[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Trump - AliGator - May 25, 2020 - 12:15am
 
Phine Phound Photographs - haresfur - May 24, 2020 - 9:28pm
 
COVID-19 - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 24, 2020 - 9:03pm
 
RP Main Mix on TuneIn unavailable? - BillG - May 24, 2020 - 6:42pm
 
UK Heos Denon not available - BillG - May 24, 2020 - 6:39pm
 
Sonos - BillG - May 24, 2020 - 4:44pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - May 24, 2020 - 3:28pm
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - haresfur - May 24, 2020 - 2:35pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - May 24, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
Tidal / Spotify - Steely_D - May 24, 2020 - 1:05pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - BlueHeronDruid - May 24, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - NoEnzLefttoSplit - May 24, 2020 - 12:32pm
 
Movie Recommendation - rhahl - May 24, 2020 - 11:32am
 
FLAC Streaming - iwhughes - May 24, 2020 - 10:50am
 
RP App problems on iPod? - jtessier1841 - May 24, 2020 - 9:52am
 
Name My Band - Antigone - May 24, 2020 - 7:08am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - sirdroseph - May 24, 2020 - 6:58am
 
In My Room - buddy - May 23, 2020 - 5:34pm
 
Outstanding Covers - buddy - May 23, 2020 - 5:27pm
 
Climate Change - haresfur - May 23, 2020 - 4:48pm
 
Interesting or Weird Cover Versions - Coaxial - May 23, 2020 - 1:29pm
 
(Big) Media Watch - Lazy8 - May 23, 2020 - 12:31pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - R_P - May 23, 2020 - 12:27pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - May 23, 2020 - 12:17pm
 
Google Home NOT compatible?? - d_m_g_3 - May 23, 2020 - 9:32am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Lazy8 - May 23, 2020 - 8:22am
 
New Song Submissions system - miamizsun - May 23, 2020 - 5:09am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - May 22, 2020 - 9:22pm
 
Shall We Dance? - buddy - May 22, 2020 - 9:09pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - May 22, 2020 - 8:48pm
 
Things for which you would sell ManBird's soul - oldviolin - May 22, 2020 - 3:05pm
 
New Music - R_P - May 22, 2020 - 12:49pm
 
Sunrise, Sunset - Coaxial - May 22, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Weird Science stories - Red_Dragon - May 22, 2020 - 8:37am
 
How's the weather? - Proclivities - May 22, 2020 - 8:00am
 
Play the Blues - sirdroseph - May 22, 2020 - 5:52am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - May 22, 2020 - 5:17am
 
What Did You Do Today? - kurtster - May 22, 2020 - 3:19am
 
Dropouts on Bluesound PulseFlex2i - nieroster - May 22, 2020 - 2:01am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - gtufano - May 21, 2020 - 11:46pm
 
Attention Class! Time for Geography - haresfur - May 21, 2020 - 10:08pm
 
Automotive Lust - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 21, 2020 - 9:30pm
 
Way Cool Video - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 21, 2020 - 9:19pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - May 21, 2020 - 2:56pm
 
Economix - kurtster - May 21, 2020 - 12:15pm
 
The Obituary Page - miamizsun - May 21, 2020 - 12:00pm
 
What's on SFW's PSD? - oldviolin - May 21, 2020 - 11:20am
 
I want an iPhone!!! - miamizsun - May 21, 2020 - 10:05am
 
Progressive Web Apps - partev - May 21, 2020 - 8:19am
 
RP app for LG OLED TV - BillG - May 21, 2020 - 8:16am
 
Hell's Kitchen - islander - May 21, 2020 - 8:14am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - ColdMiser - May 21, 2020 - 7:14am
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - miamizsun - May 21, 2020 - 4:55am
 
RP App for Android - jarro - May 20, 2020 - 10:30pm
 
Amazing animals! - R_P - May 20, 2020 - 4:16pm
 
WORDS OF WISDOM - Proclivities - May 20, 2020 - 3:20pm
 
Glitch with adding RP as service to Sonos - BillG - May 20, 2020 - 11:03am
 
Rare Beatles Art - Proclivities - May 20, 2020 - 8:29am
 
The All-Things Beatles Forum - buddy - May 20, 2020 - 7:50am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - May 20, 2020 - 7:47am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - islander - May 20, 2020 - 7:18am
 
