[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

2020 Elections - kurtster - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:46pm
 
Republican Party - kurtster - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:38pm
 
Trump - kcar - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:25pm
 
Trump Lies - kcar - Sep 19, 2020 - 5:08pm
 
Anti-War - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 4:57pm
 
How's the weather? - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 3:48pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - steeler - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
Immigration - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:17pm
 
TV shows you watch - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 19, 2020 - 12:57pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - jarro - Sep 19, 2020 - 12:25pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:26am
 
The Obituary Page - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:17am
 
China - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:07am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - sirdroseph - Sep 19, 2020 - 10:06am
 
Favorite Quotes - sirdroseph - Sep 19, 2020 - 9:46am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Sep 19, 2020 - 8:16am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - helenofjoy - Sep 19, 2020 - 7:24am
 
Thank you, Bug. - miamizsun - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:53am
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:59am
 
Canada - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 7:37pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
COVID-19 - kcar - Sep 18, 2020 - 4:18pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 2:05pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Private messages in a public forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:21am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Buddy's Haven - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 9:14am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 8:10am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - black321 - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:06am
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:26am
 
Climate Change - kcar - Sep 18, 2020 - 3:40am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:04pm
 
Signs o' the Apocalypse in the news... - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:57pm
 
Soliciting ideas to bring about a more humane world - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:06pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 1:39pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:57am
 
What are you listening to now? - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:49am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:39am
 
Women in the World - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:02am
 
More Stuff Schlabby Doesn't Do - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:57am
 
Nina Simone... - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Brass Against? - jamesat43 - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Helpful emergency signs - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:39am
 
Breaking Bad - sirdroseph - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:55am
 
Economix - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 11:56pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:22pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:33pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - kcar - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:29pm
 
Fires - haresfur - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:07pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:01pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Facebook Tips - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:32am
 
Silence? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:28am
 
Regarding cats - sirdroseph - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Is there any GOOD news out there? - kcar - Sep 16, 2020 - 4:24am
 
Trade War - R_P - Sep 15, 2020 - 8:13pm
 
Outstanding Covers - Ohmsen - Sep 15, 2020 - 2:20pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Sep 15, 2020 - 11:46am
 
Play the Blues - sirdroseph - Sep 15, 2020 - 5:47am
 
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc. - haresfur - Sep 14, 2020 - 6:51pm
 
punk? hip-hop? metal? noise? garage? - rhahl - Sep 14, 2020 - 2:02pm
 
Geeky Jokes - Proclivities - Sep 14, 2020 - 1:11pm
 
Guns - R_P - Sep 14, 2020 - 12:44pm
 
Help Wanted! - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 14, 2020 - 9:57am
 
hurricane relief - miamizsun - Sep 14, 2020 - 9:31am
 
You really put butter on the hot dog? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 14, 2020 - 8:56am
 
Bear! - Ohmsen - Sep 14, 2020 - 7:37am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - R_P - Sep 13, 2020 - 9:53pm
 
Calling DIY'ers... in re: electrical wiring... - kcar - Sep 13, 2020 - 5:49pm
 
Commercializing Facebook - Ohmsen - Sep 13, 2020 - 11:14am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » COVID-19 Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 4:18pm



 Steely_D wrote:


 kcar wrote:




The theory that the coronavirus originated in a lab got debunked long ago. 


 

BUT HER EMAILS!

He's from Kenya!

The First Lady is a MAN!

Q is an insider and Trump is taking down the cannibalistic pedophiles any day now!

etc etc etc

(the GOP have so few legitimate ideas that their party is now sustained solely by batshit nonsense and rumor)
 

I had the strange urge to watch Trump's town hall. That lasted for about a minute as I watched him do his word-salad non-response, generously garnished with lies. 

But I have read recaps of that nonsense. And it still blows my mind that he LIED over and over. 

And not just about penny-ante stuff.  He lied about Covid19 ("I think it's going to disappear"), masks ("a lot of people think masks are not good"—waiters, especially, according to Trump), downplaying  the pandemic ("Yeah, well, I didn't downplay it. I, actually, in many ways, I up-played it, in terms of action"), and the economy ("We have a super V; it looks like it's going to be a super V. We're going to have a great economy next year, and I think we're going to have a great economy in the third quarter").


