[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

New Music - R_P - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:54pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - kcar - Mar 4, 2021 - 5:57pm
 
Biden's Lies - kcar - Mar 4, 2021 - 5:54pm
 
Steven Wilson - westslope - Mar 4, 2021 - 1:21pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - ColdMiser - Mar 4, 2021 - 1:12pm
 
New Zealand - haresfur - Mar 4, 2021 - 1:06pm
 
What is the meaning of this? - Proclivities - Mar 4, 2021 - 12:28pm
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Mar 4, 2021 - 11:27am
 
Messages in a bottle. - GeneP59 - Mar 4, 2021 - 10:34am
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Mar 4, 2021 - 10:32am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - GeneP59 - Mar 4, 2021 - 10:25am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Mar 4, 2021 - 10:22am
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Mar 4, 2021 - 9:57am
 
Climate Change - westslope - Mar 4, 2021 - 9:22am
 
Today in History - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Mar 4, 2021 - 8:19am
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:39am
 
Back To The 50's - rhahl - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:18am
 
Minimum rating for favorites - rwyatt - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:16am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:15am
 
Future of Human Race (in 500 years) - oldviolin - Mar 4, 2021 - 7:04am
 
What Did You Do Today? - Coaxial - Mar 4, 2021 - 5:04am
 
volcano! - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Mar 4, 2021 - 12:53am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oppositelock - Mar 3, 2021 - 9:03pm
 
The Future is here! - R_P - Mar 3, 2021 - 4:58pm
 
Terrorist Watch! - Red_Dragon - Mar 3, 2021 - 4:11pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - haresfur - Mar 3, 2021 - 2:20pm
 
RP in a Tesla EV - BillG - Mar 3, 2021 - 10:23am
 
Race in America - westslope - Mar 3, 2021 - 9:12am
 
Trump Lies - westslope - Mar 3, 2021 - 8:21am
 
Ukraine - sirdroseph - Mar 3, 2021 - 3:30am
 
Small-town news - kcar - Mar 3, 2021 - 12:40am
 
Surfing! - haresfur - Mar 2, 2021 - 11:04pm
 
Share a Website you love or hate… - whatshisname - Mar 2, 2021 - 6:36pm
 
Show us your NEW _______________!!!! - haresfur - Mar 2, 2021 - 5:24pm
 
Learn something every day - Antigone - Mar 2, 2021 - 4:50pm
 
Propaganda - R_P - Mar 2, 2021 - 2:29pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Mar 2, 2021 - 1:02pm
 
Derplahoma! - Red_Dragon - Mar 2, 2021 - 9:46am
 
What are you listening to now? - davidharper - Mar 2, 2021 - 8:10am
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 2, 2021 - 7:42am
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Mar 2, 2021 - 7:23am
 
Where would you like to live? - westslope - Mar 2, 2021 - 7:02am
 
That's good advice - rhahl - Mar 2, 2021 - 4:52am
 
Music documentaries - miamizsun - Mar 2, 2021 - 4:50am
 
The war on funk is over! - Ohmsen - Mar 1, 2021 - 6:23pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Mar 1, 2021 - 6:18pm
 
Evolution! - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Mar 1, 2021 - 11:35am
 
Testing your Metal? - miamizsun - Mar 1, 2021 - 11:11am
 
Buddy's Haven - Coaxial - Mar 1, 2021 - 10:50am
 
Why are Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds censored? - the_jake - Mar 1, 2021 - 7:39am
 
Real Life vs. the Internet - miamizsun - Mar 1, 2021 - 5:15am
 
Things People Have Said That I'll Never Forget - sirdroseph - Mar 1, 2021 - 5:13am
 
Republican Party - westslope - Feb 28, 2021 - 3:29pm
 
Stuff I've Said Out Loud - Antigone - Feb 28, 2021 - 12:39pm
 
Australia - westslope - Feb 28, 2021 - 9:34am
 
Fitness • Health - westslope - Feb 28, 2021 - 8:15am
 
Automotive Lust - kurtster - Feb 27, 2021 - 10:50pm
 
Name My Band - Manbird - Feb 27, 2021 - 4:42pm
 
You really put butter on the hot dog? - Manbird - Feb 27, 2021 - 1:27pm
 
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - rhahl - Feb 27, 2021 - 8:41am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Proclivities - Feb 27, 2021 - 6:11am
 
