[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Canada - westslope - May 17, 2021 - 3:37pm
 
COVID-19 - westslope - May 17, 2021 - 3:32pm
 
Australia and New Zealand Music - ScottFromWyoming - May 17, 2021 - 3:31pm
 
Derplahoma! - kcar - May 17, 2021 - 2:21pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - May 17, 2021 - 1:02pm
 
Nice set Bill.... - miamizsun - May 17, 2021 - 1:01pm
 
The Abortion Wars - Red_Dragon - May 17, 2021 - 10:43am
 
Republican Party - cc_rider - May 17, 2021 - 9:05am
 
Send support to RP in non-US currencies - westslope - May 17, 2021 - 8:19am
 
Last gas price paid? - westslope - May 17, 2021 - 7:25am
 
Name My Band - GeneP59 - May 17, 2021 - 6:24am
 
Counting with Pictures - GeneP59 - May 17, 2021 - 6:21am
 
RP on Bluesound Node 2i (in the UK) - Dan888 - May 17, 2021 - 2:40am
 
Song of the Day - Dan888 - May 17, 2021 - 2:31am
 
Military Matters - haresfur - May 17, 2021 - 1:56am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - May 16, 2021 - 9:09pm
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 16, 2021 - 9:02pm
 
Jazz - Manbird - May 16, 2021 - 4:15pm
 
Please play more Rap or Hip Hop on RP - Manbird - May 16, 2021 - 4:08pm
 
Covers! - Manbird - May 16, 2021 - 3:47pm
 
Joe Biden - R_P - May 16, 2021 - 3:44pm
 
Live Music - Manbird - May 16, 2021 - 3:23pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - May 16, 2021 - 1:26pm
 
If not RP, what are you listening to right now? - miamizsun - May 16, 2021 - 5:05am
 
New Music - zair99 - May 15, 2021 - 11:20pm
 
Billie Eilish on the cover of Vogue - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2021 - 8:27pm
 
Where is the Elvis? - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2021 - 8:17pm
 
Beer - Coaxial - May 15, 2021 - 7:51pm
 
Acoustic Guitar - rhahl - May 15, 2021 - 6:47pm
 
Play the Blues - rhahl - May 15, 2021 - 5:35pm
 
Classical Music - Manbird - May 15, 2021 - 5:11pm
 
Mars Exploration Rover Mission Status - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2021 - 4:18pm
 
Food - katzendogs - May 15, 2021 - 3:34pm
 
songs that ROCK! - starcloud - May 15, 2021 - 3:09pm
 
Medical Marijuana Discussion - rgio - May 15, 2021 - 9:24am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - miamizsun - May 15, 2021 - 7:57am
 
Electronic Music - miamizsun - May 15, 2021 - 7:30am
 
2020 Elections - Red_Dragon - May 15, 2021 - 7:11am
 
Bernie Sanders - westslope - May 15, 2021 - 1:23am
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - westslope - May 14, 2021 - 5:14pm
 
Afghanistan - westslope - May 14, 2021 - 3:59pm
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - westslope - May 14, 2021 - 3:35pm
 
Bitcoin - Isabeau - May 14, 2021 - 2:45pm
 
Radiohead - R_P - May 14, 2021 - 1:44pm
 
Stream Quality - NHemp - May 14, 2021 - 1:10pm
 
MQA Stream Coming to BLUOS - Dan888 - May 14, 2021 - 12:45pm
 
Post your favorite 'You Tube' Videos Here - oldviolin - May 13, 2021 - 8:31pm
 
Trump - R_P - May 13, 2021 - 2:19pm
 
Latin Music - rhahl - May 13, 2021 - 2:17pm
 
Trump Lies™ - R_P - May 13, 2021 - 12:46pm
 
Protest Songs - kurtster - May 12, 2021 - 9:30pm
 
Bad News / Good News - ScottFromWyoming - May 12, 2021 - 8:08pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - oldviolin - May 12, 2021 - 8:03pm
 
What other *streams* are you listening too? - Manbird - May 12, 2021 - 7:45pm
 
Things for which you would sell ManBird's soul - Manbird - May 12, 2021 - 6:55pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - May 12, 2021 - 6:47pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Manbird - May 12, 2021 - 6:38pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - kurtster - May 12, 2021 - 6:02pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - May 12, 2021 - 5:00pm
 
Steven Wilson - westslope - May 12, 2021 - 3:52pm
 
R&R Hall of Fame Show - haresfur - May 12, 2021 - 3:35pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - steeler - May 12, 2021 - 3:04pm
 
Elbow - R_P - May 12, 2021 - 12:35pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - NoEnzLefttoSplit - May 12, 2021 - 12:26pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - May 12, 2021 - 12:10pm
 
Today in History - cc_rider - May 12, 2021 - 10:33am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - May 12, 2021 - 10:03am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - May 12, 2021 - 7:09am
 
PUNS- Political Punditry and so-called journalism - oldviolin - May 11, 2021 - 7:56pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - May 11, 2021 - 9:55am
 