ABC provides the transcript of the meeting here


Bob Woodward's new book quotes former DNI Dan Coats, who perfectly captures Trump's mental incompetence:


The stream of lies and alternative realities that the President promoted recalled a statement attributed to former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats in Woodward's book "Rage" that was published on Tuesday."To him a lie is not a lie. It's just what he thinks. He doesn't know the difference between the truth and a lie," Coats is quoted as saying to former Secretary of Defense James Mattis.


Trump's cabinet should have invoked the 25th Amendment and started proceedings to have him removed from office for mental incompetence. But there are still many people who support him—perhaps because he made it OK to openly hate people like Blacks and Hispanics and because he basically promised to turn back the clock economically and culturally. 
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 3:31pm



 kcar wrote:




The theory that the coronavirus originated in a lab got debunked long ago. 


 

BUT HER EMAILS!

He's from Kenya!

The First Lady is a MAN!

Q is an insider and Trump is taking down the cannibalistic pedophiles any day now!

etc etc etc

(the GOP have so few legitimate ideas that their party is now sustained solely by batshit nonsense and rumor)
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 3:14pm



 R_P wrote:
 Steely_D wrote:
Following up on the irrelevant claims of the "Chinese virologist" that was "censored" after talking to that idiot Carlson.

FTA: "...none of Yan’s claims are justified by the scientific evidence. The vast majority of scientists who have studied the coronavirus agree that it originated naturally and spread to humans from an animal species, such as a bat. And although scientists can’t rule out the possibility that the virus originated in a lab studying animals such as bats, it is vanishingly unlikely that it was genetically engineered and intentionally released."

Is it "censorship" to just stop propagating lies?

Actually, a Chinese virologist didn’t prove that COVID-19 was man-made


 
Cui bono?
The study’s first page lists support from the “Rule of Law Society & Rule of Law Foundation,” a pair of anti-China organizations spearheaded by Guo Wengui, the exiled Chinese billionaire, and Stephen Bannon, President Donald Trump’s former chief strategist, who was arrested last month on unrelated fraud charges. Neither organization has a history of sponsoring scientific research, and Guo and Bannon have spent months advancing baseless theories about the coronavirus’s origins.

The unproven theory that the virus originated in a Wuhan lab has become a popular talking point on the right. Trump and Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, have advanced the theory, though U.S. intelligence agencies have not reached a conclusion on the issue.

 

The theory that the coronavirus originated in a lab got debunked long ago. 


Did Coronavirus Come From a Lab?





This University of Minnesota CIDRAP article ran in mid-May 2020:

Scientists: 'Exactly zero' evidence COVID-19 came from a lab


Politicians have touted these theories in an attempt to blame China for the pandemic, and a discredited US scientist recently released a book and now-banned video claiming that wealthy people deliberately spread COVID-19 to boost vaccination rates. And late last week, an unsubstantiated NBC News report on cell phone location data suggested that the Wuhan lab temporarily shut down after a "hazardous event" in October.

Even Kristian Andersen, PhD, a professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, and lead author of a research letter published Mar 17 in Nature Medicine on the origins of the virus, first thought that COVID-19 was just as likely to have been accidentally released from a lab as it was to have come from nature.

But that was before he learned more about COVID-19 and related coronaviruses, which have features already seen in nature. "There are lots of data and lots of evidence, as well as previous examples of this coming from nature," he said. "We have exactly zero evidence or data of this having any connection to a lab."

And while Andersen, like other prominent virologists, says that he can't completely rule out the possibility that the virus came from a lab, the odds of that happening are very small. He says the new coronavirus clearly originated in nature, "no question about it by now."


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:32pm

 Steely_D wrote:
Following up on the irrelevant claims of the "Chinese virologist" that was "censored" after talking to that idiot Carlson.

FTA: "...none of Yan’s claims are justified by the scientific evidence. The vast majority of scientists who have studied the coronavirus agree that it originated naturally and spread to humans from an animal species, such as a bat. And although scientists can’t rule out the possibility that the virus originated in a lab studying animals such as bats, it is vanishingly unlikely that it was genetically engineered and intentionally released."

Is it "censorship" to just stop propagating lies?

Actually, a Chinese virologist didn’t prove that COVID-19 was man-made


 
Cui bono?
The study’s first page lists support from the “Rule of Law Society & Rule of Law Foundation,” a pair of anti-China organizations spearheaded by Guo Wengui, the exiled Chinese billionaire, and Stephen Bannon, President Donald Trump’s former chief strategist, who was arrested last month on unrelated fraud charges. Neither organization has a history of sponsoring scientific research, and Guo and Bannon have spent months advancing baseless theories about the coronavirus’s origins.