Classical Music - R_P - Feb 26, 2021 - 7:31pm
 
Birthday wishes - BlueHeronDruid - Feb 26, 2021 - 5:36pm
 
Joe Biden - KarmaKarma - Feb 26, 2021 - 3:14pm
 
Saudi Arabia - R_P - Feb 26, 2021 - 2:31pm
 
Anti-War - Ohmsen - Feb 26, 2021 - 2:01pm
 
Jazz - Ohmsen - Feb 26, 2021 - 1:43pm
 
Live Music - miamizsun - Feb 26, 2021 - 12:50pm
 
Braking News - miamizsun - Feb 26, 2021 - 12:39pm
 
Acoustic Guitar - rhahl - Feb 26, 2021 - 9:14am
 
Get the Quote - sirdroseph - Feb 26, 2021 - 4:03am
 
Lyrics that are stuck in your head today... - sirdroseph - Feb 26, 2021 - 4:02am
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Feb 26, 2021 - 1:55am
 
Health Care - Isabeau - Feb 25, 2021 - 8:03pm
 
Lets Rock! - jlind - Feb 25, 2021 - 6:58pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Trump Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 963, 964, 965 ... 967, 968, 969  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Sep 26, 2015 - 5:01pm


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 25, 2015 - 12:28pm

The Daily Pander...
In a rather transparent attempt to appeal to the Christian conservatives who make up the audience at the Values Voter Summit, Donald Trump brought a Bible with him to the podium when he spoke today, because "it brings back so many memories."

Trump them proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes delivering his standard stump speech, which consisted of relentless boasting interspersed with personal attacks on his rivals and vague but grandiose promises to solve all of this nation's problems.

At one point, after wondering why we even need to hold an election considering that he is leading in all the polls, Trump took a moment to assure the audience that he is actually a nice person.

"People were not sure I was a nice person," he said, "and I am. I am. I am. I am. I'm a giving person. I believe in God, I believe in the Bible. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of reasons. I love people."

Trump later closed out his speech by hoisting his Bible in the air and declaring "this is the key."

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 24, 2015 - 7:37pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
Who knows if he's right or not, but Scott Adams' blog has been discussing all things Trump for a few weeks now. It's fascinating to look at it from Adams' point of view.
 

The “Reason” for Trump’s Success

"I like to make predictions so you can hold me to them. I will double-down on my prediction that Trump will win it all (by a large margin in the general election) and that the media’s explanation for how it all happened will morph from one absurdity to another, because most writers and pundits are not trained to see under the hood.

The explanation for Trump’s success has semi-evolved from “outsider” to “authentic” already. More explanations will follow, assuming Trump continues to poll well. Watch for any new explanations of Trump’s success to be as ridiculous as the ones you have already heard. That’s your tell."



Read more: http://blog.dilbert.com/post/129713033741/the-reason-for-trumps-success#ixzz3mff0zlgq


 
Read the blog and the geo political article referenced.

Ok, works for me.  But I basically agree with what was said.

From day one, I believed Trump is serious.  While I can't yet say I 'like' him, I do support him, openly.  He has passed my first test for all candidates with his distinction between legal and illegal immigration and the remedies needed, nearly word for word.  My thinking on the matter began in the 60's during the Battle of the California Table Grapes incident and the establishment of the United Farm Workers Union by Cesar Chavez.  Illegal immigration was a large part of that and Chavez was clearly against it for obvious reasons, the same then as now.  So he is consistent with my very long standing view on immigration, especially the 14th Amendment and its interpretation.  Anchor babies are not in fact supported by the 14th Amendment.  A test case or an act of Congress is all that is needed to re establish its original intent.

On deportation, only to say that keeping illegals cost this country $200 Billion per year.  We can deport them for prolly $100 billion per year.  That frees up a lot of money that can be used here, for Americans first. There is a net savings in deporting them versus keeping them.  They are not too expensive to deport.  Straw argument.  Should we, that is a separate discussion, but for those who say that it would cost too much ... bull puckey.  It saves money, lots of money in the short term and for sure in the long term.