Things You Thought Today - GeneP59 - May 11, 2021 - 8:48am
 
Dear BillG, - GeneP59 - May 11, 2021 - 8:38am
 
How big are the shirts? - Proclivities - May 11, 2021 - 8:28am
 
Favorite Quotes - black321 - May 11, 2021 - 7:10am
 
Cell Phone Hell - Red_Dragon - May 11, 2021 - 6:28am
 
Index » Regional/Local » Africa/Middle East » Iran Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Apr 11, 2021 - 6:48am

‘Suspicious’ blackout strikes Iran’s Natanz nuclear site
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Apr 2, 2021 - 7:41am

US, Iran say they’ll begin indirect talks on nuclear program
Ohmsen

Ohmsen Avatar

Location: Valhǫll
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 7, 2021 - 1:18pm


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 2:42pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
R_P wrote:
Greenwald's piece seems mostly tangential w.r.t. the topic in which it was posted.

He's touching on the recent assassination of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh (likely by the Mossad but also likely with the approval and cooperation of the Trump administration) but he's also putting it into the context of previous administrations' actions and its reception in the press.

(Re)making peace with Iran will be a major foreign policy challenge for the incoming administration. Think of it as the background to that challenge.
 
I had read it, and then some. It's more of an "American Justice" rabbit hole.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 2:21pm

R_P wrote:
Greenwald's piece seems mostly tangential w.r.t. the topic in which it was posted.

He's touching on the recent assassination of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh (likely by the Mossad but also likely with the approval and cooperation of the Trump administration) but he's also putting it into the context of previous administrations' actions and its reception in the press.

(Re)making peace with Iran will be a major foreign policy challenge for the incoming administration. Think of it as the background to that challenge.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 1:54pm

Greenwald's piece seems mostly tangential w.r.t. the topic in which it was posted.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 1:34pm

westslope wrote:
Trump is not an historical aberration.  He is an ugly mirror.   

American memories of past violent acts are  generally short and incomplete if not romantically revised.   

If it is a question of assigning partisan blame for the Sept. 11th attacks in 2001, it is the Democrats.

That said, it is unfortunate that the writer Glen Greenwald appears to endorse the War on Terror.  The War on Terror has been useful to dehumanize and demonize innocent civilians so they are politically easier to kill.  The War on Terror justifies not engaging and talking with some groups or nations and thus perpetuating  some conflicts for decades.

The War on Terror implies that American voters are fundamentally ignorant and easy to manipulate by organized special interests.

I'd be interested in reading the article you seem to have found.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 1:30pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
This screed is long and brings up many related questions, but at the core it calls out the American left/media nexus for appalling hypocrisy. Assassinating people around the world is bad when done by proxy, bad when done by direct covert action, bad when done by a Republican administration, bad when done by a Democratic administration. Partisan outrage is posturing, not a principled stance.

Rep. Ilhan Omar’s Misguided Defense of John Brennan and The Logan Act: a Dangerous and Unconstitutional Law

When you’re reduced to sitting on Twitter trying to distinguish your own global assassination program from the one you’re condemning, that is rather potent evidence that you are among the absolute last persons on earth with the moral credibility to denounce anything. That’s particularly true when you directed your unilateral assassination powers onto your own citizens, ending several of their lives.

But that’s the Trump era in a nutshell: the most bloodthirsty monsters and murderers successfully whitewash their own history of atrocities by deceiving people into believing that none of this was done prior to Trump, and that their flamboyant opposition to Trump — based far more in stylistic distaste for him and loss of their own access than substantive policy objections — absolves them of their own prior, often-worse monstrosities. Call it the David Frum Syndrome.

 
Trump is not an historical aberration.  He is an ugly mirror.   

American memories of past violent acts are  generally short and incomplete if not romantically revised.   

If it is a question of assigning partisan blame for the Sept. 11th attacks in 2001, it is the Democrats.

That said, it is unfortunate that the writer Glen Greenwald appears to endorse the War on Terror.  The War on Terror has been useful to dehumanize and demonize innocent civilians so they are politically easier to kill.  The War on Terror justifies not engaging and talking with some groups or nations and thus perpetuating  some conflicts for decades.

The War on Terror implies that American voters are fundamentally ignorant and easy to manipulate by organized special interests.


Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 28, 2020 - 9:27am

This screed is long and brings up many related questions, but at the core it calls out the American left/media nexus for appalling hypocrisy. Assassinating people around the world is bad when done by proxy, bad when done by direct covert action, bad when done by a Republican administration, bad when done by a Democratic administration. Partisan outrage is posturing, not a principled stance.

Rep. Ilhan Omar’s Misguided Defense of John Brennan and The Logan Act: a Dangerous and Unconstitutional Law

When you’re reduced to sitting on Twitter trying to distinguish your own global assassination program from the one you’re condemning, that is rather potent evidence that you are among the absolute last persons on earth with the moral credibility to denounce anything. That’s particularly true when you directed your unilateral assassination powers onto your own citizens, ending several of their lives.

