[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Ryan Adams — Nuclear
Album: Demolition
Avg rating:
6.1

Your rating:
Total ratings: 204









Released: 2002
Length: 3:23
Plays (last 30 days): 0
This is where the summer ends.
In a flash of pure destruction, no one wins.
Go nuclear, nuclear.
The violets in my eyelids goin' red
Sentimental geek.
Shut up and go to sleep.

Oh ohhhhhh.

The calm, the beach and the remains.
Of the bathing suits and Porsches all in flames.
Go nuclear, nuclear.
When I saw her and the Yankees lost to the Braves.
Sentimental geek. Sentimental Geek. Sentimental Geek.
Shut up and go to sleep.

Give me an answer...
Comments (34)add comment
 Vingenzo wrote:
Yeah, he's been acting like an SOB in recent months, cursing out everyone from fans to reviewers ... but dangit if this isn't one of the songs of the year. Just a great mix of straight-up rock riffs and a hint of alt-country twang. Though, what is up with "When I saw her the Yankees lost to the Braves"? That should lose him any NYC fans he gained with "New York, New York" ;-)
 
The idea of going nuclear is that the end of the world is nigh.  And, I believe what he is trying to say, is that he knows the end is near because the Yankees lost to the Brave and the Yankees never lose to the Braves (having beaten them recently, at the time, twice in the World Series).  If anything this line should increase his NYC cred.
Kind of surprised at the low rating, to me this is the good stuff. I hear the guy's kind of dick, but still pretty talented.
I bought this track after hearing it during an NPR interview with him.

If memory serves, he wrote this while his wife (or girlfriend) was dying of cancer.

And if memory doesn't serve, my humble apologies.
 I_am_vertical wrote:
what's all this venom at Ryan? Do you really think Ryan Adams sucks? I think that's just crazy. I think the guy's a genius. dont keep pissing on him. It's pretty rude too. Why would you want to come on this site and insult him . Ryan puts out 3 albums a year because Ryan wants to. I think that's the best possible reason. He has stuff he needs to get out so he makes records. If you don't like them, don't buy them. But don't mistake it for anything but the purest possible artistic integrity. For Ryan, there are no record company or business concerns-just the fact that he makes music when he feels like it and then releases it. You might not love every record but you can't fault the intention or the integrity. At least hes not fucking boring and doesnt stand there and burn holes through his shoes just by looking at them, like some assholes on here do, wasting time saying hes a dick. So fuck off!!! Note: HE IS NOT BRYAN ADAMS BROTHER!!!!!!!
 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

What this person said.
Well, I think I would use less Junior High School vocabulary.

 
It is possible that i_am_vertical was just trying to mimic the "pre-school" quality of the post to which he/she was replying.
OK... I really like this song.
Could it be because the pedal steel right at the opening is the same as...

https://youtu.be/0jTHNBKjMBU


 I_am_vertical wrote:
what's all this venom at Ryan? Do you really think Ryan Adams sucks? I think that's just crazy. I think the guy's a genius. dont keep pissing on him. It's pretty rude too. Why would you want to come on this site and insult him . Ryan puts out 3 albums a year because Ryan wants to. I think that's the best possible reason. He has stuff he needs to get out so he makes records. If you don't like them, don't buy them. But don't mistake it for anything but the purest possible artistic integrity. For Ryan, there are no record company or business concerns-just the fact that he makes music when he feels like it and then releases it. You might not love every record but you can't fault the intention or the integrity. At least hes not fucking boring and doesnt stand there and burn holes through his shoes just by looking at them, like some assholes on here do, wasting time saying hes a dick. So fuck off!!! Note: HE IS NOT BRYAN ADAMS BROTHER!!!!!!!
 
