[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
The Doors — L.A. Woman
Album: L.A. Woman
Avg rating:
7.7

Your rating:
Total ratings: 2968









Released: 1971
Length: 7:42
Plays (last 30 days): 1
Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
I took a look around, see which way the wind blow
With a little girl in a Hollywood bungalow
Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night
City of Night
City of Night
City of Night, woo, c'mon!

L.A. woman, L.A. woman
L.A. woman, Sunday afternoon
L.A. woman, Sunday afternoon
L.A. woman, Sunday afternoon
Drive through your suburbs
Into your blues
Into your blues, yeah
Into your blue, blue, blues
Into your blues, ohh yeah!

I see your hair is burnin'
Hills are filled with fire
If they say I never loved you
You know they are a liar

Drivin' down your freeway
Midnight alleys roam
Cops in cars, the topless bars
Never saw a woman
So alone
So alone
So alone
So alone

Motel money murder madness
Let's change the mood from glad to sadness

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Got to keep on risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Mojo Risin'
Got my mojo risin'
Mr. Mojo Risin'
Got to keep on risin'
Ridin', ridin'
Goin' ridin', ridin'
Goin' ridin', ridin'
I got to ridin', ridin'
Babe, ridin', ridin'
I gotta, woo, yeah, ride, oh! Yeah

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
Took a look around, see which way the wind blow
With a little girl in a Hollywood bungalow
Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night
City of Night
City of Night
City of Night, whoa, oh!

L.A. woman, L.A. woman
L.A. woman, you're my woman
A little L.A. woman
Yeah, L.A. woman
Hey, hey, come on, oh
L.A. woman, come on
Comments (461)add comment
This whole album is superb. Yes it's their last. Did they know it while jamming? For sure,  but who gives a damn. They managed to put time, space and the world aside, or just forgot about it, and did what is only relevant - music. They knew the cost and they delivered it generously.  Appreciation is still strong.  
Let’s get cruising with Jim and the boys,rock on👍
 twoplain2sea wrote:
Los Angeles woman a dear one and I going down to Mexico, it's on todays news, yet it might have been in 1973.

PS: Flying to L.A was her idea, and she never does things without a good reason.. Open your wings, and hop to Smyrna. Karma police came for us, so we said hey gringo take us across the border, you can say I'm your sister and muy hermosa.I know it sounds umpoco loco.Now the DEA is sending the choppers.
 
pm me - i wanna try some of that shit
Does anybody know what type of electric piano was used on this song? .....definitely NOT a Rhodes!
This is a solid 10 ,sing it Mojo rising😊
Haven't really been much of a Doors fan since lofts were real and genuinely squalid, but this song pretty much takes the #1 prize for sounding non-manufactured. And I can appreciate that no matter the decade. Or housing trends. 
Doesn't matter (rating that is) - this is one bitching song!
Hit it on the nail Bill! Just as I'm flying to LA today.

Long live RP
you gotta be kiding-only 7.7?Cant believe this :( 
Densmore is amazing here 
  
That is amazing. 

unclehud wrote:
PS:  My album cover has yellow cellophane in the window, and the Doors photo printed on the LP sleeve.
 

10 from me. I'm surprised  because somehow in all my years here I hadn't rated this.
Zep wrote:  Always thought it was ... "took a little downer 'bout an hour ago"

kurster wrote:   Me, too. Finally read the lyric after all of these years.

Don't believe everything you read.  I'm pretty sure he's talking about a Quaalude.
A MASTERPIECE. 

Thanks, Ray, for the killer key and tempo changes at narratively critical moments.

PS:  My album cover has yellow cellophane in the window, and the Doors photo printed on the LP sleeve.
 Zep wrote:
Always thought it was....

"took a little downer 'bout an hour ago"
 
Me, too.  Finally read the lyric after all of these years.
wow

definitely one of the definitions of Rock and Roll
You just cant drive slow when this is on the radio
One of the greatest songs, albums, bands and singers of all time.
 steviedeant wrote:
I'm a huge Doors fan but I can't stand this song.
 
Then I guess you're not a HUGE Doors fan!  

...and I was thinking "where's the 11 button?" 

Long Live RP and the Lizard King!!
I'm a huge Doors fan but I can't stand this song.
Uh oh.  The nasty fornication song.   

