[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - Red_Dragon - Feb 28, 2020 - 7:27pm
 
Counting with Pictures - jahgirl8 - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:55pm
 
Trump Lies - jahgirl8 - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:48pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - Manbird - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:47pm
 
Bernie Sanders - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:44pm
 
Name My Band - jahgirl8 - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:42pm
 
Democratic Party - Coaxial - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:37pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Isabeau - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:34pm
 
Family Ties - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:29pm
 
Trump - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:28pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Isabeau - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:18pm
 
COVID-19 - Isabeau - Feb 28, 2020 - 4:01pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - buddy - Feb 28, 2020 - 2:18pm
 
Shipping News - haresfur - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:54pm
 
Republican Party - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:34pm
 
Things for which you would sell ManBird's soul - buddy - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:20pm
 
Guns - jahgirl8 - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:18pm
 
Things You Thought Today - SeriousLee - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:12pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 1:00pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - buddy - Feb 28, 2020 - 12:52pm
 
songs that ROCK! - SeriousLee - Feb 28, 2020 - 12:50pm
 
President Elizabeth Warren - jahgirl8 - Feb 28, 2020 - 12:40pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 10:24am
 
After Midnight - Proclivities - Feb 28, 2020 - 10:18am
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - R_P - Feb 28, 2020 - 10:11am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Feb 28, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Proclivities - Feb 28, 2020 - 9:47am
 
Recommended documentaries - black321 - Feb 28, 2020 - 9:11am
 
What are you listening to now? - black321 - Feb 28, 2020 - 9:06am
 
Useless Information - Proclivities - Feb 28, 2020 - 8:04am
 
Today in History - miamizsun - Feb 28, 2020 - 6:58am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - miamizsun - Feb 28, 2020 - 6:48am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - maryte - Feb 28, 2020 - 5:44am
 
Dear Retail Fashion Industry - sirdroseph - Feb 28, 2020 - 5:17am
 
Pants. Tops too if you want. - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 27, 2020 - 8:11pm
 
Automotive Lust - Red_Dragon - Feb 27, 2020 - 7:16pm
 
RP-FLAC--->Roon - jbuhl - Feb 27, 2020 - 4:46pm
 
What did you have for lunch? - Manbird - Feb 27, 2020 - 3:28pm
 
Interesting or Weird Cover Versions - Proclivities - Feb 27, 2020 - 9:12am
 
Stream links not working - psychokiller - Feb 27, 2020 - 2:19am
 
The War on Women - sirdroseph - Feb 27, 2020 - 2:15am
 
The Obituary Page - Antigone - Feb 26, 2020 - 6:17pm
 
NASA & other news from space - haresfur - Feb 26, 2020 - 6:00pm
 
Environment - haresfur - Feb 26, 2020 - 5:50pm
 
Back to the 10's - rhahl - Feb 26, 2020 - 3:47pm
 
Happy RP Anniversary! - jahgirl8 - Feb 26, 2020 - 2:47pm
 
Immigration - jahgirl8 - Feb 26, 2020 - 2:38pm
 
WikiLeaks - R_P - Feb 26, 2020 - 2:07pm
 
Canada - R_P - Feb 26, 2020 - 1:07pm
 
New Music - Proclivities - Feb 26, 2020 - 12:42pm
 
Russia - sirdroseph - Feb 26, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Feb 26, 2020 - 11:44am
 
Birthday wishes - BlueHeronDruid - Feb 26, 2020 - 10:27am
 
Dog - sirdroseph - Feb 26, 2020 - 9:51am
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - sirdroseph - Feb 26, 2020 - 2:36am
 
shoutcast down? - hacknase - Feb 26, 2020 - 1:26am
 
Age old problem - RP cutting out on NAIM products - tom14 - Feb 26, 2020 - 1:03am
 
The House I Want (Today) - jahgirl8 - Feb 25, 2020 - 5:41pm
 
Best Song Comments. - haresfur - Feb 25, 2020 - 2:58pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Feb 25, 2020 - 2:32pm
 
Play the Blues - black321 - Feb 25, 2020 - 1:53pm
 
Slide Show Sync - darshan - Feb 25, 2020 - 1:16pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - ScottFromWyoming - Feb 25, 2020 - 12:22pm
 
A motivational quote - R_P - Feb 25, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Content missing from forum posts prior to ~ 23rd July 2008 - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Feb 25, 2020 - 10:28am
 
Streaming addresses currently down? - SoupLadle - Feb 25, 2020 - 9:00am
 
The Green Thread: A place to share info about living a gr... - Proclivities - Feb 25, 2020 - 7:59am
 
Mardi Gras, mon cher! - Steely_D - Feb 25, 2020 - 7:45am
 
Sonos - BillG - Feb 25, 2020 - 6:32am
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Feb 24, 2020 - 6:56pm
 
