[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Echo & the Bunnymen — Lips Like Sugar (12 inch mix)
Album: Just Say Yes - Sire's Winter CD Music Sampler
Avg rating:
7

Your rating:
Total ratings: 734








Released: 1987
Length: 6:33
Plays (last 30 days): 1
She floats like a swan
Grace on the water
Lips like sugar
Lips like sugar
Just when you think you've caught her
She glides across the water
She calls for you tonight
To share this moonlight

You'll flow down her river
She'll ask and you'll give her
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses

She knows what she knows
I know what she's thinking
Sugar kisses
Sugar kisses
Just when you think she's yours
She's flown to other shores
To laugh at how you break
And melt into this lake

You'll flow down her river
But you'll never give her
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses

She'll be my mirror
Reflect what I am
A loser and a winner
The King of Siam
And my Siamese twin
Alone on the river
Mirror kisses
Mirror kisses

Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses

Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses

Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Lips like sugar
Sugar kisses
Comments (94)add comment
When I was a teenager, these Sire samplers introduced me to more good bands and music than I could ever imagine.  These were songs I just could never hear on commercial radio back before the interwebs was a thing.  

Also, since I'd never heard the Bunnymen or this song before getting my hands on this CD, I have a special fondness for this version.  So sue me.  
 chyk5 wrote:
Love the Bunnymen, but i hear cowbell in this mix...i'm out!
 

Me too, can't stand these fuckin cowbells.
Love the Bunnymen, but i hear cowbell in this mix...i'm out!
 Shaggy27 wrote:
I owned this CD and love the bunny men and hate this version. But love hearing it agsin
 

H8
 spacemanspiff wrote:
Like most people here I am not a fan of the remix. I like the original and like most wish some times that the song lasted longer to get more enjoyment out of it however in this case I think the artist had it right the first time. I especially dislike it when the remix is not from the original artist. Leave it alone already.
 
Bruce Lampcov did both this version and the original mix.  My impression is the band did a bunch of takes in the studio and Lampcov made both a radio-friendly and a full-length version from that. It's not like some random remixer said "hey I can make this rock song into a dance tune" behind the band's back.  This is the main guy the band hired to assemble their final mix(es).

https://www.discogs.com/artist/139294-Bruce-Lampcov
Like most people here I am not a fan of the remix. I like the original and like most wish some times that the song lasted longer to get more enjoyment out of it however in this case I think the artist had it right the first time. I especially dislike it when the remix is not from the original artist. Leave it alone already.
J'aime beaucoup le lapin.
Un son vraiment très bon
Bravo Radio Paradise

Richard  France
If you really wanna piss of the album purists you should play this mix instead! haha!
Not a fan of taking a so-so song and making it so so long.
I owned this CD and love the bunny men and hate this version. But love hearing it agsin
I agree with most of the comments already made.  The original is much more enjoyable (that one is a 7 or 8 for me - this version is 4 or 5).
New Wave Bugs Bunny
Now I am eating my own lips... I have lips fetish trouble.
While I've always loved this song, and in general am not opposed to remixes, this seems to merely dilute the original power. The breaks seem off and putting a rather heavy drum beat over everything is a bit dreary.
Usual dreary rubbish.
Yikes, this remix gets old fast... 
Prefer this to hearing the overplayed original....never a top choice from the Bunnymen catalogue - much better tunes available. 
For me its not so much about the style or genre or even the actual song - the lyrics bring me back to a time long ago when the feeling of kissing a girl was like tasting sugar. So for that reason alone the song deserves an occasional playing on RP I would say.
How can one progress so far as to decide to play Echo & the Bunnymen and then choose this track? I won't list their other tracks which, in my opinion, surpass this one. Suffice it to say, jus' 'bou' all on 'em!
Damn it! This could go on for hours, since machines don't get bored. {#Frustrated}
Okay, for all of you who hate dance mixes, this is your opportunity to hit the PSD button or simply go to the back of the room so the rest of us can enjoy this. T'ain't nuthin' wrong with dance music as Arcade Fire figured out.
Objection!
I prefer the original which is classic in my book...
This is so wrong
Ugh, another obnoxious "dance" mix.  Love the original version of this song, but I almost invariably dislike the horribly butchered dance/club mix of everything, because they destroy the melodic and lyric flow, and very often, oddly enough, the rhythm.  This dance mix is better than many, so I gave it a 2, but would much rather hear the original album version.  {#No}
 GrooVy wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a really great song with a rocking groovy beat or if my speakers are just that good that the song made me smile. =)

The doctor part of me won
Try not to count all the 5 billion germs next time you kiss someone as it really kills the mood and can make that kiss go on for way to long as your mind is annoyed as hell to have to kiss someone....

-Dr. GrooVy. 

 
I respect your right to an opinion, but you are clearly a total tosspot.
 Klondike_Gabe wrote:
Thanks for playing Echo and the Bunnymen. First concert I ever went to. Billy Bragg opened for them. Made me smile.

