[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Air Travel Blues - Manbird - Apr 18, 2021 - 11:45pm
 
In My Room - Manbird - Apr 18, 2021 - 11:36pm
 
Biden's Lies - kurtster - Apr 18, 2021 - 11:07pm
 
Immigration - haresfur - Apr 18, 2021 - 6:06pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Apr 18, 2021 - 3:50pm
 
Thought For The Day - oldviolin - Apr 18, 2021 - 3:22pm
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - R_P - Apr 18, 2021 - 1:26pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Apr 18, 2021 - 11:58am
 
Today in History - GeneP59 - Apr 18, 2021 - 10:32am
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Apr 18, 2021 - 10:20am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Apr 18, 2021 - 10:14am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - oldviolin - Apr 17, 2021 - 7:15pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Apr 17, 2021 - 5:07pm
 
Trump - westslope - Apr 17, 2021 - 3:47pm
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - Antigone - Apr 17, 2021 - 2:09pm
 
Jazz - rhahl - Apr 17, 2021 - 1:15pm
 
Radiohead - R_P - Apr 17, 2021 - 10:25am
 
Vocabulary Quiz - rhahl - Apr 17, 2021 - 10:08am
 
The Netherlands - second - StefanFlos - Apr 17, 2021 - 8:46am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - pilgrim - Apr 17, 2021 - 7:45am
 
What the hell OV? - miamizsun - Apr 17, 2021 - 7:33am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - rhahl - Apr 17, 2021 - 7:19am
 
MQA Stream Coming to BLUOS - kd4ylq - Apr 17, 2021 - 7:02am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - sirdroseph - Apr 17, 2021 - 1:53am
 
Automotive Lust - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 16, 2021 - 9:20pm
 
What makes you smile? - Coaxial - Apr 16, 2021 - 7:28pm
 
Those lovable acronym guys & gals - R_P - Apr 16, 2021 - 2:59pm
 
Outstanding Covers - rhahl - Apr 16, 2021 - 2:35pm
 
volcano! - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 16, 2021 - 12:15pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Apr 16, 2021 - 12:03pm
 
Amazing art - R_P - Apr 16, 2021 - 12:02pm
 
Guns - R_P - Apr 16, 2021 - 9:46am
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - Apr 16, 2021 - 9:30am
 
Ask an Atheist - black321 - Apr 16, 2021 - 9:25am
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Apr 16, 2021 - 9:22am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Apr 16, 2021 - 8:53am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Apr 16, 2021 - 8:33am
 
Ask the Libertarian - sirdroseph - Apr 16, 2021 - 8:33am
 
Sweet horrible irony. - black321 - Apr 16, 2021 - 7:55am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - GeneP59 - Apr 16, 2021 - 7:06am
 
Be a Music Critic! - Proclivities - Apr 16, 2021 - 6:35am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - sirdroseph - Apr 16, 2021 - 5:44am
 
Media Bias - sirdroseph - Apr 16, 2021 - 4:14am
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - GeneP59 - Apr 15, 2021 - 3:31pm
 
Things You Thought Today - GeneP59 - Apr 15, 2021 - 3:04pm
 
Magic Eye optical Illusions - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 15, 2021 - 2:14pm
 
Back to the 60's - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 15, 2021 - 1:57pm
 
Poetry Forum - oldviolin - Apr 15, 2021 - 9:49am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Apr 15, 2021 - 9:34am
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Apr 15, 2021 - 9:28am
 
That's good advice - rhahl - Apr 15, 2021 - 6:47am
 
Congress - sirdroseph - Apr 15, 2021 - 3:27am
 
Derplahoma! - kcar - Apr 15, 2021 - 1:53am
 
Get the Quote - Lazy8 - Apr 14, 2021 - 7:34pm
 
What's With All the "Fish"? - Ohmsen - Apr 14, 2021 - 2:53pm
 
The war on funk is over! - rhahl - Apr 14, 2021 - 1:13pm
 
Radio Paradise Streaming on KaiOS ? - BillG - Apr 14, 2021 - 1:12pm
 
Joe Biden - black321 - Apr 14, 2021 - 11:49am
 
Afghanistan - R_P - Apr 14, 2021 - 10:47am
 
The Obituary Page - cc_rider - Apr 14, 2021 - 9:59am
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Apr 14, 2021 - 9:31am
 