I believe that Trump knows what he is doing and capable of doing it, especially in the world of business and real estate especially, both domestically and internationally.  He understands the tax system, with no help needed from anyone else to explain it clearly to others.  He knows how to put a real business plan together where the numbers will add up all by themselves, without an interpretation required from the CBO.  They have to work because they are scrutinized at every level imaginable from bank, local municipality, school district, state and federal government as well as internationally.  Few politicians know how money really works, other than what their party tells them to believe and say.

He did not go to either Harvard or Yale.  Wharton, however is a mighty fine school.  He is a lot like Reagan.  Among other things, they both held degrees in Economics, not law.  I have had it with attorneys running this country.

Lastly, he is his own man.  I do not have to wonder who he is selling himself out to in order to raise cash.  He cannot be bought.  Ipso Facto.  When he issues a formal policy, they hold water.  His fiscal or tax policy, I forget which is due out in about two more weeks.  I expect it to be on time, sensical and plainly understandable.  I'm not worried about his finger on the nuclear trigger, either.

Time will shake all matters out.  Trumps is not the only one I would support, but right now he's the one of three I could support.

I'll just toss in Fiorina because I can.  No way in hell.  Now that Lucent was brought up, yes I remember, it was a very big deal here locally and among other things was the destruction of Western Electric.  I had not remembered until now who was in charge.  Fiorina was.  That kills her for me before it gets started.  Bad business sense and judgement on historical levels, beyond redemption.

No spin, the above best taken at face value.  And Trump is the only one running that I can say that I am willing to take at face value.  The rest are puppets of some kind.  I need to know who is paying for them.


islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 24, 2015 - 8:58am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
Who knows if he's right or not, but Scott Adams' blog has been discussing all things Trump for a few weeks now. It's fascinating to look at it from Adams' point of view.
 

The “Reason” for Trump’s Success

"I like to make predictions so you can hold me to them. I will double-down on my prediction that Trump will win it all (by a large margin in the general election) and that the media’s explanation for how it all happened will morph from one absurdity to another, because most writers and pundits are not trained to see under the hood.

The explanation for Trump’s success has semi-evolved from “outsider” to “authentic” already. More explanations will follow, assuming Trump continues to poll well. Watch for any new explanations of Trump’s success to be as ridiculous as the ones you have already heard. That’s your tell."



Read more: http://blog.dilbert.com/post/129713033741/the-reason-for-trumps-success#ixzz3mff0zlgq


 
Interesting, but I don't see it the same way. Among the reasons he's still here: Money - he's got lots, Mouth - lots, and willing to say the rude things that other people are (rightfully) uncomfortable voicing even though they think it, 2015 - still ramping up, It will be more interesting if he's still around after South Carolina. 

I really don't see his path to the nomination. Even if he somehow navigates the primaries and gets the nod, I just don't see the demographics for the general. I concede I haven't looked at the spread on what it does to swing states or even if it affects which ones are swing, but I just don't think it's worth the effort until he gets some real votes.

Honestly, I'm not sure if he would strengthen the lackluster support for Hilary or not. This may be the year we get 3rd parties over 1%, but I think the chances are better with Bush/Clinton that Trump/Clinton.  


ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 24, 2015 - 8:41am

Who knows if he's right or not, but Scott Adams' blog has been discussing all things Trump for a few weeks now. It's fascinating to look at it from Adams' point of view.
 

The “Reason” for Trump’s Success

"I like to make predictions so you can hold me to them. I will double-down on my prediction that Trump will win it all (by a large margin in the general election) and that the media’s explanation for how it all happened will morph from one absurdity to another, because most writers and pundits are not trained to see under the hood.

The explanation for Trump’s success has semi-evolved from “outsider” to “authentic” already. More explanations will follow, assuming Trump continues to poll well. Watch for any new explanations of Trump’s success to be as ridiculous as the ones you have already heard. That’s your tell."



Read more: http://blog.dilbert.com/post/129713033741/the-reason-for-trumps-success#ixzz3mff0zlgq

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 23, 2015 - 5:35pm

 RichardPrins wrote: 
velly eenterwresting ...

