[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 2:05pm
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 2:04pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
China - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:43pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - katzendogs - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:36pm
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:34pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 12:32pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - black321 - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:45am
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Private messages in a public forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:21am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Buddy's Haven - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 9:14am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 8:10am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - black321 - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:06am
 
Things You Thought Today - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:43am
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:26am
 
Climate Change - kcar - Sep 18, 2020 - 3:40am
 
Anti-War - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 12:11am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - gtufano - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:36pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:04pm
 
Signs o' the Apocalypse in the news... - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:57pm
 
Soliciting ideas to bring about a more humane world - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:06pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - Red_Dragon - Sep 17, 2020 - 4:36pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 1:39pm
 
Favorite Quotes - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 12:06pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:57am
 
What are you listening to now? - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:49am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:39am
 
Women in the World - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:02am
 
More Stuff Schlabby Doesn't Do - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:57am
 
Nina Simone... - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Brass Against? - jamesat43 - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Helpful emergency signs - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:59am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:39am
 
Breaking Bad - sirdroseph - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:55am
 
Economix - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 11:56pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:05pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:22pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:33pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - kcar - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:29pm
 
Fires - haresfur - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:07pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:01pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Facebook Tips - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:32am
 
Silence? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:28am
 
Regarding cats - sirdroseph - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Is there any GOOD news out there? - kcar - Sep 16, 2020 - 4:24am
 
Trade War - R_P - Sep 15, 2020 - 8:13pm
 
Outstanding Covers - Ohmsen - Sep 15, 2020 - 2:20pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Sep 15, 2020 - 11:46am
 
Play the Blues - sirdroseph - Sep 15, 2020 - 5:47am
 
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc. - haresfur - Sep 14, 2020 - 6:51pm
 
punk? hip-hop? metal? noise? garage? - rhahl - Sep 14, 2020 - 2:02pm
 
Geeky Jokes - Proclivities - Sep 14, 2020 - 1:11pm
 
Guns - R_P - Sep 14, 2020 - 12:44pm
 
Help Wanted! - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 14, 2020 - 9:57am
 
hurricane relief - miamizsun - Sep 14, 2020 - 9:31am
 
You really put butter on the hot dog? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 14, 2020 - 8:56am
 
Bear! - Ohmsen - Sep 14, 2020 - 7:37am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - R_P - Sep 13, 2020 - 9:53pm
 
Calling DIY'ers... in re: electrical wiring... - kcar - Sep 13, 2020 - 5:49pm
 
Commercializing Facebook - Ohmsen - Sep 13, 2020 - 11:14am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - Coaxial - Sep 13, 2020 - 10:29am
 
The Obituary Page - islander - Sep 13, 2020 - 8:51am
 
Movie rental suggestions & reviews - Netflix or Blockbuster - Ohmsen - Sep 13, 2020 - 7:45am
 
TV shows you watch - Ohmsen - Sep 13, 2020 - 6:23am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 12, 2020 - 10:14pm
 
RP in the uk - BillG - Sep 12, 2020 - 6:53pm
 
RightWingNutZ - R_P - Sep 12, 2020 - 12:29pm
 
TMI - Steely_D - Sep 12, 2020 - 11:10am
 
Reinstock '05 Link Repository - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 12, 2020 - 8:58am
 
The American Dream - Red_Dragon - Sep 12, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » About RP » Baseball, anyone? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 1743, 1744, 1745  Next
Post to this Topic
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 12:04pm

 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
 

A shame. He was lights-out for the Sox for a long time. 
 

 I think there's good chance he'll return to something close eventually if he doesn't drive himself crazy first. 
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 11:53am



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
 

A shame. He was lights-out for the Sox for a long time. 
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 11:32am

 kcar wrote:
Has Kimbrel ever pitched well since coming to the Cubs? He was lights out in the first half of the Red Sox's championship year but got progressively shakier in the second. 
 
 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 10:49am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
 
Especially if they put Kimbrel in again.

 
Has Kimbrel ever pitched well since coming to the Cubs? He was lights out in the first half of the Red Sox's championship year but got progressively shakier in the second. 

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 5, 2020 - 6:33pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
 
Especially if they put Kimbrel in again.

Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 5, 2020 - 3:55pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:05am

 kcar wrote:
I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 
 It may serve some useful purpose.  In our first game against the Brewers they got close to having a bench clearing brawl because everyone could now hear all the trash talking from the other dugout.  The following day they turned the volume up.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:04am

 zevon wrote:

First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
 
I think it may give a small advantage to the away team.  Assuming you don't score in the top half of an inning it doesn't hurt you to walk a batter to set up a double play in the bottom half.  Also strange is the situation where a team's best base stealer comes up with two away and first open.  Do you walk him so he doesn't start out on second the next inning should there be one?
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:53pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
 

I hear you, but something about the whole arrangement seemed forced, empty and even a little creepy. I'm getting the feeling that MLB will have to shut down: a lot of players are testing positive. 

As for the NFL, we'll have to see but there's a greater chance of transmission between players from what I've read. Eight players from the Patriots have opted out of the season and the team's linebacker corps is reduced to question marks. You have to ask if it's really worth the trouble of trying to play a season. My preference is to have leagues not play the season unless they can keep players in a bubble. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:47pm



 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:41pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 9:26pm

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 
First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:10am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
 

   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:53am



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
 

I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:29am

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
ScottN

ScottN Avatar

Location: Half inch above the K/T boundary
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 11:21pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Careful what you wish for...
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 4:23pm

Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:48am

 steeler wrote:


 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
 
Rants likely to get worse once football season gets closer. {#Lol} I hope you and yours are well! {#Cheers}

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:14am



 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 7:19am

Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 1743, 1744, 1745  Next