But that’s the Trump era in a nutshell: the most bloodthirsty monsters and murderers successfully whitewash their own history of atrocities by deceiving people into believing that none of this was done prior to Trump, and that their flamboyant opposition to Trump — based far more in stylistic distaste for him and loss of their own access than substantive policy objections — absolves them of their own prior, often-worse monstrosities. Call it the David Frum Syndrome.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jul 8, 2020 - 1:31pm

Iran analysts and nuclear experts say these attacks do not fundamentally alter Iran’s trajectory if it is seeking nuclear capabilities; at best, they delay progress by a few months or a year. There is no way, short of regime change or armed invasion, that countries can deter rivals determined to obtain nuclear weapons.

UN Special Rapporteur: US Drone Strike Killing Iranian Gen. Soleimani Was Unlawful
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Feb 21, 2020 - 4:29pm

Iranians go to polls as hard-liners expect big win
jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Jan 24, 2020 - 2:32pm

Obama, much as I love him, SHOULD HAVE BEEN SMARTER ABOUT MANY THINGS!

 haresfur wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:
let's hope so...

Iran's Theocracy Will Collapse Because of People Like Kimia Alizadeh

The nation's only female Olympic medalist says she has permanently left the Islamic Republic due to the oppression of women.

The killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani by the United States military will understandably dominate headlines for weeks if not months to come.

But the actual demise of the authoritarian regime that's been in power since 1979 will come more from acts like the one taken by Kimia Alizadeh, Iran's only female Olympic medalist. Late last week, the bronze medalist in Taekwondo in the 2016 Summer Games announced via Instagram that she has fled her home country due to the systematic oppression of women. Via CNN:

"Let me start with a greeting, a farewell or condolences," the 21-year-old wrote in an Instagram post explaining why she was defecting. "I am one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran who they have been playing with for years."…

"They took me wherever they wanted. I wore whatever they said. Every sentence they ordered me to say, I repeated. Whenever they saw fit, they exploited me," she wrote, adding that credit for her success always went to those in charge.

"I wasn't important to them. None of us mattered to them, we were tools," Alizadeh added, explaining that while the regime celebrated her medals, it criticized the sport she had chosen: "The virtue of a woman is not to stretch her legs!"


 
I think one of the lessons of the Arab Spring is that western countries have very limited ability to influence the events and it is probably better to lay low in most cases. That seems particularly true about Iran. Obama should have been a lot smarter about Libya and Syria. Egypt, too.

 


jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Jan 24, 2020 - 2:30pm



 R_P wrote:
 
Good. This pussy shit is freaking me out. Y'all are a trip.



R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 24, 2020 - 1:31pm

Next on Trump's kill list...
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 12:33pm

How Britain helped Iran’s Islamic regime destroy the left-wing opposition
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 8:08pm

“Iran Must Begin Acting Like A Normal Nation,” Says Totally Normal Nation
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 3:35pm

 haresfur wrote:

lessons from the Arab Spring

 
Ah, thanks.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 3:30pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:

Strictly speaking any "spring" in Iran can't be described as Arab. Iranians are not Arabs, ethnically speaking. Jus' sayin'.
 
lessons from the Arab Spring

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 3:10pm

 haresfur wrote:
 
I think one of the lessons of the Arab Spring is that western countries have very limited ability to influence the events and it is probably better to lay low in most cases. That seems particularly true about Iran. Obama should have been a lot smarter about Libya and Syria. Egypt, too.

 
Strictly speaking any "spring" in Iran can't be described as Arab. Iranians are not Arabs, ethnically speaking. Jus' sayin'.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 3:04pm



 miamizsun wrote:
let's hope so...

Iran's Theocracy Will Collapse Because of People Like Kimia Alizadeh

The nation's only female Olympic medalist says she has permanently left the Islamic Republic due to the oppression of women.

The killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani by the United States military will understandably dominate headlines for weeks if not months to come.

But the actual demise of the authoritarian regime that's been in power since 1979 will come more from acts like the one taken by Kimia Alizadeh, Iran's only female Olympic medalist. Late last week, the bronze medalist in Taekwondo in the 2016 Summer Games announced via Instagram that she has fled her home country due to the systematic oppression of women. Via CNN:

"Let me start with a greeting, a farewell or condolences," the 21-year-old wrote in an Instagram post explaining why she was defecting. "I am one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran who they have been playing with for years."…

"They took me wherever they wanted. I wore whatever they said. Every sentence they ordered me to say, I repeated. Whenever they saw fit, they exploited me," she wrote, adding that credit for her success always went to those in charge.

"I wasn't important to them. None of us mattered to them, we were tools," Alizadeh added, explaining that while the regime celebrated her medals, it criticized the sport she had chosen: "The virtue of a woman is not to stretch her legs!"


 
I think one of the lessons of the Arab Spring is that western countries have very limited ability to influence the events and it is probably better to lay low in most cases. That seems particularly true about Iran. Obama should have been a lot smarter about Libya and Syria. Egypt, too.

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next