[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Van Morrison — Come Running
Album: Moondance
Avg rating:
7.3

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1105









Released: 1970
Length: 2:26
Plays (last 30 days): 1
By the side of the tracks where the train goes by
The wind and the rain will catch you, you will sigh
Deep in your heart
Then you'll come a-running to me
You'll come a-running to me

Well you watch the train go 'round the bend
Play in dust and dream that it will never end
Deep in your heart
You'll come a-running to me
You'll come a-running to me

Said, hey, come a-running to me
Oh, come a-running to me
Hey, yeah, come a-running to me
Said, hey, come a-running to me
Oh, come a-running to me
Hey, yeah, come a-running to me

With your hound dog by your side
And your arms stretched out open wide
I wanna keep you satisfied in the morning sun
By my side, come on, come on run
And you kick the sand up with your heels
You think to yourself how good it feels
Put away all your walking shoes
Then you come running to me
Now you come running to me

I said, hey, come a-running to me
Oh, come a-running to me
Hey, yeah, come a-running to me

You gotta rainbow if you run to me
Comments (94)add comment
 idiot_wind wrote:
Play the title track of St Dominic's Preview.  It's a master piece but no one ever plays it.
 
I think Bill played it recently. How 'bout "Jackie Wilson Said", or "Redwood Tree"? That entire album is a 10!
What about: Hard Nose the Highway"?  

Now there's an obscure album. Not that good.  Neat album cover. 
Ahem...

And it's a long way to Buffalo
It's a long way to Belfast city too
And I'm hoping the choice won't blow the hoist
'Cause this town, they bit off more than they can chew.

As we gaze out on, as we gaze out on
As we gaze out on, as we gaze out on
Saint Dominic's Preview
Saint Dominic's Preview
Saint Dominic's Preview
 idiot_wind wrote:
Or  Pull No Punches or Bulbs from the Veedon Fleece album. 
That album is utterly fantastic, but no one plays it.  Bummer.  
 
Yes, Veedon Fleece is fantastic!
My second fave Van album after Astral Weeks.
 TerryS wrote:

anyone who gives his fans '60 mins of music no encores', as stipulated in his contracts is a bit of a shite meister.

 
I've never heard that, and I can't find any evidence for it. Maybe it's in his contracts, but his shows aren't usually that short. I've definitely seen him play for 90+ and do encores. 
Or  Pull No Punches or Bulbs from the Veedon Fleece album. 

That album is utterly fantastic, but no one plays it.  Bummer.  
 idiot_wind wrote:
Play the title track of St Dominic's Preview.  It's a master piece but no one ever plays it.

 
How about "Cleaning Windows" too.  Love that one.
 dragon1952 wrote:

I like Van....I really do....in fact I own this CD. But you hear people complaining about various voices.....Geddy Lee, Death Cab (Ben Gibbard), Jon Anderson (Yes), Neil Young....but nobody seems to ever rag on Van.

 
Au contraire, I did  posit he was the king of the mumble mumble shout school. This, however, is the exception, he actually enunciates and tries to sing. There is a theory that when he started to lose his hair, the hat affected his hearing.
As for me, anyone who gives his fans '60 mins of music no encores', as stipulated in his contracts is a bit of a shite meister.
Bring it.
I did lightimg for a Van Morrison show in college, around 1971-72
Play the title track of St Dominic's Preview.  It's a master piece but no one ever plays it.
 tkosh wrote:
You're forgiven.  I don't care for opera, and it's been around for centuries.  For me, it's the vibe.  Van Morrison just has a vibe that got in my blood long ago, and I love hearing him every time he comes on.

 
well said tkosh! 
 averybadcat wrote:
genius or pioneer  or  not,  the vanster gets on my nerves. and always did.  there, let God strike me down.
  You're forgiven.  I don't care for opera, and it's been around for centuries.  For me, it's the vibe.  Van Morrison just has a vibe that got in my blood long ago, and I love hearing him every time he comes on.


 averybadcat wrote:
genius or pioneer  or  not,  the vanster gets on my nerves. and always did.  there, let God strike me down.
 
I like Van....I really do....in fact I own this CD. But you hear people complaining about various voices.....Geddy Lee, Death Cab (Ben Gibbard), Jon Anderson (Yes), Neil Young....but nobody seems to ever rag on Van.
For the longest time I only had Van Morrison's Greatest Hits but a little while ago I got this album, the 180g vinyl reissue. Perhaps the best value-for-money I've ever gotten. What a perfect album. Just effortless, beautiful blue-eyed soul going on, start to finish.

