[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jan 18, 2020 - 1:44am
 
Canada - R_P - Jan 17, 2020 - 10:39pm
 
Stream stopping at promo - lannydevaney - Jan 17, 2020 - 7:51pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Jan 17, 2020 - 7:41pm
 
We need some new car names - kcar - Jan 17, 2020 - 7:32pm
 
R&R Hall of Fame Show - buddy - Jan 17, 2020 - 5:53pm
 
What the hell OV? - buddy - Jan 17, 2020 - 5:51pm
 
Trump - hayduke2 - Jan 17, 2020 - 5:39pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jan 17, 2020 - 4:15pm
 
DIY - cc_rider - Jan 17, 2020 - 3:27pm
 
One Partying State - Wyoming News - ptooey - Jan 17, 2020 - 3:26pm
 
What are you listening to now? - SeriousLee - Jan 17, 2020 - 12:53pm
 
war is a racket - haresfur - Jan 17, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
how do you feel right now? - SeriousLee - Jan 17, 2020 - 12:43pm
 
Mellow stream - jarro - Jan 17, 2020 - 11:45am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - Red_Dragon - Jan 17, 2020 - 10:22am
 
The war on funk is over! - rhahl - Jan 17, 2020 - 8:25am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Jan 17, 2020 - 5:30am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jan 17, 2020 - 4:40am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 16, 2020 - 8:20pm
 
What makes you smile? - Coaxial - Jan 16, 2020 - 6:14pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Jan 16, 2020 - 2:21pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - success - Jan 16, 2020 - 1:46pm
 
Fix My Car - cc_rider - Jan 16, 2020 - 1:22pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Jan 16, 2020 - 11:39am
 
Regarding cats - Proclivities - Jan 16, 2020 - 11:11am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - BillG - Jan 16, 2020 - 10:43am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Jan 16, 2020 - 6:07am
 
Music Videos - sirdroseph - Jan 16, 2020 - 4:24am
 
I'm a Dem. Which Republican would you recommend I vote for? - jahgirl8 - Jan 15, 2020 - 8:36pm
 
Stuff I like - Antigone - Jan 15, 2020 - 5:07pm
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - triskele - Jan 15, 2020 - 4:43pm
 
Private messages in a public forum - jahgirl8 - Jan 15, 2020 - 4:19pm
 
Impeachment Time: - kurtster - Jan 15, 2020 - 3:38pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - Antigone - Jan 15, 2020 - 2:57pm
 
Amazon Echo/Alexa stream not working - piratesbaseball44 - Jan 15, 2020 - 1:23pm
 
Books - R_P - Jan 15, 2020 - 1:03pm
 
Anti-War - westslope - Jan 15, 2020 - 11:58am
 
Breaking News - buddy - Jan 15, 2020 - 8:34am
 
Maps • Google • GeoGuessr - Red_Dragon - Jan 15, 2020 - 7:34am
 
Drinking Establishments - Coaxial - Jan 15, 2020 - 7:00am
 
LOVIN The ONION - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 15, 2020 - 6:59am
 
Star wars with a twist - sirdroseph - Jan 15, 2020 - 4:17am
 
Things You Thought Today - sirdroseph - Jan 15, 2020 - 2:21am
 
Iran - R_P - Jan 14, 2020 - 8:08pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jan 14, 2020 - 3:01pm
 
Photography Chat - haresfur - Jan 14, 2020 - 2:50pm
 
Internet Speed Test - miamizsun - Jan 14, 2020 - 11:33am
 
audio codec - BillG - Jan 14, 2020 - 10:33am
 
Are you ready for some football? - Coaxial - Jan 14, 2020 - 5:18am
 
Name My Band - miamizsun - Jan 14, 2020 - 5:05am
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Jan 14, 2020 - 12:16am
 
Guns - R_P - Jan 13, 2020 - 9:01pm
 
Sweet horrible irony. - R_P - Jan 13, 2020 - 2:31pm
 
Amazing animals! - kurtster - Jan 13, 2020 - 2:24pm
 
OUR CATS!! - jahgirl8 - Jan 13, 2020 - 2:12pm
 
help me - jahgirl8 - Jan 13, 2020 - 1:50pm
 
Republican Wingnut Freak of the Day - miamizsun - Jan 13, 2020 - 1:49pm
 
Big Brother - success - Jan 13, 2020 - 8:59am
 
Things Women Should Not Be Allowed to Do - success - Jan 13, 2020 - 8:14am
 
Posting pictures - RabbitEars - Jan 13, 2020 - 7:53am
 
Democratic Party - sirdroseph - Jan 13, 2020 - 5:18am
 
Tartaria And The Mud Floods - success - Jan 13, 2020 - 4:30am
 
RP Windows Desktop Notification Applet - gvajda - Jan 13, 2020 - 4:01am
 
The Obituary Page - westslope - Jan 13, 2020 - 3:03am
 
Band Names !!! - sirdroseph - Jan 13, 2020 - 2:58am
 
Android App not working on cellular? - jarro - Jan 12, 2020 - 8:36pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - SeriousLee - Jan 12, 2020 - 4:37pm
 
