[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - kcar - Sep 15, 2019 - 1:27pm
 
Guns - oldviolin - Sep 15, 2019 - 1:18pm
 
Trump - R_P - Sep 15, 2019 - 12:45pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 15, 2019 - 12:33pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 15, 2019 - 11:55am
 
9/11 - westslope - Sep 15, 2019 - 11:33am
 
Interesting or Weird Cover Versions - SeriousLee - Sep 15, 2019 - 10:52am
 
What are you listening to now? - SeriousLee - Sep 15, 2019 - 10:33am
 
Australia has Disappeared - Coaxial - Sep 15, 2019 - 7:20am
 
What makes you smile? - SeriousLee - Sep 15, 2019 - 6:18am
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Sep 15, 2019 - 6:00am
 
FLAC stream - amokbunny - Sep 15, 2019 - 4:21am
 
What Did You See Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 14, 2019 - 9:23pm
 
(Big) Media Watch - R_P - Sep 14, 2019 - 6:21pm
 
Trump Lies - westslope - Sep 14, 2019 - 5:31pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Sep 14, 2019 - 3:45pm
 
FLAC blocks - BillG - Sep 14, 2019 - 2:53pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - SeriousLee - Sep 14, 2019 - 1:25pm
 
Name My Band - Isabeau - Sep 14, 2019 - 1:19pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - SeriousLee - Sep 14, 2019 - 1:14pm
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - SeriousLee - Sep 14, 2019 - 11:49am
 
Saudi Arabia - R_P - Sep 14, 2019 - 11:02am
 
President Elizabeth Warren - westslope - Sep 13, 2019 - 3:00pm
 
The Obituary Page - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 13, 2019 - 2:46pm
 
Word of the Day - buzz - Sep 13, 2019 - 12:37pm
 
One Partying State - Wyoming News - ptooey - Sep 13, 2019 - 12:15pm
 
Counting with Pictures - SeriousLee - Sep 13, 2019 - 11:54am
 
Democratic Party - miamizsun - Sep 13, 2019 - 11:54am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - SeriousLee - Sep 13, 2019 - 11:38am
 
BACK TO THE 80's - R_P - Sep 13, 2019 - 10:38am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - BillG - Sep 13, 2019 - 9:53am
 
Back to the 70's - Proclivities - Sep 13, 2019 - 6:42am
 
Favorite Monsters - SeriousLee - Sep 13, 2019 - 12:55am
 
OUR CATS!! - SeriousLee - Sep 13, 2019 - 12:54am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Sep 12, 2019 - 11:10pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 12, 2019 - 7:28pm
 
Would you order a nuclear counter-attack? - Steely_D - Sep 12, 2019 - 2:24pm
 
HomeKit HomePod AppleTV - BillG - Sep 12, 2019 - 12:19pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - R_P - Sep 12, 2019 - 11:15am
 
PUNS - CARS - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 12, 2019 - 10:01am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - kurtster - Sep 12, 2019 - 8:31am
 
Reviews and Pix from your concerts and shows you couldn't... - Coaxial - Sep 12, 2019 - 8:19am
 
Republican Party - Steely_D - Sep 12, 2019 - 5:17am
 
Cause of Poverty - R_P - Sep 11, 2019 - 10:11pm
 
Pick a sport, any sport - haresfur - Sep 11, 2019 - 6:29pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - haresfur - Sep 11, 2019 - 3:29pm
 
Thorium Power - haresfur - Sep 11, 2019 - 3:17pm
 
What the world needs now is .... - haresfur - Sep 11, 2019 - 3:10pm
 
'Til Death - miamizsun - Sep 11, 2019 - 1:01pm
 
Favorite Quotes - sirdroseph - Sep 11, 2019 - 12:07pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 11, 2019 - 11:30am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Sep 11, 2019 - 10:27am
 
Alternate Streams on Sonos? - RobOK - Sep 11, 2019 - 8:12am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 10, 2019 - 10:58pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - PoundPuppy - Sep 10, 2019 - 9:47pm
 
Pence - R_P - Sep 10, 2019 - 6:44pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 10, 2019 - 6:26pm
 