Makes you wanna skip down the street with a smile on your face, man. 
Saw Van a number of times. Once in Buffalo,NY about maybe 1978 he stumbled onstage and fell over the mike stand to start the show. Happened to sit next to his table in the Anchor Bar post concert and leaned over to say I'd enjoyed the show. "Glad someone did" was his response.
Love the guy.
genius or pioneer  or  not,  the vanster gets on my nerves. and always did.  there, let God strike me down.
 idiot_wind wrote:
But where are the...hot hot hot hot pants?


That crazy Belfast cowboy.  

 
hmmmmmm back around 75 or so I was cutting  leather in S.F.Ca. Hot Pants from shammy. thousands of em' never saw one pair on any person yet.
 crockydile wrote:
Reminds me of the Blues Brothers...{#Think}

 
where do you think  A & B got it ?  Elwood & Jake did the homework......wasn't just 4 fried chickens & an order of dry white toast......
 Peter_Bradshaw wrote:
{#Bananapiano}{#Heartkiss} "Outstanding"
 
Yes, very nice song!
{#Bananapiano}{#Heartkiss} "Outstanding"

Van Morrison's Moondance - start to finish is just about perfect.
 
But where are the...hot hot hot hot pants?


That crazy Belfast cowboy.  
 hschlossberg wrote:


How could you leave Bob Dylan off that list.  Van Morrison is in the same singing league as Bob Dylan -- worse than Anderson, Cohen or Young.  Even Tom Waits doesn't bother me as much.

 
GO STAND ON THAT CORNER WITH THE OTHER TWO, SO I DON'T HAVE TO WASTE ANOTHER GRENADE.....oh, take squeal with you, ok....JUST KIDDING FOLKS, then again see below..........
 renlat wrote:


Hi There! I'm standing on the corner right next to yours !!!...
 
AAHHH, NOW  !  ( I know where to toss the grenade ) thank you I AM getting a bit long in the tooth, my arm ain't what it used to be   {#Angel}
 westslope wrote:
Yeah, the voice can annoy.

He almost sings as badly as Jon Anderson, Leonard Cohen or Neil Young.

 

How could you leave Bob Dylan off that list.  Van Morrison is in the same singing league as Bob Dylan -- worse than Anderson, Cohen or Young.  Even Tom Waits doesn't bother me as much.

Wow...  what memories of this...  love it...
 
Yes, indeed, a "Desert Island Album".  All of the times when I have seen VM in concert and the two times I have personally met him, I've remarked that this is the 'Ur-Album" ("Ur" meaning the absolute basic, founding father, primordial, etc etc" album of his career. )  VM's work on this album is seminal .. seminal meaning that he gives life to so many kinds of marvelous melodies and verses.  As you all know, VM is a very private and shy man; his sole comment to me when I waxed poetic about this album (whilst on a photo shoot in Malta many years ago) he said, "aye, that twas a work of art to be sure"  — I replied "Van, you mean a Work of Morrison, right?"  He just laughed and turned away while I snapped more frames.  Do I love this album?  Oh hell yes.  As our Former Member, Rometuna would have said "We are all rocking in our hotel room" or something like that.....



Moondance is a seminal album ... a 'desert island' album.  Powerful - start to finish.

 
 fredriley wrote:

Jon Anderson'll be t' Yorkshire tyke that sang wi' Yes, aye? In which case he's got voice like strangled whippet, 'appen as like .

(Translation notes for non-Yorkshire folk on Wikipedia)

  This makes no sense to me. Strangling a whippet would clearly lead to a severely higher pitch than what we observe. I suggest a more robust dog for the job. Not sure which one though. Of course, John Anderson live was nowhere close to hitting the notes we all thought were due. Not bankrupt but surely strained.


 tompoll wrote:

Wow. Officially the first time I've ever seen anyone accuse Jon Anderson of bad singing. Confusing quality with pitch?
 
It would probably be better to address Jon Anderson's irritating, eunuch-like screeching.  I guess that's technically different than "bad singing", "officially".
I've always thought his voice has a distinct "Porky Pig" quality to it, which is readily apparent to me in this song.
 goo wrote:


I have to agree with Van the Man on this one. The internet has turned ua all into attention deficit idiots. Now we live in a world of immediate gratification where everything including sex is just a click away but it's all a sad empty illusion...no poetry anymore, just noise.

There, end of rant.


I like rants.  Rant away.  But I have a counter rant.  Here goes.  The Internet rocks.  {#Dancingbanana_2}  Van needs his head examined.