TED Talks - Red_Dragon - Jan 12, 2020 - 2:51pm
 
Films you're excited about. - islander - Jan 12, 2020 - 2:18pm
 
Iraq - R_P - Jan 12, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Jan 12, 2020 - 12:35pm
 
RP App for Android - rtrt - Jan 12, 2020 - 12:15pm
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - Red_Dragon - Jan 12, 2020 - 9:12am
 
Class in America - sirdroseph - Jan 12, 2020 - 9:11am
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 2, 2020 - 3:48pm

Update On Wind Turbines and Birds
ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 22, 2019 - 6:50am



 cc_rider wrote:


 haresfur wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:


 haresfur wrote:
a friend worked for a company that had a very efficient generator for turning heat from a solar tracking mirror into electricity. the cool thing was that it could use any heat source so they could park the mirror at night over a gas flame and continue to generate

the company failed because of cash flow, not because of the technology
 
The idea is pretty simple: use focused solar energy to heat water (or other carrier: I've heard liquid sodium is ideal) to make super-heated steam to power turbines. At night just use a gas burner or excess heat from a cement kiln or whatever.  The big solar arrays I've heard about have a problem with too much heat. They have to de-focus the mirrors to keep from burning up the piping.

A big problem is birds, though. As you get closer to the 'furnace', the solar rays get more focused, i.e. hotter. Apparently it'll vaporize anything that gets too close. Your Thanksgiving turkey is ready in three seconds flat though.
c.

 

Actually, the neat thing was that their system was much simpler. The sunlight was focused onto a linear-drive Stirling engine. Basically a shaft held by bearings that looked like the inserts for 45 records (I assume everyone here are old farts and I don't need to explain what those are). In a nutshell, the heat drives the shaft back and forth through a coil, generating electricity. The parts were simple enough that they thought they could repurpose a closed auto manufacturing plant for production. If I recall, their biggest unit was 3 kW.

I can't remember the conversion efficiency, but it was significantly higher than photovoltaic panels and didn't use fancy silicon. Also solar panel efficiency degrades with time. The tradeoff is having the disk reflector and having to keep it tracking the sun.

They were selling units to the military as generators using diesel as the heat source. More efficient than conventional generators. Not that the price is significant to them, but it turns out driving fuel trucks around a war zone is a dangerous job and the less fuel you move, the safer your troops. As a sideline, they could essentially run the system in reverse as a refrigerator. You can get people to stay hydrated with 30 C water but it's really hard to get them to drink 40 C water.

The boss was trying to set up systems in little villages in Bangladesh. One person power companies that could make a living charging cell phones, etc.
 Sounds really cool. It's a shame it's so hard to get alternative energy projects going. To be fair, they require a big initial investment.
c.


 
Good point, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him pay for the drink

cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 21, 2019 - 1:05pm



 haresfur wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:


 haresfur wrote:
a friend worked for a company that had a very efficient generator for turning heat from a solar tracking mirror into electricity. the cool thing was that it could use any heat source so they could park the mirror at night over a gas flame and continue to generate

the company failed because of cash flow, not because of the technology
 
The idea is pretty simple: use focused solar energy to heat water (or other carrier: I've heard liquid sodium is ideal) to make super-heated steam to power turbines. At night just use a gas burner or excess heat from a cement kiln or whatever.  The big solar arrays I've heard about have a problem with too much heat. They have to de-focus the mirrors to keep from burning up the piping.

A big problem is birds, though. As you get closer to the 'furnace', the solar rays get more focused, i.e. hotter. Apparently it'll vaporize anything that gets too close. Your Thanksgiving turkey is ready in three seconds flat though.
c.

 

Actually, the neat thing was that their system was much simpler. The sunlight was focused onto a linear-drive Stirling engine. Basically a shaft held by bearings that looked like the inserts for 45 records (I assume everyone here are old farts and I don't need to explain what those are). In a nutshell, the heat drives the shaft back and forth through a coil, generating electricity. The parts were simple enough that they thought they could repurpose a closed auto manufacturing plant for production. If I recall, their biggest unit was 3 kW.

I can't remember the conversion efficiency, but it was significantly higher than photovoltaic panels and didn't use fancy silicon. Also solar panel efficiency degrades with time. The tradeoff is having the disk reflector and having to keep it tracking the sun.

They were selling units to the military as generators using diesel as the heat source. More efficient than conventional generators. Not that the price is significant to them, but it turns out driving fuel trucks around a war zone is a dangerous job and the less fuel you move, the safer your troops. As a sideline, they could essentially run the system in reverse as a refrigerator. You can get people to stay hydrated with 30 C water but it's really hard to get them to drink 40 C water.