What this person said.
Well, I think I would use less Junior High School vocabulary.
Jeronimus_Funk wrote:
Common guys, this REALLY sucks! Ryan must be the brother of Bryan Adams, who REALLY sucks too! How middle class, how sadly dumb and commercially horrible, this is just the worst song I ever heard on RP, what? ever in my entire life! A monkey banging his head against a wall is more creative, more sophisticated and should deserve a much better life. I know there's music and there's music, a matter of taste mostly, but someone making this kind of crap REALLY deserves to die I think, and not all that comfortable like most penalties. This guy should shallow his guitar while being raped by 12 angry gorillas, internal bleedings causing him to die real slowly, no that's not cruel enough, please help me think of better ways to kill Ryan and his brother Bryan... :moon: (pimp) :moon: :frustrated: :cry: :evil:
Listern to this (click here) it was sooo recorded for you
Ryan Fans, Listern to this, I love it!!!! This is how I feel when people Diss Ryan or my own Music! (click here)
what's all this venom at Ryan? Do you really think Ryan Adams sucks? I think that's just crazy. I think the guy's a genius. dont keep pissing on him. It's pretty rude too. Why would you want to come on this site and insult him . Ryan puts out 3 albums a year because Ryan wants to. I think that's the best possible reason. He has stuff he needs to get out so he makes records. If you don't like them, don't buy them. But don't mistake it for anything but the purest possible artistic integrity. For Ryan, there are no record company or business concerns-just the fact that he makes music when he feels like it and then releases it. You might not love every record but you can't fault the intention or the integrity. At least hes not fucking boring and doesnt stand there and burn holes through his shoes just by looking at them, like some assholes on here do, wasting time saying hes a dick. So fuck off!!! Note: HE IS NOT BRYAN ADAMS BROTHER!!!!!!!
YA know, after Ryan left Whiskeytown (or better, he and Caitlin split) I thought his flame wasn't burning very hot anymore. First time I heard this song now and I have to say that the flame seems to be burning again, but what a price to pay. M Traveller H
Though, what is up with "When I saw her the Yankees lost to the Braves"? That should lose him any NYC fans he gained with "New York, New York" ;-)
The Yankees and the Braves are the epitome of all that is wrong with Major League Baseball. So who cares if one beat the other. Go Royals. :notworthy:
Not one of his better songs... :??:
don't hold back. (so it's true... drugs really ARE legal in Amsterdam...)
Originally Posted by Jeronimus_Funk: Common guys, this REALLY sucks! Ryan must be the brother of Bryan Adams, who REALLY sucks too! How middle class, how sadly dumb and commercially horrible, this is just the worst song I ever heard on RP, what? ever in my entire life! A monkey banging his head against a wall is more creative, more sophisticated and should deserve a much better life. I know there's music and there's music, a matter of taste mostly, but someone making this kind of crap REALLY deserves to die I think, and not all that comfortable like most penalties. This guy should shallow his guitar while being raped by 12 angry gorillas, internal bleedings causing him to die real slowly, no that's not cruel enough, please help me think of better ways to kill Ryan and his brother Bryan... :moon: (pimp) :moon: :frustrated: :cry: :evil:
I liked this tune. Had an old time, grungy indie feel to it. :clap:
The only good thing about this song is that it ends. Blecchhh.
Originally Posted by Jeronimus_Funk: Common guys, this REALLY sucks! Ryan must be the brother of Bryan Adams, who REALLY sucks too! How middle class, how sadly dumb and commercially horrible, this is just the worst song I ever heard on RP, what? ever in my entire life! A monkey banging his head against a wall is more creative, more sophisticated and should deserve a much better life. I know there's music and there's music, a matter of taste mostly, but someone making this kind of crap REALLY deserves to die I think, and not all that comfortable like most penalties. This guy should shallow his guitar while being raped by 12 angry gorillas, internal bleedings causing him to die real slowly, no that's not cruel enough, please help me think of better ways to kill Ryan and his brother Bryan... :moon: (pimp) :moon: :frustrated: :cry: :evil:
WOW! Tell us how you really feel. I know music's supposed to evoke emotion, but maybe you should step away from your speakers for a moment :)
