[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:31am
 
Race/Ethnicity-Genetics Connection - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:25am
 
Media Bias - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:16am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:12am
 
Guns - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 4:37am
 
The Netherlands - second - Blackbirds - Apr 12, 2021 - 2:42am
 
Two sexes or ? Gender as a non-binary concept - Jiggz - Apr 12, 2021 - 1:55am
 
A Brave Woman - Jiggz - Apr 12, 2021 - 1:48am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Apr 11, 2021 - 7:49pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Lazy8 - Apr 11, 2021 - 4:02pm
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - Red_Dragon - Apr 11, 2021 - 3:16pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Red_Dragon - Apr 11, 2021 - 2:54pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Apr 11, 2021 - 2:16pm
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Apr 11, 2021 - 8:41am
 
Poetry Forum - GeneP59 - Apr 11, 2021 - 8:28am
 
Death Metal - westslope - Apr 11, 2021 - 8:21am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Apr 11, 2021 - 7:01am
 
Extraordinary Machine - miamizsun - Apr 11, 2021 - 6:50am
 
Iran - Red_Dragon - Apr 11, 2021 - 6:48am
 
Bring Back the New RP Fonts! - GeneP59 - Apr 10, 2021 - 7:56pm
 
Play the Blues - rhahl - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:50pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Apr 10, 2021 - 2:37pm
 
New Music - R_P - Apr 10, 2021 - 11:30am
 
Live Music - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 5:53am
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - rhahl - Apr 10, 2021 - 5:27am
 
Economix - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:50am
 
Race in America - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:22am
 
Freedom of speech? - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:11am
 
So, where do you go, what happens? - oldviolin - Apr 9, 2021 - 6:15pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Apr 9, 2021 - 3:07pm
 
MQA Stream Coming to BLUOS - scoots_mcgoo - Apr 9, 2021 - 3:05pm
 
Funny Videos - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:56pm
 
First World Problems - Lindo525 - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:45pm
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:22pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - haresfur - Apr 9, 2021 - 12:47pm
 
Immigration - black321 - Apr 9, 2021 - 12:04pm
 
LeftWingNutZ - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 10:47am
 
The War On You - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 8:44am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Apr 9, 2021 - 8:34am
 
Trump - R_P - Apr 9, 2021 - 7:21am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - miamizsun - Apr 9, 2021 - 4:49am
 
Joe Biden - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 4:08am
 
What Did You Do Today? - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 8, 2021 - 9:36pm
 
KEEP YOUR MONEY! - haresfur - Apr 8, 2021 - 2:37pm
 
Recommended documentaries - Red_Dragon - Apr 8, 2021 - 2:24pm
 
partial incompatibility with Symantec's Moon Mind2? - BillG - Apr 8, 2021 - 9:51am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - sirdroseph - Apr 8, 2021 - 5:06am
 
True Confessions - oldviolin - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:36pm
 
A designers worst nightmare - kcar - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:00pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - geoff_morphini - Apr 7, 2021 - 9:34pm
 
Beer - GeneP59 - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:29am
 
Breaking News - Red_Dragon - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:00am
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - cc_rider - Apr 7, 2021 - 8:08am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - rhahl - Apr 7, 2021 - 6:22am
 
Questions. - R_P - Apr 6, 2021 - 8:07pm
 
Unusual News - haresfur - Apr 6, 2021 - 5:15pm
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - kcar - Apr 6, 2021 - 4:15pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Apr 6, 2021 - 2:58pm
 
workplaces that work - sirdroseph - Apr 6, 2021 - 4:05am
 
And the good news is.... - haresfur - Apr 5, 2021 - 8:50pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Apr 5, 2021 - 5:32pm
 
RP via Bluesound - Lagging - jarro - Apr 5, 2021 - 4:33pm
 
In My Room - kcar - Apr 5, 2021 - 2:50pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 5, 2021 - 11:23am
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Apr 5, 2021 - 10:33am
 
Israel - westslope - Apr 5, 2021 - 7:22am
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Apr 4, 2021 - 8:10am
 