Dog - sirdroseph - Apr 14, 2021 - 5:19am
 
New Music - Ohmsen - Apr 13, 2021 - 4:12pm
 
I like cheese - Ohmsen - Apr 13, 2021 - 12:09pm
 
Media Lies - Ohmsen - Apr 13, 2021 - 11:28am
 
Those Lovable Policemen - cc_rider - Apr 13, 2021 - 7:37am
 
A Brave Woman - sirdroseph - Apr 13, 2021 - 4:43am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Apr 13, 2021 - 4:21am
 
- PUNS - ROCKETRY - Prodigal_SOB - Apr 12, 2021 - 9:52pm
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - Coaxial - Apr 12, 2021 - 6:27pm
 
Surfing! - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 12, 2021 - 1:13pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 12, 2021 - 12:52pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Apr 12, 2021 - 11:53am
 
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:31am
 
Race/Ethnicity-Genetics Connection - sirdroseph - Apr 12, 2021 - 5:25am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Gardeners Corner Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259  Next
Post to this Topic
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 12:37am



 westslope wrote:


 GeneP59 wrote:
I‘ve still got 3 feet of snow in my raised gardens 
{#Eyes}


Been warned this is a La Niña year too.
 
From NOAA:

La Niña—the cool phase of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation climate pattern—is still here in February 2021, but forecasters estimate about a 60% chance that neutral conditions will return this spring.

————————————-

That is too bad.  Pacific salmon in the northwest Pacific could use a few years of La Niña conditions.   


 
So could Australia

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Feb 24, 2021 - 1:33pm



 GeneP59 wrote:
I‘ve still got 3 feet of snow in my raised gardens 
{#Eyes}


Been warned this is a La Niña year too.
 
From NOAA:

La Niña—the cool phase of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation climate pattern—is still here in February 2021, but forecasters estimate about a 60% chance that neutral conditions will return this spring.

————————————-

That is too bad.  Pacific salmon in the northwest Pacific could use a few years of La Niña conditions.   


GeneP59

GeneP59 Avatar

Location: On the edge of tomorrow looking back at yesterday.
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 24, 2021 - 12:55pm

I‘ve still got 3 feet of snow in my raised gardens {#Eyes}

Been warned this is a La Niña year too.
whatshisname

whatshisname Avatar

Location: West OZ
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 21, 2021 - 7:37pm



 haresfur wrote:


 westslope wrote:


 whatshisname wrote:
Been having a weird summer season here in the south west of OZ. Had some terribly hot days and the garden's been hammered by it.
Still managing to get a few bits and pieces tho.


 

At least it is summer!  Seems like EVERY season is weird these days.

Beautiful produce!   

Figs.  I can't but help think of picking figs that were close to rotting on the vine chez les Berbers in the High Atlas mountains of Morocco.   It was so sweet.
 
I have one fig tree in the ground that doesn't produce anything or grow new branches. I think I overwatered it. Have another in a pot that is straggly but we get some fruit.

 
The neighbours here have a mature fig that hardly produces fruit also, they were told to dig and chop at all roots about a metre out from the trunk and to threaten

and curse the tree  (old Italian superstition!). It did produce a modest crop after that but subsequent efforts failed.



haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 21, 2021 - 5:32pm



 westslope wrote:


 whatshisname wrote:
Been having a weird summer season here in the south west of OZ. Had some terribly hot days and the garden's been hammered by it.
Still managing to get a few bits and pieces tho.


 

At least it is summer!  Seems like EVERY season is weird these days.

Beautiful produce!   

Figs.  I can't but help think of picking figs that were close to rotting on the vine chez les Berbers in the High Atlas mountains of Morocco.   It was so sweet.
 
I have one fig tree in the ground that doesn't produce anything or grow new branches. I think I overwatered it. Have another in a pot that is straggly but we get some fruit.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Feb 21, 2021 - 4:11pm



 whatshisname wrote:
Been having a weird summer season here in the south west of OZ. Had some terribly hot days and the garden's been hammered by it.
Still managing to get a few bits and pieces tho.


 

At least it is summer!  Seems like EVERY season is weird these days.

Beautiful produce!   

Figs.  I can't but help think of picking figs that were close to rotting on the vine chez les Berbers in the High Atlas mountains of Morocco.   It was so sweet.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 21, 2021 - 10:06am



 whatshisname wrote:
Been having a weird summer season here in the south west of OZ. Had some terribly hot days and the garden's been hammered by it.
Still managing to get a few bits and pieces tho.


