[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Album: Release
Avg rating:
7.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1392









Released: 2000
Length: 4:07
Plays (last 30 days): 2
Don't argue amongst yourselves
Because of the loss of me
I'm sitting amongst yourselves
Don't think you can't see me
Don't argue amongst yourselves
Because of the loss of me
I haven't gone anywhere
But out of my body

Reach out and you'll touch me
Make effort to speak to me
Call out and you'll hear me
Be happy for me

Don't argue amongst yourselves
Because of the loss of me
I haven't gone anywhere
But out of my body

Reach out and you'll touch me
Make effort to speak to me
Call out and you'll hear me
Be happy for me

Reach out and you'll touch me
Make effort to speak to me
Call out and you'll hear me
Be happy for me
Comments (114)add comment
Love these guys. The whole thing works because so many cultures have similar instruments. You can find a flat head-only drum like the bodhran in several parts of Africa, Italy, Spain. Same for bagpipes. Same for harps.

There are spectacularly good concert videos of ACS that also have great sound quality, out on YouTube. Worth watching... 
 Stephen_Phillips wrote:
I have no idea why this works (African and Celtic merging) but somehow it does. Add into it Sinead O'Connor's vocals and it is better than the sum of its parts.  I think I might even give it a rare rating of 9 from me :)
 
I thought that was Sinead... powerhouse vocalist :)
Incongruent: African and Celtic, Jazz and Folk, Classical and Metal, by all means,
bring. it. on.!
Great voice. Too bad she's gone crazy.
re: the non-english lyrics, look what someone has added to the web!

Apologies for the formatting. Some goon thought Putting This In Title Case was a good idea, but they were wrong.
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/release-release.html-0#ixzz50WcHFoYo

English translation
Release
Don’t Think You Can’t See Me
Don’t Argue Amongst Yourselves
Because Of The Loss Of Me
I’m Sitting Amongst Yourselves
Don’t Think You Can’t See Me
Don’t Argue Amongst Yourselves
Because Of The Loss Of Me
I Haven’t Gone Anywhere
But Out Of My Body
Reach Out And You’ll Touch Me
Make Effort To Speak To Me
Call Out And You’ll Hear Me
Be Happy For Me
Ag Trasna An Linn/Going Across The Pool
Ag Feachaint Síos Tríd/Looking Down Through
Níl Aon Iarann I Mo Chroí Inniu/There's No Iron In My Heart Today
Ag Oscail An Síol/Opening The Seed
Ag Feitheamh An Scéal/Waiting For The Story
Níl Aon Airgead I Mo Phóca Innui/There Is No Money In My Pocket Today
I Mo Phóca Innui/In My Pocket Today
I Mo Phóca Innui/In My Pocket Today
Innui/Today
Don’t Argue Amongst Yourselves
Because Of The Loss Of Me
I Haven’t Gone Anywhere
But Out Of My Body
Reach Out And You’ll Touch Me
Make Effort To Speak To Me
Call Out And You’ll Hear Me
Be Happy For Me
I Mo Phóca Innui/In My Pocket Today
I Mo Phóca Innui/In My Pocket Today
Innui/Today
 

I have no idea why this works (African and Celtic merging) but somehow it does. Add into it Sinead O'Connor's vocals and it is better than the sum of its parts.  I think I might even give it a rare rating of 9 from me :)
 fredriley wrote:

Thanks for that - I had no idea this was the case. It does add another poignant dimension to the song, right enough.

 
Indeed. The loss of a loved band mate, or any loved one, causes much sadness. These lyrics help lift we living. Thank heaven for that. 
Their single best song. Love the build up.
One of AC's best tracks, where it all properly comes together, IMHO. And of course anything with SOC on is always a pleasure. She picks the BEST artists to collaborate with...
Sinead!
Ah, ACSS...sad subject matter of this particular song notwithstanding, they always make me want to spin around the room- in a  good way.
Yes,  Good groove goin on
Wicked Cool   louder makes it  10+
 Pyro wrote:
I love these guys but IMHO this isn't one of their best efforts.
 
I don't know if it's one of their best or not.  I just know I was listening just now on my smartphone and had to come log-onto my PC so I could change my rating of this song:  9 => 10  May not be their best, but I don't care, a 10 is a 10.
 Pyro wrote:
I love these guys but IMHO this isn't one of their best efforts.
 
I'm not sure I agree with you or not, but in any case, so what?
 ScottN wrote:
Sinead adds to this fine song.
 
Exactly! I was just noticing that when I saw your comment. Perfectly nuanced.

