[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Bob Marley — Lively Up Yourself
Album: Live!
Avg rating:
7.3

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1331









Released: 1975
Length: 4:29
Plays (last 30 days): 1
You're gonna lively up yourself, and don't be no drag
You lively up yourself 'cause reggae is another bag
You lively up yourself and don't say no
You're gonna lively up yourself 'cause I said so.

Hear what you gonna do
You rock so, you rock so
Like you never did before
You dip so, you dip so
Dip through my door.
You come so, you come so
Oh yeah
You skank so, you skank so
Be alive today!

You're gonna lively up yourself, and don't say no
You lively up yourself, big daddy say so
You lively up yourself, and don't be no drag
You lively up yourself 'cause reggae is another bag

What you got that I don't know
I'm a trying to wonder why you act so
Hey, do you hear what the man seh?

Lively up your yourself, your woman in the morning time, you'all
Keep a livelin' up your woman when the evening come and take her

You rock so, you rock so
You dip so, you dip so
You skank so, you skank so, and don't be no drag
You come so, you come so, for reggae is another bag.

Get what you got in that bag
What have you got in the other bag you got hanging there
What you say you got
I don't believe you
Comments (167)add comment
When the universe serves up opportunity. . . I had a chance to go to this gig and missed it for some reason. 

It is one of my very few life regrets. 

I read that a couple of times before it clicked.....  a good one!  :-)

Great song, too!

 
Proclivities wrote:

"Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a doornail."

 


 Stingray wrote:
I was told MARLEY is not dead! TRUE...?
 
"Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a doornail."
I'd be very happy if this was played at my funeral. . . as I watched the proceedings while doing a kind of nonphysical shimmy with all those who know full well that I'd be doing just that with them.  
  For a phoney number was on mercy street in forbiddden city could dance cheek to cheek..
What's the chorus?{#Ask}

{#Headache}
I understand the epic qualities of Bob Marley's role in reggae. His message is clear and his sentiments are true. However, this doesn't change the fact that I grow tired of reggae about 30 seconds into it. 

 DaidyBoy wrote:

Asses are measured by volume, unless we are talking about more than one

 
With all due respect, asses can be measured by the same method as horses; hands.  A hand is considered 4" from thumb to pinky.  So go find one and lay hands on it
 tprimeau wrote:
This kicks buches of ass.
  
deepwoodskev wrote:

Is "buches" a new measurement of volume or quantity?

 
Asses are measured by volume, unless we are talking about more than one
As an old stoner, I had to give it an 8.
Makes me want to grow dreads. 10.
Next! And yes, something else comes up. Something better.
 Stingray wrote:

RIDICULOUS - without a shred of melody!

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

"1"



 

 overcast wrote:

I accepted your point of view giving the song a  "1"  but i think you miss the broader picture. 

 

IMHO it is more like a "3"

Same rhythm and pretty much the same melody as every other reggae song I've heard since the '70s.


It's a great song, but I do prefer by far the live version on "Babylon by bus" (at the Pavillon de Paris, 1977.)
On this version, he sounds tired, he just doesn't seem quite inside the moment... All the more praise to the band that sounds rock solid as they always do, fabulous rythm section.
 PopKombo wrote:
at the insistence of a friend, i went to this concert .... transcendent
And a friend of mine w/two tix asked me to go. TV (gaaah!) was too important. I've been fortunate to see some milestone concerts...but not this one.  Not my favorite rendition of this wonderful song, however. 


My favorite Bob Marley song!  
at the insistence of a friend, i went to this concert .... transcendent
The day is done, the beer is cold.
Maybe the dumbest thread on a tune on R.P. ever....
 Stingray wrote:
I was told MARLEY is not dead! TRUE...?

 
Yes. It's Paul who's dead.
 ThePoose wrote:
You call your pussy ''Yourself''?
Bully!

 
shellbella wrote:
I named my cat after this song!!


   

{#Lol}
You call your pussy ''Yourself''?
Bully!

 
shellbella wrote:
I named my cat after this song!!


 



 2k1sedan wrote:
will this song never end?
how many times do you have to listen to this?
 
