[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Fox Spews - Red_Dragon - Dec 8, 2021 - 8:17am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Dec 8, 2021 - 7:18am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - ColdMiser - Dec 8, 2021 - 6:54am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Dec 8, 2021 - 6:46am
 
Coffee - miamizsun - Dec 8, 2021 - 6:45am
 
Germany - Red_Dragon - Dec 8, 2021 - 5:56am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Coaxial - Dec 8, 2021 - 5:21am
 
Things You Thought Today - Coaxial - Dec 8, 2021 - 5:18am
 
Irish Traditional - sunybuny - Dec 8, 2021 - 5:13am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Dec 8, 2021 - 5:06am
 
Alexa/Echo?Echo Plus stereo streaming - Milhouse - Dec 8, 2021 - 3:24am
 
Apple Computer - KurtfromLaQuinta - Dec 7, 2021 - 8:02pm
 
COVID-19 - oldviolin - Dec 7, 2021 - 3:18pm
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Dec 7, 2021 - 2:56pm
 
Alternative to Travis Scott CD - miamizsun - Dec 7, 2021 - 2:38pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Dec 7, 2021 - 1:50pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - GeneP59 - Dec 7, 2021 - 11:01am
 
Skeptix - geoff_morphini - Dec 7, 2021 - 10:46am
 
Supreme Court Rulings - steeler - Dec 7, 2021 - 10:41am
 
Democratic Party - westslope - Dec 7, 2021 - 10:30am
 
Saudi Arabia - Red_Dragon - Dec 7, 2021 - 10:27am
 
Future of Human Race (in 500 years) - kurtster - Dec 7, 2021 - 8:44am
 
What did you have for dinner? - oldviolin - Dec 7, 2021 - 6:31am
 
TV shows you watch - R_P - Dec 6, 2021 - 11:11pm
 
Republican Party - R_P - Dec 6, 2021 - 3:43pm
 
Blast from the past - miamizsun - Dec 6, 2021 - 3:21pm
 
Derplahoma! - Red_Dragon - Dec 6, 2021 - 2:47pm
 
Webcomics? ... Webcomics! Webcomics! - Proclivities - Dec 6, 2021 - 12:17pm
 
Race in America - westslope - Dec 6, 2021 - 12:10pm
 
Timing Off? - orrinc - Dec 6, 2021 - 11:17am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - oldviolin - Dec 6, 2021 - 10:20am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - Ohmsen - Dec 6, 2021 - 10:15am
 
What Did You Have For Breakfast? - ScottFromWyoming - Dec 6, 2021 - 10:01am
 
Robots - Red_Dragon - Dec 6, 2021 - 9:59am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Dec 6, 2021 - 9:44am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Dec 6, 2021 - 8:25am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Dec 6, 2021 - 7:52am
 
The Obituary Page - yuel - Dec 6, 2021 - 7:52am
 
Environment - Red_Dragon - Dec 6, 2021 - 7:14am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Dec 6, 2021 - 5:55am
 
Floyd forum - Ohmsen - Dec 6, 2021 - 1:52am
 
Buddy's Haven - KurtfromLaQuinta - Dec 5, 2021 - 6:10pm
 
Joe Biden - KurtfromLaQuinta - Dec 5, 2021 - 6:07pm
 
short track after short jingle - KurtfromLaQuinta - Dec 5, 2021 - 6:04pm
 
Music documentaries - Manbird - Dec 5, 2021 - 5:07pm
 
Trump - R_P - Dec 5, 2021 - 11:06am
 
Fix my dogma - Coaxial - Dec 5, 2021 - 8:28am
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Dec 5, 2021 - 8:13am
 
World Music - Ohmsen - Dec 4, 2021 - 11:41am
 
Breaking News - westslope - Dec 4, 2021 - 11:24am
 
Mens Health - miamizsun - Dec 4, 2021 - 10:51am
 
RP Tapes! - miamizsun - Dec 4, 2021 - 10:36am
 
Nice set Bill.... - miamizsun - Dec 4, 2021 - 6:44am
 
The All-Things Beatles Forum - KurtfromLaQuinta - Dec 3, 2021 - 7:58pm
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - Manbird - Dec 3, 2021 - 3:59pm
 
Back to the 60's - R_P - Dec 3, 2021 - 2:33pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Dec 3, 2021 - 1:20pm
 
• • • Things Magicians Exclaim • • •  - Manbird - Dec 3, 2021 - 12:30pm
 
This Film is not yet Rated - Proclivities - Dec 3, 2021 - 12:02pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - GeneP59 - Dec 3, 2021 - 9:32am
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Dec 3, 2021 - 9:11am
 