 

": What happened to The Pledge? Walker quits and slams Trump. Losers proving Pledge was sham."

Geezuz, there's a lot of hate flying around in there from all directions.  Looks like Fox might get hurt on this.  :popcorn: 


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 23, 2015 - 1:28pm

Trump to Fox: No more Trump for you!
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 15, 2015 - 3:22pm

::
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 12, 2015 - 5:31pm

Donaldo Trumpez...

via
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 12, 2015 - 7:05am



{#Lol}
LowPhreak

LowPhreak Avatar

Location: Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murikka, Inc.
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 11, 2015 - 6:57pm

21 Questions For Donald Trump

 

David Cay Johnston

 

I have covered Donald Trump off and on for 27 years — including breaking the story that in 1990, when he claimed to be worth $3 billion but could not pay interest on loans coming due, his bankers put his net worth at minus $295 million. And so I have closely watched what Trump does and what government documents reveal about his conduct.

Reporters, competing Republican candidates, and voters would learn a lot about Trump if they asked for complete answers to these 21 questions.

So, Mr. Trump…

1. You call yourself an “ardent philanthropist,” but have not donated a dollar to The Donald J. Trump Foundation since 2006. You’re not even the biggest donor to the foundation, having given about $3.7 million in the previous two decades while businesses associated with Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Entertainment gave the Trump Foundation $5 million. All the money since 2006 has come from those doing business with you.How does giving away other people’s money, in what could be seen as a kickback scheme, make you a philanthropist?

2. New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman successfully sued you, alleging your Trump University was an “illegal educational institution” that charged up to $35,000 for “Trump Elite” mentorships promising personal advice from you, but you never showed up and your “special” list of lenders was photocopied from Scotsman Guide, a magazine found at any bookstore.

Why did you not show up?

3. You claimed The Learning Annex paid you a $1 million speaking fee, but on Larry King Live, you acknowledged the fee was $400,000 and the rest was the promotional value.

Since you have testified under oath that your public statements inflate the value of your assets, can voters use this as a guide, so whenever you say $1, in reality it is only 40 cents? 

4. The one-page financial statement handed out at Trump Tower when you announced your candidacy says you’ve given away $102 million worth of land.

Will you supply a list of each of these gifts, with the values you assigned to them?

5. The biggest gift you have talked about appears to be an easement at the Palos Verdes, California, golf course bearing your name on land you wanted to build houses on, but that land is subject to landslides and is now the golf course driving range.

Did you or one of your businesses take a tax deduction for this land that you could not build on and do you think anyone should get a $25 million tax deduction for a similar self-serving gift?

6. Trump Tower is not a steel girder high rise, but 58 stories of concrete.

Why did you use concrete instead of traditional steel girders?

7. Trump Tower was built by S&A Concrete, whose owners were “Fat” Tony Salerno, head of the Genovese crime family, and Paul “Big Paul” Castellano, head of the Gambinos, another well-known crime family.

If you did not know of their ownership, what does that tell voters about your management skills?

8. You later used S&A Concrete on other Manhattan buildings bearing your name.

Why?

9. In demolishing the Bonwit Teller building to make way for Trump Tower, you had no labor troubles, even though only about 15 unionists worked at the site alongside 150 Polish men, most of whom entered the country illegally, lacked hard hats, and slept on the site.

How did you manage to avoid labor troubles, like picketing and strikes, and job safety inspections while using mostly non-union labor at a union worksite — without hard hats for the Polish workers?

10. A federal judge later found you conspired to cheat both the Polish workers, who were paid less than $5 an hour cash with no benefits, and the union health and welfare fund. You testified that you did not notice the Polish workers, whom the judge noted were easy to spot because they were the only ones on the work site without hard hats.

What should voters make of your failure or inability to notice 150 men demolishing a multi-story building without hard hats?

11. You sent your top lieutenant, lawyer Harvey I. Freeman, to negotiate with Ken Shapiro, the “investment banker” for Nicky Scarfo, the especially vicious killer who was Atlantic City’s mob boss, according to federal prosecutors and the New Jersey State Commission on Investigation.