Where are the censors?  Or is it sensors? 

Mr. Mojo Rising!!
Simply superb. One of the best rock songs ever. A 10 without any hesitation.
 kcar wrote:
stunix wrote:
It's all pretty subjective to ones taste, but I doubt the doors would have been quite so worshiped and revered if Jim Morrison had not died when he did. There are plenty of talented bands have worked hard and got nowhere because they didn't do the whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing. a firm 5.


 
h8rhater wrote:

This is incorrect prima facie.  The Doors were already worshipped and revered before Jim died.  The Doors had been in the public eye, as one of the biggest bands in the world, for 4 years at the time of Morrison's death.   A better example might be some band that nobody heard of until a member died OR that got much bigger after said death.  

 



Perhaps stunix is saying that Jim's early death (age 27, wasn't it? One of the group of famous rock musicians who shuffled off at that age?) prolonged The Doors' fame and popularity longer than the bands' talent and output warranted. You're right, h8rhater, The Doors were hardly unknown but I'm sure that Jim's mysterious and early demise helped keep them in the public ear longer than normal. 

Still, The Doors' tracks were much better produced than a lot of music released back then. Consider The Kinks: a lot of their work from the 60s sounded tinny and dated even back in the 80s. The Doors don't sound nearly as dated and that's helped them stick around. 
 
No.  I got what stunix was saying.  I simply think the thought is wrong. 

By the same logic Jimi Hendrix would have slipped into oblivion had he not died.  I doubt many folks would make that assertion (perhaps stunix).

And to take apart the original post further:  The sex, drugs, and rock and roll weren't what made The Doors great.  It was the music.  See ColoradoJohn's post (currently the highest rated in this thread).  He put a finger on The Doors greatness.  That music, including this song, was epic.  Epic music doesn't die. 

People that appreciate music for the antics/actions of the artist outside of the music, aren't music fans.  It is music fans that keep discovering The Doors.

BTW: The Kinks are absolutely fabulous.  I hold them in as high an esteem as The Doors, so you wont get me to agree that they are somehow lesser than.

 sfyi2001 wrote:


 

 petersteward wrote:
i LIKE THIS BUT YOU PLAYED IT YESTERDAY.  YOUR PLAY LIST ON THE ROCK MIX IS LUDICROUSLY NARROW. 
 

Dude, like uh live in the moment. 
i LIKE THIS BUT YOU PLAYED IT YESTERDAY.  YOUR PLAY LIST ON THE ROCK MIX IS LUDICROUSLY NARROW. 
 ExploitingChaos wrote:
Dogs jumping on trampoline music
 
I like dogs.  I consider it a compliment.

VOOF!
stunix wrote:
It's all pretty subjective to ones taste, but I doubt the doors would have been quite so worshiped and revered if Jim Morrison had not died when he did. There are plenty of talented bands have worked hard and got nowhere because they didn't do the whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing. a firm 5.


 
h8rhater wrote:

This is incorrect prima facie.  The Doors were already worshipped and revered before Jim died.  The Doors had been in the public eye, as one of the biggest bands in the world, for 4 years at the time of Morrison's death.   A better example might be some band that nobody heard of until a member died OR that got much bigger after said death.  

 



Perhaps stunix is saying that Jim's early death (age 27, wasn't it? One of the group of famous rock musicians who shuffled off at that age?) prolonged The Doors' fame and popularity longer than the bands' talent and output warranted. You're right, h8rhater, The Doors were hardly unknown but I'm sure that Jim's mysterious and early demise helped keep them in the public ear longer than normal. 

Still, The Doors' tracks were much better produced than a lot of music released back then. Consider The Kinks: a lot of their work from the 60s sounded tinny and dated even back in the 80s. The Doors don't sound nearly as dated and that's helped them stick around. 
 helgigermany wrote:
In the list of The best 100 singers in rock buisness, there is no Jim Morrison. And i miss a lot of good singers there. Bad list!
 
Cretins
 Zep wrote:
Always thought it was....

"took a little downer 'bout an hour ago"

Jim may have said that!