How's the weather? - westslope - Sep 10, 2019 - 5:06pm
 
Robots - haresfur - Sep 10, 2019 - 3:51pm
 
Brexit - R_P - Sep 10, 2019 - 3:43pm
 
Aliens, Aliens! - haresfur - Sep 10, 2019 - 3:42pm
 
THE SFW winter Manbird oldslabsides OV thread, but WHY? - oldviolin - Sep 10, 2019 - 12:41pm
 
China - R_P - Sep 10, 2019 - 12:18pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - miamizsun - Sep 10, 2019 - 10:06am
 
Sarah Palin - westslope - Sep 10, 2019 - 9:40am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Proclivities - Sep 10, 2019 - 7:59am
 
Haiti - miamizsun - Sep 10, 2019 - 6:06am
 
Play the Blues - sirdroseph - Sep 10, 2019 - 5:13am
 
Skip with F9 Next key on MacOS - q4Fry - Sep 9, 2019 - 10:52am
 
Environmental, Brilliance or Stupidity - Proclivities - Sep 9, 2019 - 9:53am
 
Words that should be put on the substitutes bench for a year - sirdroseph - Sep 9, 2019 - 9:51am
 
France - jasko - Sep 9, 2019 - 2:49am
 
Cowboy Bebop theme "Tank" by the Seatbelts - mariodrv - Sep 8, 2019 - 10:42pm
 
Fox Spews - kurtster - Sep 8, 2019 - 7:58pm
 
Unusual News - BlueHeronDruid - Sep 8, 2019 - 6:31pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Guns Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459  Next
Post to this Topic
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 1:18pm



 westslope wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

.......

For some reason, I remembered a goof that I wanted to do back in the day but never did when I ran a plaza on the Ohio Turnpike.  I wanted to superglue a quarter to the terrazzo floors in the plaza and watch all the people try and pick it up.  It was only a thought.  I never got bored enough to actually ever do it though. 
 

There is a riddle popular with some economics instructors:     

Question:  Why can you never find a $20 bill on the ground?   Answer:  Somebody else picked it up before you got there.
 

I seemed to remember the riddle being used to introduce the concept of arbitrage.   I suppose it could be used to introduce the fleeting, temporary nature of windfalls.


 

That was me a few days ago. Yeah I found it there in the grocery store parking lot. Never found a 20 before. 
 Can't say I saved it though. Had a hole in my pocket
somewhere. 
 It stands to reason...
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 12:41pm



 kurtster wrote:

.......

For some reason, I remembered a goof that I wanted to do back in the day but never did when I ran a plaza on the Ohio Turnpike.  I wanted to superglue a quarter to the terrazzo floors in the plaza and watch all the people try and pick it up.  It was only a thought.  I never got bored enough to actually ever do it though. 
 

There is a riddle popular with some economics instructors:     

Question:  Why can you never find a $20 bill on the ground?   Answer:  Somebody else picked it up before you got there.
 

I seemed to remember the riddle being used to introduce the concept of arbitrage.   I suppose it could be used to introduce the fleeting, temporary nature of windfalls.


I like to bend over and pick up copper pennies (no longer legal currency in Canada).  At first glance, that suggests I am the most irrational person you could imagine.  But I enjoy stretching my tendons and am very proud of the fact that I can actually quickly bend over and pick up something when most of my peers can no longer do that.  Silly pride and vanity.......

kurtster, if you had followed through on this prankish thought, I bet some people would have stubbornly picked away at that quarter piece until it came off the floor.  Not matter how time constrained they were.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 12:12pm

 westslope wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

Not a spelling error.  Just a typical liberal gun confiscating unknowing knee jerk politically motivated reactionary statement not based upon any facts.
......
 
It just takes a tiny sprinkle of catalyst to bring the American culture wars boiling to the top.



 
Doesn't take much these days, does it ?

For some reason, I remembered a goof that I wanted to do back in the day but never did when I ran a plaza on the Ohio Turnpike.  I wanted to superglue a quarter to the terrazzo floors in the plaza and watch all the people try and pick it up.  It was only a thought.  I never got bored enough to actually ever do it though. 
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 11:29am



 kurtster wrote:

Not a spelling error.  Just a typical liberal gun confiscating unknowing knee jerk politically motivated reactionary statement not based upon any facts.
......
 