Since you emphasize your negotiating skills, why didn’t you negotiate yourself?

12. You later paid a Scarfo associate twice the value of a lot, officials determined.

Since you boast that you always negotiate the best prices, why did you pay double the value of this real estate?

13. You were the first person recommended for a casino license by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Division of Gaming Enforcement, which opposed all other applicants or was neutral. Later it came out in official proceedings that you had persuaded the state to limit its investigation of your background.

Why did you ask that the investigation into your background be limited?

14. You were the target of a 1979 bribery investigation. No charges were filed, but New Jersey law mandates denial of a license to anyone omitting any salient fact from their casino application.

Why did you omit the 1979 bribery investigation?

15. The prevailing legal case on license denials involved a woman, seeking a blackjack dealer license, who failed to disclose that as a retail store clerk she had given unauthorized discounts to friends.

In light of the standard set for low-level license holders like blackjack dealers, how did you manage to keep your casino license?

16. In 1986 you wrote a letter seeking lenient sentencing for Joseph Weichselbaum, a convicted marijuana and cocaine trafficker who lived in Trump Tower and in a case that came before your older sister, Judge Maryanne Trump Barry of U.S. District Court in Newark, New Jersey, who recused herself because Weichselbaum was the Trump casinos and Trump family helicopter consultant and pilot.

Why did you do business with Weichselbaum, both before and after his conviction?

17. Your first major deal was converting the decrepit Commodore Hotel next to Grand Central Station into a Grand Hyatt. Mayor Abe Beame, a close ally of your father Fred, gave you the first-ever property tax abatement on a New York City hotel, worth at least $400 million over 40 years.

Since you boast that you are a self-made billionaire, how do you rationalize soliciting and accepting $400 million of welfare from the taxpayers?

18. You say that your experience as a manager will allow you to run the federal government much better than President Obama or Hillary Clinton. On Fortune Magazine’s 1999 list of the 496 most admired companies, your casino company ranked at the bottom – worst or almost worst in management, use of assets, employee talent, long-term investment value, and social responsibility. Your casino company later went bankrupt.

Why should voters believe your claims that you are a competent manager?

19. Your Trump Plaza casino was fined $200,000 for discriminating against women and minority blackjack dealers to curry favor with gambler Robert Libutti, who lost $12 million, and who insisted he never asked that blacks and women be replaced.

Why should we believe you “love” what you call “the blacks” and the enterprise you seek to lead would not discriminate again in the future if doing so appeared to be lucrative?

20. Public records (cited in my book Temples of Chance) show that as your career took off, you legally reported a negative income and paid no income taxes as summarized below:

1975
Income: $76,210
Tax Paid: $18,714

1976
Income: $24,594
Tax Paid: $10,832

1977
Income: $118,530
Tax Paid: $42,386

1978
Income: ($406,379)
Tax Paid: $0

1979
Income: ($3,443,560)
Tax Paid: $0

Will you release your tax returns? And if not, why not?

21. In your first bestselling book, The Art of the Deal, you told how you had not gotten much work done on your first casino, so you had crews dig and fill holes to create a show. You said one director of your partner, Holiday Inns, asked what was going on. “This was difficult for me to answer, but fortunately this board member was more curious than he was skeptical,” you wrote.

Given your admission that you used deception to hide your failure to accomplish the work, why should we believe you now?

 

http://www.nationalmemo.com/21-questions-for-donald-trump/


DaveInVA

DaveInVA Avatar

Location: In a hovel in effluent Damnville, VA
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 10, 2015 - 6:02am

Nixon Gives Beyond the Grave Endorsement to Trump

Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 9, 2015 - 2:21pm

 Steely_D wrote:

And you know what? He's been hearing that crap ever since he was at UCLA. He's out there busting his buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

 
Roger that.

 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 9, 2015 - 2:21pm

 Steely_D wrote:

And you know what? He's been hearing that crap ever since he was at UCLA. He's out there busting his buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

 
 
Antigone

Antigone Avatar

Location: A house, in a Virginian Valley
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 9, 2015 - 10:23am

In this article in the Washington Post.

Mr. Trump memorably told Mr. D’Antonio that “when I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now, I’m basically the same.”

