[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Coaxial - Aug 3, 2021 - 8:22pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Aug 3, 2021 - 7:09pm
 
What is the meaning of this? - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 6:33pm
 
Gilligan Leaves This Island Earth - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 6:32pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 6:01pm
 
Agents of TRUTH - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 6:00pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 5:55pm
 
COVID-19 - Red_Dragon - Aug 3, 2021 - 3:58pm
 
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - kcar - Aug 3, 2021 - 3:57pm
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 3, 2021 - 2:25pm
 
What Did You See Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 3, 2021 - 2:01pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 3, 2021 - 1:52pm
 
How fast can you run a mile - Manbird - Aug 3, 2021 - 1:44pm
 
Crucial History Questions - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 10:39am
 
World Music - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 10:34am
 
Bowie fans, check this out - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 10:24am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Aug 3, 2021 - 9:10am
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2021 - 9:08am
 
Breaking News - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 3, 2021 - 9:01am
 
Media Bias - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 7:47am
 
Counting with Pictures - yuel - Aug 3, 2021 - 7:24am
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Aug 3, 2021 - 5:15am
 
Sweet horrible irony. - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 3:49am
 
The Military Industrial Complex - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2021 - 3:41am
 
~ Have a good joke you can post? ~ - whatshisname - Aug 2, 2021 - 11:12pm
 
Carplay UI request - ncollingridge - Aug 2, 2021 - 7:51pm
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - oldviolin - Aug 2, 2021 - 6:24pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Aug 2, 2021 - 6:13pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - haresfur - Aug 2, 2021 - 4:09pm
 
Little known information...maybe even facts - haresfur - Aug 2, 2021 - 3:58pm
 
ONE WORD - sneff - Aug 2, 2021 - 1:56pm
 
Back to the 70's - Steely_D - Aug 2, 2021 - 1:52pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 2, 2021 - 10:35am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Aug 2, 2021 - 9:25am
 
Today in History - Proclivities - Aug 2, 2021 - 9:06am
 
Things You Thought Today - sirdroseph - Aug 2, 2021 - 3:41am
 
Unrating solgs - Slartibastfast - Aug 2, 2021 - 2:45am
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Aug 1, 2021 - 3:34pm
 
Insane-looking Lawyers - kcar - Aug 1, 2021 - 3:18pm
 
What's in a name? - Manbird - Jul 31, 2021 - 9:32pm
 
Floyd forum - Ohmsen - Jul 31, 2021 - 4:53pm
 
Live Concert Streams - Ohmsen - Jul 31, 2021 - 4:00pm
 
I swing therefore I am. - Ohmsen - Jul 31, 2021 - 2:40pm
 
Derplahoma! - Red_Dragon - Jul 31, 2021 - 12:14pm
 
That's good advice - sirdroseph - Jul 31, 2021 - 3:41am
 
Get the Quote - sirdroseph - Jul 31, 2021 - 3:23am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - halogen - Jul 30, 2021 - 2:22pm
 
New Music - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2021 - 1:20pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2021 - 9:42am
 
The Obituary Page - GeneP59 - Jul 30, 2021 - 9:39am
 
Health Care - miamizsun - Jul 30, 2021 - 6:55am
 
TV shows you watch - maryte - Jul 30, 2021 - 6:35am
 
Automotive Lust - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jul 30, 2021 - 6:21am
 
The Rpeeps Favorite Guitarists Thread - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2021 - 4:49am
 
ISO Android app usage guide - kbs - Jul 30, 2021 - 3:45am
 
Surfing! - whatshisname - Jul 29, 2021 - 11:14pm
 
Zappa - black321 - Jul 29, 2021 - 1:56pm
 
Environment - R_P - Jul 29, 2021 - 1:40pm
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - black321 - Jul 29, 2021 - 12:46pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Jul 29, 2021 - 11:46am
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - Proclivities - Jul 29, 2021 - 10:54am
 
Music documentaries - Ohmsen - Jul 29, 2021 - 10:02am
 
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - black321 - Jul 29, 2021 - 8:47am
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - sirdroseph - Jul 29, 2021 - 7:57am
 
Celebrity Deaths - _Bruce_ - Jul 28, 2021 - 3:51pm
 
Tech & Science - Red_Dragon - Jul 28, 2021 - 3:42pm
 
What did you have for lunch? - oldviolin - Jul 28, 2021 - 1:32pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Jul 28, 2021 - 12:42pm
 
how do you feel right now? - Antigone - Jul 28, 2021 - 8:22am
 
The Chomsky / Zinn Reader - rhahl - Jul 28, 2021 - 6:32am
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Jul 28, 2021 - 6:09am
 
Living in America - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jul 27, 2021 - 11:04pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 27, 2021 - 8:35pm
 
Photos you have taken of your walks or hikes. - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jul 27, 2021 - 4:47pm
 
HALF A WORLD - Ohmsen - Jul 27, 2021 - 3:48pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Joe Biden Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Post to this Topic
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 8:45pm

 Curry wrote:
Ralph Nader on Bill Maher was just now saying Biden was one of the architects of the war on drugs. 