RP song titles in cache - conkyjoe - Apr 4, 2021 - 7:37am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Blackbirds - Apr 4, 2021 - 6:07am
 
Iphone app "my favourites" - BillG - Apr 3, 2021 - 9:14pm
 
FLAC Streaming - jarro - Apr 3, 2021 - 1:04pm
 
Latin Music - R_P - Apr 3, 2021 - 12:03pm
 
MIXES - miamizsun - Apr 3, 2021 - 6:33am
 
Electronic Music - Manbird - Apr 2, 2021 - 7:44pm
 
Derplahoma! - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 2, 2021 - 1:31pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Guns Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465  Next
Post to this Topic
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 12, 2021 - 4:37am

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Apr 1, 2021 - 9:56am

 Red_Dragon wrote:
 cc_rider wrote:
Another day, another mass shooting. Five this time.
c.
 
'Merica! FREEDOM!!!
 
Five more martyrs for liberty. Think pieces and godly incantations!
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Apr 1, 2021 - 8:23am



 cc_rider wrote:
Another day, another mass shooting. Five this time.
c.
 

'Merica! FREEDOM!!!
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 1, 2021 - 8:13am

Another day, another mass shooting. Five this time.
c.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 1, 2021 - 4:30am

 
 
 
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 1, 2021 - 4:01am

rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 6:30pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
I'm sure some genius is going to point out that he was legally protecting himself while shopping, given the obvious danger that Supermarkets pose (see: Colorado).

What's really sad, is that the nut job Republican congress members from CO are trying to raise money (and here) from the shootings in their own state.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 6:22pm

Gun Violence Deaths: How The U.S. Compares With The Rest Of The World
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 4:15pm

Atlanta police detain man with five guns, body armor in grocery store
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 7:26am

It was revealed yesterday that of the 10 people killed in Monday's gun massacre at the Boulder, Colorado, King Soopers, four of the victims were people who were working there.

The Washington Post has brief profiles of these four people. Here are some excerpts.

• Rikki Olds, 25: "Rikki Olds was a vibrant and strong-willed woman who had shrugged off a covid scare while working at King Soopers, only to be killed in Monday’s shooting. Olds had worked for Kroger grocery stores for about six years, said her uncle, Robert Olds. She was working as a manager Monday.

"'Rikki was a very strong, independent, bubbly, outgoing person,' Robert Olds said. 'She was a people person who loved life'."

The Post goes on: "The pandemic had transformed the grocery store into an uncertain place to work at times, said Carlee Lough, a co-worker. But Olds had always lightened the mood with a joke, her infectious laugh or what everyone called her 'gorilla dance.'

"Olds would walk around, throwing her arms, making funny sounds as pop music played over the store’s speakers, Lough recalled with a laugh. 'She was a fun-loving spirit. … She would do anything to make you smile'."


• Denny Strong, 20: "Denny Stong was training to become a professional pilot. He had worked long hours stocking shelves at King Soopers since late 2018 to earn money for airplane fuel, said Laura Spicer, the mother of Stong’s close friend.

When the coronavirus pandemic began last March, Stong added a border to his Facebook picture that read: 'I can’t stay home, I am a grocery store worker' - an homage to essential workers who have risked their health throughout the crisis … Stong was gregarious, generous, confident and loyal. He was drawn to anything fast, including old muscle cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes and airplanes."


• Teri Leiker, 51: "Teri Leiker was a longtime King Soopers employee who enjoyed attending sporting events and singing songs from the movie Frozen, according to friends who mourned her on social media … Leiker had worked at King Soopers for around 30 years and loved the job, a third friend, Alexis Knutson, wrote on Instagram, adding that she had met the older woman through the Best Buddies program in 2017."

More from the Post: "'I am absolutely heartbroken to share the loss of my friend Teri Leiker,' wrote Katie Rinderknecht, a recent graduate of the University of Colorado at Boulder. She said she met Leiker through the university’s chapter of Best Buddies, which connects students with members of the community with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 'All she knew was how to love and support those that meant a lot to her,' wrote Rinderknecht."