“The temperament is not that different,” he said.


{#Eek}


2cats

2cats Avatar

Location: Oklahoma
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 4, 2015 - 11:56am

 Antigone wrote:

Very articulate and thoughtful.

 
yes
Antigone

Antigone Avatar

Location: A house, in a Virginian Valley
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 4, 2015 - 11:53am

 2cats wrote:

I liked all of that.  He is a good writer and thinker.

 
Very articulate and thoughtful.
2cats

2cats Avatar

Location: Oklahoma
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 4, 2015 - 11:45am

 Antigone wrote:

In particular I liked these two paragraphs by Abdul-Jabbar.

Trump’s rationale for avoiding Kelly’s debate question – that neither he nor America has time for “political correctness” – taps into a popular boogeyman. The term “political correctness” is so general that to most people it simply means a discomfort with changing times and attitudes, an attack on the traditions of how we were raised. (It’s an emotional challenge every generation has had to go through.) What it really means is nothing more than sensitizing people to the fact that some old-fashioned words, attitudes and actions may be harmful or insulting to others. Naturally, people are angry about that because it makes them feel stupid or mean when they really aren’t. But when times change, we need to change with them in areas that strengthen our society.

It’s no longer “politically correct” to call African Americans “coloreds.” Or to pat a woman on the butt at work and say, “Nice job, honey.” Or to ask people their religion during a job interview. Or to deny a woman a job because she’s not attractive enough to you. Or to assume a person’s opinion is worth less because she is elderly. Or that physically challenged individuals shouldn’t have easy access to buildings. If you don’t have time for political correctness, you don’t have time to be the caretaker of our rights under the Constitution.



 
I liked all of that.  He is a good writer and thinker.
Antigone

Antigone Avatar

Location: A house, in a Virginian Valley
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 4, 2015 - 11:02am

 RichardPrins wrote:
Mendacity 101: "Trumpf (only/just) has a problem with illegal immigrants!"

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Here’s how Donald Trump responded to my essay about him
The bully proves my point.
This morning,  an essay of mine was published titled, “This is the Difference Between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.” Trump’s response to my piece is the best, though inelegant, support for my claims. Here again, he attacks a journalist who disagrees with him, not by disputing the points made but by hurling schoolyard insults such as “nobody likes you.” Look behind the nasty invective and you find an assault on the Constitution in the effort to silence the press through intimidation. The full text is below.


 
In particular I liked these two paragraphs by Abdul-Jabbar.

Trump’s rationale for avoiding Kelly’s debate question – that neither he nor America has time for “political correctness” – taps into a popular boogeyman. The term “political correctness” is so general that to most people it simply means a discomfort with changing times and attitudes, an attack on the traditions of how we were raised. (It’s an emotional challenge every generation has had to go through.) What it really means is nothing more than sensitizing people to the fact that some old-fashioned words, attitudes and actions may be harmful or insulting to others. Naturally, people are angry about that because it makes them feel stupid or mean when they really aren’t. But when times change, we need to change with them in areas that strengthen our society.

It’s no longer “politically correct” to call African Americans “coloreds.” Or to pat a woman on the butt at work and say, “Nice job, honey.” Or to ask people their religion during a job interview. Or to deny a woman a job because she’s not attractive enough to you. Or to assume a person’s opinion is worth less because she is elderly. Or that physically challenged individuals shouldn’t have easy access to buildings. If you don’t have time for political correctness, you don’t have time to be the caretaker of our rights under the Constitution.


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 2, 2015 - 8:59pm

Mendacity 101: "Trumpf (only/just) has a problem with illegal immigrants!"

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Here’s how Donald Trump responded to my essay about him
The bully proves my point.
This morning,  an essay of mine was published titled, “This is the Difference Between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders.” Trump’s response to my piece is the best, though inelegant, support for my claims. Here again, he attacks a journalist who disagrees with him, not by disputing the points made but by hurling schoolyard insults such as “nobody likes you.” Look behind the nasty invective and you find an assault on the Constitution in the effort to silence the press through intimidation. The full text is below.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 963, 964, 965 ... 967, 968, 969  Next