I gotta go look that one up.
You might start here...

Curry

Curry Avatar

Location: Home
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 8:44pm

 zipper wrote:
Posting about Joe is like picking cherries. There's just so very much to choose from. He lied a bunch big time yesterday.

edit:  same ole, same ole.
 

mmmm picking cherries.


Curry

Curry Avatar

Location: Home
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 8:37pm

Ralph Nader on Bill Maher was just now saying Biden was one of the architects of the war on drugs. 

I gotta go look that one up.

zipper

zipper Avatar



Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 3:19pm

Posting about Joe is like picking cherries. There's just so very much to choose from. He lied a bunch big time yesterday.

edit:  same ole, same ole.

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 2:40pm

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:
I guess it's more fun to pick on Palen.
I wonder if ol Biden could answer the same type of questions Couric ask Palen, regarding Obama?

 

You are right in suggesting that the focus should not be so intently upon the VP candidates.

However, the GOP cannot have it both ways.  They are happy to have Palin front-and-center for the "rock star" affect, which is to their strategic advantge, but then complain when the spotlight also brings with it scrutiny.

One might ask: Why is she getting so much attentiion?

  
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 2:22pm

I guess it's more fun to pick on Palen.
I wonder if ol Biden could answer the same type of questions Couric ask Palen, regarding Obama?


lester

lester Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 7:12pm

 edieraye wrote:
Do we have his financials somewhere?  I know the Presidential candidates made theirs public.  I'm sure there is handy link someone can find that will show us all the info.  I'm particularly interested because he is reported to be one of the least wealthiest of the U.S. Senators but I would like to see the numbers for myself before I start talking about it.  Which I plan on doing because I think it is worth commenting on.  But I would like some facts first.
  
 Poor is cool.
edieraye

edieraye Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 6:34pm

 dionysius wrote:
Just *bumping* Fightin' Joe here. Can't wait for the "debate" to happen!

 

Do we have his financials somewhere?  I know the Presidential candidates made theirs public.  I'm sure there is handy link someone can find that will show us all the info.  I'm particularly interested because he is reported to be one of the least wealthiest of the U.S. Senators but I would like to see the numbers for myself before I start talking about it.  Which I plan on doing because I think it is worth commenting on.  But I would like some facts first.
dionysius

dionysius Avatar

Location: The People's Republic of Austin
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 4:42pm

Just *bumping* Fightin' Joe here. Can't wait for the "debate" to happen!
dionysius

dionysius Avatar

Location: The People's Republic of Austin
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 2:26pm

 edieraye wrote:

More silliness here.  And yes Steeler has groupies.  It is because he is totally swoon-worthy.

 
If Steeler has groupies, then there's hope for poor ol' Joe Biden. Fightin' Joe! Let him debate Palin! Let not the McCain campaign abandon their debate commitments. We deserve a fair one to one comparison.
edieraye

edieraye Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:41am

 rosedraws wrote:

Can I just take a moment to say...

It's very fun to talk to you about politics with that AV.  The whole world seems more playful and optimistic!

 
More silliness here.  And yes Steeler has groupies.  It is because he is totally swoon-worthy.
rosedraws

rosedraws Avatar

Location: close to the edge
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:27am

rachlan wrote:

but your such a good writer, and thinker..... and you know the issues. We need you! Write!

Steeler has groupies! 
Sorry for the jack edieraye... :blush:

rachlan

rachlan Avatar

Location: nyc
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:25am

 steeler wrote:

No op-ed letter. Just meanderings from the rumblings emanating from my yard-sale mind!  
 
but your such a good writer, and thinker.....    and you know the issues.    We need you!  Write!

rosedraws

rosedraws Avatar

Location: close to the edge
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:24am

steeler wrote:

No op-ed letter. Just meanderings from the rumblings emanating from my yard-sale mind!

I'll buy some of that. 