• Neven Stanisic, 23: "Neven Stanisic’s family fled war-torn Bosnia in the 1990s, said Iva Petrovic, the wife of the pastor at their Denver-area church. They left 'everything' behind, she said, Serbian refugees seeking a safe life in the United States. Monday’s shooting brought a whole new world of loss … Twenty-three-year-old Stanisic started working as a teenager, helping to support his family, she said. On Monday he was fixing the coffee machines inside King Soopers, Petrovic said. He was just leaving in his truck when the violence unfolded. Stanisic’s family knew he had a job at King Soopers. They tried to find him - but they couldn’t get anywhere near the scene of the shooting, Petrovic said. Everything was blocked. They called Petrovic and her husband about 3 a.m., crying, to share the terrible news, she said: Neven was dead."

No motive has yet been determined for the shootings.

Jiggz



Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 1:19am



 rgio wrote:


 Jiggz wrote:
Here's some questions for you -

1) say my business or home is continually being robbed after hours or when unoccupied? Say my losses are or have been heavy and law enforcement has been ineffective for whatever reason. Do you think I should be allowed to booby trap my property with either lethal or non-lethal materiel, or rig a shotgun on a tripwire to blast through the door or something?

2) If I wake at 0300 and there are four guys up to no good in the house, I have no idea if they are armed or not....should I be allowed to warn and then fire on them or should I have to wait until I knew for sure that they were armed with firearms and perhaps aiming at or shooting at me before exchanging fire?

3) If they are not armed should I have to watch whilst they carried my possessions out the window and wait until my family is threatened or something before discharging my weapon, or should I be allowed to warn and then let rip?

4) If the intruders are armed with say machetes and swinging them, I might get away with shooting them but...I am not sure I would have a go and take the chance.

5) If someone climbs over the fence at 0300 and is sneaking around my yard and having a go at the windows, there is nothing I can do. Oh...call the cops. Nobody does with any expectation of a response. Because human rights and so on....criminals have rights too, but somehow no concurrent responsibilities.

6) That's the kinda thing that made me align more with conservatives.





 
1)  Slippery slope...but I'll play along.  You can do whatever you want on your property, but if harm comes to others you will have to explain the justification or be punished as if you were there, doing it.  The neighborhood 12 year olds set off your trip wire and die...you're going to jail for life as a murderer.  Someone breaks into the building and dies...you'd better feel comfortable you can support the level of your response.  Is the life of serial criminal worth putting you away for?  That's gonna be up to the jury.

Some housekeeping....If I were king of the world and could snap my fingers to implement change....I'd allow rifles in the US as legal firearms.  You can have all the sport you need with a rifle.  Handguns would be illegal for no-law enforcement.  Obviously, automatic weapons and multi-shot cartridges would be illegal.  No carry off your own property. If you're on your way to the range or hunting...secured in your vehicle.

2)In your house...warn and fire.

3) Yes.  If you shoot anyone in the back you're likely gonna serve time in my world.

4) See rule #3.  Shoot em in the front...they had it coming.

5) rule #3.  One foot inside the house...make sure the bullet(s) hits 'em in the front.

All of this shooting assumes a rifle, on your property.  

The problem I have with conservatives is that they feel some sort of divine right to own and carry wherever they want because a document written 250 years ago said it was OK.  

I worked in Texas a few years ago (for 2 years), and I think I have a fair sense of the issues.  The problem with today's discussion is the sense of "personality" we've embraced with one another.  We post pictures of food, and travel, and events...wait of it...and guns, as some sort of statement we want the world to believe about ourselves.  One woman who worked for me had a sign on her front door about having a gun...not as a threat, but as a statement about who she is.  She isn't going to kill people at the local supermarket, but her having the freedom to carry a concealed weapon into the supermarket makes no sense.  If I had transferred her to the NY office...she would have moved and not thought twice about carrying a gun to Zabars...but in Texas, the rhetoric around individual rights has strangled common sense.  As pointed out somewhere here...the moment you start to search for a middle ground, the accusations start and the yelling gets louder and louder.

