[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Portishead — Glory Box
Album: Dummy
Avg rating:
8.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 4899









Released: 1994
Length: 3:31
Plays (last 30 days): 4
I'm so tired
Of playing
Playing with this bow and arrow
Gonna give my heart away
Leave it to the other girls to play
For I've been a temptress too long
Just

Give me a reason to love you
Give me a reason to be
A woman
I just wanna be a woman

From this time, unchained
We're all looking at a different picture
Through this new frame of mind
A thousand flowers could bloom
Move over, and give us some room
Yeah

Give me a reason to love you
Give me a reason to be
A woman
I just wanna be a woman

So don't you stop bein' a man
Just take a little look from our side when you can
Sow a little tenderness
No matter if you cry

Give me a reason to love you
Give me a reason to be here
A woman
It's all I wanna be is a woman

For this is the beginning of forever and ever
Its time to move over

I'm so tired, of playing
Playing with this bow and arrow
Gonna give my heart away
Leave it to the other girls to play
For I've been a temptress too long
Comments (533)add comment
 kbs wrote:

According to the rules of Krek Waiter's Peak Bristle it should be Port Zed
 
Blige, that's going back a bit, friend.



Perfect song, gets a 10 from me!
 Stetsonman wrote:
Sublime
oh to be back in Bristol during the 90s in the Thekla when Portishead and Massive Attack would play impromtu sets.
dem the days
 
Those were the days, friend.  When I was just young enough to get away with it, too.
 Stetsonman wrote:
Sublime
oh to be back in Bristol during the 90s in the Thekla when Portishead and Massive Attack would play impromtu sets.
dem the days
 

Yup.


Does John Martyn sing "...a woman"? I could look it up...
 murrayn wrote:

Great comment my friend. I was listening to it in realtime with you!
 
You're welcome! 
 LoudshirtsBand wrote:
Having heard John Martyn's version on RP last week, it's now the only version I like to hear.
Yes, Portishead's is very haunting but JM adds soul and meaning IMO.
I would never down rate a track just because I don't like it so kudos to the 8.3 from other listeners. LLRP
 
Great comment my friend. I was listening to it in realtime with you!
Having heard John Martyn's version on RP last week, it's now the version I prefer to hear.
Yes, Portishead's is very haunting but JM adds soul and meaning IMO.
I would never down rate a track just because I don't like it so kudos to the 8.3 from other listeners. LLRP
Sublime
oh to be back in Bristol during the 90s in the Thekla when Portishead and Massive Attack would play impromtu sets.
dem the days
In my day, Glory Box had quite a different connotation; but then, I'm  ancient.
BTW This is one of the first tracks I found on Napster.
Thnks RP
I might be biased as I'm most recently from Portishead, but I love this album.  I sat down and listened to it again last week, every track is outstanding, but I would pick out my favourites, Pedestal, Numb and Roads.  Not to mention Western Eyes from the second album.
 tonyjory wrote:
is it Portis-head or Porti-shead?


The former is correct.


 
According to the rules of Krek Waiter's Peak Bristle it should be Port Zed
This is always hot
Proto- Trip Hop ......excellent tune.....thanks again RP 
 wildmanfromSB wrote:
like this song but do not know much about Portishead.  is it Portis-head or Porti-shead?
terrific bluesy guitar.  

The former is correct.
Portishead is a seaside resort on the Bristol Channel in North Somerset, England.
Tony Jory
 

 wildmanfromSB wrote:
like this song but do not know much about Portishead.  is it Portis-head or Porti-shead?
terrific bluesy guitar.  
 
Portis-head. It's a town near Bristol in the UK where Portishead are from.
 wildmanfromSB wrote:
like this song but do not know much about Portishead.  is it Portis-head or Porti-shead?
terrific bluesy guitar.  
 

   gmsingh123 wrote:
The best use of low fi record noise I've ever heard.
 EXACTLY.  

like this song but do not know much about Portishead.  is it Portis-head or Porti-shead?
terrific bluesy guitar.  
The best use of low fi record noise I've ever heard.
How many guys sing along with 'I just wanna be a woman' with the same gusto. 

I do. 

It's liberating! 
Look up sensuous in the dictionary: Glory Box, by Portishead.
Wow, been a while.  I need to dig out this vinyl and crank at 11 in a dark room this weekend
Beth Gibbons is an incendiary singer.
Simply just love this song, the bass line is really good and hits the right spots in me.
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
I adore this track, it hits all the right spots. It's a solid 10 for me.

It is also one of those tracks that bridges time, it is simply timeless. I wonder if it will still be as wonderful in 30 years hence?
 

