[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - Steely_D - Aug 4, 2020 - 7:03pm
 
Breaking News - Steely_D - Aug 4, 2020 - 7:02pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - westslope - Aug 4, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
Name My Band - buddy - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:34pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Aug 4, 2020 - 3:17pm
 
Trump - R_P - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:55pm
 
RightWingNutZ - kcar - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
Band Suggestion - toddpthayer - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:13pm
 
Neil Young - buddy - Aug 4, 2020 - 1:01pm
 
China - R_P - Aug 4, 2020 - 11:46am
 
RP Streaming Keeps Stopping - BillG - Aug 4, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Coaxial - Aug 4, 2020 - 10:10am
 
NASA & other news from space - miamizsun - Aug 4, 2020 - 9:14am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Prodigal_SOB - Aug 4, 2020 - 8:05am
 
People who never came to Gilligan's Island - Proclivities - Aug 4, 2020 - 8:02am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Steely_D - Aug 4, 2020 - 6:35am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 4, 2020 - 5:35am
 
Economix - rexi - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:32am
 
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone - rhahl - Aug 3, 2020 - 2:21pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Aug 3, 2020 - 2:10pm
 
Better Together - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 1:22pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - the_jake - Aug 3, 2020 - 11:55am
 
Celebrity Deaths - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2020 - 11:49am
 
Reccomended System or Powered Speakers - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 10:42am
 
BACK TO THE 80's - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:40am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:01am
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:59am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:43am
 
Florida - kcar - Aug 2, 2020 - 11:43pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - R_P - Aug 2, 2020 - 8:46pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 4:42pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 2:46pm
 
Republican Party - westslope - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:42pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 11:41am
 
Little Feat tour - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 9:51am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2020 - 9:10am
 
TV shows you watch - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 8:59am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - norbertZ - Aug 2, 2020 - 5:58am
 
Fire TV App - Lyrics, Comments, Wiki, Play history - MarcsRadio - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:32am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:51pm
 
Outstanding Covers - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:41pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:42pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Isabeau - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:37pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - edz - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:40pm
 
What are you listening to now? - hobiejoe - Aug 1, 2020 - 2:38pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:49pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:14pm
 
Democratic Party - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:12pm
 
How are you coping/dealing with the crisis? - marko86 - Aug 1, 2020 - 11:03am
 
How's the weather? - Proclivities - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:40am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:23am
 
Favorite Quotes - ScottN - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:22am
 
RP stops playing after a few minutes on Samsung Smart TV ... - MarcsRadio - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:28am
 
Misogynistic Attitudes Toward Women - Isabeau - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Questions. - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 7:43am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Aug 1, 2020 - 6:22am
 
A little bit of help testing the iOS app is needed... - Ohmsen - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:09am
 
Floyd forum - Ohmsen - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:49am
 
What Did You See Today? - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:25am
 
Trump Lies - Steely_D - Jul 31, 2020 - 6:07pm
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - R_P - Jul 31, 2020 - 1:06pm
 
Love & Hate - Red_Dragon - Jul 31, 2020 - 9:59am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - Proclivities - Jul 31, 2020 - 7:16am
 
Mars Exploration Rover Mission Status - R_P - Jul 30, 2020 - 10:53pm
 
Automotive Lust - islander - Jul 30, 2020 - 6:58pm
 
Google Home - apsteinmetz - Jul 30, 2020 - 12:55pm
 
Make Scott laugh - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 30, 2020 - 10:44am
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - miamizsun - Jul 30, 2020 - 9:35am
 
Regarding cats - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Movie Recommendation - KarmaKarma - Jul 29, 2020 - 9:26pm
 
Bolivia - westslope - Jul 29, 2020 - 1:52pm
 
A bit of light. - Proclivities - Jul 29, 2020 - 12:39pm
 
Republican Wingnut Freak of the Day - Red_Dragon - Jul 29, 2020 - 5:11am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » About RP » Baseball, anyone? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 1742, 1743, 1744  Next
Post to this Topic
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:05am

 kcar wrote:
I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 
 It may serve some useful purpose.  In our first game against the Brewers they got close to having a bench clearing brawl because everyone could now hear all the trash talking from the other dugout.  The following day they turned the volume up.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:04am

 zevon wrote:

First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
 
I think it may give a small advantage to the away team.  Assuming you don't score in the top half of an inning it doesn't hurt you to walk a batter to set up a double play in the bottom half.  Also strange is the situation where a team's best base stealer comes up with two away and first open.  Do you walk him so he doesn't start out on second the next inning should there be one?
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:53pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
 

I hear you, but something about the whole arrangement seemed forced, empty and even a little creepy. I'm getting the feeling that MLB will have to shut down: a lot of players are testing positive. 

As for the NFL, we'll have to see but there's a greater chance of transmission between players from what I've read. Eight players from the Patriots have opted out of the season and the team's linebacker corps is reduced to question marks. You have to ask if it's really worth the trouble of trying to play a season. My preference is to have leagues not play the season unless they can keep players in a bubble. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:47pm



 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:41pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 9:26pm

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 
First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:10am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
 

   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:53am



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
 

I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:29am

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
ScottN

ScottN Avatar

Location: Half inch above the K/T boundary
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 11:21pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Careful what you wish for...
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 4:23pm

Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:48am

 steeler wrote:


 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
 
Rants likely to get worse once football season gets closer. {#Lol} I hope you and yours are well! {#Cheers}

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:14am



 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 7:19am

Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 1, 2020 - 8:38pm

Cannot believe that MLB does not require masks in the dugout. W.T.F.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 6:55pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Nice to see that Strope is still completely worthless.
 

   Up until 2019 Strop had really good numbers.   It's natural to think closers and late inning high leverage guys are doing worse than they really are because they're the ones who get to lose the games you thought you had won.  The real problem was Joe continuing to use him in those situations far longer than I would have.  That said I would not be that surprised to see him get his mojo back in the not too distant future, hopefully not while we're playing them.   It's Grimm who really only had the one good year that I was happy to see in a brewers jersey this year.   His ERA is now at 27.0 thanks to the Cubbies.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 5:25pm

Nice to see that Strope is still completely worthless.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 4:52pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 
  You know of course that it's not their choice.  The edict came down from on high from the new corporate weasels who have probably never been to a baseball game in their lives.  I feel sorry for them and really appreciate the sacrifice they are making so that I get to watch all the games again.  They're true heroes in my book.
 

Oh, totally agree.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 4:46pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Lose the shirts & ties; it's baseball, not the fucking news.
 
 
  You know of course that it's not their choice.  The edict came down from on high from the new corporate weasels who have probably never been to a baseball game in their lives.  I feel sorry for them and really appreciate the sacrifice they are making so that I get to watch all the games again.  They're true heroes in my book.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 4:03pm

Lose the shirts & ties; it's baseball, not the fucking news.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 1742, 1743, 1744  Next