Just bumped up my rating. Really hits my mood today. 
Sinead adds to this fine song.
Where is Alan Stivell when we need him?
 icemang wrote:
Glad I clicked in to read the comments, I was guessing your woman might be Mary Black. I agree with someone down there that the male voice is oddly cheesy but I like the synthsized pipes near the end. Perhaps the "Eh, fook'n hell" thing isn't by accident? Who knows.
 

Are you sure the pipes are synthesized?

...this sounds quite nice flowing out of cosmic love...
Glad I clicked in to read the comments, I was guessing your woman might be Mary Black. I agree with someone down there that the male voice is oddly cheesy but I like the synthsized pipes near the end. Perhaps the "Eh, fook'n hell" thing isn't by accident? Who knows.
Nice!
 socalhol wrote:
Powerful song.  Maybe I still like it so much because I heard about the meaning behind the song when I first heard it.  It is a tribute to their band mate who died suddenly.  The lyrics are from his perspective, from beyond.  They were grieving at the time they wrote this song.
 
Thanks for that - I had no idea this was the case. It does add another poignant dimension to the song, right enough.

 fredriley wrote:

Yer man's singing in Irish Gaelic, but I can't find the Irish lyrics on a quick search. Oh, and yer woman's Sinead O'Connor. I've rated ACSS very highly as a fine 'world music' experiment kicked off by Peter Gabriel, and would love to see them live before they dissolve themselves as I believe they're intending to do this year. 9 from the Nottingham jury.

 
There's also some lyrics in Malinke.  Equally impossible to find.  {#Frown}
 socalhol wrote:
Powerful song.  Maybe I still like it so much because I heard about the meaning behind the song when I first heard it.  It is a tribute to their band mate who died suddenly.  The lyrics are from his perspective, from beyond.  They were grieving at the time they wrote this song.
 
But Sinead wrote the lyrics.  The band members were all too close to the situation to articulate it.

By the way, the bass on this song blew out the speakers in my car years ago.


Powerful song.  Maybe I still like it so much because I heard about the meaning behind the song when I first heard it.  It is a tribute to their band mate who died suddenly.  The lyrics are from his perspective, from beyond.  They were grieving at the time they wrote this song.
Peel of the layers of ethno and leave it as minimal electro with her voice and just might be ok... But as it is it's gruesome.
Great song. Love the lyrics. Are they up to anything these days?
Cool song with depth...liking it
Her voice has been, is and will always be sooooooo nice, personal and gorgeous!!! Thanks for choosing Sinead for this song. Pitty her last album did not maintain her high standards. 
 wferrier wrote:


I don't know why you say that. Why are you saying that? I like this band. Where is the monkey emoticon? Bill where is the monkey emoticon!?!

 

Look further down the comments and you'd understand.
 rez wrote:

Does anyone else always hear this as "Eh fook'n hell". Or am I the only one ?

 
LMAO.  I just read that line as it was being sung.  Now that it has been suggested, it will be the only thing I hear in this song...

 rez wrote:
Does anyone else always hear this as "Eh fook'n hell". Or am I the only one ?
 
Fook'n right y'are, lad! It's the Afro-Celt Sound System, not t'Afro-Yorkshire Sound System. 'Appen :o)

English lyrics on a fan website - scroll down to "Volume 2: Release".

wenatchee wrote:
In Full Kuh-no? Lyrics can't explain that . . . but I like it . . . I like it, I like it, it's good

Does anyone else always hear this as "Eh fook'n hell". Or am I the only one ?

So much yearning in this song.  I love it.


I love these guys but IMHO this isn't one of their best efforts.
 wenatchee wrote:
In Full Kuh-no? Lyrics can't explain that . . . but I like it . . . I like it, I like it, it's good
 
Yer man's singing in Irish Gaelic, but I can't find the Irish lyrics on a quick search. Oh, and yer woman's Sinead O'Connor. I've rated ACSS very highly as a fine 'world music' experiment kicked off by Peter Gabriel, and would love to see them live before they dissolve themselves as I believe they're intending to do this year. 9 from the Nottingham jury.

In Full Kuh-no? Lyrics can't explain that . . . but I like it . . . I like it, I like it, it's good
I like sinead , I like celtic, but this is reminding me of celtic thunder, which is for old people on public television. I guess RP just isn't doing it for me today.
I can't get past the Spandex Ballet vocal style of the male singer - sack him and the song could be a 6 or 7.
But for this song, how else would you know Sinead O. could still rock?
Mugro wrote:
We humans are such imperfect beings.
And isn't that wonderful, can you imagine what life would be like if we were perfect, :puke:
Mugro wrote:
We humans are such imperfect beings.
I don't know why you say that. Why are you saying that? I like this band. Where is the monkey emoticon? Bill where is the monkey emoticon!?!
Hmmm.. Don't know what to rate this song, maybe its better to get the whole album instead, since I seem to notice ALL the songs by Afro Celt Sound System played here anyway :)
Oy, my Celtic roots! Love it!
philbertr wrote:
It is beyond me how people who love music can be so petty and spiteful towards one another.
We humans are such imperfect beings.
philbertr wrote:
I can't understand all of the lyrics either, but one part is quite clear: Reach out to me, Make effort to speak to me, Be happy for me. That shouldn't be too terribyly difficult, and I think it would go a long way towards soothing much of the bitterness and anger demonstrated here. It is beyond me how people who love music can be so petty and spiteful towards one another.
Yes, well said! Music is a personal taste for people, it resonates in people's hearts. it's perfectly fine to say you don't like a song, but to harrass others on the site for their opinions is like cutting into someone's soul. Compassion and understanding could go a long way on this board.
First heard this one (edited down) on the Stigmata soundtrack. Anyone remember? Sit back, chill, open your mind, forget your disdain, and relax. ACSS is the soul of world eclectic, and should always have a pedestal on the internet's home for eclectic, RP. A moving track on a landmark album.
Shake to the left, then to the right, tap your toes, bob your head yeah it sounds that good!
great interesting stuff, more of this genre, less of david byrned!
I can't understand all of the lyrics either, but one part is quite clear: Reach out to me, Make effort to speak to me, Be happy for me. That shouldn't be too terribyly difficult, and I think it would go a long way towards soothing much of the bitterness and anger demonstrated here. It is beyond me how people who love music can be so petty and spiteful towards one another.
Near the top of list of songs in terms of number of repetitions. Also maddeningly tuneless. :crashcomp: That is, if the title goes with the song I was hearing. I have had a lot of problems lately in which the apparently most recent song at the top of the screen isn't the one I am hearing.
Ok, but not anywhere close to their best.
This is not most excellent but definitely most likable.
Platypus wrote:
nice... so you: 1) disagree with me on a song comment, then 2) you do a very selective browsing of my song ratings - looking for just the right band that you dislike but that i rated highly (meanwhile selectively ignoring the fact that there's quite a significant amount of artist and even song overlap between your own "highest rated" list and mine) - and then 3) you turn it into a personal attack on my taste. that's very adult of you, pal. i could easily make the exact same simpleton comment based on a search of your highest rated list... but i won't, because to do so would be moronic.
Don't feel bad. Personal attacks based on musical taste are all too common on the RP boards.
Awesome! great addition to the RP sound.
I'm with Froderik: the more I hear them, the more I want to have their albums. I'll buy the whole collection, too.
denizenusa wrote:
Tres cool.
At least to people given to saying things like 'tres cool'. ;-P
FreedomEngine wrote:
I love this song right up to the point where the guy starts singing. Something about men trying to vocalize on new age/ambient music that just never seems to work. I think the same thing anytime I hear Delirium.
Or Dead Can Dance. -mt-
Tres cool.
thewiseking wrote:
neither afro, nor celt. world fuzak.
yep... Muzak For A New Age Elevator :stop:
I love this song right up to the point where the guy starts singing. Something about men trying to vocalize on new age/ambient music that just never seems to work. I think the same thing anytime I hear Delirium.
Got the album for quite some time. Dead solid. Hmm, 6 years since this was released. Time flies.
thewiseking wrote:
neither afro, nor celt. world fuzak.
LMAO. But I still like it.
neither afro, nor celt. world fuzak.
dead-beat wrote:
Sorry. I prefer music with a tune and/or lyrics that I can remember.
It's okay. Maybe some TV jingles are more your style?
RParadise wrote:
My kids new favorite CD. They were always fans of Celtic music, and I thought they might like this. Big hit. Can't wait to see them if they come to NY to perform. I bet they give a tremendous live performance. Anyone out there ever seen them perform live?
Saw them at last year's Larma Tree festival in England. They are much livelier live - danced my arse off for the whole set, it was great
sfdba wrote:
The only place I hear Afro Celt Sound System is here on Radio Paradise. And, the more I hear them, the less I want to own their LP's.
Same experience about hearing but the more I hear them the more I want their LP's. Groovy but still melodic and a bit out of tune. Excellent.
radiojunkie wrote:
Probably not a big sacrifice, since I doubt they HAVE any "LP's"!
Oh, I know! But it's nice to say 'LP' once in awhile.
sfdba wrote:
The only place I hear Afro Celt Sound System is here on Radio Paradise. And, the more I hear them, the less I want to own their LP's.
Probably not a big sacrifice, since I doubt they HAVE any "LP's"!
It's like Irish Spring: mild enough for a woman -- but I like it too! (Okay, that's kind of the reverse of the old ad campaign, but so what.) Parts of this remind me very much of Loreena McKennit's "The Mummer's Dance." Has a nice feel to it.
The only place I hear Afro Celt Sound System is here on Radio Paradise. And, the more I hear them, the less I want to own their LP's.
Can't understand the lyrics either but I like the groove...very irish celtic meets tribal. Go Sinead! :bounce:
Sorry. I prefer music with a tune and/or lyrics that I can remember.
Platypus wrote:
Schwag ... toss this band to the "lite and easy" elevator music stations already.
Schwag, I'm confused. Isn't that the same term B&R used to describe valuable giveaways for the logo contest? What is your reference here?
Hey, the cute bald chick!
Platypus wrote:
nice... so you: disagree with me on a song comment, then you turn it into a personal attack on my taste. i stand by my statement that in my opinion this band is highly overplayed, overproduced, boring, bland, formulaic "world-pop". and that's me holding back.
1. i try to be wowed by afrocelt but it just doesn't happen. it's pap-pop. 2. and yes, personal attacks are mean. 3. still, it's tempting to find SOMEthing about you to smack around ... let's see ... maybe we could talk about the platypus. sure, they're cute, but they're not exactly jaguars, right? no. you see, that's unsatisfying, too ... um .. ok, how about your obvious bias against jimmy buffett? no, that doesn't cut it either. 4. sorry. can't find anything to pick on.
Roverfish wrote:
You've given every Coldplay tune played on RP a 10 and somehow feel qualified to act condescending to Afro Celt Sound System?
nice... so you: 1) disagree with me on a song comment, then 2) you do a very selective browsing of my song ratings - looking for just the right band that you dislike but that i rated highly (meanwhile selectively ignoring the fact that there's quite a significant amount of artist and even song overlap between your own "highest rated" list and mine) - and then 3) you turn it into a personal attack on my taste. that's very adult of you, pal. i could easily make the exact same simpleton comment based on a search of your highest rated list... but i won't, because to do so would be moronic. _____________ i stand by my statement that in my opinion this band is highly overplayed, overproduced, boring, bland, formulaic "world-pop". and that's me holding back. there is a nearly bottomless pool of truly great "world" music to choose from out there, and AfroCelt ain't even in the shallow end.
Platypus wrote:
Schwag ... toss this band to the "lite and easy" elevator music stations already.
You've given every Coldplay tune played on RP a 10 and somehow feel qualified to act condescending to Afro Celt Sound System? :stupid: :beat: I find this tune quite likeable.
Jimmy86 wrote:
First heard them on Jim Ladd's "Headsets", heard in Los Angeles on KLOS 95.5, and have not heard them ANYWHERE else until Radio Paradise! I gotta check them out! I DO know they also have a duet with Robert Plant that is really good, and I think they have a duet with Peter Gabriel...
I guess you have not listened to any mass-market radio then..... Nevertheless, this is cool stuff!! :drummer: :guitarist: :-({|=
Let's get dancing-at-Stonehenge tribal.
Dig.
MrBoyo wrote:
Super toe tapper! Interesting combo: Afro and Celt. Sounded like an odd idea but it works. What's next? Sino-Cajun?
I heard it was 'Indo-Nordic' :wink:
Schwag ... toss this band to the "lite and easy" elevator music stations already.
Afro-Celt SS... great stuff. Lively, layered and luscious.
Super toe tapper! Interesting combo: Afro and Celt. Sounded like an odd idea but it works. What's next? Sino-Cajun?
philarktos wrote:
No reason to believe Sinead will be with them, but TWO MORE DAYS TO AFROCELT IN VANCOUVER !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Oooh, I saw that show - absolutely fantastic! I'd known they'd be good, but man, I really wasn't prepared for HOW good they were... one of the most memorable shows I've seen in ages (besides Radiohead)...