 

Magical
 stunix wrote:
It's all pretty subjective to ones taste, but I doubt the doors would have been quite so worshiped and revered if Jim Morrison had not died when he did.   There are plenty of talented bands have worked hard and got nowhere because they didn't do the whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing.   a firm 5.
 
This is incorrect prima facie.  The Doors were already worshipped and revered before Jim died.  The Doors had been in the public eye, as one of the biggest bands in the world, for 4 years at the time of Morrison's death.   A better example might be some band that nobody heard of until a member died OR that got much bigger after said death.  

Have not heard this song in a while and still kick ass
Always thought it was....

"took a little downer 'bout an hour ago"

{#Drunk}  {#Naughty}
{#Bananajam}
{#Dancingbanana_2} Impossible to sit still with LA Woman!
My 2nd favorite Doors track. 
Dogs jumping on trampoline music
trampoline music
Classic Doors! Love it! I met Robbie in Germany. Great guy!
 coloradojohn wrote:
Ya know, people can diss The Doors, diss Jim, diss Robbie, diss even the amazing Ray Manzarek if they want to but somewhere in each and every Doors song is something they just can't get a handle on...know what I mean?...it's that spark, that thing untamed that scares them, like a lizard trying to get out of its hole deep in their brain...makes 'em wanna put on the brakes, exert some CONTROL, ya know? makes 'em feel suddenly uncomfortable in their own strange skin... I suspect that Jim knew exactly what bugged 'em...and he fed on it, man...and The Doors were propelled because of their willingness to Participate...
ALL HAIL THE ELECTRIC NIGHT!

There's always an extra electron
unless there isn't

and they went to Issa and they asked him
What is the meaning of this life?
and the great prophet replied
Consider this life as a bridge
We must cross to the other side...
When they pressed him for further elucidation, he said
I think that it does not behoove one to stop and attempt to build a house in the middle of it...

DANCE ON FIRE AS IT INTENDS!

 
CoJo, as usual, spits the truth.  PEACE bro!
one of my favorite Doors song!
 idiot_wind wrote:
Egads! 

I can't believe people dis this song. This is one of the greatest RnR songs ever recorded. 

It's got everything: hooks, bombastic lyrics, three or four different tempos, great guitar and piano. Drumming is great. 

t's has great sexual innuendos and a simulated orgasm by the Lizard King.  

 
Here here!!  I 100% agree; this is a GREAT rock song.  And to top it off, it has the amazing anagram "Mr. Mojo Risin" = "Jim Morrison"

This album is almost my favorite Doors' album; it's pretty nearly a tie with their debut.  What's amazing to consider about how this album came together are all the things going on with the band (i.e. Jim's legal issues due to his antics, and the ever present question "will Jim be sober enough today?") - oh and then their longtime producer (Paul Rothchild) took a big disliking to the first hearing of the songs (I believe "Love Her Madly" was what drove him away) so the band decided to co-produce with Bruce Botnick.  Record it in the studio?  Hell No, they decided to use their own rehearsal space, which resulted in the raw, live sound reminiscent of their debut.

And the absolute best part was that recording was done in 6 days spread between December 1970 and January 1971.  Mixing took another week, from an 8-track recorder nonetheless.  yeah....I think it's obvious that I LOVE this album.  Even the throwaway song (Hyacinth House) I find to be excellent (although that's probably because it became one of my "I'm breaking up with her soon" songs. 

Long Live RP and the Lizard King!  And RIP to Pam and Ray too. 


Great mix from She Sells Sanctuary
There are also plenty of bands that had somebody die and it didn't propel them into fame and airplay. The ones that stuck - you know the list - generally deserve it.
 

stunix wrote:
It's all pretty subjective to ones taste, but I doubt the doors would have been quite so worshiped and revered if Jim Morrison had not died when he did.   There are plenty of talented bands have worked hard and got nowhere because they didn't do the whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing.   a firm 5.

 


Egads! 

I can't believe people dis this song. This is one of the greatest RnR songs ever recorded. 