Show us your NEW _______________!!!! - KurtfromLaQuinta - Feb 24, 2020 - 6:51pm
 
Photos you haven't taken of yourself - KurtfromLaQuinta - Feb 24, 2020 - 6:35pm
 
::yesterday:: - haresfur - Feb 24, 2020 - 5:53pm
 
Memorials - Remembering Our Loved Ones - haresfur - Feb 24, 2020 - 5:45pm
 
One Partying State - Wyoming News - jahgirl8 - Feb 24, 2020 - 4:30pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Fix My Car Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:53pm



 haresfur wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?



 opposed-piston engine, yes - exclusively diesel, I believe



haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:50pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:22pm

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 19, 2020 - 11:46am



 kurtster wrote:

Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
 
Missed this one when you posted 3 months ago Kurtster.  Thanks but frankly I believe your advice is misleading, at least for the models of Michelin tires I chose.  For context, we used to live extremely wet Greater Vancouver where the biggest natural threat on the road were rain storms of biblical proportions.  Now we live in an area where the greatest natural threat is 'black ice' — tire choice does not matter so much but some knowledge of basic physics and local knowledge of roads help. We do on occasion still descend into the wet belt near the coast.

The 4-season Michelin LTX tires on the Xterra 4X4 handle great in the wet.  In passing, if 'wet' is a danger, you really want to avoid AT (All Terrain) tires no matter how cool and sexy they look in the parking lot.  AT tires do not sipe water away as well as they could. 

The 4-season Michelin Cross Climates we put on the Kia Soul are highly rated for a number of conditions, including 'wet'.   So far, I am impressed under a number of driving conditions.  

The plan is simple:  buy used or inexpensive new vehicles, keep them forever and then take advantage of the savings to spend on top-quality tires and synthetic oils.   

Top quality synthetic motor oil exhibits lower evaporation rates which can be particularly useful for avoiding problems in GDI engines such as fouling of the intake valves.   GDI = gasoline direct injection.  Large numbers of cars with GDI engines are experiencing oil burning and/or loss issues.  Example, 3 litres of extra oil must be added between oil changes, a situation that many would regard as completely and utterly unacceptable.  Despite what dealerships are saying.  

cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 16, 2020 - 1:22pm



 westslope wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  
 
Pretty much all the synthetics give vastly better performance than conventional stuff. But good-quality conventionals have additives that can make them competitive with the cheaper synthetics. Newer vehicles use thinner oil (first number) to help them pass certain tests - I think there was a discussion about it here somewhere.

Filter-wise, the brand I use is Purolator. Usually their 'Pure One' line. Some years ago there was a long discussion on 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' site about filters. A guy dissected about a dozen filters and reviewed their features. Plus he dissected used filters to examine what they collected.
Purolator came out on top. That was awhile ago, I should check back over there and see if anything has changed.

'Bob Is The Oil Guy' is THE site for way more than you'd ever want to know about oil, filters, coolants, etc. etc. Total nerd-fest.

Happy Motoring!
c.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 8:38pm

I looked R_D.

The 2016 Ford Focus does have a GDI engine.  Welcome to the club, our Kia Soul 2015 has a GDI engine. 

In addition, the Consumer Reports rates the Focus very low for reliability.  You can if you wish offset or compensate this situation through careful maintenance.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 7:14pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  




Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 4:16pm

So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 1:04pm



 Proclivities wrote:
..... 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Agreed.   We get just a dusting of snow here and if we need to drive higher elevation, snowier places, we have the 4X4 Xterra that remains parked most of the time.

But we do go down to 'the coast', usually Greater Vancouver, a couple of times a year and there the rainfall can be absolutely horrendous.  Looking for a challenge?  Drive the Fraser Canyon at night during a torrential rain storm......

For kurtster:   Been running Michelin LTX 4 season M&S tires for years, first on the WD-21 Pathfinder (1993) and now on the 2nd generation Xterra (2006).   Never had a problem and they work great in heavy, sheeting rains.   Any hydroplaning is momentary.  

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:51pm

 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.
Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  

 
Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:46pm



 Proclivities wrote:


Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Indeed. We had a tire failure on our return trip from Chicagoland last month; dropped $750 on a set of them.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:39pm



 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  
 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:22pm

Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  






KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 4:53pm



 oldviolin wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 



 


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:56pm



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:12pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 6:18am

P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:44am

 ptooey wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories
 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

 
i think the damage to the block was too severe to repair

obviously it's also about the story with some sponsor stuff donated for recognition

but in the end (in the next episode) the engine finds a good home and everybody lives happily ever after
ptooey

ptooey Avatar

Location: right behind you. no, over there.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:30am



 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 6:50am

i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next