[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Grateful Dead — Shakedown Street
Album: Shakedown Street
Avg rating:
5.6

Your rating:
Total ratings: 299









Released: 1978
Length: 4:47
Plays (last 30 days): 0
You're tellin me this town ain't got no heart
Well, well, well, you can never tell
The sunny side of the street is dark
Well, well, well, you can never tell
Maybe that's cause it's midnight,
In the dark of the moon besides

Maybe the dark is from your eyes
Maybe the dark is from your eyes
Maybe the dark is from your eyes
You know you got such dark eyes

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street
Used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
You just gotta poke around

You think you've seen this town clear through
Well, well, well, you can never tell
Nothin' here that could interest you
Well, well, well, you can never tell
It's not because you missed out
On the thing that we had, to start

Maybe you had too much too fast
Maybe you had too much too fast
Maybe you had too much too fast

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street
Used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
You just gotta poke around

Since I'm passing your way today
Well, well, well, you can never tell
I just stopped in cause I want to say
Well, well, well, you can never tell
I recall your darkness
When it crackled like a thundercloud

Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
When I can hear it beat out loud

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street
Used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
You just gotta poke around

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street
Used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
You just gotta poke around
Comments (88)add comment
 haljordan wrote:
This should be a Halloween only selection because it's so creepy.

 
!
Organic beet - yet still creepy.
 ScottFromWyoming wrote:

"This sucks" doesn't do it justice. This song could cause nuns to commit crimes.

If you want me to be an analyst and evaluate songs only on technical merit, fine. It's a 3. Which is way better than I could do.  The Dead, especially on this track, sound lifeless (Ha!) and for god's sake it's disco, which is the whore-iest thing in the world for a band like the Dead. When the Stones did disco, you could sort of accept it because they experimented with a  lot of styles including reggae, before that. But technical merit is about the least important thing in rock & roll. The Blasters are a 10 because they're that important to me. I don't give a rip if they're only 4s for you... if you'd seen them when I saw them, you'd probably give them 7s or 8s and if you were in the same state of mind as me, they'd be a 10. I don't give 10s to songs I think are "quite well played." I don't even consider that aspect. I give 10s to songs that make me glad to be alive.
 
And 1s to songs... 
 
First point funny and second point true. That's my kind of post.   {#Lol} {#Clap}
Very few escaped the disco trend at the time. The stones did thier bit too. Same thing with rap. All were influenced.
I truly despise this song.
Miss ya, Jer.
This should be a Halloween only selection because it's so creepy.
Having heard Phish cover "Sneaking Sally" a few times, I love the transition into "Shakedown". Thanks, Bill!
Disco Dead
I don't get or enjoy Grateful Dead normally...but this indeed is a fun tune. Tappin' the foot as I type.{#Bananajam}
lighten up people.  its fun.{#Dancingbanana_2}
Never heard this before. Never want to hear it again.
Surprised to hear it on RP, Surprised to learn it's by the the Grateful Dead.
I give the album cover an eight.

don't tell me RP's got no heart, just gotta poke around!
a touch of walter becker in there
Thelonious Monk it ain't, but it's still kinda fun! Don't be so serious y'all!{#Moon}
I had no idea that this is the Grateful Dead...it's such a surprise that it's fun
Disco, Disco Dead...(quack, quack).
Wow..surprised by the haters...I like the groove, disco or not.
Jerry Garcia is known to have LOVED disco.  He felt that it got a bad rap. lol

I think he actually did a couple of disco albums with Merl Saunders, but I'm not sure... Maybe one of y'all Deadheads can help me out here?

Listened almost all the way through before looking to see who it was.  The Dead?!   Would never have guessed.  They must have made this to fulfill (and get out of) some really bad contract.
 newwavegurly wrote:
Wow, a song by The Dead that doesn't sound like a whole bunch of musical masturbation. Who knew? I know I didn't.
 
Because you were too busy masturbating.

 j7 wrote:
Holy disco hippy hell.
 
hippy skippie


 livemuzc wrote:

haha...this is their disco era music!!! the best disco i've heard!!!!

 
OH , I see some of you agree....now that i scroll down....

 DigitalJer wrote:
Have to agree with so many others - this album may not be the Dead's finest...yet we accept it anyway, even like it.  Maybe that's Dead Bias showing through.
 
haha...this is their disco era music!!! the best disco i've heard!!!!