First heard them on Jim Ladd's "Headsets", heard in Los Angeles on KLOS 95.5, and have not heard them ANYWHERE else until Radio Paradise! I gotta check them out! I DO know they also have a duet with Robert Plant that is really good, and I think they have a duet with Peter Gabriel...
chasboco wrote:
Egad, I hate this kind of stuff. Too rumbling, ominous and droney -- on and on and on. Same with those U2 fellers and the previous track by Janah "Wake of the Sun". Give me a chorus-verse-chorus framework anytime, but spare me this genre of drone-drivel. Now that I think of it RP, you play a lot of this kind of stuff. I hate stuff that sucks!
Well, who's forcing you to listen? Go away!
:meditate.gif: Open your mind, and your ass will follow
Hey, this song appeared on the original motion picture soundtrack to 'Stigmata.' OK, there's a lil' trivia for ya! :idea:
Love this cut, though I am glad Bill doesn't overplay it. Even more awesome after a break. This song was Sinnead's gesture of support in helping Afrocelt over a rough patch arising from the death of one of the founding members. So thankful that they have continued to thrive.
RosieRedfield wrote:
I'm with you. on and on and on and on....
How conservative... dancing must be hell ;)
chasboco wrote:
Egad, I hate this kind of stuff. Too rumbling, ominous and droney -- on and on and on. Same with those U2 fellers and the previous track by Janah "Wake of the Sun". Give me a chorus-verse-chorus framework anytime, but spare me this genre of drone-drivel. Now that I think of it RP, you play a lot of this kind of stuff. I hate stuff that sucks!
I'm with you. on and on and on and on....
Good stuff, and this genre(Celtic music) usually runs hot and cold for me. Don't mind some Clannad once in a while either.
philarktos wrote:
No reason to believe Sinead will be with them, but TWO MORE DAYS TO AFROCELT IN VANCOUVER !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did when they played San Francisco in July. Out-friggin-standing, tmetically speaking.
No reason to believe Sinead will be with them, but TWO MORE DAYS TO AFROCELT IN VANCOUVER !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Love the rhythms
Well, that explains it now, doesn't it? ;)
Originally Posted by RParadise: That's because it's Sinead O'Connor. Who could sound more -esque? She wrote the lyrics as well.
Originally Posted by twistedbeaver: Very cool blend of sounds and textures.
Agreed! (pimp)
simply marvelous . . . something about celtic always gets me going
Magnificant segue out of \"Wake of the Sun.\"
awesome song - good beat, sounds
Very cool blend of sounds and textures.
Originally Posted by newwavegurly: That opening female vocalist sounded suspiciously Sinead O'Connor-esque...
That's because it's Sinead O'Connor. Who could sound more -esque? She wrote the lyrics as well.
My kids new favorite CD. They were always fans of Celtic music, and I thought they might like this. Big hit. Can't wait to see them if they come to NY to perform. I bet they give a tremendous live performance. Anyone out there ever seen them perform live?
That opening female vocalist sounded suspiciously Sinead O\'Connor-esque...
From: rob Date: Jun 6,2001 I think the bag pipe player might have been slipped some mescaline ... just before they recorded this !!!!!!!!!!!
Actuallty uillean pipes do sound that way.
Originally Posted by TreborG2: Well you'll have to go suck it up someplace else then ... cause I'd say with 42 listeners ranking in (at this time) with an avg of 7.2 .. the song is better received by many others :D I, for one, BOUGHT the album because its been played here on RP .. Thanks *Again* Bill!! :p ;) :D
Yeah! What TreborG2 said. Far from sucking, IMHO. I, too, laid out green because-a hearing it here. If you ever STOP playing this stuff, THAT will suck. Oh! But if you're looking to 'make some room', my vote is to flush that Dylan guy. ! :D Rock on, Bill!
Originally Posted by chasboco: Egad, I hate this kind of stuff. .... Now that I think of it RP, you play a lot of this kind of stuff. I hate stuff that sucks!
Well you'll have to go suck it up someplace else then ... cause I'd say with 42 listeners ranking in (at this time) with an avg of 7.2 .. the song is better received by many others :D I, for one, BOUGHT the album because its been played here on RP .. Thanks *Again* Bill!! :p ;) :D
Egad, I hate this kind of stuff. Too rumbling, ominous and droney -- on and on and on. Same with those U2 fellers and the previous track by Janah \"Wake of the Sun\". Give me a chorus-verse-chorus framework anytime, but spare me this genre of drone-drivel. Now that I think of it RP, you play a lot of this kind of stuff. I hate stuff that sucks!
One of (the growing number of) bands I\'ve bought specifically because I heard them first on RP. Keep \'em coming!! Diggin\' it!
Sinead O\'Connor\'s vocals are a great match for the instruments -- not many other voices could compete with everything else going on in this song.
this is the first song by this band that has been bearable. not half bad.