It's got everything: hooks, bombastic lyrics, three or four different tempos, great guitar and piano. Drumming is great. 

t's has great sexual innuendos and a simulated orgasm by the Lizard King.  
A solid 9. The Billy Idol version have 10.
11
Uh oh...the nasty song. 
 coloradojohn wrote:
Ya know, people can diss The Doors, diss Jim, diss Robbie, diss even the amazing Ray Manzarek if they want to but somewhere in each and every Doors song is something they just can't get a handle on...know what I mean?...it's that spark, that thing untamed that scares them, like a lizard trying to get out of its hole deep in their brain...makes 'em wanna put on the brakes, exert some CONTROL, ya know? makes 'em feel suddenly uncomfortable in their own strange skin... I suspect that Jim knew exactly what bugged 'em...and he fed on it, man...and The Doors were propelled because of their willingness to Participate...
ALL HAIL THE ELECTRIC NIGHT!

There's always an extra electron
unless there isn't

and they went to Issa and they asked him
What is the meaning of this life?
and the great prophet replied
Consider this life as a bridge
We must cross to the other side...
When they pressed him for further elucidation, he said
I think that it does not behoove one to stop and attempt to build a house in the middle of it...

DANCE ON FIRE AS IT INTENDS!

 

The life of St. Issa is ...............interesting.
It's all pretty subjective to ones taste, but I doubt the doors would have been quite so worshiped and revered if Jim Morrison had not died when he did.   There are plenty of talented bands have worked hard and got nowhere because they didn't do the whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing.   a firm 5.
this song, as do all in the Doors repertoire,  speaks to me.  It says "find another station"
{#Crashcomp} 
 coloradojohn wrote:
Ya know, people can diss The Doors, diss Jim, diss Robbie, diss even the amazing Ray Manzarek if they want to but somewhere in each and every Doors song is something they just can't get a handle on...know what I mean?...it's that spark, that thing untamed that scares them, like a lizard trying to get out of its hole deep in their brain...makes 'em wanna put on the brakes, exert some CONTROL, ya know? makes 'em feel suddenly uncomfortable in their own strange skin... I suspect that Jim knew exactly what bugged 'em...and he fed on it, man...and The Doors were propelled because of their willingness to Participate...
ALL HAIL THE ELECTRIC NIGHT!

There's always an extra electron
unless there isn't

and they went to Issa and they asked him
What is the meaning of this life?
and the great prophet replied
Consider this life as a bridge
We must cross to the other side...
When they pressed him for further elucidation, he said
I think that it does not behoove one to stop and attempt to build a house in the middle of it...

DANCE ON FIRE AS IT INTENDS!

 
Far out. Fueled by mescaline? Peyote?
dickmahoon wrote:
That ain't no 3 minute pop song!
 
Proclivities wrote:

Nope, it's a 7 minute-49 second pop song.

 

To me it's Rock N Roll and it's timeless
Not a great song to listen to when driving.

Try and keep your foot off the accelerator when listening to L.A. Woman.

I know because I have the speeding ticket to prove it. 
 idiot_wind wrote:
Hey...is this a "Thanksgiving Day-friendly" song? 

Is it wholesome? Family-centric?

Would Mannheim Steamroller cover it? 

Could ya wear a read sweater and dance to it? 

Would a turkey be offended? 

Would LA Woman be someone you would invite to dinner? 
 
{#Roflol}
What ReMix is that?
Hey...is this a "Thanksgiving Day-friendly" song? 

Is it wholesome? Family-centric?

Would Mannheim Steamroller cover it? 

Could ya wear a read sweater and dance to it? 

Would a turkey be offended? 

Would LA Woman be someone you would invite to dinner? 

  
 dickmahoon wrote:
That ain't no 3 minute pop song!

 
Nope, it's a 7 minute-49 second pop song.
Good solid 9.  Though he may not have had the best voice, his lyrics were great-and the band was terrific!
 On_The_Beach wrote:
One of the greatest songs, albums, bands and singers of all time.

 
I do agree on the songs, albums and bands bit, but a great singer he was not,

BUT (before you blow your top)

he was one of the great performers of all time.

One does not have to have a good singing voice, when one is a good performer and one can have a great singing voice but being a bad performer.