Have to agree with so many others - this album may not be the Dead's finest...yet we accept it anyway, even like it.  Maybe that's Dead Bias showing through.

I used to stare into this cover as a kid and try to figure out all the freaks...until one day I realized my parents were among them :)

Holy disco hippy hell.
Yuk!
This song is not their best (duh), but I have a soft spot for the album. It reminds me of college. :)

Disco wore out a while ago. Sadly dated.

worst song ever. . .

I always get a chuckle from listening to Jerry & Co do disco
Wow, a song by The Dead that doesn't sound like a whole bunch of musical masturbation. Who knew? I know I didn't.
Lovin some Disco Dead
Great to hear KC and the Sunshine band again....

i bought the dress i wore yesterday, and many other days on shakedown street.
sure its overproduced but this is funky as all get out! 9!


Grateful Dead - "Shakedown Street" Live (1981) . For hardcore hippies, "Shakedown Street" was The Grateful Dead's nadir, as they moved from the arty jazz-rock epics of Wake of The Flood and Terrapin Station to a radio-friendly light-funk sound.

Jerry Garcia : lead guitar, vocals
Bob Weir : rhythm guitar, vocals
Brent Mydland : keyboards, vocals
Phil Lesh : bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann : drums, percussion
Mickey Hart : drums, percussion


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
No aspect of this deserves more than a 1. Most 1 songs have something vaguely redeeming but this is the worst thing in the world. Honestly. It is not good.
 

You know, I pretty much love the Dead, but I agree with you on this song.  Cheeze Whiz from Hell.
disco dead {#Bananajam}
 Tombanjo wrote:


Ok, I gotta bite.  Why is this such a terrible song?  I noted from your song ratings, you have many Blasters songs rated a 10.  The Blasters were a good fun band with lots of energy, but even by rock standards, I can scarcely consider their songs a 10.  Meanwhile, the Dead had strong song writing, pretty good technical skills (although vocally a bit weak), and plenty of energy, albeit not always relying on the typical rock beat/rhythm.  It seems the rating is more an emotional opinion, rather than a true reflection of the song writing, playing...which is fine, it is only rock and roll. But in that case, simple this sucks would suffice, rather than implying there is nothing redeeming...worst thing in the world...
 
"This sucks" doesn't do it justice. This song could cause nuns to commit crimes.

If you want me to be an analyst and evaluate songs only on technical merit, fine. It's a 3. Which is way better than I could do.  The Dead, especially on this track, sound lifeless (Ha!) and for god's sake it's disco, which is the whore-iest thing in the world for a band like the Dead. When the Stones did disco, you could sort of accept it because they experimented with a  lot of styles including reggae, before that. But technical merit is about the least important thing in rock & roll. The Blasters are a 10 because they're that important to me. I don't give a rip if they're only 4s for you... if you'd seen them when I saw them, you'd probably give them 7s or 8s and if you were in the same state of mind as me, they'd be a 10. I don't give 10s to songs I think are "quite well played." I don't even consider that aspect. I give 10s to songs that make me glad to be alive.
 
And 1s to songs... 
 Tombanjo wrote:
That album cover rocks... and some pretty tasty licks by the maestro. 
 
Cover by Gilbert Shelton (of Fabuluous Furry Freak Brothers fame).

Bill, you fell down on this one especially after PG's Mercy Street.

Never liked this Dead song. Sounds like Nile Rodgers produced it.
 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
No aspect of this deserves more than a 1. Most 1 songs have something vaguely redeeming but this is the worst thing in the world. Honestly. It is not good.
 

Ok, I gotta bite.  Why is this such a terrible song?  I noted from your song ratings, you have many Blasters songs rated a 10.  The Blasters were a good fun band with lots of energy, but even by rock standards, I can scarcely consider their songs a 10.  Meanwhile, the Dead had strong song writing, pretty good technical skills (although vocally a bit weak), and plenty of energy, albeit not always relying on the typical rock beat/rhythm.  It seems the rating is more an emotional opinion, rather than a true reflection of the song writing, playing...which is fine, it is only rock and roll. But in that case, simple this sucks would suffice, rather than implying there is nothing redeeming...worst thing in the world...
No aspect of this deserves more than a 1. Most 1 songs have something vaguely redeeming but this is the worst thing in the world. Honestly. It is not good.
Just heard The Dead are touring in April and May-gotta see them! {#Bananasplit}
That album cover rocks... and some pretty tasty licks by the maestro. 
This is really not very good. It surprises me that RP plays it when there is so much better material from the Dead than this.
I didn't know the Dead ever went Disco. {#Eek}
The Dead—never better than okayish—at their worst.