It hits all the right spots in my soul, too, and also gets a 10 from me. 

I suspect it will withstand the test of time ... if it is transferred to whatever muscial medium replaces albums, cassette tapes, laser discs, CDs, mp3s, ....
 user4176 wrote:


True. This song is doing things to a man's mind, strange things...
 
I don't know if it's a direct correlation to my "mind" necessarily.
 Solanus wrote:

(This is basically the long version of Stefen's reply)

That's a completely awful misread of the lyric.

She wants him to treat her as more than a thing to have, more of an equal. She wants respect, romantic affection, etc. She wants him to try looking at things from her perspective. She wants to be in love with him, she wants to settle down, but she wants him to be worthy of her attentions.

She wants him to be a man. Otherwise, she'll just be a memory, a regret,
 
Just exactly what VH1  needs to hear.


 the_jake wrote:

Very retro sampling {#Cool}
 
They sampled "Ike's Rap II" by Isaac Hayes for this one. Very cool!
Ok, dont worry I will not be your man...
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
Interesting. I find myself singing along and the line "I just want to be a woman" is not something I think I have ever issued before. I am liberated!
 

True. This song is doing things to a man's mind, strange things...
Holy Fuck! This albums 25 years old!
10 all the way like most of Phead trax
Do you afraid to be? Woman or man; but to be is truely happiness... 
 SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
I adore this track, it hits all the right spots. It's a solid 10 for me.

It is also one of those tracks that bridges time, it is simply timeless. I wonder if it will still be as wonderful in 30 years hence?

 
It's already 25 years old.
The contrast of that tortured, distorted guitar line on the choruses is just brilliant.
 Timbo080 wrote:
I love the "pops" like we used to hear with vinyl 

 
Very retro sampling {#Cool}
I adore this track, it hits all the right spots. It's a solid 10 for me.

It is also one of those tracks that bridges time, it is simply timeless. I wonder if it will still be as wonderful in 30 years hence?
classic track from a classic album
Long Live  RP





Rating to me  8 - Most Excellent  
 BCarn wrote:
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh....what's a "glory box"? (He says mouth agape and drooling)

 
I've been wondering the same thing... but I don't dare to google it.
 VH1 wrote:
"Give me a reason to be a woman"?

Geez what a lot of bull....{#Frustrated}{#Beat}{#Razz}{#Skull}{#Moon} 

Lady, if you need a reason, get an operation! 

 
(This is basically the long version of Stefen's reply)

That's a completely awful misread of the lyric.

She wants him to treat her as more than a thing to have, more of an equal. She wants respect, romantic affection, etc. She wants him to try looking at things from her perspective. She wants to be in love with him, she wants to settle down, but she wants him to be worthy of her attentions.

She wants him to be a man. Otherwise, she'll just be a memory, a regret,
 VH1 wrote:
"Give me a reason to be a woman"?

Geez what a lot of bull....{#Frustrated}{#Beat}{#Razz}{#Skull}{#Moon} 

Lady, if you need a reason, get an operation! 

 
Translation:  "Be a man."
Still love this song, although 1994 feels like it was yesterday{#Hearteyes}
When she sings this one, even my ancient Klipsches stand fully erect.
 
 dubberdan wrote:
 Skydog wrote:

i haven't heard that sound in decades
is Bill playing vinyl?
or is it an add-on for effect? 

Its on the original recording, so most likely an effect added, or from a vinyl record being mixed in

 
Its definitely from a record mixed in.

I remastered this song and took all the pops and clicks out just to hear it without.  Like it either way.
Image result for vintage Comics
"Give me a reason to be a woman"?

Geez what a lot of bull....{#Frustrated}{#Beat}{#Razz}{#Skull}{#Moon} 

Lady, if you need a reason, get an operation! 
My favorite Portishead song, and that's saying something since I like them all.
Not wearing well over time....getting really sick of the refrain. 
SiniLMan wrote:
God! I LOVE this song!! I always said if, God forbid, I should ever do drag, I would use this as my lip synch. Move over and give us some room... It would be so on fire!

This is the first comment I ever remember reading on RP and I still laugh about it...
 BlueHeronDruid wrote:
Enjoyed the first thousand times heard. Now I want to know what's keeping the whiny woman from being, uh, a woman.

 
{#Lol} It's fairly new to my ears. I just bumped it from 7 to 9.
Enjoyed the first thousand times heard. Now I want to know what's keeping the whiny woman from being, uh, a woman.
This song sounds younger than its 22 years. I would push its rating from 7->8 but the last 30 seconds are a bit crap.
 dubberdan wrote:

Its on the original recording, so most likely an effect added, or from a vinyl record being mixed in

 
...imagine the chagrin of someone back in '94 bringing it home from the record store (remember those?) on a brand new shiny digitally remastered Compact Disc {#Roflol}
Hmm.. would love to hear Alessia Cara's "Here" after this.
 Skydog wrote:

i haven't heard that sound in decades
is Bill playing vinyl?
or is it an add-on for effect? 

