[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

how do you feel right now? - GeneP59 - Feb 17, 2020 - 4:08pm
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Feb 17, 2020 - 4:03pm
 
Democratic Party - Red_Dragon - Feb 17, 2020 - 3:57pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - blackjellybean - Feb 17, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - RabbitEars - Feb 17, 2020 - 2:11pm
 
RP 20th anniversary, Feb 2020 - miamizsun - Feb 17, 2020 - 1:02pm
 
What Makes You Sad? - westslope - Feb 17, 2020 - 11:56am
 
Show us your NEW _______________!!!! - sunybuny - Feb 17, 2020 - 11:45am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Feb 17, 2020 - 11:41am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Feb 17, 2020 - 10:56am
 
Things You Thought Today - Steely_D - Feb 17, 2020 - 9:54am
 
Family Ties - miamizsun - Feb 17, 2020 - 8:03am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Feb 17, 2020 - 6:52am
 
Climate Change - Ohmsen - Feb 17, 2020 - 3:14am
 
Live Music - R_P - Feb 16, 2020 - 10:35pm
 
Google Home - jarro - Feb 16, 2020 - 1:00pm
 
What are you listening to now? - SeriousLee - Feb 16, 2020 - 7:39am
 
Back to the 90's - R_P - Feb 15, 2020 - 7:34pm
 
Maps • Google • GeoGuessr - Ohmsen - Feb 15, 2020 - 5:03pm
 
March Of The Locusts - R_P - Feb 15, 2020 - 3:31pm
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Feb 15, 2020 - 2:39pm
 
Health Care - R_P - Feb 15, 2020 - 2:29pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Ohmsen - Feb 15, 2020 - 2:28pm
 
(Big) Media Watch - R_P - Feb 15, 2020 - 12:12pm
 
hAPPY aNNIVERSARY bUZZ and jRZYTMATA - Coaxial - Feb 14, 2020 - 6:28pm
 
Valentine 's - You wouldn't see today... - Antigone - Feb 14, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
Name My Band - buddy - Feb 14, 2020 - 12:41pm
 
Canada - R_P - Feb 14, 2020 - 12:37pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 14, 2020 - 12:00pm
 
Best Song Comments. - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 14, 2020 - 8:42am
 
A motivational quote - Proclivities - Feb 14, 2020 - 7:52am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - buddy - Feb 14, 2020 - 7:16am
 
Preferred media player? - haresfur - Feb 13, 2020 - 10:32pm
 
Growing Humanity... - black321 - Feb 13, 2020 - 6:39pm
 
ok, am i crazy? - pilgrim - Feb 13, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - Red_Dragon - Feb 13, 2020 - 3:25pm
 
The Obituary Page - oldviolin - Feb 13, 2020 - 3:24pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Feb 13, 2020 - 2:16pm
 
The House I Want (Today) - miamizsun - Feb 13, 2020 - 1:55pm
 
Bill and Rebecca, Thank You - BillG - Feb 13, 2020 - 1:17pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Feb 13, 2020 - 11:27am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - Antigone - Feb 13, 2020 - 11:13am
 
Bernie Sanders - R_P - Feb 13, 2020 - 10:45am
 
Business as Usual - R_P - Feb 12, 2020 - 10:37pm
 
Bryston BDP Pi - jbuhl - Feb 12, 2020 - 4:26pm
 
Films you're excited about. - miamizsun - Feb 12, 2020 - 2:28pm
 
Australia Burns - haresfur - Feb 12, 2020 - 1:20pm
 
Immigration - steeler - Feb 12, 2020 - 9:36am
 
FLAC Streaming - icculus - Feb 12, 2020 - 7:35am
 
songs that ROCK! - sirdroseph - Feb 12, 2020 - 6:13am
 
Tech & Science - miamizsun - Feb 12, 2020 - 5:20am
 
New Music - miamizsun - Feb 12, 2020 - 5:16am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - miamizsun - Feb 12, 2020 - 4:59am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Feb 11, 2020 - 8:28pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oppositelock - Feb 11, 2020 - 6:07pm
 
Those lovable acronym guys & gals - R_P - Feb 11, 2020 - 5:43pm
 
WTF??!! - Steely_D - Feb 11, 2020 - 5:12pm
 
Other Medical Stuff - haresfur - Feb 11, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Feb 11, 2020 - 1:12pm
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - rgio - Feb 11, 2020 - 11:16am
 
Corrections - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 11, 2020 - 8:40am
 
~ Have a good joke you can post? ~ - Steely_D - Feb 10, 2020 - 10:40pm
 
Republican Party - Steely_D - Feb 10, 2020 - 10:36pm
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - Antigone - Feb 10, 2020 - 3:59pm
 
