[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

How you coping/dealing with the crisis? - Prodigal_SOB - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
2020 Elections - KarmaKarma - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:39pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - triskele - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:37pm
 
Environment - R_P - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:32pm
 
Economix - R_P - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:23pm
 
John Prine - Paradise - Peabody Energy on verge of Ch... - lowelltr - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
The Moon - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:08pm
 
The Obituary Page - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 8, 2020 - 2:06pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - BlueHeronDruid - Apr 8, 2020 - 1:36pm
 
Trump - R_P - Apr 8, 2020 - 12:56pm
 
COVID-19 - black321 - Apr 8, 2020 - 11:47am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Apr 8, 2020 - 10:58am
 
Trump Lies - Proclivities - Apr 8, 2020 - 10:10am
 
Republican Party - KarmaKarma - Apr 8, 2020 - 10:07am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oldviolin - Apr 8, 2020 - 10:00am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Apr 8, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Apr 8, 2020 - 8:45am
 
Amazing animals! - miamizsun - Apr 8, 2020 - 8:38am
 
Breaking News - Red_Dragon - Apr 8, 2020 - 8:27am
 
Bad News / Good News - sunybuny - Apr 8, 2020 - 6:00am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Proclivities - Apr 8, 2020 - 4:01am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Apr 8, 2020 - 1:08am
 
M.A.G.A. - R_P - Apr 7, 2020 - 11:46pm
 
How are you coping/dealing with the crisis? - kurtster - Apr 7, 2020 - 3:58pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - kcar - Apr 7, 2020 - 3:02pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - Steely_D - Apr 7, 2020 - 1:56pm
 
NASA & other news from space - miamizsun - Apr 7, 2020 - 8:44am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Red_Dragon - Apr 7, 2020 - 8:02am
 
Radiohead - miamizsun - Apr 7, 2020 - 6:37am
 
Chicken your way - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 9:32pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - ScottN - Apr 6, 2020 - 8:33pm
 
Things You Thought Today - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 7:00pm
 
Favorite Scriptures...Leave Pontificating at the Door - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 6:29pm
 
Let Him Swing? - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 5:14pm
 
Urban Chickens - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 5:04pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - kcar - Apr 6, 2020 - 4:33pm
 
Questions. - jahgirl8 - Apr 6, 2020 - 4:00pm
 
Way Cool Video - miamizsun - Apr 6, 2020 - 9:40am
 
Surfing! - miamizsun - Apr 6, 2020 - 9:34am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Blackbirds - Apr 6, 2020 - 3:07am
 
Australia - R_P - Apr 5, 2020 - 8:28pm
 
Canada - R_P - Apr 5, 2020 - 6:00pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Apr 5, 2020 - 5:09pm
 
Windows app: how to change stream/channel? - BillG - Apr 5, 2020 - 3:33pm
 
Bob Dylan - Steely_D - Apr 5, 2020 - 2:11pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Apr 5, 2020 - 12:04pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Apr 5, 2020 - 8:25am
 
April Fool's Day - haresfur - Apr 4, 2020 - 7:46pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Apr 4, 2020 - 7:00pm
 
What can you hear right now? - haresfur - Apr 4, 2020 - 4:35pm
 
Name My Band - haresfur - Apr 4, 2020 - 4:34pm
 
Amazon Prime Members - Free Streaming of Selected Movies ... - Isabeau - Apr 4, 2020 - 3:42pm
 
Embedding Tweets - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:22pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Apr 4, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Today in History - hayduke2 - Apr 4, 2020 - 8:00am
 
The war on funk is over! - R_P - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:27am
 
Earthquake in So. Cal - kurtster - Apr 3, 2020 - 10:09pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Coaxial - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:52pm
 
Apropos of Nothing - miamizsun - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:44pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - Coaxial - Apr 3, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
What Are You Grateful For? - jahgirl8 - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:42pm
 
Photos you have taken of yourself - jahgirl8 - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:33pm
 
Fox Spews - R_P - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:09pm
 
Thanks to BillG & Rebecca! - KTlistening - Apr 3, 2020 - 2:34pm
 
♥ ♥ ♥ Vote For Pie ♥ ♥ ♥ - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 3, 2020 - 1:35pm
 
Things that are just WRONG - Isabeau - Apr 3, 2020 - 1:24pm
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Apr 3, 2020 - 10:07am
 
R.I.P. Bill Withers - westslope - Apr 3, 2020 - 9:54am
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Apr 3, 2020 - 5:20am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - sunybuny - Apr 3, 2020 - 5:12am
 
The alternate universe - BlueHeronDruid - Apr 3, 2020 - 12:26am
 
New Zealand - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Apr 2, 2020 - 11:55pm
 
Last gas price paid? - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 2, 2020 - 10:08pm
 
Rhetorical questions - kurtster - Apr 2, 2020 - 8:38pm
 
Flower Pictures - Antigone - Apr 2, 2020 - 5:54pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » 2020 Elections Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post to this Topic
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 2:39pm

"This once-in-a-lifetime deadly pandemic has already accomplished what socialism aims to do," Sanders said in his concession speech.