It just takes a tiny sprinkle of catalyst to bring the American culture wars boiling to the top.



R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 10:54am

 kurtster wrote:
Like I said earlier
 
Indeed, except it shows you were spouting out of your preferred orifice.

If it were "official", Coons would fall in line and support it... It's also not as extreme as your ilk makes it out to be.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 15, 2019 - 3:28am

 R_P wrote: 
Like I said earlier and Coons was one of who I was referring to :
.
 kurtster wrote:

  I have already seen other democrats in Congress call this a bad turn of events after the fact, but no one on stage did.  
  
Just so you know, Congress refers to both Houses of Congress, The Senate and The House of Representatives.

You're welcome.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 9:25pm

"It's official now, ..."
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 7:40pm

 steeler wrote:
I believe Klobuchar said in that debate that she would support a voluntary buyback.
 
From what I could find in a google search, this is as close as I could find that agrees with what you stated, to a certain extent.

Beto and friends elevate the culture war to literal war

Amy Klobuchar offered the closest thing to disagreement when she said she would “begin with” voluntary gun buybacks. But even that implies a threatened second step that goes beyond “voluntary.” When you offer voluntary buybacks followed by mandatory buybacks, the "voluntary" part is a bit less voluntary. So the gun “buybacks” at play here are simply compensated confiscation. This is a terrifying premise.

Hedging herself with 'begin with" is not a real disagreement.  It just makes her even more disingenuous, slimier and dangerous in my mind.

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 7:03pm



 kurtster wrote:

I guess that you do not understand the format in place.  It was a formal debate, where candidates generally challenge each other's positions in order to differentiate themselves.  The topic of gun control is a red hot issue.  I have already seen other democrats in Congress call this a bad turn of events after the fact, but no one on stage did.  They all had the opportunity to do so.  The ones on stage are the ones who matter.  As I said before, the time and place to disagree was then and there, during the debate.
 
Beto O'Rourke: 'Hell Yes, We're Going To Take Your AR-15'

Advocating for gun control is no longer enough. On Thursday night, the Democratic presidential candidates promised gun confiscation.
 

I believe Klobuchar said in that debate that she would support a voluntary buyback.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 5:23pm

 R_P wrote:

LOL. Guess you still don't get the argument from silence. Must be why you keep using it so often. "I see group X hasn't posted about this very important event in the forum, therefor it means this or that!"
 
I guess that you do not understand the format in place.  It was a formal debate, where candidates generally challenge each other's positions in order to differentiate themselves.  The topic of gun control is a red hot issue.  I have already seen other democrats in Congress call this a bad turn of events after the fact, but no one on stage did.  They all had the opportunity to do so.  The ones on stage are the ones who matter.  As I said before, the time and place to disagree was then and there, during the debate.
 
Beto O'Rourke: 'Hell Yes, We're Going To Take Your AR-15'

Advocating for gun control is no longer enough. On Thursday night, the Democratic presidential candidates promised gun confiscation.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 4:31pm

 kurtster wrote:
Just had to call out what you accuse everyone else of ... whataboutism and using a false equivalent in the process no less.
 
LOL. Guess you still don't get the argument from silence. Must be why you keep using it so often. "I see group X hasn't posted about this very important event in the forum, therefor it means this or that!"

Since I haven't seen you criticize Trump's ridiculous notion, I am just going to assume you believe windmills cause cancer...

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 3:52pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
I fail to understand your avoidance to answer the question directly.  You have no dog in this hunt, so to speak.
 
And, if I recall correctly, neither have you. (Unless the chronic lack of wall has compelled you to buy an AR15/AK47 so you can help stop the impending doom of the invasion!)

Your argument from silence (while misrepresenting the importance a TV debate) is just that:

I've not seen you condemn your rapey President, therefor you (and the rest of The Party) probably condone it. Or worse...
 