 
Its on the original recording, so most likely an effect added, or from a vinyl record being mixed in
 Timbo080 wrote:
Absolutely love the sound of the vinyl "pop"  

 
i haven't heard that sound in decades
is Bill playing vinyl?
or is it an add-on for effect? 
Absolutely love the sound of the vinyl "pop"  
That guitar - so tasty.
Still lovely.
 MojoJojo wrote:
GoldPhonicPortisFrappHooverHead!

 
Shouldn't that be ' Gold HOOVER Portis Frapp PHONIC Head '?
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh....what's a "glory box"? (He says mouth agape and drooling)
 Kaw wrote:
I think this song tops the play count on RP. I hear this song for years now every few days.
Not complaining though. It's still good. 

 
This scores a 10 on my scale, which basically means: “it is impossible to play this too often,” within limits of reasonable behaviour of course. This was last played five days ago, which is perfectly reasonable. Once every day would still be reasonable. Once every 30 minutes would not be reasonable, as I experienced first-hand through a colleague who once had a 7-song playlist on endless repeat… Which actually was what made me search for a good internet radio to escape from it, and then I found RP, so at least one good thing came out of it.
I think this song tops the play count on RP. I hear this song for years now every few days.
Not complaining though. It's still good. 
 scrubbrush wrote:


seems like it faded out early...

 
Leave them wanting more.   you can always buy it and put it on repeat, Musical business sense, y'see?
vanmas wrote:
Nice... but again?
It is like Dire Straits... a little to much on RP.

 
 
jruhnke wrote:

I understand each of your words individually, but they don't make any sense when put together in that order.  {#Smile}

 

"I'm playing all the right notes,
just not necssarily in the right order, Mr Preview"
- Morecambe & Wise

(with Andre Previn)
(mis-quoted, but it was from 1970something)
 bowmusic wrote:
Would love to hear the John Martyn version more.

 
It gets played now and then.
stunix wrote:
Ahhh but I remember the gigs and the vibe around Bristol Uni around 1996, bands like Morcheeba and Portishead were plenty and triphoped potheads ruled.
I'm still here, I just got older.

DaidyBoy wrote:

Pleased to hear it my friend.  I spent my time at Bristol Poly from '87 - '92 and they were great times.  My regards.

 
Hi there fellow ex Bristol-Poly&Uni-ites. i was at Bristol Poly '85 - '88 (HND Electronic Engineering)
Loved that city and its people, The Granary, The Crown, The Mardyke, etc etc
If i'd known then what i know now, i'd've stayed there too!
PS used to cover Glorybox in my last band (with a female singer). I liked playing that one.
Brilliant! Portishead's debut is just unequalled
 vanmas wrote:
Nice... but again?
It is like Dire Straits... a little to much on RP.

 
I understand each of your words individually, but they don't make any sense when put together in that order.  {#Smile}
Nice... but again?
It is like Dire Straits... a little to much on RP.
Really nice guitar work - listen with headphones. Also interesting (from Wiki) the main melody was sampled from "Ike's Rap II" -
 stunix wrote:

Ahhh but I remember the gigs and the vibe around Bristol Uni around 1996, bands like Morcheeba and Portishead were plenty and triphoped potheads ruled.
I'm still here, I just got older.

 
Pleased to hear it my friend.  I spent my time at Bristol Poly from '87 - '92 and they were great times.  My regards.
I love the "pops" like we used to hear with vinyl 
 JasondotG wrote:
Holy Fuck! This albums 20 years old!

 
Ahhh but I remember the gigs and the vibe around Bristol Uni around 1996, bands like Morcheeba and Portishead were plenty and triphoped potheads ruled.
I'm still here, I just got older.
 PaoloManana wrote:
Almost perfect, dont like the end.

 

seems like it faded out early...
 JasondotG wrote:
Holy Fuck! This albums 20 years old!

 
Portis Head and Beth Gibbons, they are divine beings or maybe  extraterrestrial....or both?!!!!!
Holy Fuck! This albums 20 years old!
{#Sleep}
This is a good song to use when testing the effectiveness of your bass speakers.
A 10 from us. 
Almost perfect, dont like the end.
Another big fat 10 from me.
I can honestly admit that no matter how many times I hear this, I will be stopped dead in my tracks.
{#Hearteyes} love this song!
{#Notworthy} I simply adore this song
Love it..such a stunning song..both in composition and execution
 {#Yes}Peter_Bradshaw wrote:

.... lots more of any John Martyn please
 


 bowmusic wrote:
Would love to hear the John Martyn version more.