 
Nice! Figs look great

whatshisname

whatshisname Avatar

Location: West OZ
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 21, 2021 - 3:22am

Been having a weird summer season here in the south west of OZ. Had some terribly hot days and the garden's been hammered by it.
Still managing to get a few bits and pieces tho.


Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2021 - 9:01pm


haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 27, 2020 - 4:22pm



 JrzyTmata wrote:


 kcar wrote:


 But I hope you're heartened to know that the Liberal Elite newspapers are in tune with your pastimes.

 
so are conservative preppers


 
I didn't know peppers are conservative. Oh, nvm, but this is the Gardeners Corner, afterall.

JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2020 - 1:25pm



 kcar wrote:


 But I hope you're heartened to know that the Liberal Elite newspapers are in tune with your pastimes.

 
so are conservative preppers

JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2020 - 1:24pm

WE HAVE 20 BOXES CANNING LIDS!!!  and they were only $2.15 & 2.99 a box. 
ceilingcat bless walmart. there. I said it.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 26, 2020 - 8:35pm



 JrzyTmata wrote:


 kcar wrote:



Oh! Just checked out your blog. Does Rob = buddy on RP.com? The pic on your blog resembles buddy's avatar here.

Rob is a licensed falconer?!? Wow. Wow. Much respect. I became somewhat obsessed with birds of prey around the 6th grade. Magnificent animals. I hope Rob and Mag's situation has improved.

One thing I love about the RP forum—you realize that members have connected with each other far beyond online posts. It gives me hope that America will endure.

You got all those tomatoes from 26 plants. "Phwooarrr" as the Brits like to say. I saw this article on WaPo the other day and thought of your harvest. If you can't access the article online, please let me know if you're interested in reading it and I'll happily send post it here on or in a PM to you.

Any pics and updates you have on your garden are most welcome to my eyes. Far more interesting than arguing about/posting epics about politics.


 
Rob is Manbird.

Today, I picked 4 lbs. of jalapenos and 10 lbs. of tomatoes. I have about 10 lbs. of tomatoes on the table and a bunch of eggplant and bell peppers in the fridge from the weekend.

Your link wants money. LOL. from what I see it's an article on canning? I do that.
 

Ah, the mysterious Manbird! For a while I thought he was just an inside joke amongst the RP Forum Kool Kids. But he is The Falconer!



(Sadly, Giphy doesn't seem to have any gifs of SNL's Will Forte in that role. Poncy Brian Ferry will have to do.)




I have a special talent when it comes to eggplants: from time to time I buy them, put 'em in the fridge, fart around trying to choose a great recipe for them, spend more time eventually gathering the other ingredients...and then realize that the eggplants have spoiled. This has happened repeatedly. I have a bit of an egpplant phobia. I'll eat them happily if someone else cooks 'em though.

I figured you could can if you were griping about the cost of the lids. At that price, yours is a righteous gripe. WaPo and the NY Times are both running mid-pandemic/economic downturn articles on coping that have excited, super-friendly tones...and fairly pedestrian subjects. But I hope you're heartened to know that the Liberal Elite newspapers are in tune with your pastimes.
JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 26, 2020 - 7:38pm



 kcar wrote:



Oh! Just checked out your blog. Does Rob = buddy on RP.com? The pic on your blog resembles buddy's avatar here.

Rob is a licensed falconer?!? Wow. Wow. Much respect. I became somewhat obsessed with birds of prey around the 6th grade. Magnificent animals. I hope Rob and Mag's situation has improved.

One thing I love about the RP forum—you realize that members have connected with each other far beyond online posts. It gives me hope that America will endure.

You got all those tomatoes from 26 plants. "Phwooarrr" as the Brits like to say. I saw this article on WaPo the other day and thought of your harvest. If you can't access the article online, please let me know if you're interested in reading it and I'll happily send post it here on or in a PM to you.

Any pics and updates you have on your garden are most welcome to my eyes. Far more interesting than arguing about/posting epics about politics.


 
Rob is Manbird.

Today, I picked 4 lbs. of jalapenos and 10 lbs. of tomatoes. I have about 10 lbs. of tomatoes on the table and a bunch of eggplant and bell peppers in the fridge from the weekend.

Your link wants money. LOL. from what I see it's an article on canning? I do that.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 26, 2020 - 7:26pm



 JrzyTmata wrote:


 kcar wrote:


 JrzyTmata wrote:
"I still have the other half of tomatoes to pick. probably another 50-60 lbs. not sure what I'm going to do with those."


Start your own La Tomatina!





By Graham McLellan from London, UK - 00690016, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/...