Knowing how to push that button is what made Trump so popular.  He doesn't promise anything...just that he ISN'T going let all those bad things those liberals want to do happen.  He isn't the problem, he's merely the most skilled exploiting the weaknesses within our ever more angry, less happy, more exhausted country.  The proof of the divide is the lack of Republican support for anything Biden now.  Republican's are convinced that any break from the tribe, no matter how reasonable or important, will result in rejection from the base and an inability to get through a primary, where some nut-job will espouse Qanon theory and win the run-off.

It's sad.
 
We kinda agree on a lot, however our laws here disagree with both of us.

I may not do whatever I want on my property, we don't have the luxury of that kind of freedom and liberty.

1) Though I completely agree with what you've written, the law here says different. My home is not my castle.
2) I agree with you completely, but the law here says I have to wait until my life is clearly at risk. The need to prove that in a court usually means I would be dead before I am able to fire a shot. Years ago I found a bloke rummaging through my Kombi on a Saturday morning in town. He'd bust a window and was tossing my belongings onto the pavement for removal. I hauled him out and because I had no idea if he was armed or not I pressed hard and kicked him unconscious on the side of the road until backing off but still keeping him subdued until law enforcement eventually arrived. He was carrying a long screwdriver on his person which helped me in court because I was questioned long and hard about the level of violence I had inflicted on him, though he was a known habitual criminal with a record as long as the Nile. I was, in fact, in trouble myself but the fact that he had a screwdriver on him got me out of that trouble, in that I had assumed he was armed and acted accordingly and my attorney had argued well. If he was unarmed the outcome could have been different. I remember the questioning leading along the lines of military history and if I had studied martial arts etc, as if looking for a way to find me guilty of using excessive force. It was sobering. If I had shot him I'd have gone away to eat porridge for a long time.
3) I agree with you completely, but the law here says  I can't do that. I can watch whilst they load up my stuff into my truck, waiting for the defunded police to arrive.....and watch them drive away.
4) I agree completely, but the burden of proof in a captured and crooked judicial system means I would probably not fire but try to carve them up with my own machete, kept in easy reaching distance along with assorted bats, pickhandles etc.
5) As with all of the above.

The point I have been trying to make is that in effect, on the ground, the uber-liberal laws here ultimately give the criminals more rights than law-abiding citizens, because of all this human rights and no responsibilities nonsense, and from where I am, it looks like a similar thing is coming soon  to a driveway or dark hallway near you.
The wedge begins very thin and barely noticeable, 20 years later you find yourself in our situation.
The left has no boundaries, because whatever boundary you might draw implies I can take up a position to the left of that boundary and force you to shift that boundary on the basis of victimisation or exclusion or discrimination or whatever, and so the boundaries keep shifting further and further left until it all becomes an impossible shitshow.
My experience has been that we tend to all be able to agree on boundaries to the right - say, Hitler.
It might change when pedophiles begin to claim victimisation and discrimination on the basis of sexual preference, and begin demanding laws be changed to suit their proclivities.
Then America might wake up, but probably not.
There'll be some minimum age guideline or something for a while, more likely.
I hope not, obviously.
And I hope nothing happens in anyone's darkened hallway.

To me, Trump represented a return to common sense and a more pragmatic set of rules. And he clearly appealed to a massive group who see things in a similar way to myself, in one way or another. A return to common sense and pragmatism.

I like your King for a day idea but I would not delete handguns, just make owning and carrying one a right to be earned through proving competence and suitability for ownership. I say this because criminals will always have handguns and a rifle in CQC is not always ideal.

Though I enjoy Texas (folks are generally so polite to each other, because everyone is packing) I also find it odd the way people advertise their gun ownership. It might be a deterrent to problem seekers but I do find it odd. Anytime I am armed I prefer surprise to be on my side. I don't own any weapons anymore besides a disabled Italian .25 pistol that someone brought back from a long internement in a WW2 prisoner of war camp that almost killed him. I haven't yet been able to bring myself to throw it overboard because of what it represented to him, but I will have to soon. As I have said, we have been effectively disarmed, ever so slowly and surreptitiously, over time.