My second favorite horn section, right behind James Brown's Fabulous Flames.
based on the date of the last comment, seems like ages since this song was on the playlist!!!! {#Naughty}

oh van the man!!! 

 tompoll wrote:

Wow. Officially the first time I've ever seen anyone accuse Jon Anderson of bad singing. Confusing quality with pitch?
 
Jon Anderson'll be t' Yorkshire tyke that sang wi' Yes, aye? In which case he's got voice like strangled whippet, 'appen as like .

(Translation notes for non-Yorkshire folk on Wikipedia)

A long time ago, in the mid 70s my other half was working backstage at a Van gig and was rubbing shoulders with the man himself. He sank two bottles of red wine before the gig and apparently it was standard fare for him to get into shape to sing. . . which accounts for much of his style I guess.  
 westslope wrote:

Yeah, the voice can annoy.

He almost sings as badly as Jon Anderson, Leonard Cohen or Neil Young.

 

That said, some of his songs are real gems.   Amazing for such a full-speed ahead alcoholic.


 
Wow. Officially the first time I've ever seen anyone accuse Jon Anderson of bad singing. Confusing quality with pitch?
{#Yawn} Van the sleeping pill...
I do believe I have a see through copy of this vinyl some where !{#Smile}
 fredriley wrote:
Yep. Van on, mute on.
 

Yeah, the voice can annoy.

He almost sings as badly as Jon Anderson, Leonard Cohen or Neil Young.

 

That said, some of his songs are real gems.   Amazing for such a full-speed ahead alcoholic.


 fredriley wrote:
Yep. Van on, mute on.
 
Me, too. I'm actually usually grateful with VM comes on because it helps be break away from RP to do something else.

fredriley wrote:
Yep. Van on, mute on.

Plus he's had an amazing life no doubt...and he's still a bitter little ball of anger...now what's that about?

Reminds me of the Blues Brothers...{#Think}
This last hour of music has been amazing. I guess Bill's decided to go for broke and give everybody a great Friday night! Thank you Bill! {#Notworthy}
 goo wrote:


I have to agree with Van the Man on this one. The internet has turned ua all into attention deficit idiots. Now we live in a world of immediate gratification where everything including sex is just a click away but it's all a sad empty illusion...no poetry anymore, just noise. 


  I'm sorry...what was that you said?


 lmic wrote:

On RP, I've learned that the Kinks are underrated and Van Morrison is commercial. Where have I been hiding?
 
Sounds like that "Everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten" book. (or whatever it was ...)

Who decreed that Van Morrison is commercial, anyway?