 
Not in the fucking Yukon they didn't...
 leechi wrote:
i was born in 1987.

this sounds like sh**
 



Ha! Does it sound like shit (you can say it, we're all adults here) because you were born in 1987? Is your relative youth an impediment to good taste? I solute your balls for having such advanced powers of self-reflection.
 GrooVy wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a really great song with a rocking groovy beat or if my speakers are just that good that the song made me smile. =)

The doctor part of me won
Try not to count all the 5 billion germs next time you kiss someone as it really kills the mood and can make that kiss go on for way to long as your mind is annoyed as hell to have to kiss someone....

-Dr. GrooVy. 
 
And we won't mention all the little creatures we carry around on our skin, live in our beds, etc. ad nauseum .
Thanks for playing Echo and the Bunnymen. First concert I ever went to. Billy Bragg opened for them. Made me smile.
I think we could have done without the dance remix.
That seems to be true of most remixes, though.
I love the original version, but despite my best efforts to have an open mind, this version doesn't work..at least not for me.


Wish you were here, Sugar...

 
THIS SU#.. and I love these guys... sounds like a sting medley from the 80's... ugh.. next it roll into the killing moon.... then people are strange...
I'm not sure if this is a really great song with a rocking groovy beat or if my speakers are just that good that the song made me smile. =)

The doctor part of me won<'t go into the fact that there are over 5 billion germs in the human mouth alone. "Sugar kisses" would be 5+ billion germs plus a trip to the local dentist office, but that isn't as much fun as just jammin' to the fact that the base sounds good with this audio setup. =) 

Try not to count all the 5 billion germs next time you kiss someone as it really kills the mood and can make that kiss go on for way to long as your mind is annoyed as hell to have to kiss someone....

-Dr. GrooVy. 
quiet a {#Good-vibes}-.Μ
 romeotuma wrote:


This song completely creeps me out now...


 



eh yeah, i mean what is Bugs doing on the cover there?
I much prefer the original version.
I love these extended, remixes. Thanks!
i was born in 1987.

this sounds like sh**
Never had heard the cocaine correlation as it is a foreign substance to me, but enough friends have gone down that road that I can understand it in context of the lyrics.
An 80's dance mix....   Very cool !
 
I live for mixes like this.  Its nice to hear something before it was condensed or expanded on at a later date.
I have about a dozen of the "Just" collections!  Always surprises, and tons of listening pleasure. {#Music}  Kool pamphlets with the CD's too.

 peter_james_bond wrote:

Admit it Romeo - you're outsourcing your comment posts. {#Wink}
 
Check out the The New Yorker piece on outsourcing Tweets. Your comment kinda made me think of that.

PLEASE Bill - let's go deeper into The Bunnymen catalogue!!!  RP listeners deserve that and have the ears for it! ....with sugar on top?!  (sorry, I couldn't help it!).
 romeotuma wrote:

It is an excellent song... there is just some history attached to that song now, and the history creeps me out... I wish I did not have the history attached to it, because the song is fine... sorry!


 
Nuthin to be sorry about amigo. this song just reminds me of sneakin' up into amy *******'s bedroom  window when I was 14 and how things went from there.


 rabbi_phil wrote:


WHAAAAT?   say it ain't so romeo!     HOW COULD THAT BE?       man, I love this song
 


It is an excellent song... there is just some history attached to that song now, and the history creeps me out... I wish I did not have the history attached to it, because the song is fine... sorry!


 romeotuma wrote:


This song completely creeps me out now...


 

WHAAAAT?   say it ain't so romeo!     HOW COULD THAT BE?       man, I love this song
I'm not anti echo and his bunnymen, but this is completely lame.


This song completely creeps me out now...


Please never play this version again.
Back in the early 80s I was visiting some friends in San Francisco and drove over to Half Moon Bay for a little surfing. Contrary to the usual rumors of Cali localism, I found the crew in the water to be pretty friendly. They invited me to join them in an expedition that evening to see a band they were all pretty excited about - Echo and the Bunnymen. I'd never heard of them before, but I was a fan after that night. Thanks, guys!
Anyone remember the rest of these Sire CD samplers? Just Say Da, Just Say Mao, etc. There were all kinds of good tracks on them.
 pamohearn wrote:
And we thought extended dance mixes were a good idea why???????

So that we could dance for longer to a song. The clue's in the phrase "extended dance mix" ;). From a record buying viewpoint they were a bit of a con, mind, a way of record companies making extra money off the same track by releasing a 12" and charging double single prices for it.


 Jungle_Jim wrote:
I hate 80s snare drum sounds (synth drums should be banned outright, but even normal 80s drums always get that gated reverb sound.) And 80s bass guitar sounds are always metallic and tinny - never warm, fat and funky. In fact those DX7 keyboards on most 80s hits sound complete shit as well. I think all the 80s stuff worth hearing needs to be remastered taking away that awful drum sound, get some warmth into the mix and then I'll attempt to listen to it. Echo & Bunnymen is supposed to be good 80s stuff, but it still sounds like crap to me.

 
Music wise the 80's were pretty tinny overall.  You put warmth in and you start having bad 90's style music. You may not like it, I am not a big fan, but it is what it is.