I look forward to living in a country that doesn't require hyper-vigilance in order to survive, where I won't need to determine transition zones and choke points whilst going about daily life, where I will not need my windows and doors to look like that of a prison cell ( as I write I am very aware of the fact that there are currently two open points of ingress unbarred and unlocked), where my kid can play outside and where I can deal with 27 years of PTSD from living in what amounts to a combat zone.
I have lost count exactly but I have been burgled somewhere around 30 times including car breakins, been the subject of two farm attacks myself and don't know anyone who hasn't been the victim of or directly related to someone who has been the victim of violent crime, and frankly, I am tired of living like this. I don't want to raise another kid like this.
They can take their liberal constitution, their liberal race-based equity laws, their human rights for all - and shove it.
I am done.

I kinda like that we agree on some stuff though.

Jiggz



Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 12:06am



 kurtster wrote:
 

Too many people crammed into too small a space...for sure. Put enough rats in a cage and they will begin eating each other. Competition for resources.....and what Sirdroseph said below, culture....from the migration of people in the East of the USA to the West, things were settled with cordite smoke, if movies, books and so on are to be believed.

I also think what our resident Canadian Marx-lookalike  noted probably has some truth in it (OK, he doesn't have the beardie) , that the progression of oneself at the expense of others is pretty much OK and even applauded. I may be wrong here, and I am not suggesting a socialist alternative is in any way better (though it looks like you are going to have a go at that solution anyway in the hope that this time it'll be the glorious answer to every problem), but there may be a grain of truth in what he wrote. In a society perceived to be a dog eat dog model, folks who are struggling probably feel way worse than they would in a society perceived to be more mutually supportive. I have only experienced kindness and support from the Americans I have personally interacted with so my mileage figures might be way off what you experience.
Again, culture.


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 10:54am

 islander wrote:
I agree mostly. I do think there is room for some gun regulation. And I think if you need a gun at the grocery/movie/dinner out, then there is a much larger problem that needs to be addressed.  But the pro gun lobby here has won. They are entrenched and will never allow anything that hints of government regulation. so....

Look at our society. Joe Biden once said 

“Don’t tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I’ll tell you what you value.”

We spend a larger amount (by percentage or volume) than any other country on things that go boom and blow shit up. We do this at a cost to our infrastructure, education, health care system and all public commons.  We value conflict and devastation more than peace and well being. Look at our politics for the last decade or two. We don't seek compromise, we seek to win. And all that matters is winning, or trying to hamper those that did win.  This is who we are (collectively). 

I'd love to say we'll turn it around. But I see little evidence that it could even happen. I used to think that if something really bad happened we would come together and find some solutions. But then Sandy hook. And then the others. Maybe a full on civil war would be horrific enough to get people to change, but honestly I doubt it. Even if that did happen, we would just wind up with centuries of ongoing conflict like they have in the middle east. It's apparently just our nature.
 
Woof, woof. Dog eat dog.
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 9:51am



 kurtster wrote:


by my understanding only 9% had anything to do with Covid itself

 

9%? Maybe direct spending on Covid - testing, vaccine...was 9%. But over 90% of the stimulus was related to the impact of covid.
Despite the bill receiving partisan votes, most polls show it is broadly supported by most of americans....
but that still doesn't make it a good bill,
just odd that it received no GOP support, despite the wishes of their constituents. 
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 9:36am

 Jiggz wrote:

But the reason I wanted to respond to your post was to ask, not just of you but of everyone else here, out of genuine curiosity and interest, why is it that Canada to your north has pretty much the same kind of per capita gun ownership numbers as the USA but only a fraction of the fatal shootings and mass slaughters that you have in the US?
What makes the difference, in your opinion?

It's a question that has always intrigued me.
 
In addition to the other responses to this question, I would add population density.

People here are being crammed into increasingly tighter spaces on top of each other with little breathing room or space to relax.