whats wrong people - you dont like a groovy grateful dead
As has been noted by others, this song is so much better in a live version. In concert they could weave it into any number of complex tapestries along with other fragments and complete songs. My high rating is based on what they did with this piece, not the studio version.
holy cow! that's the second song of them I quite like . . .{#Think}

GUACALA  {#Puke}
 gregorbill wrote:
Wow. This is embarrassingly bad. When did they trade the patchouli for the coke spoon?

 

the dead and coke?  oh maybe 1971 or so.....

maybe you had too much too fast!!  {#Motor}
morelike there are Deadheads who would rather hear any of 5,000 live versions of this song, rather than the studio gloss mix.

 
erichb wrote:


Agreed. I'm sure there are Deadheads who hate this song because the band produced a song that sounded different from their usual stuff.
 


Ten bananas.

BananajamDancingbanana_2DancingbananaBananajumpropeBananapianoBananasplitBananajamDancingbanana_2DancingbananaBananasplit
Shakedown Street is a great song and to those who think they sold out with it should listen to the rest of that album which sounds nothing like that one song. Trey Anastasio said it best in reference to those who don't like this type of music. In essence, don't hate the music because so many people enjoy something that you just don't understand.
erichb wrote:
Agreed. I'm sure there are Deadheads who hate this song because the band produced a song that sounded different from their usual stuff.
One word: Disco.
I sit here slack-jawed in amazement....
weevilkinevil wrote:
I don't see how the rating for this song can be 5.8! This is a great song!
Agreed. I'm sure there are Deadheads who hate this song because the band produced a song that sounded different from their usual stuff.
Incredibly weak after following Marvin Gaye.
weevilkinevil wrote:
I don't see how the rating for this song can be 5.8! This is a great song!
Because you either love or hate the Grateful Dead. Personally, I hate them.
I don't see how the rating for this song can be 5.8! This is a great song!
You just turned my day from very stressful to very happy.
This song always cracks me up! The Dead do Disco!
:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:
:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana_2: :bananasplit:
redeyespy wrote:
I keep waiting for Jerry to pass the mic to David Naughton.
Keep waiting. Keep on Truckin.
Can't wait to see what comes next in this plate tectonics set. Let me guess, Bill, you're sitting right on ol' San Andreas there in Paradise?
I keep waiting for Jerry to pass the mic to David Naughton.
Boosiewolf wrote:
I had NO IDEA the Dead did disco. Excellent.
Yeah, for some reason they got caught up in the whole disco thing. I could NEVER figure that one out :lol: Jerry must have been in one of his less lucid phases when they produced this album :lol:
I had NO IDEA the Dead did disco. Excellent.
oldslabsides wrote:
yeah, it is Disco Dead....it's just good fun, lighten up
....yah, and it's not "Do You Think I'm Sexy" with Rod Stewart....which is *not* fun... :)
Fun song!!! As always... better live... and would have been sweet with horns, to really get that disco sound.
yeah, it is Disco Dead....it's just good fun, lighten up
camden_hampden wrote:
There is very little worse than a band you really don't like for what they have been for so long selling out. I don't know what to hate them for more.
Hate them most for not being more like you.
There is very little worse than a band you really don't like for what they have been for so long selling out. I don't know what to hate them for more.
Disco-dead
I don't care what any of you say.....I needed some perky Dead right about now!! :cowboy:
PORNO MUSIC
Wow. This is embarrassingly bad. When did they trade the patchouli for the coke spoon?
Conventional wisdom regarding the Grateful Dead is that the real magic happened in concert; the studio recordings are generally found lacking. Shakedown Street is a prime example of this thinking. Even as a die-hard deadhead, I really can't find anything worth listening to in the studio version of this song. However, there are some incredible rockin', high-energy live versions of this song out there. If anyone has the So Many Roads box set, please upload the Shakedown Street from New Year's Eve 1984. Then everybody can hear what this song is really all about!
Lame. Disco hippies.
Ah, the disco era influences another rock band.
Ev-edy-boddy--Deeesco! :iamwith: