[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Questions. - buzz - Sep 20, 2019 - 9:45pm
 
Guns - kurtster - Sep 20, 2019 - 8:28pm
 
Pink Floyd Set? - kurtster - Sep 20, 2019 - 7:54pm
 
Name My Band - haresfur - Sep 20, 2019 - 7:48pm
 
Good Night and Good Luck - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 5:22pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 5:21pm
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 5:19pm
 
Apple's iOS 13 now supports telling Siri to listen to Rad... - BillG - Sep 20, 2019 - 3:54pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 3:17pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 2:35pm
 
What Did You See Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 20, 2019 - 2:02pm
 
volcano! - R_P - Sep 20, 2019 - 2:02pm
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - westslope - Sep 20, 2019 - 12:38pm
 
Trump - westslope - Sep 20, 2019 - 11:00am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - aflanigan - Sep 20, 2019 - 10:59am
 
Holy Frack! - R_P - Sep 20, 2019 - 10:33am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 20, 2019 - 9:45am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - SeriousLee - Sep 20, 2019 - 9:34am
 
Play the Blues - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2019 - 9:24am
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2019 - 9:17am
 
Things I wish for ..... - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2019 - 8:17am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2019 - 6:35am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2019 - 6:34am
 
Live Music - R_P - Sep 19, 2019 - 7:56pm
 
The Global War on Terror - westslope - Sep 19, 2019 - 6:59pm
 
The House I Want (Today) - Isabeau - Sep 19, 2019 - 2:43pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - nickferrante10 - Sep 19, 2019 - 2:33pm
 
September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day - oldviolin - Sep 19, 2019 - 1:15pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 19, 2019 - 12:54pm
 
Health Care - black321 - Sep 19, 2019 - 12:48pm
 
Bob Dylan - R_P - Sep 19, 2019 - 12:02pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 19, 2019 - 11:39am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - miamizsun - Sep 19, 2019 - 11:32am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Sep 19, 2019 - 10:33am
 
E.O. Wilson: The Creation - oldviolin - Sep 19, 2019 - 8:59am
 
Canada - sirdroseph - Sep 19, 2019 - 8:50am
 
No RP on Amazon Echo in UK - Jim_Messenger - Sep 19, 2019 - 4:29am
 
RP App for Android - jarro - Sep 19, 2019 - 4:26am
 
Player in Firefox not stable - jarro - Sep 19, 2019 - 4:15am
 
Chair & Posture - haresfur - Sep 18, 2019 - 6:18pm
 
Room 3a - haresfur - Sep 18, 2019 - 6:15pm
 
Food Texture Issues - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2019 - 4:03pm
 
Cooking for Friends.... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2019 - 12:03pm
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2019 - 11:39am
 
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge? - westslope - Sep 18, 2019 - 11:00am
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Sep 18, 2019 - 10:47am
 
Poetry Forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2019 - 10:04am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Sep 18, 2019 - 8:22am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2019 - 6:59am
 
Brexit - Coaxial - Sep 18, 2019 - 5:55am
 
Counting with Pictures - yuel - Sep 18, 2019 - 12:53am
 
The Obituary Page - Red_Dragon - Sep 17, 2019 - 2:58pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 17, 2019 - 12:29pm
 
What makes you smile? - PoundPuppy - Sep 17, 2019 - 11:46am
 
Drones - R_P - Sep 17, 2019 - 11:23am
 
Democratic Party - westslope - Sep 17, 2019 - 11:02am
 
The Electoral College - westslope - Sep 17, 2019 - 10:50am
 
What the world needs now is .... - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2019 - 8:50am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 16, 2019 - 6:40pm
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Sep 16, 2019 - 3:28pm
 
What song is this... Yoshida Brothers ? - nf_able - Sep 16, 2019 - 1:32pm
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Sep 16, 2019 - 11:25am
 
Favorite Quotes - oldviolin - Sep 16, 2019 - 11:03am
 
Thoughts in the Middle of the Night - oldviolin - Sep 16, 2019 - 10:33am
 
Bear! - Proclivities - Sep 16, 2019 - 6:35am
 
9/11 - westslope - Sep 15, 2019 - 10:11pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - Isabeau - Sep 15, 2019 - 8:25pm
 