USA

Population
• 2019 estimate
Increase 328,239,523[8] (3rd)
• 2010 census
308,745,538[d][12] (3rd)
• Density
87/sq mi (33.6/km2) (146th)

Canada

Population
• Q4 2020 estimate
38,008,005[6] (38th)
• 2016 census
35,151,728[7]
• Density
10.2/sq mi (3.92/km2  (185th)


Then there is respect / trust of government in Canada and the lack of it in the USA.

I want to add one more to this and it would be priorities.  We just had a so called $1.9 Trillion Covid Relief plan passed where by my understanding only 9% had anything to do with Covid itself.  How much of the rest was devoted exclusively to mental health ?  I do not know the answer, but am going to guess, very little if any.

Just thoughts off of the top of my head in regards to your question.

rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 9:06am



 Jiggz wrote:
Here's some questions for you -

1) say my business or home is continually being robbed after hours or when unoccupied? Say my losses are or have been heavy and law enforcement has been ineffective for whatever reason. Do you think I should be allowed to booby trap my property with either lethal or non-lethal materiel, or rig a shotgun on a tripwire to blast through the door or something?

2) If I wake at 0300 and there are four guys up to no good in the house, I have no idea if they are armed or not....should I be allowed to warn and then fire on them or should I have to wait until I knew for sure that they were armed with firearms and perhaps aiming at or shooting at me before exchanging fire?

3) If they are not armed should I have to watch whilst they carried my possessions out the window and wait until my family is threatened or something before discharging my weapon, or should I be allowed to warn and then let rip?

4) If the intruders are armed with say machetes and swinging them, I might get away with shooting them but...I am not sure I would have a go and take the chance.

5) If someone climbs over the fence at 0300 and is sneaking around my yard and having a go at the windows, there is nothing I can do. Oh...call the cops. Nobody does with any expectation of a response. Because human rights and so on....criminals have rights too, but somehow no concurrent responsibilities.

6) That's the kinda thing that made me align more with conservatives.





 
1)  Slippery slope...but I'll play along.  You can do whatever you want on your property, but if harm comes to others you will have to explain the justification or be punished as if you were there, doing it.  The neighborhood 12 year olds set off your trip wire and die...you're going to jail for life as a murderer.  Someone breaks into the building and dies...you'd better feel comfortable you can support the level of your response.  Is the life of serial criminal worth putting you away for?  That's gonna be up to the jury.

Some housekeeping....If I were king of the world and could snap my fingers to implement change....I'd allow rifles in the US as legal firearms.  You can have all the sport you need with a rifle.  Handguns would be illegal for no-law enforcement.  Obviously, automatic weapons and multi-shot cartridges would be illegal.  No carry off your own property. If you're on your way to the range or hunting...secured in your vehicle.

2)In your house...warn and fire.

3) Yes.  If you shoot anyone in the back you're likely gonna serve time in my world.

4) See rule #3.  Shoot em in the front...they had it coming.

5) rule #3.  One foot inside the house...make sure the bullet(s) hits 'em in the front.

All of this shooting assumes a rifle, on your property.  

The problem I have with conservatives is that they feel some sort of divine right to own and carry wherever they want because a document written 250 years ago said it was OK.  

I worked in Texas a few years ago (for 2 years), and I think I have a fair sense of the issues.  The problem with today's discussion is the sense of "personality" we've embraced with one another.  We post pictures of food, and travel, and events...wait of it...and guns, as some sort of statement we want the world to believe about ourselves.  One woman who worked for me had a sign on her front door about having a gun...not as a threat, but as a statement about who she is.  She isn't going to kill people at the local supermarket, but her having the freedom to carry a concealed weapon into the supermarket makes no sense.  If I had transferred her to the NY office...she would have moved and not thought twice about carrying a gun to Zabars...but in Texas, the rhetoric around individual rights has strangled common sense.  As pointed out somewhere here...the moment you start to search for a middle ground, the accusations start and the yelling gets louder and louder.

Knowing how to push that button is what made Trump so popular.  He doesn't promise anything...just that he ISN'T going let all those bad things those liberals want to do happen.  He isn't the problem, he's merely the most skilled exploiting the weaknesses within our ever more angry, less happy, more exhausted country.  The proof of the divide is the lack of Republican support for anything Biden now.  Republican's are convinced that any break from the tribe, no matter how reasonable or important, will result in rejection from the base and an inability to get through a primary, where some nut-job will espouse Qanon theory and win the run-off.

