[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
The Cars — Drag On Forever
Album: Move Like This
Avg rating:
6.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 118









Released: 2011
Length: 3:35
Plays (last 30 days): 0
I felt the pressure and I passed it off
I heard your glockenspiel pounding soft
I climbed on top of you, you said get off
Must this drag on forever?

I tripped and stumbled in the dead of the night
Flashing my endless stream of Kryptonite
I lit my brain with rainbow Crystal Lite
Must this drag on forever?

Then things go so quiet
Like I should not be here
You said I had to try it
Don't let me interfere
Just get me out of here
Please, help me out here

Your waxy face is melting on your lap
I sat there trying to crush a ginger snap
Your scream was sounding like a thunderclap
Must this drag on forever?

Your coconut windows hid the light so well
Your tesimony put me in a spell
You look so wasted that I could not tell
Must this drag on forever?
Comments (42)add comment
I bought this CD (through the link provided) and it's in constant play in my vehicle's CD player.  I LOVE "Keep On Knocking" and several other songs. I have "The Double Cross" by Sloan, but haven't put it in the player yet. I'm spending TOO much money on music! Winter's coming on, and things will be very tight - at least I'll have good music, even if I can't afford to go anywhere.

RP, you're so baaaaaaad for me. I love it. {#Roflol}
 kurtster wrote:

This is largely in part because of Todd Rundgren's presence with the band.  He added much to the sum.
 
Todd was involved in their tour a couple of years back (as The New Cars — without Ric Ocasek) but played no part in this album. 
The Cars were awesome until they started letting Rick Ocasek sing.
 Cynaera wrote:
I really like the Cars' new music, but maybe that's because I didn't expect them to sound exactly like they did before the untimely death of Ben Orr.  I like that they revamped their style and opened up to new things. To me, this isn't stale or boring at all - quite the contrary, it has some sharper edges and isn't as slickly-produced as previous Cars releases.

I'll be spending money on this one, someday soon.
 
This is largely in part because of Todd Rundgren's presence with the band.  He added much to the sum.

With the volume on low, I kept hearing Joy Division's 'Dead Souls'. I like that The Cars have returned.
I wonder... is that the first time a glockenspiel has been both mentioned and played in a rock song?
Drag On Forever

That's an appropriately named song if I ever heard one.


 fatcatjb wrote:
I like that insistant high guitar note...pretty groovy song
 
Sounds a bit like a Television song?

I really like the Cars' new music, but maybe that's because I didn't expect them to sound exactly like they did before the untimely death of Ben Orr.  I like that they revamped their style and opened up to new things. To me, this isn't stale or boring at all - quite the contrary, it has some sharper edges and isn't as slickly-produced as previous Cars releases.

I'll be spending money on this one, someday soon.
I only caught the end of this song but it sounded a lot like the Secret Machines. Yeah I just found the song found it on Youtube. It kinda shows a funny evolution from Cars —> Secret Machines —> Cars again.
Not sure about this one.  That guitar sorta bugs me, and it kinda Drags on...

Elliott Easton's (usually awesome) licks are traditionally pretty sparse, leaving you wanting more.

This is a good CD however this is not one of tracks that I like


"Ho hum" describes it for me.


An excellent Cars album by The Cars.  Who woulda thunkit?
Works for me, despite the usual nonsensical Cars lyrics. Bought the song on iTunes after hearing it here first. 

Mostly just noise..#4
I am witholding judgment. Truth is, I can't decide if I like it or not.{#Stupid}
Oh man it's good, the whole new album; it's mind-boggling how good, really...Hits Me and Keep On Knocking and the very politically charged Blue Tip and Sad Song are only waiting to be discovered and enjoyed...  With a head full of Cars riffs, life can look a whole lot better...it sure worked in the late 70s and early 80s and I'm happy to say, still does.  There is something amazing going on in the catchy little hooks and runs and grooves these guys make together, and best of all it's FUN...

 kgish wrote:
Sounds just like their first album, some things just never change.
 
And if it didn't sound like old Cars, people would bitch that "..it sounds nothing like the Cars used to! Their new sound sux!" Blah blah.