The unproven theory that the virus originated in a Wuhan lab has become a popular talking point on the right. Trump and Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, have advanced the theory, though U.S. intelligence agencies have not reached a conclusion on the issue.

Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:10pm

Following up on the irrelevant claims of the "Chinese virologist" that was "censored" after talking to that idiot Carlson.

FTA: "...none of Yan’s claims are justified by the scientific evidence. The vast majority of scientists who have studied the coronavirus agree that it originated naturally and spread to humans from an animal species, such as a bat. And although scientists can’t rule out the possibility that the virus originated in a lab studying animals such as bats, it is vanishingly unlikely that it was genetically engineered and intentionally released."

Is it "censorship" to just stop propagating lies?

Actually, a Chinese virologist didn’t prove that COVID-19 was man-made


ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 8:54am



 kurtster wrote:

No.

And there is something dicey about this website.  It was using up half of my resources just being open on a tab.
 

Here's the NYT version of it.
Protection would be marginal at best (direct sneeze, etc.) but maybe people who wear glasses don't rub their eyes with grimy digits as often. Anyway, this falls under the "probably can't hurt" column.
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 8:38am



 R_P wrote:
 
The Devil you say!
c.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 7:10am

International TDS
U.S. Image Plummets Internationally as Most Say Country Has Handled Coronavirus Badly
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 17, 2020 - 6:26am

 R_P wrote: 
No.

And there is something dicey about this website.  It was using up half of my resources just being open on a tab.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 17, 2020 - 4:03am

COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

 
 
Ohmsen

Ohmsen Avatar

Location: Valhalla Mists


Posted: Sep 17, 2020 - 2:24am



 kurtster wrote:
Yeah, been hearing a lot about how the "Great Reset" is already well under way and what it entails the past several months. Just another part of the implementation of UN Agenda 21 as I see it.

I clearly do not like and am highly opposed to the New (Globalist) World Order which was once portrayed by themselves as just a conspiracy theory. They have come out of pretending to be something else and openly embrace the name "New World Order" now. I just hate when conspiracy theories stop being conspiracy theories and real like we said all along. Sigh ...

A couple of years ago when all the crap about Trump being Putin's bitch came out, I tried to point out that we needed to actually come to terms with Russia and find a solution to our differences, rather than the phony Russia, Russia, Russia hoax driven by the establishment which actually drove Russia straight into China's arms. We had a chance to join up with Russia against China as we did in WW II to fight the Axis powers. As usual, I was called crazy. And now that ship has sailed.

And who is leading the cover for the Chinese trying to portray them as hero's in the fight against CV 19 rather than the perpetrators of CV 19 ? The same people behind the R, R, R hoax.


Oh and, speaking of the R, R, R hoax, did you hear about the recent discovery of all the DOJ cell phones of those on Mueller's staff got "accidentally" wiped ? All 27 of them ?

Wow, that is just plain bad luck, right ?
Tucker Carlson criticizes Facebook for censoring interview with Chinese virologist

Tucker Carlson criticizes Facebook for censoring interview with Chinese virologist

Facebook and other tech giants have engaged in a troubling pattern of censoring speech surrounding major issues in the coronavirus debate, Fox News host Tucker Carlson argued during his Wednesday night monologue. 


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 17, 2020 - 1:03am

Do ordinary eyeglasses offer protection against COVID-19?
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 6:00pm


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2020 - 2:30pm


rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2020 - 5:44am

New England Journal of Medicine....

Facial Masking for Covid-19 — Potential for “Variolation” as We Await a Vaccine


As SARS-CoV-2 continues its global spread, it’s possible that one of the pillars of Covid-19 pandemic control — universal facial masking — might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of “variolation” that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere, as we await a vaccine.
...

Ultimately, combating the pandemic will involve driving down both transmission rates and severity of disease.  Increasing evidence suggests that population-wide facial masking might benefit both components of the response.


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 13, 2020 - 11:51am


islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 13, 2020 - 8:33am



 kurtster wrote:


I only read the first article which supports my contention in the other thread..

 


.Although to be fair, I only read the first line of your post as well. 

whatshisname

whatshisname Avatar

Location: West OZ


Posted: Sep 13, 2020 - 4:22am


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 13, 2020 - 12:30am

 Ohmsen wrote: 
Yeah, been hearing a lot about how the "Great Reset" is already well under way and what it entails the past several months.  Just another part of the implementation of UN Agenda 21 as I see it.