It's sad.
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 8:01am



 rgio wrote:
The Right is just so sad.  The inability to rationally see guns as a problem is the easiest example of pure stupid.  It's why I had to join the libs...at least they think about something beyond themselves.
 

I have to say, while I acknowledge the dangers implicit in the generalization and the oversimplification, I have had this thought more and more in recent years.
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 7:35am



 Jiggz wrote:


 
 
It's probably just me but, man........the media is poisonous over there.
Divisive politics needn't be but are because...media. I see it from over here; this channel decries x and applauds y and never mentions z; that channel applauds x, decries z and never mentions y.
Two different planets...until we are fact-checking each other and telling each other to fuck off and ultimately shooting at each other.....
The media......I truly think so.

Who benefits from you all being at each others throats?
Who benefits from you being so absorbed and distracted by all the crap you are so absorbed and distracted by?
Who benefits from you disliking me and me disliking you?
Who benefits from the dissolution of the nuclear family, from conspicuous consumption?
Who benefits from any happenings that make you feel I need to surrender my weapons and make me feel I am losing my liberties?

In there is the answer.
 

All or nothing politics is not the answer.
Bringing it back  to guns, you have one loud group saying take them away,
and another loud group saying, over my dead body.

In there is a compromise, and logical solutions.
Background checks, chips that lock up guns, or at least alert the police when a gun is within x yards of a school, or other public venue...
It honestly can't be that hard, if...people are reasonable. 
Jiggz



Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 7:27am



 black321 wrote:


 islander wrote:

  

I agree mostly. I do think there is room for some gun regulation. And I think if you need a gun at the grocery/movie/dinner out, then there is a much larger problem that needs to be addressed.  But the pro gun lobby here has won. They are entrenched and will never allow anything that hints of government regulation. so....

Look at our society. Joe Biden once said 

“Don’t tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I’ll tell you what you value.”

We spend a larger amount (by percentage or volume) than any other country on things that go boom and blow shit up. We do this at a cost to our infrastructure, education, health care system and all public commons.  We value conflict and devastation more than peace and well being. Look at our politics for the last decade or two. We don't seek compromise, we seek to win. And all that matters is winning, or trying to hamper those that did win.  This is who we are (collectively). 

I'd love to say we'll turn it around. But I see little evidence that it could even happen. I used to think that if something really bad happened we would come together and find some solutions. But then Sandy hook. And then the others. Maybe a full on civil war would be horrific enough to get people to change, but honestly I doubt it. Even if that did happen, we would just wind up with centuries of ongoing conflict like they have in the middle east. It's apparently just our nature. 

 

We don't seek compromise....absolutely correct. It's why Washington is so broken. Not because of over-reaching regulations, socialism, capitalism, inequality, racism...though these are all issues we must deal with, the larger reason is the winner take all, no compromise, elections have consequences, executive orders....divisive politics. One look no harder than the last four years, and likely these next to see this. 

Whose fault is this?

The media? A modern relativism culture? Dissolution of the nuclear family? Conspicuous consumption (once a dirty word, now an economic philosophy)? American individualism that heretofore had made us great?

I used to also think that something bad would bring us together. Like city riots, capital riot, or a pandemic...where we all could join together, despite our differences, to solve the problem. The reaction to 9/11 was a  facade. It appeared to bring us together, but it really wasnt much more than a lot flag waving by scared folks. And then, the fights over the $ (9/11 fund), which continue to this day. 

Anyway, rant over. Despite all these...I'm still keeping hope alive, or these fears will win. 

 
It's probably just me but, man........the media is poisonous over there.
Divisive politics needn't be but are because...media. I see it from over here; this channel decries x and applauds y and never mentions z; that channel applauds x, decries z and never mentions y.
Two different planets...until we are fact-checking each other and telling each other to fuck off and ultimately shooting at each other.....
The media......I truly think so.

