[ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Queens of the Stone Age — I Never Came
Album: Lullabies to Paralyze
Avg rating:
7.2

Your rating:
Total ratings: 2102









Released: 2005
Length: 4:44
Plays (last 30 days): 3
When you say it's dead and gone
Yes, I know you're wrong
Cut and slash, sharpest knife
It won't die
Poison cup, drank it up
It won't die
No fire, no gun, no rope, no stone
It won't die

Why you gotta shove it in my face
As if you put me in my place
'Cause I don't care if you or me is wrong or right
Ain't gonna spend another night
In your bed
In your bed

Laws of man are just pretend
They ain't mine
Love so good, love so bad
It won't die
Some talk too long, they know it all
I just smile and move on

Words ain't free, like you and me
I don't mind

Why'd you have to be so mean and cruel?
The dogs are loose, I'm on to you
You ball and chained together from the dawn to dusk
Can't call it leavin', cause it's just
I never came
I never came
I never came
I never came
I never came
I never came
Comments (233)add comment
Kind of a poor man's Radio Head to me. But still likeable.
re Split Enz being an australian band. WRONG. They are a New Zealand band and Neil Finn and at least one other from crowded house are kiwi's.  For some reason anything good that come out of NZ is always claimed by aussies. We can only figure that they are short of artists of their own
David Lowrey is a close neighbor to Borrego Springs, home of radio Paradise ! ! !   They have a campout every year out that way.
 
 MathewWinsor wrote:
You have to listen to an Australian Band  - SplitEnz - (Crowded House) who have a song - Poor Boy which this song has ripped off. Poor Boy was released in the early 1980's. Have a listen.... you'll agree I'm sure. Go here and wait for the chorus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pIdHwOf2c

 
it has similar vibe but it is hardly a rip off
 skuzzfud wrote:

Sticking up for my fellow Aussie here. I definately also thought this sounded like "Poor Boy" by Split Enz.
Maybe it's our Antipodean ears.
 
Fellow people with normal ears: a little help here, please! ;-)
This sounds amazing in headphones.
{#Music}  {#Music}  {#Music}  {#Music}  {#Music}
 lathyris wrote:


What exactly are you smoking? These are completely different songs.

 
Sticking up for my fellow Aussie here. I definately also thought this sounded like "Poor Boy" by Split Enz.
Maybe it's our Antipodean ears.

I must have been asleep when these guys were putting this music out. Good god I do love this band.
 MathewWinsor wrote:
You have to listen to an Australian Band  - SplitEnz - (Crowded House) who have a song - Poor Boy which this song has ripped off. Poor Boy was released in the early 1980's. Have a listen.... you'll agree I'm sure. Go here and wait for the chorus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pIdHwOf2c

 

What exactly are you smoking? These are completely different songs.
You have to listen to an Australian Band  - SplitEnz - (Crowded House) who have a song - Poor Boy which this song has ripped off. Poor Boy was released in the early 1980's. Have a listen.... you'll agree I'm sure. Go here and wait for the chorus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pIdHwOf2c


 patrick30 wrote:
MORE!

 
we want more! {#High-five}
The "guitar solo" in the middle is almost note for note identical to that in Queensryche's Scarborough Fair (not the acoustic version) except it is in a different key.  That gives me an idea for requesting the latter on RP - how about it Bill and Rebecca?
The intro sounded to me like an early Steeleye Span track!
 ScottN wrote:
QOSA.  Why aren't they better known?  Maybe it's me, and they are.  Very Cool Song.

 
Not better known ? I can hardly think of anyone who does not know them.

... yeah I introduced everyone...
Fabulous set the last few minutes! I just tuned in and it's blowing me away. Who needs drugs with music this good?

Keep The Streets Empty For Me - Fever Ray
Band of Skulls Wanderluster - Sweet Sour 
Band of Horses The Funeral - Everything All The Time
Beck Waking Light - Morning Phase
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Sins of My Youth - Hypnotic Eye 
Greg Laswell My Fight (For You) - Take a Bow

 
 bachbeet wrote:
First time I've heard this band and I really like this one.

 
hard to believe... they're considered as one of greatest and most influential acts of the 21st century
At least Santa gets one a year...    corny, I know.  I can't help it, I'm from NJ.
Blech!
MORE!
QOSA.  Why aren't they better known?  Maybe it's me, and they are.  Very Cool Song.
First time I've heard this band and I really like this one.
{#Drummer}
 WonderLizard wrote:

He's here all week, folks. Shows at 9 and 11. And try the veal...



 
Be sure to tip your waitresses . . .
 Dav3thedog wrote:
What happened to this excellent band?
 
No One Knows
8 > 9 Gets better w/ every listen.
{#Dancingbanana}
Joshua Homme is a musical genius!
 fredriley wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...

 
He's here all week, folks. Shows at 9 and 11. And try the veal...


 Dav3thedog wrote:
What happened to this excellent band?
 
New album. Nice review in the New Yorker.
Nice hooks. {#Bananajumprope}


Ducka-ducka-ducka-ducka...
 rockpommel16 wrote:

....may i help you?.........{#Eek}......

 
For your efforts and humor you are awarded 11/10.   {#Crown}
 Dav3thedog wrote:
What happened to this excellent band?
 
They're touring what seems to be the summer festivals this year.
What happened to this excellent band?
 Boy_Wonder wrote:
Poo!
 
on a stick.
 fredriley wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...
 
Taxi for Riley.

Actually,    could I grab a lift? 
As I am almost positive I stated before....Yea Baby!!!......7
Poo!
 Shmelo wrote:
There should be an 11 option for this song. QOTSA for the win.
 
....may i help you?....
This post apparently contained an image that was dragged into the post editor. Sorry, but any text contained in the post after this point has been lost.
Trying hard not to gush right now... One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands ! (hard to limit myself to only one exclamation mark too)

The only thing wrong with this song is that I only caught the last 30 seconds after the PSD song finished playing (Wilco came around...)


The Tantra song!
RAD!!
 Alexandra wrote:
God I LOVE that lead guitar doing its subtle little solo throughout (in your right speaker, if you have headphones on) the verses. This song's many nuances and builds just give me goosebumps every single effing time I listen to it. {#Notworthy}
 
Echo that... I see I posted in April 2011 and it still does it for me
Thanx!!!
There should be an 11 option for this song. QOTSA for the win.
 icemang wrote:

I'm going from a 6 to a 4, so the net is negative one. 

Sure...be that way

EDIT:  I swear to god I did not mean to use that font.   
 MiracleDrug wrote:
BUMP 7 to 8...
 
I'm going from a 6 to a 4, so the net is negative one. 
BUMP 7 to 8...
 fredriley wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...
 
Similar to what I think every time I hear this. {#Lol}
 fredriley wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...
 

Tomorrow is hump day, however.

RP just played Honkey Tonk Women... the drums to this song are very similar... coincidence? i think not.


love the rhythm in this song - are those drumsticks that he's tapping throughout the song?
i just listen to RP for the next song
Saw the lead singer (Josh Homme?) on Anthony Bourdain No Reservation last night. Seems like a pretty cool guy.
 Cynaera wrote:

I was thinking that, too.  I like the song - it's dark and moody, and has a touch of Cream-influence. {#Mrgreen}
 
Melodically, I don't hear that, but the singer does go into that "strained yodeling" technique that Jack Bruce often indulged in.  Quite a likable tune, by the way.

God I LOVE that lead guitar doing its subtle little solo throughout (in your right speaker, if you have headphones on) the verses. This song's many nuances and builds just give me goosebumps every single effing time I listen to it. {#Notworthy}
 valeriogonzalez wrote:
It's different than the common QOTSA style, but it's really cool.
 

Whats the common Qotsa style?

Simply a very good song of a very good band...
 fredriley wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...
 
Ouch. 

Too FUNKY groovy, oh yeah!
{#Dance} run4more wrote:
Every time I hear this I have to look at the playlist and go "oh yeah".  This be good!
 


This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who had his dog castrated then decided to rename him Tomorrow, because Tomorrow never comes.

I'll get me coat...
 apd wrote:

I don't even think Tone Lōc is excited to hear Funky Cold Medina anymore.
 
{#Angel}

Every time I hear this I have to look at the playlist and go "oh yeah".  This be good!
 dreadpixie wrote:
gah!  When I heard the opening few beats I was all excited Bill was playing Funky Cold Medina!  Then it was this.  sigh
 
I don't even think Tone Lōc is excited to hear Funky Cold Medina anymore.
 muse_Kidd wrote:
Faintly reminiscent of the Talking Heads?
 
I was thinking that, too.  I like the song - it's dark and moody, and has a touch of Cream-influence. {#Mrgreen}
Nice song!!
Joshua Homme is one cool rock star dude{#Cool}
It's different than the common QOTSA style, but it's really cool.
Faintly reminiscent of the Talking Heads?
One of my favorites by QOTS!!! {#Good-vibes}

Ahh.... the Ubiquitous Brick Wall Photo.   Can't be a rock band without one.
calypsus_1 wrote:

QOTSA by ~katewtfx
Kate   ©2007-2010 ~katewtfx

Queens of the Stone Age in Toronto
20 August 2007

Joshua Homme, Dean Fertita, Joey Castillo, Michael Shuman, Troy Van Leeuwen
Stand-up dudes.


 


gah!  When I heard the opening few beats I was all excited Bill was playing Funky Cold Medina!  Then it was this.  sigh
New to this group...  thumbs up on what I've heard so far!
 hippiechick wrote:
The title of this song always makes me want to make a Beavis and Butthead joke
 

heh heh... they said Came .... heh heh 
hells yeahhhh qotsa made my night, thanks bill

 nook wrote:
damn it.  i hate when i can't get any work done because i'm playing the drum line with my mouse.  now i have to go back and re-edit my doc, because i have no idea what kind of damage i've done keeping the beat.
 