I clearly do not like and am highly opposed to the New (Globalist) World Order which was once portrayed by themselves as just a conspiracy theory.  They have come out of pretending to be something else and openly embrace the name "New World Order" now.  I just hate when conspiracy theories stop being conspiracy theories and real like we said all along.  Sigh ...

A couple of years ago when all the crap about Trump being Putin's bitch came out, I tried to point out that we needed to actually come to terms with Russia and find a solution to our differences, rather than the phony Russia, Russia, Russia hoax driven by the establishment which actually drove Russia straight into China's arms.  We had a chance to join up with Russia against China as we did in WW II to fight the Axis powers.  As usual, I was called crazy.  And now that ship has sailed.

And who is leading the cover for the Chinese trying to portray them as hero's in the fight against CV 19 rather than the perpetrators of CV 19 ?  The same people behind the R, R, R hoax.

Oh and, speaking of the  R, R, R hoax, did you hear about the recent discovery of all the DOJ cell phones of those on Mueller's staff got "accidentally" wiped ?  All 27 of them ?

Wow, that is just plain bad luck, right ?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 12, 2020 - 9:11pm

 Steely_D wrote:
I'm taking the discussion in another forum over here.

FTA: There should be no issue "unless you are wearing a plastic impermeable mask," he said in an emailed response, adding however that care needs to be taken with very young children.

Prolonged use of face masks unlikely to cause hypercapnia (too much carbon dioxide)

and

FALSE: Prolonged face mask use causes hypoxia, hypercapnia


I mean, really, this stuff is easy to find instead of spreading easily debunked rumors. Why do people choose to be uninformed?
(Answer: it seems they have a world view that they can't imagine changing.)
 
I only read the first article which supports my contention in the other thread, that wearing a mask is a legitimate concern for those with COPD and other lung issues along with diabetes.

...
However, Kenyan infectious disease epidemiologist Mark Nanyingi warned that people suffering from chronic respiratory illnesses may exert unnecessary pressure on their lungs while wearing masks.

“A person with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease can easily suffer from hypoxia or hypercapnia while wearing face masks for prolonged hours as their lungs are already under pressure and doing so they place themselves at a higher risk,” he told AFP.

Regarding the concerns with masks and ketoacidosis, which I specifically mentioned, I offer the following ... from a reasonable source ...

...
The body attempts to reduce the level of acid by increasing the rate and depth of breathing. This blows off carbon dioxide in the breath, which tends to correct the acidosis temporarily (known as acidotic breathing).

At the same time, the high secretion of glucose into the urine causes large quantities of water and salts to be lost, putting the body at serious risk of dehydration.

Eventually, over-breathing becomes inadequate to control the acidosis.
...
Symptoms of acidosis are:

  • fast, deep breathing
  • a smell of acetone on your breath (like pear drops or nail varnish)
  • nausea and vomiting
  • stomach pains.

Diabetic acidosis is often triggered by an infection, such as a urine or chest infection. It can develop in anything from a matter of hours to a few days, but it usually comes on very quickly.

So while healthy diabetics should not experience problems using masks, those with COPD and diabetes could indeed have serious problems using a mask as I mentioned in the other thread.

And with all due respect, I do not consider cloth masks, such as those that are of the homemade or infomercial variety effective and are mostly cosmetic.  I am only talking about your basic procedure mask or better in the context of my points.  A mask designed for medical considerations and usage.

My points were meant to illustrate how masks can have an actual negative affect on those with advanced medical conditions, which sadly are pretty common and widespread in our country.  The point I was rebutting was that "there are no downsides to wearing a mask".  A pronouncement without limitations or exclusions that on its face applies to everyone.

My whole point was to show that this statement is patently false and misleading as it is being presented in a political discussion as an absolute truth.  The person making that statement is either deliberately trying to be misleading or not thinking past themselves or poorly informed or all of the preceding. 

Your article provides support for my contention.  That there are indeed exceptions to that claim I was addressing and that many, not a few, can be more than just inconvenienced.

And FWIW, everything I stated in the other thread is long known personal knowledge and immediate stream of conscience thinking based upon paying close attention of everything in front of me.  It was just basic simple knowledge and understanding to me.  I feel that it was reasonable and fundamentally correct without any citation or needed additional research prior to making my rebuttal.  It was an opinion which seems to have stood up to scrutiny.  I do not do Facebook or news feeds either so I was not aware of any of those misleading emails and posts that circulate in those kinds of places.

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next