Who benefits from you all being at each others throats?
Who benefits from you being so absorbed and distracted by all the crap you are so absorbed and distracted by?
Who benefits from you disliking me and me disliking you?
Who benefits from the dissolution of the nuclear family, from conspicuous consumption?
Who benefits from any happenings that make you feel I need to surrender my weapons and make me feel I am losing my liberties?

In there is the answer.
Jiggz



Posted: Mar 23, 2021 - 7:12am



 rgio wrote:


 Coaxial wrote:
Universal health care that includes help for the mentally ill in Canada, Here the government has defunded much of the care available for those that need it the most and more and more people fall through the cracks until it is too late and they act out violently.
 
I'll agree mental health support is a problem, but lets not ignore the fact that Americans are growing more stupid every day.


The problem with America is this sense of Individualism.  I have a right to own an assault rifle.  I don't have to wear a mask.  I should be able to eat in a restaurant, go to the gym, see a movie.  But when it comes to you...well you shouldn't have the right to an abortion, because that kills innocent lives.  WTF?

Give that guy yesterday handguns and he kills fewer people.  Give him knives and maybe a couple die. 

The 2nd amendment was written for a country of farmers without a national army, to enable local militia to protect the nation.  They used one-shot rifles that took a minute to reload...thus the need for a bayonet. 

Rugged Individuals.  Personal rights. Freedom.  Liberation.  Oh wait...I don't have a job....blame everyone else.  Too much competition...close the border!  Build that wall!  I'm tough and should do whatever I want...but I can't win a job against the uneducated illegals stealing our livelihoods.


 
Much for me to think about here - ta, mate.

I have to agree about AR-15's - I don't think there is any need for them or any of the auto or semi-auto weaponry.
What a handgun can't sort out a shotgun should, or if we are talking about something downrange, a bolt- or lever-action rifle with a reasonable sized mag. Have a scope, modify and customise to your hearts content for range and accuracy.
I don't think there is much argument for automatic rifles - they are purely for mowing down people and your 2nd Amendment point is something I haven't ever thought of before, and there is for sure truth in there. Definitely worth thinking more about....even cap and ball revolvers are nothing like the automatic pistols with 12 shot mags of today....very interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it.

I see your point about the handguns and knives - however I would have to argue that as long as criminals have guns people should be allowed to have guns as well.
When criminals are armed only with knives and bats then sure, allow people to have only knives and bats.
But an unarmed populace against armed criminals in an environment of defunding and tearing down of policing services - nope, sorry.
I know what that feels like and it's not cool.

Here's some questions for you - say my business or home is continually being robbed after hours or when unoccupied? Say my losses are or have been heavy and law enforcement has been ineffective for whatever reason. Do you think I should be allowed to booby trap my property with either lethal or non-lethal materiel, or rig a shotgun on a tripwire to blast through the door or something?
If I wake at 0300 and there are four guys up to no good in the house, I have no idea if they are armed or not....should I be allowed to warn and then fire on them or should I have to wait until I knew for sure that they were armed with firearms and perhaps aiming at or shooting at me before exchanging fire? If they are not armed should I have to watch whilst they carried my possessions out the window and wait until my family is threatened or something before discharging my weapon, or should I be allowed to warn and then let rip?

The way the law is in my country now, which has regressed from where your country is now in this regard to where we are over only 25 years, is that I can't fire until fired upon or until I can prove I would have been fired upon, and if not threatened in any way I really can't do anything except watch as they carry my shit out to my truck and drive away. Oh, I can call the defunded cops and expect them to maybe show up in a day or two...maybe. If the intruders are armed with say machetes and swinging them, I might get away with shooting them but...I am not sure I would have a go and take the chance.
If someone climbs over the fence at 0300 and is sneaking around my yard and having a go at the windows, there is nothing I can do. Oh...call the cops. Nobody does with any expectation of a response.
Because human rights and so on....criminals have rights too, but somehow no concurrent responsibilities.
That's the kinda thing that made me align more with conservatives.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Good points overall in your post though, thanks again.



Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465  Next