Once. It lasts a lifetime.
Lively up yours, elf.
I love this song... I named my cat Lively.....
will this song never end?
how many times do you have to listen to this?
 cosmiclint wrote:

Bob Marley's in romeotuma's hotel room?

 

Well, he is going by "Lazarus" these days, so maybe romeo can order some reanimating room service food and bring Bob back to the here and now with him for a 2nd act!
{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}{#Dancingbanana}
 Stingray wrote:
I was told MARLEY is not dead! TRUE...?


 
TJS wrote:


He's with Elvis. Fact.
 
Bob Marley's in romeotuma's hotel room?
I named my cat after this song... Lively.... 13 years old and mean as a snake.
 Stingray wrote:

RIDICULOUS - without a shred of melody!

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

"1"

 
I accepted your point of view giving the song a  "1"  but i think you miss the broader picture. 
Tedium and tediumer.
Lively Up Yourself. Translation? Get stoned. Big whuup.

RIDICULOUS - without a shred of melody!

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

"1"


Stupid song, actually!


 TJS wrote:


He's with Elvis. Fact.
 
Damian is dead?
 mistabird wrote:
i like reggae   BOB dO YOUR  JOB THIS MUSIC WE NEED {#Dance}

 
True! This music we WEED!
 Stingray wrote:
I was told MARLEY is not dead! TRUE...?
 

He's with Elvis. Fact.
I was told MARLEY is not dead! TRUE...?
They're racing through this... must be some different do-dah in those doobies. :-) 
The opening notes had me thinking someone had uploaded Tommy Bolin. Not that I didn't like what it was, but wow I think some Post Toastee would also be mighty tasty!
 shellbella wrote:
I named my cat after this song!!
 
Up yourself? Well, it has a certain ring to it. . . 
i like reggae   BOB dO YOUR  JOB THIS MUSIC WE NEED {#Dance}

The originally recorded album version of this very good song is even better.

I named my cat after this song!!

Fale..
 
AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 


Yes!
And the hits keep comin'  !!
I wonder who are the 87 folks who rated this <5...how can this song not be onomatopoeic?
I just got back from Jamica and somehow Bill must have known this {#Cowboy}

Did you know Bob Marley's father was white?  Just askin'.

This drummer boy is so cool !

                {#Drummer}   

 tprimeau wrote:
This kicks buches of ass.
 
Is "buches" a new measurement of volume or quantity?
 ROSSinDETROIT wrote:
I never got the appeal of Reggae to non-stoned, non-oppressed people.  This is OK but my daily requirement of Reggae has definitely been exceeded already and it's only noon. 
 
Amen.
 rjewyo wrote:
Bounce Baby like Bob{#Dancingbanana_2}
 
I remember his music so well as it was a part of my youth.

Appartements shouted his music through the open windows all summer long! 
This kicks buches of ass.
Bounce Baby like Bob{#Dancingbanana_2}
What a great way to begin a new decade...feelin' irie....;-)
 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 

Are you waxing ironical, Ady?  People are going to think you're an Ugly American.
I can't see the problem with reggae, there isn't wall to wall reggae on RP. I reckon the mix is goooood. 10
 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 
SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!
 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 
Des O'Connor?

AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 
You need to think that sentence through,
 it makes you sound ignorant.
I see you only joined R.P in July and as most of the music played here comes from all over the world you're clearly listening to the wrong station.


 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
  Herman's Hermits?


 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 
I think you're in the wrong place, instead of Radio Paradise you meant to tune in to Radio Aryan White Trash. However if you stick around you might change your misguided ways.

 AdyMiles wrote:
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
 
{#Rolleyes} {#Stupid} {#Shhh}

I'm not sure what you meant, but that sounds really bad.

Besides, Bob was Jamaican. You knew that, right? {#Daisy}
Please please can we have some white english music for a change today?
Love the Monday morning reggae! Cushions the blow of my harsh reality and crappy brainless office job.
 nagsheadlocal wrote:
Hmmm - went to lunch as "No Woman No Cry" was playing, get back and find this on. Are we playing the whole album today? That would be kinda fun, as I'm old enough to remember when rock DJs would put on a whole album side at night (usually while they ran to the bathroom or got high).