Moondance is a great album.  Most of Van's stuff from this period was (Astral Weeks, His band and street Choir, etc.).
Wow! Moondance is so damn righteous
Chumbawamba-1984 wrote:
Does RP turn commercial to serve us this smart (pet) food ?
On RP, I've learned that the Kinks are underrated and Van Morrison is commercial. Where have I been hiding?
...8--->9...
renlat wrote:
Hi There! I'm standing on the corner right next to yours !!!... :high-five:
Hi! Let's make it three! Though I have to admit I love "Brown-eyed Girl," but mainly because I did...
Bleyfusz wrote:
...Besides, I can perfectly understand your point of view, and confess that I feel tented into agreement: internet is a marketplace of egolatrism...
"Egolatrism"?? Is that one of those new-fangled internet words?
renlat wrote:
Hi There! I'm standing on the corner right next to yours !!!... :high-five:
Van Moribond again ? Sh.. !! Does RP turn commercial to serve us this smart (pet) food ?
rulebritannia wrote:
I'm just the lonely guy in the corner who never liked VM. His voice just annoys me.
Hi There! I'm standing on the corner right next to yours !!!... :high-five:
rulebritannia wrote:
I'm just the lonely guy in the corner who never liked VM. His voice just annoys me.
Yep. Van on, mute on.
On_The_Beach wrote:
Not Van's best, but any early Van is good Van.
I'm just the lonely guy in the corner who never liked VM. His voice just annoys me.
goo wrote:
I have to agree with Van the Man on this one. The internet has turned ua all into attention deficit idiots. Now we live in a world of immediate gratification where everything including sex is just a click away but it's all a sad empty illusion...no poetry anymore, just noise. There, end of rant. 01/03/2006 - 12:14:12 Van Morrison has launched a scathing attack on the internet, insisting it is responsible for the dumbing down of society and modern culture. The Gloria hitmaker is convinced the web has caused more problems than it has solved, and insists Earth would be a better place without it. He says: "Now, because of the internet, everyone's suddenly a big shot. I'm talking about people who think that because they've looked up a website, they know everything. "You used to have to study things but now you can just find it on the internet, and everybody feels very important because they have access to this stuff. "It was a different culture when I was young. Quality, respect - they seem to have vanished."
OK Van - keep on praying to your Higher Self, but let me tell you something: there will always be poetry, according to the great Spanish post-romantic Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, with whom I agree on this point. Besides, I can perfectly understand your point of view, and confess that I feel tented into agreement: internet is a marketplace of egolatrism. But that's not the fault of the internet itself, instead it is of those who don't know where its real utilities are to be found. And last not least: I owe it to the internet that I could get deeper into several lyrics of yours which I highly appreciate. Because the way you mumble them out doesn't make it precisely easier for us no-native speakers to capture them. Long may you run.
federico wrote:
Have you noticed? all but one of the tracks of this album are on the playlist ... and it fully deserves it.
I completely agree ... one of my favorite CDs in my collection.
Not Van's best, but any early Van is good Van.
Have you noticed? all but one of the tracks of this album are on the playlist ... and it fully deserves it.
horstman wrote:
The internet has to be the greatest invention of the last 101 years. There is instant information, more than you can ever find. And links to places to get more. Van is so off base with this comment it can only be a narrow opinion with no real basis in reality.
You can't blame him. He's just making the typical human error of assuming that some kind of technology is inherently bad (or good). I'm quite sure many people had similar ideas as Van when the printing press was invented. True, the internet is full of crap, but there are also many gems (like RP :wink:). It's just a matter of finding them.
The internet has to be the greatest invention of the last 101 years. There is instant information, more than you can ever find. And links to places to get more. Van is so off base with this comment it can only be a narrow opinion with no real basis in reality. When I need information, I go to the internet. Then I go to the library. goo wrote:
I have to agree with Van the Man on this one. The internet has turned ua all into attention deficit idiots. Now we live in a world of immediate gratification where everything including sex is just a click away but it's all a sad empty illusion...no poetry anymore, just noise. There, end of rant. 01/03/2006 - 12:14:12 Van Morrison has launched a scathing attack on the internet, insisting it is responsible for the dumbing down of society and modern culture. The Gloria hitmaker is convinced the web has caused more problems than it has solved, and insists Earth would be a better place without it. He says: "Now, because of the internet, everyone's suddenly a big shot. I'm talking about people who think that because they've looked up a website, they know everything. "You used to have to study things but now you can just find it on the internet, and everybody feels very important because they have access to this stuff. "It was a different culture when I was young. Quality, respect - they seem to have vanished."
Roverfish wrote:
:yawn: Wow, way to pick the absolute worst track off Van's greatest album. That said, it's still a 6, but, c'mon, better music is just begging to be played from Moondance.
I like this one plenty good. Actually, I love the last 3 or 4 songs on Moondance. These Dreams, Come Running, Glad Tidings, etc. are a terrific crescendo to an awesome set of songs. P.S. Saw Van last spring in Mpls. Do all of his concerts start EXACTLY on time? Was in the Target Center corridors getting a beverage at about 7:25 thinking, "Plenty of time!" Minutes later, still in line, Van's band and his saxophone was blaring out through the halls. A look at the watch - 7:30pm. A quick glance at some other concert goers, some also looking at their watches - a few others just nodding and smiling, "It must be 7:30".
could he look any more like van gogh on the album cover? van morrison/van gogh? anyone?