The boss was trying to set up systems in little villages in Bangladesh. One person power companies that could make a living charging cell phones, etc.
 Sounds really cool. It's a shame it's so hard to get alternative energy projects going. To be fair, they require a big initial investment.
c.


haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 21, 2019 - 12:49pm



 cc_rider wrote:


 haresfur wrote:
a friend worked for a company that had a very efficient generator for turning heat from a solar tracking mirror into electricity. the cool thing was that it could use any heat source so they could park the mirror at night over a gas flame and continue to generate

the company failed because of cash flow, not because of the technology
 
The idea is pretty simple: use focused solar energy to heat water (or other carrier: I've heard liquid sodium is ideal) to make super-heated steam to power turbines. At night just use a gas burner or excess heat from a cement kiln or whatever.  The big solar arrays I've heard about have a problem with too much heat. They have to de-focus the mirrors to keep from burning up the piping.

A big problem is birds, though. As you get closer to the 'furnace', the solar rays get more focused, i.e. hotter. Apparently it'll vaporize anything that gets too close. Your Thanksgiving turkey is ready in three seconds flat though.
c.

 

Actually, the neat thing was that their system was much simpler. The sunlight was focused onto a linear-drive Stirling engine. Basically a shaft held by bearings that looked like the inserts for 45 records (I assume everyone here are old farts and I don't need to explain what those are). In a nutshell, the heat drives the shaft back and forth through a coil, generating electricity. The parts were simple enough that they thought they could repurpose a closed auto manufacturing plant for production. If I recall, their biggest unit was 3 kW.

I can't remember the conversion efficiency, but it was significantly higher than photovoltaic panels and didn't use fancy silicon. Also solar panel efficiency degrades with time. The tradeoff is having the disk reflector and having to keep it tracking the sun.

They were selling units to the military as generators using diesel as the heat source. More efficient than conventional generators. Not that the price is significant to them, but it turns out driving fuel trucks around a war zone is a dangerous job and the less fuel you move, the safer your troops. As a sideline, they could essentially run the system in reverse as a refrigerator. You can get people to stay hydrated with 30 C water but it's really hard to get them to drink 40 C water.

The boss was trying to set up systems in little villages in Bangladesh. One person power companies that could make a living charging cell phones, etc.
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 21, 2019 - 9:02am



 haresfur wrote:
a friend worked for a company that had a very efficient generator for turning heat from a solar tracking mirror into electricity. the cool thing was that it could use any heat source so they could park the mirror at night over a gas flame and continue to generate

the company failed because of cash flow, not because of the technology
 
The idea is pretty simple: use focused solar energy to heat water (or other carrier: I've heard liquid sodium is ideal) to make super-heated steam to power turbines. At night just use a gas burner or excess heat from a cement kiln or whatever.  The big solar arrays I've heard about have a problem with too much heat. They have to de-focus the mirrors to keep from burning up the piping.

A big problem is birds, though. As you get closer to the 'furnace', the solar rays get more focused, i.e. hotter. Apparently it'll vaporize anything that gets too close. Your Thanksgiving turkey is ready in three seconds flat though.
c.

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 20, 2019 - 4:59am

a friend worked for a company that had a very efficient generator for turning heat from a solar tracking mirror into electricity. the cool thing was that it could use any heat source so they could park the mirror at night over a gas flame and continue to generate

the company failed because of cash flow, not because of the technology
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 20, 2019 - 4:53am



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

i'm not sure how significant this is, and it's an incremental improvement, not a new technology as the article acknowledges. The cement industry thing is a bit misleading. Yes it uses a lot of heat to make, but a lot of the CO2 release is from turning the limestone CaCO3 into lime CaO and you can't get around that
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 20, 2019 - 4:47am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

That's neat, and I wonder about smaller systems on cold days just for heating. Solar cells are cool but it seems more simpler to just gather the heat and warm the house.
 

wear your sunglasses, Mr. ant 
ColdMiser

ColdMiser Avatar

Location: On the Trail
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 19, 2019 - 4:25pm

 kcar wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

That's neat, and I wonder about smaller systems on cold days just for heating. Solar cells are cool but it seems more simpler to just gather the heat and warm the house.
 

Amazing development. If you applied this technology to heating living/working spaces as SFW suggests, I think you'd have to work with large apartment/office buildings.

This is also cool:

Heliogen said it is generating so much heat that its technology could eventually be used to create clean hydrogen at scale.
That carbon-free hydrogen could then be turned into a
fuel for trucks and airplanes."If you can make hydrogen that's green, that's a gamechanger," said Gross. "Long term, we want to be the green hydrogen company."
 