I was going to bump it from 7 to 8, and I'd already done it! This new Cars is catching me by the ears - I like it the more I hear it. I might have to invest in the CD, or the MP3 download. {#Music}
The Cars? Back again? Who knew? Not me. I'll give it a 'decent'; not convinced this is nothing less than the need to pay some bills, as has been mentioned.
Didn't even know Ocasek has gotten back with them or that they had a new album out until I saw them on Colbert the other day. I'll have to check this out. (Miss Benjamin Orr, though.)
I like that insistant high guitar note...pretty groovy song
 h8rhater wrote:

The time to have "cashed in" was loooonnnggg ago so your argument holds no water.  It sounds kinda cliched, actually.

They got together to do an "album" after all these years because they (particularly Ocasek) wanted to.  If you really liked the Cars back in the day, you might want to give this CD more than just your passing attention and backhand slap.  You might actually like it.

I know I did.

 
I agree completely and I did grab the CD and give it a listen, my problem is I realized/remembered quickly that I did not like the Cars back in the day.  I do wish I had given it a second listen through however, I do really like this track.

...cool enough for me!..
Very Roxy Musicish to me. i'll give it a 7
 iTuner wrote:
Doesn't really do much.

When the Cars first came out they hit the scene with their own style of music and some real impact.

This new song feels to me like they had some debts that need to be paid so they decided to release a new "album." 
 
The time to have "cashed in" was loooonnnggg ago so your argument holds no water.  It sounds kinda cliched, actually.

They got together to do an "album" after all these years because they (particularly Ocasek) wanted to.  If you really liked the Cars back in the day, you might want to give this CD more than just your passing attention and backhand slap.  You might actually like it.

I know I did.

This isn't the best song on The Cars' new album by any means, but it's still good. The new album is great — if you're an old school Cars fan, there's much to love. I sense it's not selling well which would be a shame if true. Does anyone have any sales figures?
Does indeed grad on forever...they all do.  {#Puke}
Sounds just like their first album, some things just never change.
That's exactly what struck me about the song, and if you like the new edginess yet appreciate the essential Carsiness in this, I recommend checking out the rest of the outstanding album!

 
Cynaera wrote:
Okay - there's a new edginess to the band with this, and to me, it still captures what The Cars were all about in their day.  I like it. Giving it a 7, with potential for more...


Okay - there's a new edginess to the band with this, and to me, it still captures what The Cars were all about in their day.  I like it. Giving it a 7, with potential for more... {#Mrgreen}
Doesn't really do much.

When the Cars first came out they hit the scene with their own style of music and some real impact.

This new song feels to me like they had some debts that need to be paid so they decided to release a new "album." 
When I heard there was going to be a reunion, I didn't expect too much.  While Orr was always my favorite, this is pretty good!
 Cynaera wrote:
I'm liking this a lot, even without Ben Orr (sob!)  Not rating it yet, because I want to hear it a couple more times... So far, so good, though...
 

I miss Benjamin. {#Sad} I always liked his voice just as much as Ric's. But yeah—-this is definitely a sound I've missed in Rock n Roll. They were my very first rock concert at age 15!
this is JUST WHAT I NEEDED...{#Bananajam}{#Drummer}{#Bananajam}{#Bananapiano}

I'm liking this a lot, even without Ben Orr (sob!)  Not rating it yet, because I want to hear it a couple more times... So far, so good, though...
Eliot Easton, turn that damn annoying guitar down. This is a really boring tune - so, yay, the Cars are back.

The Cars are a paradox to me: some totally iconic hook-laden tune wrapped around some horrendous vocals and some horrible lyricism.

"Let them take you up in the air
Let them muss your rock and roll hair."
WTF?

But then there's Easton, who is sorely under appreciated.

When were the Cars at their best? Easy. When Todd Rundgren fronted them, Kasim Sulton stepped in on bass, and Prairie Prince played drums: The New Cars. They were fantastic

Make sure to get to the solo at 2:15.

 


Dig it, but too much christmas bells/chimes in the mix. Glad to hear some new Cars...it's been too long.
I am really liking this one!
I'll have to hear it more before I rate it but thanks for playing it. Hard to replace Ben, but to not even try... that's a tough call.
 
Edit: second time thru I'm not feeling it.  Curious about the rest of the album tho.

THANKS, BILL and REBECCA — YOU ROCK!  I'm glad you added this tasty, wicked and deep cut!  I like how it growls along with a barely restrained raw power that flashes through in those classic lashes from that Easton guitar, those quirkily rocking Hawkes keys, those truly inspired Robinson drumbeats, and I'm still amazed at Ocasek's pure genius and rock-solid power-pop skills!