Take Me to the Bridge - sirdroseph - May 20, 2020 - 4:34am
 
NASA & other news from space - KarmaKarma - May 19, 2020 - 3:47pm
 
Republican Wingnut Freak of the Day - Red_Dragon - May 19, 2020 - 12:17pm
 
What's that smell? - oldviolin - May 19, 2020 - 12:06pm
 
Tales from the RAFT - Red_Dragon - May 19, 2020 - 11:52am
 
Tunein radio - BillG - May 19, 2020 - 9:52am
 
All AAC Eclectic Links seem to be down - spiff - May 19, 2020 - 7:22am
 
India - ScottFromWyoming - May 19, 2020 - 6:24am
 
Protest Songs - kurtster - May 18, 2020 - 9:22pm
 
Election Predictions - kurtster - May 18, 2020 - 7:57pm
 
World Music - Red_Dragon - May 18, 2020 - 6:21pm
 
I like cheese - Steely_D - May 18, 2020 - 3:57pm
 
Joni Mitchell categorization error - Prodigal_SOB - May 18, 2020 - 3:25pm
 
Interesting Words - R_P - May 18, 2020 - 12:50pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » The Obituary Page Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Post to this Topic
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 9:37am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
 

Bowie flipping off the paparazzi. He's carrying a copy of Uncut "100 Icons" in which he's #7. Apparently Uncut later used this photo in a promo, but (so far) there's no indication of a setup.

 
priceless
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 9:27am

 
 

Bowie flipping off the paparazzi. He's carrying a copy of Uncut "100 Icons" in which he's #7. Apparently Uncut later used this photo in a promo, but (so far) there's no indication of a setup.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 8:46am

 BillG wrote:

OK. Had to see that twice before I got it. Brutally true so far.

 



DaveInVA

DaveInVA Avatar

Location: In a hovel in effluent Damnville, VA
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 8:46am

'Grizzly Adams' star Dan Haggerty dead at 74


BillG

BillG Avatar

Location: Left Coast
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 8:17am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:



 
OK. Had to see that twice before I got it. Brutally true so far.
Steve

Steve Avatar

Location: Around My Corner... and Up Yours
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 7:55am

Recognizable to most SF Bay Area peeps, this guy was truly legendary. When you wanted news, you tuned to Al Hart on KCBS radio in San Francisco.

RIP Sir.

Legendary KCBS Radio Anchor Al Hart Dies At 88


DaveInVA

DaveInVA Avatar

Location: In a hovel in effluent Damnville, VA
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 7:50am

THE MAD GENIUS BEHIND THE ROLLING STONES AND YARDBIRDS, GIORGIO GOMELSKY R.I.P.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 7:30pm



n4ku

n4ku Avatar



Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 8:42am

For those of you who subscribe to SiriusXM, they have turned The Loft, Channel 30, into a temporary David Bowie tribute channel.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 4:55pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
I have a good friend, a very smart guy, who has a sort of redneck-sophisticate personality. He is loud and brash and unafraid to go skinny-dipping in the boss' pool at an office party. He was more than a little rough around the edges and put quite a few people off, but if you got past the exterior he is great fun to be around—intensely creative and willing to put in the effort to bring his ideas to life. Impulsive as hell and utterly unconcerned what anyone else thought of him. A lot of fun to be around.

He was a huge David Bowie fan. Named his beloved dog Ziggy. He was also utterly disgusted by gay people. Nowadays you'd call him a homophobe, but that never was an accurate term; he just found gay things icky, and he had a hyper-masculine personality. He is the only person I've ever had suggest an evening of gay-bashing, and I'll never know if he meant it or not.

When the Ziggy Stardust movie came to town he had to see it, and invited a bunch of friends along. And Ziggy was ever so gay.

You gotta wonder how someone listened to all that music and looked at all those album covers and never figured out what was going on, but the '70s were like that. All kinds of bands affected androgynous appearances as a fashion statement. It meant nothing other than yet another way to epater le bourgeoisie and establish yourself as a rebel hipster. I mean, did anyone think Alice Cooper was gay? Seriously? So maybe he gets a pass on that level of density.

The movie shook him up a bit.

Fast forward a few decades. He's out now, comfortably bi, posting pictures on Facebook wearing a Speedo and kissing boys at the Pride parade. My wife (who was there that night at the movie theater) says in retrospect she can trace the change back to that night.

I hope so. That would be a fitting legacy for Mr. Bowie.

 
Nice story. I'm kind of sad that men seem to have lost the ability to be straight and camp since that era.

... not that it applies to myself or any other Rpeeps... 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:57pm

 RichardPrins wrote:

And covered by...
 
I had a demo cassette from Ned years and years ago. Trying for a Kinky Friedman sort of success, I guess. He's an interesting guy.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:54pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
And covered by...

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:42pm

 RichardPrins wrote:

Pop psychology suggests that the greatest bashers are in fact engaged in the suppression of (secret) desires...

 


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:36pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
(...) Fast forward a few decades. He's out now, comfortably bi, posting pictures on Facebook wearing a Speedo and kissing boys at the Pride parade. My wife (who was there that night at the movie theater) says in retrospect she can trace the change back to that night.