I thought I was the only one who did that... I hope your doc wasn't in Excel - repairs are horrific. Word is much easier - you can recover a previous doc version. Don't ask how - I only know you can, but I don't know how.  (Hello? Useless much?)  And anyway, it's the music that matters, right?

The title of this song always makes me want to make a Beavis and Butthead joke
l-o-v-e, love, LOVE this song!!!  {#Hearteyes}
don't know if I love those guys,
but love those guys music & musical attitude...
niiiiiice. 

If they never came, they're faking it really well. Waiter, I'll have what they're having.
Jobs suckin, hatin life, want to run away... this comes on to soothe the beast... lucky bastards I work with have no idea how close it was... {#Whistle}

QOTSA by ~katewtfx
Kate   ©2007-2010 ~katewtfx

Queens of the Stone Age in Toronto
20 August 2007

Joshua Homme, Dean Fertita, Joey Castillo, Michael Shuman, Troy Van Leeuwen
Stand-up dudes.

Cheap Kodak film, Ricoh Singlex II.

I wouldn't be singing in such a content tone if the title was my predicament.
damn it.  i hate when i can't get any work done because i'm playing the drum line with my mouse.  now i have to go back and re-edit my doc, because i have no idea what kind of damage i've done keeping the beat.
was that a metradome? Interesting sound. I like it...


 natebett wrote:
About time RP started playing some rock & role.
 
you mean Role Playing?
Only recently discovered this group for me. Thanks RP.
About time RP started playing some rock & role.
 conglif wrote:
Anybody else hear a Roxy Music thang on this one?

 

Hmm.. i might hear some. Never heard this song, but I really really like it.
Coming to rate this an 8. Already did. It's good to be consistent. {#Mrgreen}
 Felix_The_Cat wrote:
Disturbing Album Title, at best...
 
Whereas the song title just implies a rude partner.
 

Disturbing Album Title, at best...
 betsyroks wrote:
sweet song
 
{#High-five}

sweet song
Great song, great band
Thank you. I needed something a little more rock and a little less folk today. Trying to get hours worth of work done in a few hours and this sort of tune makes me sit up and get to work for some reason.
 springsmermaid wrote:
yes i too heard something akin to David Byrne  {#Good-vibes}
  What she said.


Funny all this cowbell talk. I don't think there's any cowbell in here. Sounds like tapping on drum rims to me. I suppose it could be a muted cowbell, but I don't think so.
Nice!!
 peter_james_bond wrote:
We need a moratorium on the cowbell!
 

Never!


please not whininig on friday morning!{#Flamed}
This is one of the songs we cover with our band (no surprise there, since we're a QOTSA cover-band).

Beautiful Chorus, the best part of the whole song. 
{#Dancingbanana}{#Drummer}{#Bananajam}LOVE THIS SONG

Oh my SO David Byrne.  Fun song, had a hard time believing it wasn't DB.
Anybody else hear a Roxy Music thang on this one?

(Not all that obvious, though.)

??


 Bazooka wrote:

Cowbell

 
Bazooka for the WIN!
Hypnotisch.
I can't believe I had this rated 7. Eight and knock knock knocking on number nine's door.
We need a moratorium on the cowbell!

Cowbell


 glydev wrote:
I can only think that this was played right after "Country Honk" because of the famous Jimmy Miller cowbell beat is echoed in this song - how about the Subdudes "All The time In the World" same essential beat (and with out a cowbell)
this song was pretty forgettable..

 

Cowbells!!!!

the drum at the beginning sounds exactly like the drums in a song from Steely Dan which has never been put on e regular album: Ida Lee.
I can only think that this was played right after "Country Honk" because of the famous Jimmy Miller cowbell beat is echoed in this song - how about the Subdudes "All The time In the World" same essential beat (and with out a cowbell)
this song was pretty forgettable..

 jesspra wrote:
"We want sex to bleed into the music. At our shows, we want to see half boys and half girls in a utopian world, dancing and drinking."
QotSA
 
My kind of band! I'll go for that philosophy. Sounds like a grand old craic to me - I wonder if they're playing in Nottingham any time soon?

Either I hear this where ever I go or I am hearing this on RP alot? ???
I'm glad this didn't turn out to be Honky Tonk Woman, which the opening drum line announces. Lot of Byrne/Heads in this one. Solid 7.
Never noticed it before but now that you mention it there is a similarity in the kind of strained quality to the voice (in a good way again). I think Josh pays a bit more attention to hitting the notes though !

ROSSinDETROIT wrote:
Is there anyone else to whom this vocal sounds uncannily like David Byrne (in a good way)?
Is there anyone interested in this band who knows who David Byrne is?



 justin_thyme wrote:
Great tune, great performance, MASTERFUL programming by Bill G! {#Notworthy} The last half hour has been the highlight of my day!   Love, love, love RP!  Thanks, Bill and Rebecca. 
 
I dunno...sometimes I wonder how stuff like this gets recorded.  Then I remember.

Great tune, great performance, MASTERFUL programming by Bill G! {#Notworthy} The last half hour has been the highlight of my day!   Love, love, love RP!  Thanks, Bill and Rebecca. 
Instant coolness.