[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Impeachment Time: - steeler - Jan 26, 2020 - 9:24am
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - Antigone - Jan 26, 2020 - 9:10am
 
What are you listening to now? - SeriousLee - Jan 26, 2020 - 8:15am
 
Pandemics and Rights - miamizsun - Jan 26, 2020 - 7:39am
 
Ask the Libertarian - Lazy8 - Jan 26, 2020 - 7:14am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jan 26, 2020 - 7:03am
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Jan 26, 2020 - 6:43am
 
Things that make you cautiously optimistic - miamizsun - Jan 26, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Neil Young - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 6:26pm
 
Democratic Party - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 4:41pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - Red_Dragon - Jan 25, 2020 - 4:34pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - Chuck1 - Jan 25, 2020 - 4:25pm
 
Official date for our 20th Anniversary? - buddy - Jan 25, 2020 - 1:10pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 12:38pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 11:57am
 
Brazil - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 11:18am
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - SeriousLee - Jan 25, 2020 - 10:42am
 
Mars - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 10:27am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - SeriousLee - Jan 25, 2020 - 9:42am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - SeriousLee - Jan 25, 2020 - 9:39am
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Jan 25, 2020 - 12:09am
 
Name My Band - Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2020 - 7:46pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Coaxial - Jan 24, 2020 - 7:29pm
 
RP Windows Desktop Notification Applet - gvajda - Jan 24, 2020 - 5:54pm
 
Way Cool Video - Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2020 - 5:22pm
 
Automotive Lust - Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2020 - 5:09pm
 
We need some new car names - jahgirl8 - Jan 24, 2020 - 4:00pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jan 24, 2020 - 3:11pm
 
how do you feel right now? - Antigone - Jan 24, 2020 - 2:38pm
 
Iran - jahgirl8 - Jan 24, 2020 - 2:32pm
 
THREE WORDS - jahgirl8 - Jan 24, 2020 - 2:27pm
 
A motivational quote - jahgirl8 - Jan 24, 2020 - 2:23pm
 
Interesting Art - Proclivities - Jan 24, 2020 - 1:36pm
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2020 - 11:23am
 
Economix - R_P - Jan 24, 2020 - 10:49am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Jan 24, 2020 - 10:10am
 
Acting - R_P - Jan 24, 2020 - 9:55am
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - black321 - Jan 24, 2020 - 9:44am
 
Strange & Cool Music - Proclivities - Jan 24, 2020 - 9:32am
 
Animal Resistance - cc_rider - Jan 24, 2020 - 9:15am
 
Recommended documentaries - cc_rider - Jan 24, 2020 - 9:05am
 
Documentaries - Proclivities - Jan 24, 2020 - 6:39am
 
Florida - miamizsun - Jan 24, 2020 - 5:31am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jan 24, 2020 - 2:48am
 
Croatia - EdSe - Jan 24, 2020 - 12:06am
 
Bad News / Good News - haresfur - Jan 23, 2020 - 4:11pm
 
Music News - miamizsun - Jan 23, 2020 - 3:28pm
 
WTF??!! - Antigone - Jan 23, 2020 - 3:04pm
 
The war on funk is over! - Ohmsen - Jan 23, 2020 - 12:59pm
 
Jazz - Ohmsen - Jan 23, 2020 - 12:41pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - Ohmsen - Jan 23, 2020 - 12:23pm
 
punk? hip-hop? metal? noise? garage? - Ohmsen - Jan 23, 2020 - 12:21pm
 
SFW & Gluttony Pants - Proclivities - Jan 23, 2020 - 9:23am
 
songs that ROCK! - sirdroseph - Jan 23, 2020 - 7:05am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Jan 23, 2020 - 3:53am
 
Your app for Mac needs an update - gtufano - Jan 22, 2020 - 11:36pm
 
RP and Sonos - jarro - Jan 22, 2020 - 5:04pm
 
The Obituary Page - buddy - Jan 22, 2020 - 2:56pm
 
What Do You Want From RP? - buddy - Jan 22, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
Movie Quote - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 22, 2020 - 10:32am
 
A Sad Day, Indeed - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 22, 2020 - 7:09am
 
Goodnight everyone! - Proclivities - Jan 22, 2020 - 4:06am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Egctheow - Jan 22, 2020 - 1:14am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - BlueHeronDruid - Jan 21, 2020 - 11:33pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jan 21, 2020 - 10:37pm
 
ONE WORD - buddy - Jan 21, 2020 - 9:24pm
 
Internet Addict?? - BlueHeronDruid - Jan 21, 2020 - 7:09pm
 
The Global War on Terror - R_P - Jan 21, 2020 - 3:54pm
 
What Did You See Today? - oldviolin - Jan 21, 2020 - 2:34pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Jan 21, 2020 - 2:26pm
 
A History of Violence - R_P - Jan 21, 2020 - 12:09pm
 
TWO WORDS - oldviolin - Jan 21, 2020 - 10:51am
 
Baseball, anyone? - kcar - Jan 21, 2020 - 7:52am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - buddy - Jan 21, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Classical Music - R_P - Jan 21, 2020 - 12:07am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Critical Thought
Post to this Topic
jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Dec 21, 2019 - 12:39am



 hayduke2 wrote:

That is SUPER Proclivities!
Image result for cesar romero joker surfing


Saw this fun set earlier this morning "Holy Hang Ten!!!"  : )

 
❥ look at those cute surfboards! ❥
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 12:09pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:

 islander wrote:
Two spoilers teasers geezers in the same review. 
 
 

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 11:18am



 islander wrote:


 
 

Two spoilers teasers in the same review. 
 


islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 9:36am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
 

I checked out the audiobook of Factfulness yesterday and damn that guy needs an editor. Or the publisher had him fluff it up. Each chapter so far could have been a really fun blog post but (on audio) it seems to loop back on itself (repetition isn't by definition bad, especially when delivering new material) and the guy reading it is taking his time, so I don't know if I will finish in this format. I almost ended up in a ditch a couple of times.

Plus it assumes the reader didn't get any of the "questions" right. Which is fine, for the first few, but he should give me credit for being at least as smart as a chimpanzee and stop acting like I'm going to be surprised by the big reveal that each chapter has formatted into it: that common knowledge on the question is wrong.

I have a bit of a quibble with him demanding statistical literacy, and then using pure numbers when they support his argument, and proportions when those work better.

The 4 "layers" (vs developed/developing 2 layers of civilization) is interesting but 3 chapters in and he's already defending it against people who must be telling him that it puts all of "us" in the same group as Saudi kings and Bill Gates etc. and so we shouldn't gripe so much; and/or he's making it seem 1,2,3 are so far removed from any poverty in the US that there is no poverty in the US. So anyway, in trying to make us/me feel better about things, he's sort of pissing me off. Even though he does a good job of addressing those problems people have challenged him on. 

He just got into demographics/population and I did have to back it up and re-listen; I've read this explanation of where our population is headed and the fallacy of the straight line, but the audiobook of it was hard to follow the first time. 

Anyway, I'm sure I'm absorbing enough of it that I'll spout some figures and philosophies from it at parties, so hey! 

 

Two spoilers in the same review. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 7:55am



 miamizsun wrote:


i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
 

I checked out the audiobook of Factfulness yesterday and damn that guy needs an editor. Or the publisher had him fluff it up. Each chapter so far could have been a really fun blog post but (on audio) it seems to loop back on itself (repetition isn't by definition bad, especially when delivering new material) and the guy reading it is taking his time, so I don't know if I will finish in this format. I almost ended up in a ditch a couple of times.

Plus it assumes the reader didn't get any of the "questions" right. Which is fine, for the first few, but he should give me credit for being at least as smart as a chimpanzee and stop acting like I'm going to be surprised by the big reveal that each chapter has formatted into it: that common knowledge on the question is wrong.

I have a bit of a quibble with him demanding statistical literacy, and then using pure numbers when they support his argument, and proportions when those work better.

The 4 "layers" (vs developed/developing 2 layers of civilization) is interesting but 3 chapters in and he's already defending it against people who must be telling him that it puts all of "us" in the same group as Saudi kings and Bill Gates etc. and so we shouldn't gripe so much; and/or he's making it seem 1,2,3 are so far removed from any poverty in the US that there is no poverty in the US. So anyway, in trying to make us/me feel better about things, he's sort of pissing me off. Even though he does a good job of addressing those problems people have challenged him on. 

He just got into demographics/population and I did have to back it up and re-listen; I've read this explanation of where our population is headed and the fallacy of the straight line, but the audiobook of it was hard to follow the first time. 

Anyway, I'm sure I'm absorbing enough of it that I'll spout some figures and philosophies from it at parties, so hey! 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 8:34am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:
ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

 
Which have you read and which are you going to read next?

/SantasHelper

 

i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 7:29am



 miamizsun wrote:
ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

 
Which have you read and which are you going to read next?

/SantasHelper

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 4:31am

ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

hayduke2

hayduke2 Avatar

Location: Southampton, NY
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 8:58am

 Proclivities wrote:


 
That is SUPER Proclivities!
Image result for cesar romero joker surfing

Saw this fun set earlier this morning "Holy Hang Ten!!!"  : )

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 8:29am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
How's the weather?

 
Here in this part of NC it's clear but breezy now.  About 3 hours east of here they apparently had 100+ mph winds and some tornadoes overnight.  Pretty serious flooding along the coasts of both Carolinas.  The barrier islands, which are farther east and north of here, got clobbered this morning - flooding, no power.  Residents of Ocracoke Island (ones who ignored the evacuation orders) are apparently stranded out there.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 7:59am



 Proclivities wrote:

 
How's the weather?

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 7:35am


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2019 - 7:05am


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: May 22, 2019 - 10:06am


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 22, 2019 - 9:08am


sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:58am

 Proclivities wrote:


 sirdroseph wrote:
 

True, but unfortunately that picture doesn't really need a time or place in its title.

 
This is true but the digital age of instant mass communication and social media clearly exacerbates and intensifies the phenomenon. 
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:40am



 sirdroseph wrote:

 

True, but unfortunately that picture doesn't really need a time or place in its title.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:31am


haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 24, 2019 - 2:20pm



 Proclivities wrote:
Breathless

 

oddly satisfying 
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 24, 2019 - 6:48am

Breathless