Bernie Sanders Drops Out As Campaign Goals Of Locking Everyone Up, Destroying Economy Already Achieved


https://babylonbee.com/news/bernie-sanders-drops-out-as-campaign-goals-of-locking-everyone-up-destroying-economy-already-achieved

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 1:16pm



 steeler wrote:
Ideas matter. Repeat. Ideas matter. I want to believe that. I do believe that. Ideas have power. Bernie has left a mark, an indelible one.

Forward!
 

don't forget to click your heels together three times when you say that  

i can tell you from personal experience it makes me feel better


steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 11:28am

Ideas matter. Repeat. Ideas matter. I want to believe that. I do believe that. Ideas have power. Bernie has left a mark, an indelible one.

Forward!
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 11:13am



 marko86 wrote:
And that is how we ended up with trump.
 
Biden isn't a woman, and people actually believed the Trump BS about being successful and a good negotiator.  

marko86

marko86 Avatar

Location: North TX
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 11:09am



 Steely_D wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
Great. Now we get to choose between two rapists for president. Great.
 

Two men arguing about things they don't remember accurately.

You know, I think this has pretty much put me in the category of folks who think that politics isn't worth thinking about.
 

And that is how we ended up with trump.
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 11:05am



 Red_Dragon wrote:
Great. Now we get to choose between two rapists for president. Great.
 

Two men arguing about things they don't remember accurately.

You know, I think this has pretty much put me in the category of folks who think that politics isn't worth thinking about.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 9:08am



 Lazy8 wrote:
westslope wrote:
Conventional wisdom is institutional?     Not sure I follow.  Perhaps you could elaborate.

Yes, of course. A set of assumptions that have been adopted as right and proper for so long that no one examines them anymore.

Like using Imperial units of measure. No one questions it and suggesting something else might work better is seen as unpatriotic, because of course we use miles and gallons! What are we, savages?

And sirdroseph is correct: there is absolutely nothing in our constitution dictating that vetting candidates for the ballot must be subcontracted to political parties—and only to two of them at that. Or that Congress be divided up by party, or that party leadership have any role recognized by  the state. These are all accretions of tradition, accidents of history that have become institutions that most people dare not question. None of them exist as a matter of law.
 

Points well made.  Rich western democracy politics tends to be almost universally dominated by party politics.  From a resource mobilization perspective it makes perfect sense.

The counterfactual to what I stated or my underlying bias, is that some countries with presidential systems have multiple, relatively strong political parties.
 
Full disclosure:  I am not a fan of the presidential system where the elected president fulfills the roles of both head of state and head of government.   Those roles should be separate.  
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 8:43am

Great. Now we get to choose between two rapists for president. Great.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 9, 2020 - 5:15pm

Isabeau wrote:
Woa. The hair splitting on selective outrage could crochet a FEMA disaster tarp. 

Who's your daddy?
Isabeau

Isabeau Avatar

Location: sou' tex
Gender: Female


Posted: Mar 8, 2020 - 8:39pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
Red_Dragon wrote:

I know you want to see this as a ruling class vs. the proletariat thing, but neither of these kids control who their parents are or what options their families can give them. Yeah, their daddies are both rich, and you could argue that neither of those daddies deserve to be. What does that imply about their children?

What would be your preferred alternative? These two shouldn't be friendly? Should they spit at each other? Should one stick to Martha's Vineyard and the other to Mar-a-Lago?

They are showing more tolerance and grace than most people posting here. Good on 'em. Party on, ladies—get to know each other, listen to each other, strive to be better humans than your ancestors.

 

Woa. The hair splitting on selective outrage could crochet a FEMA disaster tarp. 

Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 8, 2020 - 8:24pm

Red_Dragon wrote:

I know you want to see this as a ruling class vs. the proletariat thing, but neither of these kids control who their parents are or what options their families can give them. Yeah, their daddies are both rich, and you could argue that neither of those daddies deserve to be. What does that imply about their children?

What would be your preferred alternative? These two shouldn't be friendly? Should they spit at each other? Should one stick to Martha's Vineyard and the other to Mar-a-Lago?