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:23am

 rachlan wrote:
good point.  have you written on oped letter on this?  I guess maybe that is not exactly an issue at this point.  there are some other things to discuss.... but still.

 
No op-ed letter. Just meanderings from the rumblings emanating from my yard-sale mind!  

rosedraws

rosedraws Avatar

Location: close to the edge
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:23am

edieraye wrote:

.


Can I just take a moment to say...

It's very fun to talk to you about politics with that AV.  The whole world seems more playful and optimistic!

edieraye

edieraye Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:19am

 steeler wrote:
Here is my point ( you were wondering if I would get to one — we shall see {#Lol}).  I believe the question is whether — right now — one would vote for Palin for President over Biden. 
 
Personally, no way!  But then I would have voted for Edwards over Cheney and Gore over Quayle.  (For anyone who is curious: Kemp over Gore and Lieberman vs. Cheney went solidly to Cheney at the time.)  I do think that Palin was a strategic choice in more ways than are being explored on RP and I'm not convinced that it wasn't a good choice.  After all, is there really a chance that the Republicans can win this election with the economy the way it is and such an unpopular president at the helm?  The long term effects of her nomination will reverberate through both parties for years.  But this thread isn't supposed to be about her, it is supposed to be about Biden.  And even I can't stay on topic!

P.S.  I'll have to go look at those questions again but I think it was more of an early morning, before I had my coffee rant.  No need to respond.  Unless you need to rant yourself.
rachlan

rachlan Avatar

Location: nyc
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:09am

 steeler wrote:


I think you are absolutely right, Edie, that there should be as much focus upon Joe Biden as Obama's selection as VP as there is upon Sarah Palin as McCain's selection as VP.  But, here's the thing:  That focus on these VP candidates should be on the periphery of the analysis of the tickets.  The one thing I think everyone can agree upon as that Palin has been front-and-center for a month now. That is unprecedented. Which way that will cut remains to be seen. I am skeptical that McCain can win if the focus remains upon Palin — and, as I've said previously, I shudder to think that he might win because the focus remains upon Palin.  And that shuddering of mine is because the focus upon her  seems to be based largely upon irrelevant factors.  Of course, the GOP/McCain backers cannot have it both ways — or at least should not be able to have it both ways. They can't keep her in the focus because it is helping the ticket, yet at the same time complain that she is being unfairly scrutinized and criticised. Or can they?  Well, that's a different story, for a different post.

I agree with you that she essentially presents a clean slate — which makes her, in relative terms, an unknown.  Biden, after 35 years in the Senate and a couple runs for the presidency, is a known commodity, gaffs and all.  So, naturally, the vetting is going to be more aimed at her than at him.             

Here is my point ( you were wondering if I would get to one — we shall see {#Lol}).  I believe the question is whether — right now — one would vote for Palin for President over Biden.  That is the No. 1 consideration in evaluating a VP candidate.  As you say, and I agree, Palin is far less likely to have as much impact in a McCain administration as Biden would have in an Obama administration. Speculation, I know, but I agree with your speculation on that.  So, back to the big question.  If we agree that she is much more of an unknown than Biden, we also would have to agree that she is more of a gamble. So, then the question becomes, Is what she brings to the table worth the gamble?  As I've said before to you and a few others, I'm not interested in whether she can be groomed (no pun intended) to be a viable candidate for President 4 or 8 years down the road.  In my mind, the VP is not an apprenticeship — again, back to the big question.

I really think she was chosen solely by McCain for strategic purposes related entirely to winning the campaign. Now, I do think he likes her and has some measure of respect for  her, but, like you, I don't think she really will have a major impact within his administration.  Now, McCain makes a big deal —as he should — about his having taken an unpopular stance on the Iraq war, saying that he would rather lose an election than a war.  The whole putting-the-country-first thing.  Well, I'm not so sure he did that here in his selection of a VP.  The word is that he wanted to pick Lieberman or Ridge, and fell back to Palin.  

Do you think he put the country first by picking Palin for VP or did he put winning the election first?

{#Whisper} I haven't forgotten about your PM questions; will be responding at some point . . . ever optimistic!              

  good point.  have you written on oped letter on this?  I guess maybe that is not exactly an issue at this point.  there are some other things to discuss.... but still.


edieraye

edieraye Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 8:04am

 rosedraws wrote:
He's been around enough that we know a little about him.  He's not extreme, so there's not much to get in a whoopla about.