{#Hug}{#High-five}

This is one great song, there is no doubt about it!{#Clap}{#Notworthy}

 
Uh oh. The LA woman and Mr. Mojo are at it via Morrison's vocal description of what's going on. What did he moan about?  
How could I have rated this only a seven? I've always loved this song.
9.
That ain't no 3 minute pop song!
Ya know, people can diss The Doors, diss Jim, diss Robbie, diss even the amazing Ray Manzarek if they want to but somewhere in each and every Doors song is something they just can't get a handle on...know what I mean?...it's that spark, that thing untamed that scares them, like a lizard trying to get out of its hole deep in their brain...makes 'em wanna put on the brakes, exert some CONTROL, ya know? makes 'em feel suddenly uncomfortable in their own strange skin... I suspect that Jim knew exactly what bugged 'em...and he fed on it, man...and The Doors were propelled because of their willingness to Participate...
ALL HAIL THE ELECTRIC NIGHT!

There's always an extra electron
unless there isn't

and they went to Issa and they asked him
What is the meaning of this life?
and the great prophet replied
Consider this life as a bridge
We must cross to the other side...
When they pressed him for further elucidation, he said
I think that it does not behoove one to stop and attempt to build a house in the middle of it...

DANCE ON FIRE AS IT INTENDS!
 h8rhater wrote:

Thanks kurtser!

You're responding to one of the most ridiculous and uneducated posts to come across these boards (and that is truly saying something). 

Yes, Jim did yell into the mic, ONCE, in this song.  This was done for effect.  Otherwise, in spite of his vocal range (C2 - E6), Jim Morrison was one of the most measured and controlled vocalists in all of rock history.  His baritone was unrivaled IMHO.  To say that he yelled into the microphone badly is to lack a complete understanding of the topic.

 
Morrison can, could yell sing croon howl any damn way he pleases. He and his bandmates created some of THE tracks of the '60s. 
 kurtster wrote:

Its his song, he can sing it anyway he wants to.  Same goes for Dylan, Springsteen and many others.  Its a synergy.  Its a context.  Its their creation.

Have a good cover version to recommend ? 

 
....and....he never, ever touted himself as a "singer"....he was a poet who sang. In fact, he was very self conscious about singing in the beginning. But regardless....his voice was perfect for the songs he wrote.
Cool....The CultShe Sells Sanctuary straight into LA Woman....I don't even have to turn the volume down any :^ )
  greiffenstein wrote:

Maybe because he wasn't really a singer.  he yelled into a microphone.  badly. 

kurtster wrote:

Its his song, he can sing it anyway he wants to.  Same goes for Dylan, Springsteen and many others.  Its a synergy.  Its a context.  Its their creation.

Have a good cover version to recommend ? 

 
Thanks kurtser!

You're responding to one of the most ridiculous and uneducated posts to come across these boards (and that is truly saying something). 

Yes, Jim did yell into the mic, ONCE, in this song.  This was done for effect.  Otherwise, in spite of his vocal range (C2 - E6), Jim Morrison was one of the most measured and controlled vocalists in all of rock history.  His baritone was unrivaled IMHO.  To say that he yelled into the microphone badly is to lack a complete understanding of the topic.
Misunderstood lyrics #217

"LA Woman is Gonna Have To Do" 

Ah the days before the internet.  Now I get it. 
 greiffenstein wrote:

Maybe because he wasn't really a singer.  he yelled into a microphone.  badly. 

 
Its his song, he can sing it anyway he wants to.  Same goes for Dylan, Springsteen and many others.  Its a synergy.  Its a context.  Its their creation.

Have a good cover version to recommend ? 
man the drummer on this track FUCKKIN' ROCKS!!!       
Los Angeles woman a dear one and I going down to Mexico, it's on todays news, yet it might have been in 1973.

PS: Flying to L.A was her idea, and she never does things without a good reason.. Open your wings, and hop to Smyrna. Karma police came for us, so we said hey gringo take us across the border, you can say I'm your sister and muy hermosa.I know it sounds umpoco loco.Now the DEA is sending the choppers.
 hschlossberg wrote:
The song itself is a 9-10 — or at least it was for the first 3000 times I heard it.  But in the context of Radio Paradise, where I prefer to hear "something completely different", I give this song a 3.

 
Even with your "explanation", your rating makes no sense. 