It will be interesting to see if the industries this technology is tailored to, cement, steel etc. will invest in the change over from fossil fuels. Or is it just easier for them to keep what they have in place, continue to use fossil fuels and still make boat loads of money. Its a positive step to develop the tech though. Not holding my breath it will be the new standard. 
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Nov 19, 2019 - 3:55pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

That's neat, and I wonder about smaller systems on cold days just for heating. Solar cells are cool but it seems more simpler to just gather the heat and warm the house.
 

Amazing development. If you applied this technology to heating living/working spaces as SFW suggests, I think you'd have to work with large apartment/office buildings.

This is also cool:

Heliogen said it is generating so much heat that its technology could eventually be used to create clean hydrogen at scale.
That carbon-free hydrogen could then be turned into a
fuel for trucks and airplanes."If you can make hydrogen that's green, that's a gamechanger," said Gross. "Long term, we want to be the green hydrogen company."

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 19, 2019 - 10:09am



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

That's neat, and I wonder about smaller systems on cold days just for heating. Solar cells are cool but it seems more simpler to just gather the heat and warm the house.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Nov 19, 2019 - 10:02am

Secretive energy startup backed by Bill Gates achieves solar breakthrough
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 10:59am

 Lazy8 wrote:
NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Isn't that stuff under enormous pressure?

That's why it's fizzy! Just crack the can open slowly.
 
Great for removing tartar! 
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 10:51am

NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Isn't that stuff under enormous pressure?

That's why it's fizzy! Just crack the can open slowly.
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 10:41am

 Lazy8 wrote:
Manbird wrote:
We need another form of energy besides stupid old fashioned electricity. Right? One that's almost free to collect and doesn't require physical means of transmission and storage. Right? That would be so cool. Can you work on that?  Oh, and it's completely clean, too. But maybe gives of precious metals and gems as a byproduct. But not too much, just enough so everyone can have about $100,000 per year. (Except stupid old rich people.) 

I would but I'm in the pay of greedy oil companies who give me free plastic straws with their logos on them so I can't make the breakthru that would make me a jillionaire because then how would I sip my fracking water?
 
Isn't that stuff under enormous pressure?
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 3, 2019 - 7:12am

Manbird wrote:
We need another form of energy besides stupid old fashioned electricity. Right? One that's almost free to collect and doesn't require physical means of transmission and storage. Right? That would be so cool. Can you work on that?  Oh, and it's completely clean, too. But maybe gives of precious metals and gems as a byproduct. But not too much, just enough so everyone can have about $100,000 per year. (Except stupid old rich people.) 

I would but I'm in the pay of greedy oil companies who give me free plastic straws with their logos on them so I can't make the breakthru that would make me a jillionaire because then how would I sip my fracking water?
Ohmsen

Ohmsen Avatar

Location: Valhalla Mists


Posted: Oct 2, 2019 - 12:45pm

 Manbird wrote:
We need another form of energy besides stupid old fashioned electricity. Right? One that's almost free to collect and doesn't require physical means of transmission and storage. Right? That would be so cool. Can you work on that?  Oh, and it's completely clean, too. But maybe gives of precious metals and gems as a byproduct.
 

Spiders can fly hundreds of miles using electricity


And then of course, there is this Magnetism of Sacred Sites available as spiritual technology, hahaha. 


Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2019 - 12:38pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
 

We need another form of energy besides stupid old fashioned electricity. Right? One that's almost free to collect and doesn't require physical means of transmission and storage. Right? That would be so cool. Can you work on that?  Oh, and it's completely clean, too. But maybe gives of precious metals and gems as a byproduct. But not too much, just enough so everyone can have about $100,000 per year. (Except stupid old rich people.) 
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 2, 2019 - 12:24pm

Can Electric Airplanes Put a Dent in Travel Emissions?

Short answer: no, not really.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 12:22pm

sulfur battery tech?

How Inexpensive Must Energy Storage Be for Utilities to Switch to 100 Percent Renewables?

MIT researchers list the energy storage technologies that could enable a 100 percent renewable grid


Another viable technology is flow batteries that would use abundant, low-cost chemicals to store energy in large tanks. But not all flow battery chemistries are inexpensive. One of the main types, vanadium redox flow batteries, have an estimated cost of $100/kWh, the researchers say, but more development could bring down costs.

Chiang is betting on sulfur batteries. He has recently developed an aqueous sulfur flow battery that could cost as little as $10/kWh. The technology has what it takes for long-duration, low-cost storage, and is now being developed by Form Energy, a company he co-founded in 2017 and that has recently gotten extensive financial backing.

There are other battery technologies to keep an eye on. High-temperature sodium-sulfur batteries cost $500/kWh, but with more development, their costs could fall by up to 75 percent by 2030, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency. Meanwhile, the cost of sodium nickel chloride batteries could fall from $315 to $490/kWh at present to $130 to $200/kWh by 2030.

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next