I am astonished that you have a 100+ pound harvest. How many plants do you have? How many space does it take to grow that many tomatoes? 
 
I have 7 beds, measuring about 336 sq. ft. total. Not a huge garden, but tightly planted. 2 beds are packed with 26 tomato plants
here's a pic from a few years ago. it was taken about a month after planting.
My old abandoned blog has lots of pics https://growingupjersey.wordpr...



 


Oh! Just checked out your blog. Does Rob = buddy on RP.com? The pic on your blog resembles buddy's avatar here.

Rob is a licensed falconer?!? Wow. Wow. Much respect. I became somewhat obsessed with birds of prey around the 6th grade. Magnificent animals. I hope Rob and Mag's situation has improved.

One thing I love about the RP forum—you realize that members have connected with each other far beyond online posts. It gives me hope that America will endure.

You got all those tomatoes from 26 plants. "Phwooarrr" as the Brits like to say. I saw this article on WaPo the other day and thought of your harvest. If you can't access the article online, please let me know if you're interested in reading it and I'll happily send post it here on or in a PM to you.

Any pics and updates you have on your garden are most welcome to my eyes. Far more interesting than arguing about/posting epics about politics.


JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 26, 2020 - 6:58pm

there seems to be a COVID related canning supplies shortage. what's available is ridiculously priced. canning lids are going for average $10.00 for a box of 12. they should be about $3. 
stupid COVID.

WOOHOO! I found a Walmart in Philly that has them at a great price. ordered 20 boxes for pickup. I hope they actually have them in stock.
JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 6:33am



 kcar wrote:


 JrzyTmata wrote:
"I still have the other half of tomatoes to pick. probably another 50-60 lbs. not sure what I'm going to do with those."


Start your own La Tomatina!





By Graham McLellan from London, UK - 00690016, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/...



I am astonished that you have a 100+ pound harvest. How many plants do you have? How many space does it take to grow that many tomatoes? 
 
I have 7 beds, measuring about 336 sq. ft. total. Not a huge garden, but tightly planted. 2 beds are packed with 26 tomato plants
here's a pic from a few years ago. it was taken about a month after planting.
My old abandoned blog has lots of pics https://growingupjersey.wordpr...



kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 19, 2020 - 6:18pm



 JrzyTmata wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 JrzyTmata wrote:
30 lbs of tomatoes yesterday another 30 lbs. today.
 

Ooh, you got some work ahead... 

oh: Jrzy!
 

scott!
yeah. already canned 8 jars of roasted sauce. going to can the diced tomatoes (yesterday and today's haul. I still have the other half of tomatoes to pick. probably another 50-60 lbs. not sure what I'm going to do with those.
Peppers are going good too. nice and big bells and huge Italian frying.

Did you guys plant anything this year?
 


"I still have the other half of tomatoes to pick. probably another 50-60 lbs. not sure what I'm going to do with those."


Start your own La Tomatina!





By Graham McLellan from London, UK - 00690016, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/...



I am astonished that you have a 100+ pound harvest. How many plants do you have? How many space does it take to grow that many tomatoes? 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 19, 2020 - 9:54am



 JrzyTmata wrote:



Did you guys plant anything this year?
 

We have some garden boxes is all, a few tomatoes, some giant green peppers that must be anaheims. I'm going to put up some salsa this weekend but nothing like the batches you crank out. Probably going to roast the tomatoes and peppers first tho. Not sure.
JrzyTmata

JrzyTmata Avatar



Posted: Aug 19, 2020 - 8:18am



 black321 wrote:


 JrzyTmata wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 JrzyTmata wrote:
30 lbs of tomatoes yesterday another 30 lbs. today.
 

Ooh, you got some work ahead... 

oh: Jrzy!
 

scott!
yeah. already canned 8 jars of roasted sauce. going to can the diced tomatoes (yesterday and today's haul. I still have the other half of tomatoes to pick. probably another 50-60 lbs. not sure what I'm going to do with those.
Peppers are going good too. nice and big bells and huge Italian frying.

Did you guys plant anything this year?
 
Nice! 
I had 4 tomato plants...two which produced no fruit?
lots of cukes, beans, some peppers, plenty of herbs, rhubarb was good in the spring, and still growing your garlic.

 
That garlic is gold! I have never found another variety that stores as well as that one. and I don't know the variety name of that one is to buy more stock if needed.
Share it with others to keep it going.

I've had the occasional plant not produce. I have no idea why that happens.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259  Next