The start of this tune always reminds me of the opening of an old Warner Brothers cartoon....
Common guys, this REALLY sucks! Ryan must be the brother of Bryan Adams, who REALLY sucks too! How middle class, how sadly dumb and commercially horrible, this is just the worst song I ever heard on RP, what? ever in my entire life! A monkey banging his head against a wall is more creative, more sophisticated and should deserve a much better life. I know there\'s music and there\'s music, a matter of taste mostly, but someone making this kind of crap REALLY deserves to die I think, and not all that comfortable like most penalties. This guy should shallow his guitar while being raped by 12 angry gorillas, internal bleedings causing him to die real slowly, no that\'s not cruel enough, please help me think of better ways to kill Ryan and his brother Bryan... :moon: (pimp) :moon: :frustrated: :cry: :evil:
Originally Posted by Vingenzo: Yeah, he's been acting like an SOB in recent months, cursing out everyone from fans to reviewers ... but dangit if this isn't one of the songs of the year. Just a great mix of straight-up rock riffs and a hint of alt-country twang. Though, what is up with "When I saw her the Yankees lost to the Braves"? That should lose him any NYC fans he gained with "New York, New York" ;-)
Damn Straight!! Besides the Yankees never actually did lose tot he Braves...that's one of those Urban Legends. Mariano got the second and third outs...Fox altered the broadcast! :moon: :bounce:
Or as George W. Bush would say, \"Nuc-u-lar.\" :bounce:
A great tune for a long Vancouver island drive to Tofino! ;)
This is the first Ryan Adams song I've actually thought deserved more than a 5. He's just not my style usually, I guess this song is a bit atypical.
Yeah, he\'s been acting like an SOB in recent months, cursing out everyone from fans to reviewers ... but dangit if this isn\'t one of the songs of the year. Just a great mix of straight-up rock riffs and a hint of alt-country twang. Though, what is up with \"When I saw her the Yankees lost to the Braves\"? That should lose him any NYC fans he gained with \"New York, New York\" ;-)
Originally Posted by Atrail: Most of all, ''Demolition'' is possessed by the ghost of Carrie Hamilton, to whom the album is dedicated. The actress and musician (and daughter of Carol Burnett) died of lung cancer in January...
Wow. I'm sad to hear this. I was in school with Carrie for 1st grade. I'll always remember her as a sweet, skinny little kid.
Always enjoyed Whiskeytown, but I haven\'t been knocked out by any of the solo stuff. Songs start out decent enough and then just seem to struggle through to the end. Vocals here not only don\'t grab me but also seem to strain to keep up. Band isn\'t doing anything special behind him that I can tell either. I\'d like to like him more. What am I missing?
Most of all, \'\'Demolition\'\' is possessed by the ghost of Carrie Hamilton, to whom the album is dedicated. The actress and musician (and daughter of Carol Burnett) died of lung cancer in January, at the age of 38, not long after she and Ryan got involved. Album opener \'\'Nuclear\'\' is about the moment they met. \'\'Tomorrow\'\' was cowritten by the couple. \'\'Tennessee Sucks\'\' was an attempt to cheer her up. And the album\'s closing song is, to borrow a phrase, heartbreaking. \'\'Jesus, don\'t touch my baby,\'\' he sings at the very end. \'\'She\'s all I\'ve got.\'\'
On NPR, he said this song was about the first moment he met his girlfriend, who later died of cancer. She was the daughter of a famous actress or model or something. Anyone know who it was?
this song has really grown on me
\"In a flash of pure destruction, no one wins\" I like it!
I'll give ya an answer. No! :moon:
Originally Posted by Carissa: Ah, "A Summer Place." A smash hit by Percy Faith. And one of my father-in-law's favorite songs!... I'm trying to stay open to Ryan Adams, but I just can't help but miss the old Whiskeytown days. I still enjoy their "Strangers Almanac" CD a great deal.
i agree! i so love whiskeytown...and i'm learning to like ryan on his own. he definitely has his own voice...but there's something about the whiskeytown days...there's more fullness to the sound or something.
Ah, \"A Summer Place.\" A smash hit by Percy Faith. And one of my father-in-law\'s favorite songs!... I\'m trying to stay open to Ryan Adams, but I just can\'t help but miss the old Whiskeytown days. I still enjoy their \"Strangers Almanac\" CD a great deal.
O.k. song, but why does he try to sing like Bono?
Kinda has the ring of the instrumental \"Summer Place\". Who did that, Montovanni?