I hope so. That would be a fitting legacy for Mr. Bowie.
 
Pop psychology suggests that the greatest bashers are in fact engaged in the suppression of (secret) desires...
lily34

lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:28pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
I have a good friend, a very smart guy, who has a sort of redneck-sophisticate personality. He is loud and brash and unafraid to go skinny-dipping in the boss' pool at an office party. He was more than a little rough around the edges and put quite a few people off, but if you got past the exterior he is great fun to be around—intensely creative and willing to put in the effort to bring his ideas to life. Impulsive as hell and utterly unconcerned what anyone else thought of him. A lot of fun to be around.

He was a huge David Bowie fan. Named his beloved dog Ziggy. He was also utterly disgusted by gay people. Nowadays you'd call him a homophobe, but that never was an accurate term; he just found gay things icky, and he had a hyper-masculine personality. He is the only person I've ever had suggest an evening of gay-bashing, and I'll never know if he meant it or not.

When the Ziggy Stardust movie came to town he had to see it, and invited a bunch of friends along. And Ziggy was ever so gay.

You gotta wonder how someone listened to all that music and looked at all those album covers and never figured out what was going on, but the '70s were like that. All kinds of bands affected androgynous appearances as a fashion statement. It meant nothing other than yet another way to epater le bourgeoisie and establish yourself as a rebel hipster. I mean, did anyone think Alice Cooper was gay? Seriously? So maybe he gets a pass on that level of density.

The movie shook him up a bit.

Fast forward a few decades. He's out now, comfortably bi, posting pictures on Facebook wearing a Speedo and kissing boys at the Pride parade. My wife (who was there that night at the movie theater) says in retrospect she can trace the change back to that night.

I hope so. That would be a fitting legacy for Mr. Bowie.

 
i love this. thanks for sharing.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 1:07pm

I have a good friend, a very smart guy, who has a sort of redneck-sophisticate personality. He is loud and brash and unafraid to go skinny-dipping in the boss' pool at an office party. He was more than a little rough around the edges and put quite a few people off, but if you got past the exterior he is great fun to be around—intensely creative and willing to put in the effort to bring his ideas to life. Impulsive as hell and utterly unconcerned what anyone else thought of him. A lot of fun to be around.

He was a huge David Bowie fan. Named his beloved dog Ziggy. He was also utterly disgusted by gay people. Nowadays you'd call him a homophobe, but that never was an accurate term; he just found gay things icky, and he had a hyper-masculine personality. He is the only person I've ever had suggest an evening of gay-bashing, and I'll never know if he meant it or not.

When the Ziggy Stardust movie came to town he had to see it, and invited a bunch of friends along. And Ziggy was ever so gay.

You gotta wonder how someone listened to all that music and looked at all those album covers and never figured out what was going on, but the '70s were like that. All kinds of bands affected androgynous appearances as a fashion statement. It meant nothing other than yet another way to epater le bourgeoisie and establish yourself as a rebel hipster. I mean, did anyone think Alice Cooper was gay? Seriously? So maybe he gets a pass on that level of density.

The movie shook him up a bit.

Fast forward a few decades. He's out now, comfortably bi, posting pictures on Facebook wearing a Speedo and kissing boys at the Pride parade. My wife (who was there that night at the movie theater) says in retrospect she can trace the change back to that night.

I hope so. That would be a fitting legacy for Mr. Bowie.
helenofjoy

helenofjoy Avatar

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 11:53am

 tomcool wrote:
A Dirge for David Bowie

Why are the stones mute?
Where is their cry for mercy?
Why is the sky still blue,
Why does the loveless Sun yet burn?
Insensate world, idiotic sky,
The one we loved has died.
 
His giant heart is rent,
His mind teams no more
With brilliant folly.
All that is lost, nevermore
To beguile our woes.
Unfeeling world, idiot sky,
The one we loved has died.
 
He sang for you, he sang for me.
He held up beauty as a gift
Invented in a universal mind.
A joke, a shadow dance,
A memory of a lost kiss.
Cold ashes, now, and worthless.
Brute world, idiot sky,
The one we loved has died. 


 
{#Cry}
lily34

lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 10:30am

 n4ku wrote:
There will be a David Bowie Tribute from 2-3 p.m. today on the 1st Wave Channel on SiriusXM.

 
dangit. i can't listen!
n4ku

n4ku Avatar



Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 10:25am

There will be a David Bowie Tribute from 2-3 p.m. today on the 1st Wave Channel on SiriusXM.
lily34

lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 12, 2016 - 5:35am

 DaveInVA wrote:

I bought this LP in high school when it first came out.....eeek I am really that old...This is what turned me on to David Bowie.

 i had that one, too. 


Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next