration. I don't consider myself a fan, but everytime they come on RP, I enjoy them. I'm obviously in denial.
I'll second this commment. (this song however, is probably one of my least favorites)
:dancingbanana_2:
While it's not Dylan, I think we can still assume that it's parody. TKTuttle wrote:
Sounds like the lead singer was schooled at the Bob Dylan Vocal Academy. :yawn:
aflanigan wrote:
Frankly, this strikes me as a very poor imitation of the Waterboys' "Whole of the Moon": compare "I had a match, but she had a lighter I had a flame, but she had a fire I was bright, but she was much brighter I was high, but she was the sky" with "I pictured a rainbow You held in your hands I had flashes But you saw then plan I wondered out in the world for years While you just stayed in your room I saw the crescent You saw the whole of the moon! The whole of the moon!"
They seem pretty different to me, but anyway it's just "Compare and contrast." The backbone of all literature.
Yeah CAKE. With a proper thank you to realplayer and it's ability to let me rewind to this song.
Sounds like the lead singer was schooled at the Bob Dylan Vocal Academy. :yawn:
I need to give Cake a reconsideration. I don't consider myself a fan, but everytime they come on RP, I enjoy them. I'm obviously in denial.
ScottN wrote:
This song rocks?
Hard core.
th3boon wrote:
yes, oh yes. this song rocks, ....
This song rocks?
Let them eat Cake! I'd rather have Beck.