 
.... lots more of any John Martyn please
Would love to hear the John Martyn version more.
...... is definitely GODLIKE.    {#Daisy} 


 
 ece wrote:
bitirdin bizi bill abi.

 
Nye ama? excellent song! :D
bitirdin bizi bill abi.
eargasm
 Proclivities wrote:

It would be good to hear other stuff from this band, but 6 plays (total: 30 minutes 23 seconds) in 30 days (43,200 minutes) may not necessarily be "a bit much".

 

Agreed. Anyone who thinks that is overplaying has been away from commercial radio stations for too long. 
Fact is this is a fantastic song and well deserves 6 plays in a month.  
Sultry sways to the song in my chair at work this Christmas Eve.
 cgrove wrote:
Agreed...6 plays in past 30 days is a bit much

 
It would be good to hear other stuff from this band, but 6 plays (total: 30 minutes 23 seconds) in 30 days (43,200 minutes) may not necessarily be "a bit much".
 Catalytic wrote:
I always turn this one up... and if possible, turn off the lights. Headphones are good, but it's best if this song just bounces off the walls at me.

 
It is always good to hear this in the small hours of the morning when the mind is ready to swim among the stars.
GoldPhonicPortisFrappHooverHead!
 dig wrote:
One of the few songs that could follow Etta James.

  not...........not even the same galaxy, fits well with mancinni tho , maby it's a pink portashed




Glorious noise!

Sounds like a Bond movie theme song.


I always turn this one up... and if possible, turn off the lights. Headphones are good, but it's best if this song just bounces off the walls at me.
Somehow this band/artist slipped through the cracks for me. Thanks for playing this now !
I find it introspective {#Eek} that this song is almost 20 years old.  I was in College when Portishead was one of THE bands that you would only find on College DJs rotations, that is until this song came out. I remember it being plastered all over commercial radio as if that broadcast medium had discovered 'alternative' music for the first time. At first I was annoyed with a degree of snobbery (you are not a Real Doors Fan, for the Kids in the Hall fans) but finally just took some pleasure in the fact that something I had known was {#Cheers} for a while was getting recogognized. That all these years later RP has had it in 'heavy rotation' well some things are just timeless and this is just a {#Taped-shut} good bit of music. --- thanks Bill for making this 90s 'alternative' kid feel some nostalgia, a feeling that seems to be creeping in more and more lately.
 {#Yes}at least throw the live version at us. cgrove wrote:
Agreed...6 plays in past 30 days is a bit much

 


this is perfection
I was lucky my big brother introduced me to Ph when I was in highschool.  Always up for this groove. Thanks Bro
Crazy freakin' good...
 Keef wrote:

Greatness July 2013

 
August 2013
 Keef wrote:

Shaggy wrote:
..since there should be at least one comment per month extolling the greatness of this song, i hereby submit the March 2013 edition:

.."this is the beginning of forever & ever".. 

Greatness indeed.  June 2013.

 
Greatness July 2013
 cgrove wrote:
Agreed...6 plays in past 30 days is a bit much

 

Bullocks.
One of the few songs that could follow Etta James.
 cShaggy wrote:
..since there should be at least one comment per month extolling the greatness of this song, i hereby submit the March 2013 edition:

.."this is the beginning of forever & ever".. 
 
Greatness indeed.  June 2013.
 bb_matt wrote:
Pity this ended up being about the only song they ever made, with all the rest sounding, well, pretty much exactly the same.
Awesome song though. 

 
Interesting point of view. And I disagree. To me, this is one of the weaker songs Portishead made. There are many songs of theirs that I like tons better. A real pity is, there's none of the stellar live tracks - they played at their wonderfully taped Roseland Ballroom '97 gig (with live orchestra) - getting played on RP. Back then I watched that concert at a local cinema on a big screen, with a solid soundsystem - It brought (good) tears to my eyes: it is/was so effing awesome. They're totally underrepresented here.
Back in 1994 I was a DJ at a local public radio station. Big Band music every Saturday morning. One day the guy who played contemporary music on his show called in sick, and I volunteered to cover him. Played this song, and then announced on air that it was by a group called "Porti Shed," like a portable shed. Oops.
Agreed...6 plays in past 30 days is a bit much
 I really like their live stuff. sirdroseph wrote:


Yes they need to change up their Portishead selections and add more. Like the rest of this album.