Play the Blues - rhahl - Dec 3, 2021 - 6:41am
 
2020 Elections - Red_Dragon - Dec 3, 2021 - 5:53am
 
RightWingNutZ - Manbird - Dec 2, 2021 - 9:02pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Dec 2, 2021 - 3:06pm
 
New Music - black321 - Dec 2, 2021 - 10:48am
 
The RANT Forum - Red_Dragon - Dec 2, 2021 - 6:05am
 
Things that are just WRONG - Manbird - Dec 1, 2021 - 6:13pm
 
This Wonderfully Weird World - Red_Dragon - Dec 1, 2021 - 4:01pm
 
Damn Dinosaurs! - R_P - Dec 1, 2021 - 9:42am
 
Happy Thanksgiving! - GeneP59 - Dec 1, 2021 - 8:46am
 
Bear! - Ohmsen - Dec 1, 2021 - 6:50am
 
That's good advice - Proclivities - Dec 1, 2021 - 6:24am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Nov 30, 2021 - 9:20pm
 
Sunrise, Sunset - Coaxial - Nov 30, 2021 - 7:30pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Health Care Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 14, 2021 - 9:03am

 Steely_D wrote:


As long as health care companies are profit-driven, it'll keep happening. They have shareholders to answer to, so they have to figure out how to make money off your illnesses.


Eggzactly. Which is why profit and healthcare don't mix.
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2021 - 9:01am

 Red_Dragon wrote:

As long as health care companies are profit-driven, it'll keep happening. They have shareholders to answer to, so they have to figure out how to make money off your illnesses.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 14, 2021 - 5:53am

UnitedHealth raises 2021 profit forecast on Optum strength
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2021 - 6:55am

for educational purposes only and is not investment advice
lot of stuff going on in ai, biotech and health sciences

this is a potentially much larger deal than it may seem

about twelve minutes or so and this analyst lays it out pretty well

around the 6 min mark you'll get the idea and applications


Isabeau

Isabeau Avatar

Location: sou' tex
Gender: Female


Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 8:03pm



 miamizsun wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:
this could go in sci/tek thread as well (and this is not investment advice)

pretty much the future of health care (or one of the biggest factors)

quantgene's liquid biopsy is a long awaited technology whose time has come (or one of them)

the great thing about this is that bhakdi understands the science, the technology and the distribution

all about increasing precision medicine and decreasing cost

very impressive (search for jo bhakdi and quantgene or listen here)


 

for those who follow jonathan haidt you might have seen this...


 


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 4:55am



 miamizsun wrote:
this could go in sci/tek thread as well (and this is not investment advice)

pretty much the future of health care (or one of the biggest factors)

quantgene's liquid biopsy is a long awaited technology whose time has come (or one of them)

the great thing about this is that bhakdi understands the science, the technology and the distribution

all about increasing precision medicine and decreasing cost

very impressive (search for jo bhakdi and quantgene or listen here)


 

for those who follow jonathan haidt you might have seen this...


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2021 - 7:32am

i really hope there is something here

i know people who suffer with/from arthritis in a big way...

Humans Have Salamander-Like Ability to Regrow Cartilage in Joints

Process could be harnessed as a treatment for osteoarthritis 

 
Inflamed hip joint

Contrary to popular belief, cartilage in human joints can repair itself through a process similar to that used by creatures such as salamanders and zebrafish to regenerate limbs, researchers at Duke Health found.

Publishing online Oct. 9 in the journal Science Advances, the researchers identified a mechanism for cartilage repair that appears to be more robust in ankle joints and less so in hips. The finding could potentially lead to treatments for osteoarthritis, the most common joint disorder in the world. 

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 9:41am



 rgio wrote:


 westslope wrote:

Impressive.   Ratio means that the numerator and denominator are measured in the same units.

I would like to see a chart of some per unit or per patient real litigation costs faced by US hospitals over the same time period.

Oh well.  Nobody has ever argued that American Exceptionalism is cheap.  
 
Investor ROI doesn't grow on trees you know.

If you don't increase revenue faster than costs, how would you ever make more money?

 

I think you are trying to be funny rgio but that is actually not how markets work.   Risk-adjusted ROI does not evolve that radically over time.

But who cares?  Almost of voting American adults just voted for a guy who clearly has his own unique personal view on how markets work.   Is it not fascinating that just shy of 50% of voting American adults just voted for Marxist Keynesianism?  

Besides that, Trump had 4 years to replace Obama Care and finally decided that the status quo was acceptable.  


rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 9:03am



 westslope wrote:

Impressive.   Ratio means that the numerator and denominator are measured in the same units.