"I really like this song a lot.  It's a great classic that I have loved for years.   ...but I'm not going to like it because of the venue".  {#Stupid}


 hschlossberg wrote:
The song itself is a 9-10 — or at least it was for the first 3000 times I heard it.  But in the context of Radio Paradise, where I prefer to hear "something completely different", I give this song a 3.

 
a 3? for Ho-Hum?
I gave it a 2 for Marginal 
Doors are always boring
The song itself is a 9-10 — or at least it was for the first 3000 times I heard it.  But in the context of Radio Paradise, where I prefer to hear "something completely different", I give this song a 3.
..... a BIG 10
 DragonSixGolf wrote:
Is this a remaster? For a song I've heard 1000s of times, it's never sounded more brittle.

 
Perhaps your tympanic membrane is ossifying.
 unclehud wrote:
 unclehud wrote:
This song is freaking amazing. Y'all get that?  It's freaking amazing.

if you didn't get it the first time, or the second time: THIS SONG IS FREAKING AMAZING.  (The band, too, although they're half dead now.)

To us Southern boys, "L.A." is Lower Alabama.



 
Around Cleveburg its Lower Akron ...
Is this a remaster? For a song I've heard 1000s of times, it's never sounded more brittle.
Sounds like any local band jamming some grooves, having some beers.
Maybe that's just what this is.. grooves, energy. No more, no less.
I don't get why this is/was a big Doors hit though.
Maybe because it fitted so well in their live shows?
studbuster
{#Dancingbanana}
After reading some comments I think its hard to like and understand the hype. Today you miss the atmosphere of that time. It was very different. Beside that, i like this music.
                                                    I
                                Dear friends, the missing link
                             Soon Will sync. Sooner I may need
                                        A shrink I think.


in a parallel universe this is the official song of Los Angeles
Tough for me to tolerate this music today.  I thought it was marginal way back when it was released.
 idiot_wind wrote:
This is a nasty song. I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising" and "Ride it, ride it".

And his vocalization of ejaculation near the end of the song is pretty clear.     

 
Maybe everyboy's already aware of this, but "Mr. Mojo Risin'" is an anagram of "Jim Morrison."
Thanks Bill I knew this was coming! 
 joelbb wrote:

Such an insight!  And only 45 years after the fact.  Listen here, Sonny, ALL the Doors songs were nasty.  They envisioned themselves rowdy Renaissance jongleur-poets after the style of Francois Villon.

 

hey Joe,

Sometimes the obvious has to be stated for the youngins out there.  They have teeny weeny attention spans and poor depth perception.

FYI: I remember the deaths of Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, and Allman.  

P.S. did you get my innuendo in the above line or...are you one of them youngsters? 
 phlattop wrote:

I remember the Rolling Stone cover with the "He's Hot. He's sexy. He's dead" headline.  That, to me, was the epitome of the mindless worship/hype of Morrison that went on in the 80s. .... I don't see the same worship going on with Hendrix or Joplin...

 
As far as I see, Hendrix and Joplin are still worshiped as gods.  Turn on any Classic Rock station (if you can bear to) and you will hear both of them within an hour (as well as The Doors).  Any discussion of guitarists and/or female vocalists always seems to use the two of them as the Gold Standard for their respective talents.
 greiffenstein wrote:
This is to both you ga-ripe-en-steen, and sear-gent bilco: Morrison was a poet and the music was light years ahead of its time.  Those guys were three pieces and sounded like a symphony... Moon-ron.  And, Oh wait...wants that smell? Yeah right - it's just you and the sarge having another bowel movement...
 

 sergeant_x wrote:
I like to appreciate classic rock whenever I can. Sometimes ... I can't.

The Doors are very silly. This is like a melodramatic bowel movement with Sesame Street piano.

Am I being cynical? 

 

yes you are
also accurate
 can't stand them
 helgigermany wrote:
In the list of The best 100 singers in rock buisness, there is no Jim Morrison. And i miss a lot of good singers there. Bad list!

 
Maybe because he wasn't really a singer.  he yelled into a microphone.  badly. 
 greiffenstein wrote:
Of Jim Morrison it can be said that the entire world must have been high to think this clown had any talent.  Why does this crap linger?

 
My question exactly!
 idiot_wind wrote:
...I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising"...     

 
Any day now, I expect this track to be used as the music bed for a Viagra commercial for just that reason.
Of Jim Morrison it can be said that the entire world must have been high to think this clown had any talent.  Why does this crap linger?
 idiot_wind wrote:
This is a nasty song. I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising" and "Ride it, ride it".