THE CARS featuring TODD RUNDGREN - kurtster - Sep 15, 2019 - 8:03pm
 
Immigration - R_P - Sep 15, 2019 - 4:00pm
 
Interesting or Weird Cover Versions - SeriousLee - Sep 15, 2019 - 10:52am
 
What are you listening to now? - SeriousLee - Sep 15, 2019 - 10:33am
 
FLAC stream - amokbunny - Sep 15, 2019 - 4:21am
 
(Big) Media Watch - R_P - Sep 14, 2019 - 6:21pm
 
FLAC blocks - BillG - Sep 14, 2019 - 2:53pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - SeriousLee - Sep 14, 2019 - 1:25pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Fix My Car Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 4:53pm



 oldviolin wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 



 


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:56pm



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:12pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 6:18am

P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:44am

 ptooey wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories
 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

 
i think the damage to the block was too severe to repair

obviously it's also about the story with some sponsor stuff donated for recognition

but in the end (in the next episode) the engine finds a good home and everybody lives happily ever after
ptooey

ptooey Avatar

Location: right behind you. no, over there.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:30am



 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 6:50am

i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 23, 2019 - 11:31am

 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 
 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
 
No unicorns here.

Just little monkeys.

aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 12:24pm

 oldviolin wrote:

Sounds like the voice of experience to me Mr. Horno Plenty...
 
The voice of exuberance whispers sweet words of epismetology in your ear and speaks to you of the pompatus of love.
Try it; it'll drive your unicorns crazy
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 10:52am



 SeriousLee wrote:
......

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 
Is there enough room to take a digital photograph?    Something to think about next time the magic unicorns act up.  

If you are living in a part of the world with a sense of humour, you could go back to shop and tell them that your buddies advized you to photograph the unicorns hard at work.    From there on out, the service manager and mechanics would remember you and either give the best possible service or the worst, depending.  

oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 9:01am



 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
 

Sounds like the voice of experience to me Mr. Horno Plenty...

aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 8:37am



 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 20, 2019 - 12:38pm

I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 3:03pm



 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:


 westslope wrote:
re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.


What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
 

Exactly. That's what I'm planning. Show me what the problem is. It's a 2018 RAV4, front-wheel drive.

My googling the problem didn't turn up anything specific for a 2018 RAV4, but a bunch of them for other Toyota models/years. As far as I know, it's a NA model.
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
 
Yes, it's the center console. Going to the dealership on Thursday. Hoping they'll let me take some pics.

Egctheow

Egctheow Avatar

Location: In over my head
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 12:43pm



 westslope wrote:


 Egctheow wrote:
We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
 
Fixed. :-)


Sorry, I know exactly what you meant but couldn't resist :-) How many times have I taken a turn and thought to myself, dude, it was your other right you had to take. So I do have right left disorientation (among others). My favourite is Bill's location, "left coast".  Wouldn't that be something a country where you have to drive on the west side of the road :-)? That would keep us on our toes, while we still have any at least. Then again, we'd really be in trouble for east/west roads. Relative does have some perks as opposed to absolute I guess :-)


westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 12:20pm



 Egctheow wrote:
We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
 
Fixed. :-)

Egctheow

Egctheow Avatar

Location: In over my head
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 11:45am

We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 11:25am



 aflanigan wrote:
.....
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
 

I thought that was the case.   The photo was indeed confusing.  

But what do you mean by "European"?  Most Europeans drive on the left right side of the road so the steering wheel is on the left.  The UK and Ireland are exceptions.  
aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 9:08am



 SeriousLee wrote:


 westslope wrote:
re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.


What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
 

Exactly. That's what I'm planning. Show me what the problem is. It's a 2018 RAV4, front-wheel drive.

My googling the problem didn't turn up anything specific for a 2018 RAV4, but a bunch of them for other Toyota models/years. As far as I know, it's a NA model.
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 3:23pm



 westslope wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
......
 
From that Forums link:
"I had some work done on my car and the mechanic forgot to put the drain pipe outside..."

We did have some regular maintenance done in the car a few weeks back. Hmmm...
 
Well, if surgeons can leave tools and towels behind inside the patient's body cavity, I would mechanics to make the odd mistake.   :-)   

At least I do not think of auto mechanics as folks who go out of their way to defraud customers, unlike dentists.  

 

Don't get me started. 
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next