And your point is absolutely proven if you look at the RP stats: count how many pages were written about McCain, Palin, and Obama in the past 24 hours and here we are - still on page one of Biden.  I have two different reactions which really ought to go in two different posts for clarity:

FIRST:  Does the fact that there doesn't seem to be much "whoopla" about Biden mean that he was a good or bad choice for Obama?  On the one hand he isn't rocking the boat.  Or is this a case of no publicity is worse than bad publicity?

SECOND (and completely unrelated):  Isn't this a sad commentary on our commentary!  Unlike Palin we actually know who Biden is and where he stands on the issues.  I can't help but think that if this was an issues driven election - and if our commentary on RP was issues driven - then we would have TONS to discuss.
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Sep 25, 2008 - 7:49am

 edieraye wrote:
I just finished reading an interesting - or at least amusing - OpEd piece on Senator Biden and thought I'd stop by to see what RPeeps are saying about the man who might be one breath away from the Presidency of the US.  How disappointing to find that while Obama, McCain and of course Palin have their own threads - very active threads at that - Biden has nada, zilch, zero.  So I am doing my part to rectify the situation.

As much as it is fun to talk about Palin's VPncy - what impact does it have on the McCain platform?  While there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement in the thread dedicated to her nomination, I don't know what there is to disagree about.  She has no experience.  She has no platform of her own.  She is as clean of a slate as you can find in politics.  I honestly don't see her impacting a McCain Presidency in any major way.  At least not in the first few years.

On the other hand, Obama picked Biden to balance out the Democratic ticket.  To add some experience to a mostly visionary campaign.  (I don't mean that as a slight.  Is there anyone who thinks Obama isn't running a campaign with an emphasis on vision?  Please, anyone who takes issue with that statement is arguing for the sake of hearing themselves think.)  I believe Biden will have a real impact on an Obama Presidency.  His role - as I see it - will be to help Obama flesh out his vision and put it into practice.  Biden's knowledge, experience, and insight will steer Obama through the difficult task of turning hope into reality.

So why isn't there a thread about him?  Why are there no heated debates?

 

I think you are absolutely right, Edie, that there should be as much focus upon Joe Biden as Obama's selection as VP as there is upon Sarah Palin as McCain's selection as VP.  But, here's the thing:  That focus on these VP candidates should be on the periphery of the analysis of the tickets.  The one thing I think everyone can agree upon is that Palin has been front-and-center for a month now. That is unprecedented. Which way that will cut remains to be seen. I am skeptical that McCain can win if the focus remains upon Palin — and, as I've said previously, I shudder to think that he might win because the focus remains upon Palin.  And that shuddering of mine is because the focus upon her  seems to be based largely upon irrelevant factors.  Of course, the GOP/McCain backers cannot have it both ways — or at least should not be able to have it both ways. They can't keep her in the focus because it is helping the ticket, yet at the same time complain that she is being unfairly scrutinized and criticised. Or can they?  Well, that's a different story, for a different post.

I agree with you that she essentially presents a clean slate — which makes her, in relative terms, an unknown.  Biden, after 35 years in the Senate and a couple runs for the presidency, is a known commodity, gaffs and all.  So, naturally, the vetting is going to be more aimed at her than at him.             

Here is my point ( you were wondering if I would get to one — we shall see {#Lol}).  I believe the question is whether — right now — one would vote for Palin for President over Biden.  That is the No. 1 consideration in evaluating a VP candidate.  As you say, and I agree, Palin is far less likely to have as much impact in a McCain administration as Biden would have in an Obama administration. Speculation, I know, but I agree with your speculation on that.  So, back to the big question.  If we agree that she is much more of an unknown than Biden, we also would have to agree that she is more of a gamble. So, then the question becomes, Is what she brings to the table worth the gamble?  As I've said before to you and a few others, I'm not interested in whether she can be groomed (no pun intended) to be a viable candidate for President 4 or 8 years down the road.  In my mind, the VP is not an apprenticeship — again, back to the big question.

I really think she was chosen solely by McCain for strategic purposes related entirely to winning the campaign. Now, I do think he likes her and has some measure of respect for  her, but, like you, I don't think she really will have a major impact within his administration.  Now, McCain makes a big deal —as he should — about his having taken an unpopular stance on the Iraq war, saying that he would rather lose an election than a war.  The whole putting-the-country-first thing.  Well, I'm not so sure he did that here in his selection of a VP.  The word is that he wanted to pick Lieberman or Ridge, and fell back to Palin.  

Do you think he put the country first by picking Palin for VP or did he put winning the election first?

{#Whisper} I haven't forgotten about your PM questions; will be responding at some point . . . ever optimistic!              


Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next