 Jungle_Jim wrote:
I hate 80s snare drum sounds (synth drums should be banned outright, but even normal 80s drums always get that gated reverb sound.) And 80s bass guitar sounds are always metallic and tinny - never warm, fat and funky. In fact those DX7 keyboards on most 80s hits sound complete shit as well. I think all the 80s stuff worth hearing needs to be remastered taking away that awful drum sound, get some warmth into the mix and then I'll attempt to listen to it. Echo & Bunnymen is supposed to be good 80s stuff, but it still sounds like crap to me.

 
Basically, I disagree with you about what you seem to characterize as "80s stuff." But let me ask you this, if you take away all the "stuff" that makes it "80s stuff," what is it?

The only criticism I have for you Bill after listening for years is to play Lips Like Sugar less. Echo has dozens of songs SO MUCH BETTER!!!
 romeotuma wrote:


We be dancing...  love it...

 
 
Right there with you, romeotuma.  It's been a very scary and horrible week, and this song just invaded.  Gotta dance - how could I not? {#Dancingbanana}
I'd love to hear something from The Ocean Blue after this...
 osbyec wrote:


I'm with you on the drum sound.  I just really hate it.
 
Sad thing is that this is one of the more tastefully done 80s drum tracks! Even got my foot tapping after a few seconds.

Fortunately the beat's got a good enough groove to carry it over the processing and default-preset PCM70 reverb... The reversed verb on the muted cowbell hits is a nice touch though, my ears pricked up in delight at that. (it's the little things with me)

With regards to the person who said they were glad that the CD this is from helped them out of the 70s music scene, there was nothing wrong with it! 80s rock/pop had nothing on 70s rock/pop.



We be dancing...  love it...

 
Groovy BB {#Dancingbanana}
This song earns a big sugar kiss from me!
That cover is totally rad.
nice to hear the 12" remix version!


love it...


I bought this CD back in the late 80s. Changed my life and got me out of musical tar pit of 70s music.
she knows who she is...
 Jungle_Jim wrote:
I hate 80s snare drum sounds (synth drums should be banned outright, but even normal 80s drums always get that gated reverb sound.) And 80s bass guitar sounds are always metallic and tinny - never warm, fat and funky. In fact those DX7 keyboards on most 80s hits sound complete shit as well. I think all the 80s stuff worth hearing needs to be remastered taking away that awful drum sound, get some warmth into the mix and then I'll attempt to listen to it. Echo & Bunnymen is supposed to be good 80s stuff, but it still sounds like crap to me.

 

I'm with you on the drum sound.  I just really hate it.
 WayUpNorth wrote:
Everytime I hear this song I become nostalgic for someone I once knew well a loooong time ago but still miss ... amazing
 
Me too - a French au pair that I met circa 1990 in DC.  Spent a lot of wonderful days and nights on the Delaware shore with that girl.  Still remember it as if it were yesterday.


I heard this one in the clubs, back in the day! Any girl who wouldn't dance to this wasn't worth talking to! What a great song/band! {#Dancingbanana}
 peter_james_bond wrote:

Admit it Romeo - you're outsourcing your comment posts. {#Wink}
 


This mix is soooo groooovy, brother...



Everytime I hear this song I become nostalgic for someone I once knew well a loooong time ago but still miss ... amazing
That cover is, to quote Bart Simpson, craptastic.

I hate 80s snare drum sounds (synth drums should be banned outright, but even normal 80s drums always get that gated reverb sound.) And 80s bass guitar sounds are always metallic and tinny - never warm, fat and funky. In fact those DX7 keyboards on most 80s hits sound complete shit as well. I think all the 80s stuff worth hearing needs to be remastered taking away that awful drum sound, get some warmth into the mix and then I'll attempt to listen to it. Echo & Bunnymen is supposed to be good 80s stuff, but it still sounds like crap to me.

 peter_james_bond wrote:

Admit it Romeo - you're outsourcing your comment posts. {#Wink}
 
I wish I'da said that!!!

Sounds like old U2.
This is when ETBM "jumped the shark" for me.  It is just ok.  I like their earlier stuff much more.
And we thought extended dance mixes were a good idea why??????? I love this song, but gawd, these dance mixes sucked in the 80's and suck now. 
 romeotuma wrote:
This mix is soooo good for the ears...
 
Admit it Romeo - you're outsourcing your comment posts. {#Wink}


This mix is soooo good for the ears...



 gloriajanell wrote:
I like this mix.l It's diff from the one we have been hearing for 100 years
 
I don't.  I give the one I know and love a 10.  This a 1.  I think this whole business of remixing is just a gimmick.

Every time I heard the original played here I thought to tell Bill that this version is better- someone else must have got to him first. There's some other good stuff on this comp too- brings back memories of good times!
I like this mix.l It's diff from the one we have been hearing for 100 years

*Great* band that never fails you. A 9 from me.

Looking forward to the new album!


blech.
{#Dance}{#Bounce}
always adored this track...Sweet
{#Bananajam}{#Dancingbanana}{#Motor}{#Bananajumprope}
Cool, an EP :D  I love EP's!

Oh and this is a fun 80's song as well.  The fact that it's in EP format goes from a 7 to an 8...

This record is a great compilation of stuff.
Nice album cover.