Van's playing at ACL this year. As if i needed another reason to covet my neighbor's tickets
i used to love van -then he played redrocks and he was an ASSHOLE. hey -you sing -get over yourself.
Further to Van Morrison Slams Internet.... This made me think of the Bible book Ecclesiastes. (Worth taking the time to read it. Only 12 chapters, but it is the wisdom of Solomon !!) 5:3 For a dream certainly comes in because of abundance of occupation, and the voice of a stupid one because of the abundance of words. 7:12 For wisdom is for a protection money is for a protection; but the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom itself preserves alive its owners. 12:12 ...To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion is wearisome to the flesh.
A nice song, but not even the best, from one of the greatest albums ever made. I see RP has every song but one (Brand New Day) in the library, and even after all these years it's ranked #181 on Amazon. Go, Van!
I have to agree with Van the Man on this one. The internet has turned ua all into attention deficit idiots. Now we live in a world of immediate gratification where everything including sex is just a click away but it's all a sad empty illusion...no poetry anymore, just noise. There, end of rant. 01/03/2006 - 12:14:12 Van Morrison has launched a scathing attack on the internet, insisting it is responsible for the dumbing down of society and modern culture. The Gloria hitmaker is convinced the web has caused more problems than it has solved, and insists Earth would be a better place without it. He says: "Now, because of the internet, everyone's suddenly a big shot. I'm talking about people who think that because they've looked up a website, they know everything. "You used to have to study things but now you can just find it on the internet, and everybody feels very important because they have access to this stuff. "It was a different culture when I was young. Quality, respect - they seem to have vanished."
eamo wrote:
Taken from "Ireland Online" Van Morrison slams internet 01/03/2006 - 12:14:12 Van Morrison has launched a scathing attack on the internet, insisting it is responsible for the dumbing down of society and modern culture.
Huh. A week earlier, television was being blamed for all those problems. :lol:
Taken from "Ireland Online" Van Morrison slams internet 01/03/2006 - 12:14:12 Van Morrison has launched a scathing attack on the internet, insisting it is responsible for the dumbing down of society and modern culture. The Gloria hitmaker is convinced the web has caused more problems than it has solved, and insists Earth would be a better place without it. He says: "Now, because of the internet, everyone's suddenly a big shot. I'm talking about people who think that because they've looked up a website, they know everything. "You used to have to study things but now you can just find it on the internet, and everybody feels very important because they have access to this stuff. "It was a different culture when I was young. Quality, respect - they seem to have vanished."
mperry wrote:
I really like this. I know some really find Van hard to tolerate, but this is just a feel good sound if you ask me. A song that I would love to here but would probably drive too many people crazy is the title track from his 1978 album "Common One". 14:52 minutes(in that range as I recall) of transcendance, from reverie to rave to revival. It is an awesome work. :cool:
Agreed - we should never put a time constraint on transcendence...
moshevelvul wrote:
great tune - - why does Van think he's sexy?
Because he is? Pardon the female perspective but more to this balding short Irishman than just the physical - the lyrics, the music, the delivery, the unintended interpretations, the soundtrack to many a drive in the country.........come on, now
Is there any such thing as bad Van M ( the man). Everyone has their own personal favs ( Cleaning Windows, Into the Mystic et cetera) Count this as a big bonus!! We are the 'blessed' listening to RP and not the tripe on many INet radio stations
Roverfish wrote:
:yawn: Wow, way to pick the absolute worst track off Van's greatest album. That said, it's still a 6, but, c'mon, better music is just begging to be played from Moondance.
Try listening again!?
:yawn: Wow, way to pick the absolute worst track off Van's greatest album. That said, it's still a 6, but, c'mon, better music is just begging to be played from Moondance.
trempel wrote:
this song is sweet. I'm a big Van Morrison Van. I tend to agree with that previous comment
:iamwith: :puke:
Approaching bliss.....
great tune - - why does Van think he's sexy?
wallyfuzz wrote:
Nothing better than a feel good 'Van' tune. More of these, please
Oh, Yes! Yes, Please!
this song is sweet. I'm a big Van Morrison Van. I tend to agree with that previous comment
Can't listen to this without comparing it to his own Domino, which is rather similar (the horns in particular) and I prefer the latter.
gator wrote:
moondance....probably my all time favorite cd.
:notworthy: :clap: :notworthy:
gator wrote:
moondance....probably my all time favorite cd.
Here! Here! It might not be my favorite, but it is really, really, really good! 8)
gator wrote:
moondance....probably my all time favorite cd.
:cheers:
Not my favorite Van song and it's still a 9. The man defines soul.
Originally Posted by LBRC: moondance. . . :moon: how ironically funny! :evil:
Irony? You might have been better off with: Look! Moon - dancing? Moondance? Get it? Moondance? Get it? Mooning? Dancing? Anybody? Bueller?
originally posted by gator: moondance....probably my all time favorite cd.
moondance. . . :moon: how ironically funny! :evil:edited by lbrc at 9:05 am on 5/29/2003
What a great last half hour, thoroughly enjoyed myself here at work. Thanks for the great set! :clap:
I really like this. I know some really find Van hard to tolerate, but this is just a feel good sound if you ask me. A song that I would love to here but would probably drive too many people crazy is the title track from his 1978 album \"Common One\". 14:52 minutes(in that range as I recall) of transcendance, from reverie to rave to revival. It is an awesome work. :cool:
Nothing better than a feel good \'Van\' tune. More of these, please
blah! he sucks :moon:
moondance....probably my all time favorite cd.