I would like to see a chart of some per unit or per patient real litigation costs faced by US hospitals over the same time period.

Oh well.  Nobody has ever argued that American Exceptionalism is cheap.  
 
Investor ROI doesn't grow on trees you know.

If you don't increase revenue faster than costs, how would you ever make more money?

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Nov 22, 2020 - 8:16am


Impressive.   Ratio means that the numerator and denominator are measured in the same units.

I would like to see a chart of some per unit or per patient real litigation costs faced by US hospitals over the same time period.

Oh well.  Nobody has ever argued that American Exceptionalism is cheap.  
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 16, 2020 - 7:36pm



 R_P wrote:
 

Welcome to America.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Nov 16, 2020 - 3:54pm

Hospitals Hike Charges by Up to 18 Times Cost
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Oct 20, 2020 - 8:41am

 cc_rider wrote:
 R_P wrote:
Investors Extracted $400 Million From a Hospital Chain That Sometimes Couldn’t Pay for Medical Supplies or Gas for Ambulances
Prospect Medical, which mostly serves low-income patients, has suffered a litany of problems: broken elevators, dirty surgical gear, bedbugs and more. Its owners, including Leonard Green & Partners and Prospect’s CEO, have cashed in.
 
This is just one more example of private equity firms gutting businesses. ToysRUs is another: a perfectly good company brought down by a rapacious PE firm. They do not add value - in fact they extract it. They do not create jobs - they create unemployment. They do not serve the community, local or otherwise - they exist to serve a handful of obscenely wealthy people.
I still do not understand how these transactions can be legal. They are certainly immoral.
c.
 
It's just business, nothing personal.
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 20, 2020 - 8:35am



 R_P wrote:
Investors Extracted $400 Million From a Hospital Chain That Sometimes Couldn’t Pay for Medical Supplies or Gas for Ambulances
Prospect Medical, which mostly serves low-income patients, has suffered a litany of problems: broken elevators, dirty surgical gear, bedbugs and more. Its owners, including Leonard Green & Partners and Prospect’s CEO, have cashed in.
 
This is just one more example of private equity firms gutting businesses. ToysRUs is another: a perfectly good company brought down by a rapacious PE firm. They do not add value - in fact they extract it. They do not create jobs - they create unemployment. They do not serve the community, local or otherwise - they exist to serve a handful of obscenely wealthy people.
I still do not understand how these transactions can be legal. They are certainly immoral.
c.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Oct 19, 2020 - 4:18pm

Investors Extracted $400 Million From a Hospital Chain That Sometimes Couldn’t Pay for Medical Supplies or Gas for Ambulances
Prospect Medical, which mostly serves low-income patients, has suffered a litany of problems: broken elevators, dirty surgical gear, bedbugs and more. Its owners, including Leonard Green & Partners and Prospect’s CEO, have cashed in.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Oct 4, 2020 - 3:31pm

GOP groups, healthcare industry attack Democrats’ public option
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 24, 2020 - 6:44am

this could go in sci/tek thread as well (and this is not investment advice)

pretty much the future of health care (or one of the biggest factors)

quantgene's liquid biopsy is a long awaited technology whose time has come (or one of them)

the great thing about this is that bhakdi understands the science, the technology and the distribution

all about increasing precision medicine and decreasing cost

very impressive (search for jo bhakdi and quantgene or listen here)


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Aug 12, 2020 - 6:39pm

The health care scare
I sold Americans a lie about Canadian medicine. Now we’re paying the price.
(...) The most effective myth we perpetuated — the industry trots it out whenever major reform is proposed — is that Canadians and people in other single-payer countries have to endure long waits for needed care. Just last year, in a statement submitted to a congressional committee for a hearing on the Medicare for All Act of 2019, AHIP maintained that “patients would pay more to wait longer for worse care” under a single-payer system.

While it’s true that Canadians sometimes have to wait weeks or months for elective procedures (knee replacements are often cited), the truth is that they do not have to wait at all for the vast majority of medical services. And, contrary to another myth I used to peddle — that Canadian doctors are flocking to the United States — there are more doctors per 1,000 people in Canada than here. Canadians see their doctors an average of 6.8 times a year, compared with just four times a year in this country. (...)

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Mar 4, 2020 - 2:24pm

Crisis averted!
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 4, 2020 - 9:58am

Interesting role on the brain/vagal nerve connection to health and chronic inflammation:

One nerve connects your vital organs, sensing and shaping your health. If we learn to control it, the future of medicine will be electric.
https://mosaicscience.com/stor...

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266  Next