Are you ready for some football? - miamizsun - Feb 10, 2020 - 3:58pm
 
Cell Phone Hell - miamizsun - Feb 10, 2020 - 3:51pm
 
Who Would You Like To See As President? - miamizsun - Feb 10, 2020 - 3:12pm
 
Photos you have taken of other people - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 10, 2020 - 1:19pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Feb 10, 2020 - 6:51am
 
Words that should be put on the substitutes bench for a year - sirdroseph - Feb 10, 2020 - 5:52am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - SeriousLee - Feb 9, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
The Grateful Dead - buddy - Feb 9, 2020 - 12:25pm
 
What makes you smile? - miamizsun - Feb 9, 2020 - 11:16am
 
Impeachment Time: - miamizsun - Feb 9, 2020 - 11:15am
 
KUDOS for BillG - miamizsun - Feb 9, 2020 - 11:13am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Fix My Car Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:53pm



 haresfur wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?



 opposed-piston engine, yes - exclusively diesel, I believe



haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:50pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:22pm

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 19, 2020 - 11:46am



 kurtster wrote:

Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
 
Missed this one when you posted 3 months ago Kurtster.  Thanks but frankly I believe your advice is misleading, at least for the models of Michelin tires I chose.  For context, we used to live extremely wet Greater Vancouver where the biggest natural threat on the road were rain storms of biblical proportions.  Now we live in an area where the greatest natural threat is 'black ice' — tire choice does not matter so much but some knowledge of basic physics and local knowledge of roads help. We do on occasion still descend into the wet belt near the coast.

The 4-season Michelin LTX tires on the Xterra 4X4 handle great in the wet.  In passing, if 'wet' is a danger, you really want to avoid AT (All Terrain) tires no matter how cool and sexy they look in the parking lot.  AT tires do not sipe water away as well as they could. 

The 4-season Michelin Cross Climates we put on the Kia Soul are highly rated for a number of conditions, including 'wet'.   So far, I am impressed under a number of driving conditions.  

The plan is simple:  buy used or inexpensive new vehicles, keep them forever and then take advantage of the savings to spend on top-quality tires and synthetic oils.   

Top quality synthetic motor oil exhibits lower evaporation rates which can be particularly useful for avoiding problems in GDI engines such as fouling of the intake valves.   GDI = gasoline direct injection.  Large numbers of cars with GDI engines are experiencing oil burning and/or loss issues.  Example, 3 litres of extra oil must be added between oil changes, a situation that many would regard as completely and utterly unacceptable.  Despite what dealerships are saying.  

cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 16, 2020 - 1:22pm



 westslope wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  
 
Pretty much all the synthetics give vastly better performance than conventional stuff. But good-quality conventionals have additives that can make them competitive with the cheaper synthetics. Newer vehicles use thinner oil (first number) to help them pass certain tests - I think there was a discussion about it here somewhere.

Filter-wise, the brand I use is Purolator. Usually their 'Pure One' line. Some years ago there was a long discussion on 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' site about filters. A guy dissected about a dozen filters and reviewed their features. Plus he dissected used filters to examine what they collected.
Purolator came out on top. That was awhile ago, I should check back over there and see if anything has changed.

'Bob Is The Oil Guy' is THE site for way more than you'd ever want to know about oil, filters, coolants, etc. etc. Total nerd-fest.

Happy Motoring!
c.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 8:38pm

I looked R_D.

The 2016 Ford Focus does have a GDI engine.  Welcome to the club, our Kia Soul 2015 has a GDI engine. 

In addition, the Consumer Reports rates the Focus very low for reliability.  You can if you wish offset or compensate this situation through careful maintenance.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 7:14pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  




Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 4:16pm

So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 1:04pm



 Proclivities wrote:
..... 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Agreed.   We get just a dusting of snow here and if we need to drive higher elevation, snowier places, we have the 4X4 Xterra that remains parked most of the time.

But we do go down to 'the coast', usually Greater Vancouver, a couple of times a year and there the rainfall can be absolutely horrendous.  Looking for a challenge?  Drive the Fraser Canyon at night during a torrential rain storm......

For kurtster:   Been running Michelin LTX 4 season M&S tires for years, first on the WD-21 Pathfinder (1993) and now on the 2nd generation Xterra (2006).   Never had a problem and they work great in heavy, sheeting rains.   Any hydroplaning is momentary.  

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:51pm

 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.
Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  

 
Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:46pm



 Proclivities wrote:


Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Indeed. We had a tire failure on our return trip from Chicagoland last month; dropped $750 on a set of them.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:39pm



 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  
 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:22pm

Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  






KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 4:53pm



 oldviolin wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 



 


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:56pm



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:12pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 6:18am

P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:44am

 ptooey wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories
 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

 
i think the damage to the block was too severe to repair

obviously it's also about the story with some sponsor stuff donated for recognition

but in the end (in the next episode) the engine finds a good home and everybody lives happily ever after
ptooey

ptooey Avatar

Location: right behind you. no, over there.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:30am



 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 6:50am

i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next