My intro to raggae was through my housemate Bob, AKA "Half Man Half Reefer." To this day I can't hear the opening bars of a Marley song without also hearing in the recesses of my memory the unmistakeable bubbling sound of his bong in the next room . . .
 
What an awesome story.  Here's one for you Bob (bubble bubble bubble).

Also lovin this one master to another thing though i see we aren't going to Hendrix next.
Hmmm - went to lunch as "No Woman No Cry" was playing, get back and find this on. Are we playing the whole album today? That would be kinda fun, as I'm old enough to remember when rock DJs would put on a whole album side at night (usually while they ran to the bathroom or got high).

My intro to raggae was through my housemate Bob, AKA "Half Man Half Reefer." To this day I can't hear the opening bars of a Marley song without also hearing in the recesses of my memory the unmistakeable bubbling sound of his bong in the next room . . .
 oldviolin wrote:
Joy is a good thing, in all cases.
 
Absolutely!

That's RP: More reggae, all of the time (an absurd post attached to another track a short while ago).     {#Lol}

Oh, Bob..........you round out my B'Day real nice..............just like a big 'ole tree, you rock my roots....reggae is music broken down to the basics.......dance, dance, dance........and when you are too tired to dance.....play soccer
reggae is best heard with the bass set so you can feel it...
its hard to explain, but it makes a big difference when its loud.
once you get it, you can listen like its background music, but its
almost like you have to calibrate your brain, because it comes from
a different musical place than say rock music.
great song, not his best version tho, Rohan Marley played for the Hurricanes

love this.......LIVELY UP BABY!
i never really got the reggae thing until i visited Bermuda!! 


 toterola wrote:

Some folks just can't listen to music and be happy. They have to deconstruct, examine, explain, dissect, reconstruct, and just plain old find some reason why something just ain't their "cup of tea".
I wish we still had Bob. He wouldn't know what to make of the world today, but he sure would find something to sing about, wouldn't he?
 
I don't think the world's that much more f$%d up now than it was in Bob's/my college time. I think he'd have a lot to say; him and Neil would both have a field day with the Bush lordship!

Oh, I love reggae, but find it in small doses like we get here at RP. Same goes for the Dead, Talking Heads, bands in my college youth I'd listen to ad nauseum (kinda like Porcupine Tree today) that today-small doses are just fine.

Merry Christmas!

 toterola wrote:

Some folks just can't listen to music and be happy. They have to deconstruct, examine, explain, dissect, reconstruct, and just plain old find some reason why something just ain't their "cup of tea".
I wish we still had Bob. He wouldn't know what to make of the world today, but he sure would find something to sing about, wouldn't he?
 

Oh i think he'd recognize this world alright, it would just be the oppression he'd seen in jamaica running amok on a world wide scale, the financial decisions to benefit the few/elite, being paid for by the rest of us....the lack of understanding and lack of humanity......finally the overall feeling that if it's not in my neighborhood then i don't have to worry about it {#Money-mouth}
this song sounds exactly like on "Babylon by Bus"
{#Think}
 nigelr wrote:

Listen to how tight the performance is..........

 
Absolutely, I got into this in 1978 or so when the road crew on the Thin Lizzy "Live & Dangerous' tour blasted this out as the house music. It sounds wildly tight on a full concert PA system.
 

 ROSSinDETROIT wrote:
I never got the appeal of Reggae to non-stoned, non-oppressed people.  This is OK but my daily requirement of Reggae has definitely been exceeded already and it's only noon. 
 
Listen to how tight the performance is..........

I never got the appeal of Reggae to non-stoned, non-oppressed people.  This is OK but my daily requirement of Reggae has definitely been exceeded already and it's only noon. 