Just had to call out what you accuse everyone else of ... whataboutism and using a false equivalent in the process no less.
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 1:33am



 haresfur wrote:
I don't think a mandatory buy-back for semi-automatic rifles is the way to go in the US, I do think their sale should be banned and a voluntary buy-back put in place. High-capacity magazines should be banned. Owners should be banned from carrying them in public places or using them for hunting (if you can't drop that deer with a shot, don't take the shot). They shouldn't be allowed to fire them on private property unless lives are in imminent danger. Gun ranges should be allowed to acquire a license to have semi-automatic rifles for use only on site, and should be inspected regularly to ensure they are in compliance and the guns are tracked (hey, they are fun, I get it.).

I'm sure there are a few more details to be worked out like maybe limiting the amount of ammunition allowed, and perhaps allowing family members to inherit your arsenal.
 

This sounds like something HITLER would say!!



sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 1:31am



 haresfur wrote:
I don't think a mandatory buy-back for semi-automatic rifles is the way to go in the US, I do think their sale should be banned and a voluntary buy-back put in place. High-capacity magazines should be banned. Owners should be banned from carrying them in public places or using them for hunting (if you can't drop that deer with a shot, don't take the shot). They shouldn't be allowed to fire them on private property unless lives are in imminent danger. Gun ranges should be allowed to acquire a license to have semi-automatic rifles for use only on site, and should be inspected regularly to ensure they are in compliance and the guns are tracked (hey, they are fun, I get it.).

I'm sure there are a few more details to be worked out like maybe limiting the amount of ammunition allowed, and perhaps allowing family members to inherit your arsenal.
 
And this is how you engage in social discussion.  Yes, this is where the conversation starts and the other side of the argument should present their position and we work from there.  This is called intellectual honesty.   Some people are just too intelligent to understand this simple notion.

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2019 - 12:10am

I don't think a mandatory buy-back for semi-automatic rifles is the way to go in the US, I do think their sale should be banned and a voluntary buy-back put in place. High-capacity magazines should be banned. Owners should be banned from carrying them in public places or using them for hunting (if you can't drop that deer with a shot, don't take the shot). They shouldn't be allowed to fire them on private property unless lives are in imminent danger. Gun ranges should be allowed to acquire a license to have semi-automatic rifles for use only on site, and should be inspected regularly to ensure they are in compliance and the guns are tracked (hey, they are fun, I get it.).

I'm sure there are a few more details to be worked out like maybe limiting the amount of ammunition allowed, and perhaps allowing family members to inherit your arsenal.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 13, 2019 - 9:20pm

 kurtster wrote:
I fail to understand your avoidance to answer the question directly.  You have no dog in this hunt, so to speak.
 
And, if I recall correctly, neither have you. (Unless the chronic lack of wall has compelled you to buy an AR15/AK47 so you can help stop the impending doom of the invasion!)

Your argument from silence (while misrepresenting the importance a TV debate) is just that:

I've not seen you condemn your rapey President, therefor you (and the rest of The Party) probably condone it. Or worse...
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 13, 2019 - 8:02pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
You did not answer the question.
 
That's because I prefer showing your dishonesty, instead of taking your bait.
 
No bait.  Just citing on the record fact.  The terms are on the record and presented in their proper context.

"Official" is valid because these terms "take" and "mandatory buy back" were used without objection by anyone present during their actual uttering during an official, sanctioned Democratic party function.  It was unanimous.  If there was a time to object in any meaningful way it has come and gone.  It is official by default and cannot be ignored as such.  To take this as anything other than at face value is foolish by those who legally and lawfully own guns in the USA.

I fail to understand your avoidance to answer the question directly.  You have no dog in this hunt, so to speak.

I've made my point and you've made your's.  

Later.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 13, 2019 - 7:44pm

 kurtster wrote:
You did not answer the question.
 
That's because I prefer showing your dishonesty, instead of taking your bait.

PS: Kurtster, the AR-15/AK-47 owner. Now, there's a scary thought.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 13, 2019 - 7:41pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
Tell me how take does not mean confiscate.  Tell me how a mandatory buy back does not mean confiscate.
 
"The Democrats are coming for our guns."
 
You did not answer the question.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 13, 2019 - 7:31pm

 kurtster wrote:
Tell me how take does not mean confiscate.  Tell me how a mandatory buy back does not mean confiscate.
 
"The Democrats are coming for our guns."

PS: "It's official now, " adds more dishonesty.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459  Next