And his vocalization of ejaculation near the end of the song is pretty clear.     

 
Such an insight!  And only 45 years after the fact.  Listen here, Sonny, ALL the Doors songs were nasty.  They envisioned themselves rowdy Renaissance jongleur-poets after the style of Francois Villon.
 idiot_wind wrote:
This is a nasty song. I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising" and "Ride it, ride it".

And his vocalization of ejaculation near the end of the song is pretty clear.     

 
Birds singing are mostly trying to get laid.

Welcome to the biosphere.
 idiot_wind wrote:
This is a nasty song. I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising" and "Ride it, ride it".

And his vocalization of ejaculation near the end of the song is pretty clear.     

 
My how the wind does blow off of the...
This is a nasty song. I guess most radio censors never picked up on Jim Morrison singing about "Mr. Mojo rising" and "Ride it, ride it".

And his vocalization of ejaculation near the end of the song is pretty clear.     
Just a great song
I never know how to judge this band. I always think that they're vastly overrated, but no one ever sounded like them.
 CaffeineSam wrote:
Damn song just got me a speeding ticket again.

And I was walking. 
 

{#Yes}

Yep. 
 
Damn song just got me a speeding ticket again.

And I was walking. 
 averybadcat wrote:
 I tend to agree about the psychedelic filibustering. Way to speak your mind. Regarding his poetry, I think, this emperor was naked. Wonder how he would be holding up if he was still alive.

 
I remember the Rolling Stone cover with the "He's Hot. He's sexy. He's dead" headline.  That, to me, was the epitome of the mindless worship/hype of Morrison that went on in the 80s. Jimbo, in his last year or two had lost focus, exhibited more out there behavior and put on some weight.  Can you say "Fat Elvis"? He's get mythologized since he died young (27) and he was seen as a poet because he quoted Rimbaud and Baudelaire (sp?). I don't see the same worship going on with Hendrix or Joplin.

Maybe he had better poetry in him than what we saw. I feel the rest of the band has never gotten the full recognition they deserved. Great song that just rolls on. Morrison is in fine form here. Probably the only Doors song I will listen to the whole way through.

Is there a need to rate this?
 
Bad arrangement, very good voice, good song, very good band.
Always a welcome jam, always a timeless Rock Gem. The Doors loved doing THEIR thing THEIR way, & it sure rocked. Mojo forever!
i really was dancing
 
 FrankDebbieCote wrote:
I appreciate the energy but after a million listens the ranting at the end of the song makes me want to turn off the radio. 
 
I tolerated it yesterday but 24 hours later -  I did what you said.  Turned off Paradise.
 canadapaul wrote:
one of the most overrated bands....i never fell for, i mean 'get it'...funny how all the LA cats were the kids of military personnel....the guitar player was good; but they could never just play a three minute song that you could dance to all the way through...they always had to muck it (this; peace frog blabbing about egg shells, light my fire with the classical organ-gas for four minutes....) my guess is there were drugs involved.....

 
Really? Drugs involved? Oh my god.....


In the list of The best 100 singers in rock buisness, there is no Jim Morrison. And i miss a lot of good singers there. Bad list!
The beginning is so good and then it seems to lose steam for a long bit and finally recovers for me at the end.
In my opinion on of the "just average" Doors songs.
 h8rhater wrote:

You know exactly what you are "being".

 

{#High-five}


 canadapaul wrote:
one of the most overrated bands....i never fell for, i mean 'get it'...funny how all the LA cats were the kids of military personnel....the guitar player was good; but they could never just play a three minute song that you could dance to all the way through...they always had to muck it (this; peace frog blabbing about egg shells, light my fire with the classical organ-gas for four minutes....) my guess is there were drugs involved.....

  I tend to agree about the psychedelic filibustering. Way to speak your mind. Regarding his poetry, I think, this emperor was naked. Wonder how he would be holding up if he was still alive.


I appreciate the energy but after a million listens the ranting at the end of the song makes me want to turn off the radio. 
This music stands the test of time, in fact, sounds better and better.  And the albums themselves got better and better:  MH/HRC and this one are both perfect or near perfect classics.