OOOOhhh Bless me my lord!
{#Sunny}


Joy is a good thing, in all cases.
Not a big Marley fan - but this is sweet.
Most excellent, but I like the Babylon by Bus recording more. I managed to get a digital copy of that a few wks ago as I can't spin those big old black vinyl tings no moa.
leathepea wrote:
What's with all the negative comments? Its Marley people, relax and just enjoy it.
Some folks just can't listen to music and be happy. They have to deconstruct, examine, explain, dissect, reconstruct, and just plain old find some reason why something just ain't their "cup of tea". I wish we still had Bob. He wouldn't know what to make of the world today, but he sure would find something to sing about, wouldn't he? :angel:
What's with all the negative comments? Its Marley people, relax and just enjoy it.
red5_bc wrote:
Can't we be done with Bob Marley already?
No, because there are too many of us who are still deluded. Maybe if you make more negative comments, we will finally get it.
red5_bc wrote:
Can't we be done with Bob Marley already?
You obviously don't know how to lively up yourself!
red5_bc wrote:
Just tired of Marley, and stupid lily-white college students thinking they're cool for liking him and growing dread-locks.
don't feel bad. plenty of us are tired of you, and of you thinking you're cool because of your "laser-and-evil" reference. i'd write more, but i have to go frizzle my dreads.
red5_bc wrote:
Just tired of Marley, and stupid lily-white college students thinking they're cool for liking him and growing dread-locks.
So you're saying only black adults can like Bob huh?.... :foot-in-mouth:
pomalley wrote:
What are you, high?
Just tired of Marley, and stupid lily-white college students thinking they're cool for liking him and growing dread-locks.
red5_bc wrote:
Can't we be done with Bob Marley already?
You must be :drunk: This is a tuuuuuuuuun!
One of my favorite Marley tunes.
What are you, high? red5_bc wrote:
Can't we be done with Bob Marley already?
Can't we be done with Bob Marley already?
:bounce:
:puke:
Bring on the reggae Bill...this is SOOoooooo good!
You think it was the Dead until you hear him singing. . .
I'm with you Mr.Marley :) :good-vibes:
2 reggae songs per hour is too much :grumpy:
krich58 wrote:
I remember when Marley played at the Roxy. I didn't go because I thought the tix were too expensive ($10). I did see some pretty good shows there, though. Ravi Shankar with Ali AkBar Khan being quite memorable, along with a Tosh show on my B-Day (incredible).
Jeez! $10 was too much to see a music legend!? I'd bet you'd gladly part with 10 times that amount to be able to see him if you only knew what a classic concert that turned out to be!
I remember when Marley played at the Roxy. I didn't go because I thought the tix were too expensive ($10). I did see some pretty good shows there, though. Ravi Shankar with Ali AkBar Khan being quite memorable, along with a Tosh show on my B-Day (incredible).
ch83575 wrote:
I love Marley, but is it just me or does it feel that the band is rushing on this song. Particulaly rythem section. I get the same feeling on most of Babylon too. Still cant beat a little reggae to wake you up on a friday afternoon!
Don't forget: reggae used to be much more up-tempo (think ska) until Marley slowed it down. This version of Lively Up Yourself is faster than his norm, but still slower than much early reggae music.
As opposed to the previous poster, I'm not the biggest Marley fan (respect him, don't love him) but this is one of my favorites. Maybe it's because of the unusually quick pace and sense of urgency, which might turn off a lot of Marley fans.
I love Marley, but is it just me or does it feel that the band is rushing on this song. Particulaly rythem section. I get the same feeling on most of Babylon too. Still cant beat a little reggae to wake you up on a friday afternoon!
Perfect for a Friday afternoon (waiting for beer o'clock)
here here...irie and lively live...ThePoose wrote:
Perfect for evening in the office.
:cheers:
Perfect for evening in the office.
Thought this was Tommy Bolin's "Shake The Devil" for a sec...except of course this is live and he isn't.....
perfect for the morning in the office.... :music:
:good-vibes: this is helping me get through my homework!
cattgirl813 wrote:
I weep for people like this because they just don't know the goodness they are missing. :cry:
:cry: yea, me too! ... such closed hearts and minds, poor wee thingz :pray:
Why all the bad vibes for such a good-vibes song?! The best Marley? No. But great energy. No lively up yourself and listen to the Bop... :whipit:
cattgirl813 wrote:
I weep for people like this because they just don't know the goodness they are missing. :cry:
You don't have to weep for me, I like reggae, but this cut does very little for me.