They are showing more tolerance and grace than most people posting here. Good on 'em. Party on, ladies—get to know each other, listen to each other, strive to be better humans than your ancestors.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Mar 8, 2020 - 12:59pm

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 2:25pm



 sirdroseph wrote:


Voting is not a responsibility, it is a right. Sounds pretty Facist to me. Force and coercion so completely uninformed voters can make completely uninformed choices. High vote count to nothingness.

 


Voting is not a responsibility - in your world, maybe

it is a right - apparently not in your world

Force - no; coercion/encouragement? why not. You don't have to vote for anyone here. You don't even have to vote if you want to pay the $250 if they bother to chase you up. I fail to see how a system of seeing how many uninformed voters you can get riled up is any better. If anything people are better informed as they prepare to go vote, not a bad outcome.

If that's the worst thing fascists bring, I wouldn't be so scared of them.




Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 2:13pm

westslope wrote:
Conventional wisdom is institutional?     Not sure I follow.  Perhaps you could elaborate.

Yes, of course. A set of assumptions that have been adopted as right and proper for so long that no one examines them anymore.

Like using Imperial units of measure. No one questions it and suggesting something else might work better is seen as unpatriotic, because of course we use miles and gallons! What are we, savages?

And sirdroseph is correct: there is absolutely nothing in our constitution dictating that vetting candidates for the ballot must be subcontracted to political parties—and only to two of them at that. Or that Congress be divided up by party, or that party leadership have any role recognized by  the state. These are all accretions of tradition, accidents of history that have become institutions that most people dare not question. None of them exist as a matter of law.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 12:21pm

 westslope wrote:


 Lazy8 wrote:
westslope wrote:
Low voter participation can signal a number of things.

1.  General consent with the status quo and the performance of economic and political elites.

2.  Frustration with a constitution that forces people into narrow policy choices.   Or expressed differently, paternalistically arbitrarily pushes candidates to the median voter.

3.  Frustration with voter disqualification campaigns — a rather unique characteristic of the American system.

4. Despair.

Item 2 above isn't an accurate portrayal of why we have so few options to choose from, and why they stray so little from the current consensus. The constraints aren't constitutional, they're institutional. Conventional wisdom solidified around a status quo that works well for those in power, not those they rule.
 
Conventional wisdom is institutional?     Not sure I follow.  Perhaps you could elaborate.

 
What he is saying is there is nothing in the constitution that is forcing people into narrow policy choices.  It is the false construct of a two party duopoly.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 12:06pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
westslope wrote:
Low voter participation can signal a number of things.

1.  General consent with the status quo and the performance of economic and political elites.

2.  Frustration with a constitution that forces people into narrow policy choices.   Or expressed differently, paternalistically arbitrarily pushes candidates to the median voter.

3.  Frustration with voter disqualification campaigns — a rather unique characteristic of the American system.

4. Despair.

Item 2 above isn't an accurate portrayal of why we have so few options to choose from, and why they stray so little from the current consensus. The constraints aren't constitutional, they're institutional. Conventional wisdom solidified around a status quo that works well for those in power, not those they rule.
 
Conventional wisdom is institutional?     Not sure I follow.  Perhaps you could elaborate.

Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 11:57am

westslope wrote:
Low voter participation can signal a number of things.

1.  General consent with the status quo and the performance of economic and political elites.

2.  Frustration with a constitution that forces people into narrow policy choices.   Or expressed differently, paternalistically arbitrarily pushes candidates to the median voter.

3.  Frustration with voter disqualification campaigns — a rather unique characteristic of the American system.

4. Despair.

Item 2 above isn't an accurate portrayal of why we have so few options to choose from, and why they stray so little from the current consensus. The constraints aren't constitutional, they're institutional. Conventional wisdom solidified around a status quo that works well for those in power, not those they rule.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 10:03am

 Proclivities wrote:


 sirdroseph wrote:

Semantically you are correct authoritarian would be a better term.    favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom:
 

Speaking of which, (not related at all really) Elon Musk announced that he had just opened a restaurant on the moon which he had crews secretly working on for years.  The food is apparently fantastic but there's no atmosphere at all.
 
{#Lol}
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 9:54am



 sirdroseph wrote:

Semantically you are correct authoritarian would be a better term.    favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom:
 

Speaking of which, (not related at all really) Elon Musk announced that he had just opened a restaurant on the moon which he had crews secretly working on for years.  The food is apparently fantastic but there's no atmosphere at all.


buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Denver
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 8:59am

Warren dropped out, no endorsement yet.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next