[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Outstanding Covers - Steely_D - Aug 10, 2020 - 8:20am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - cc_rider - Aug 10, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Aug 10, 2020 - 8:03am
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - Coaxial - Aug 10, 2020 - 7:57am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Coaxial - Aug 10, 2020 - 7:51am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Aug 10, 2020 - 4:58am
 
Lebanon - Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:59am
 
TV shows you watch - Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:43am
 
Trump - R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:14am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:33am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - gtufano - Aug 9, 2020 - 10:39pm
 
Breaking News - islander - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:55pm
 
Play RP My Favorites stream via HEOS services - morefigs - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:21pm
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - Red_Dragon - Aug 9, 2020 - 5:20pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Aug 9, 2020 - 4:14pm
 
Stuff I've Said Out Loud - Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 2:40pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 9, 2020 - 1:10pm
 
Amazing animals! - R_P - Aug 9, 2020 - 12:11pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Aug 9, 2020 - 10:37am
 
True Confessions - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:34am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:32am
 
Automotive Lust - islander - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:09am
 
Florida - miamizsun - Aug 9, 2020 - 8:06am
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Aug 9, 2020 - 8:00am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:22am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:18am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:27am
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:24am
 
Gardeners Corner - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 9, 2020 - 1:17am
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 4:40pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - miamizsun - Aug 8, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:35pm
 
Private messages in a public forum - miamizsun - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:25pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - Red_Dragon - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:09pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 11:00am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - triskele - Aug 8, 2020 - 10:59am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Aug 8, 2020 - 7:41am
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:22pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 3:00pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
New Music - buddy - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
HELP! Sound Cutting out problem - michael16 - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone - rhahl - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:51pm
 
2020 Elections - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:02pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 12:39pm
 
It seemed like a good idea at the time - Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 11:54am
 
What did you have for lunch? - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:55am
 
American Justice - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:40am
 
Music Videos - black321 - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:30am
 
New Song Submissions system - Hastur_T - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:12am
 
Republican Party - Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 6:33am
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:57am
 
Your favorite artist - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:44am
 
Reinstock '05 Link Repository - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:38am
 
China - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 9:01pm
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:41pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - rgio - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:25pm
 
Offset between Music and Song/Interpret Text, Silence... - nicolas65 - Aug 6, 2020 - 11:23am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2020 - 10:03am
 
Artists You Miss - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Aug 6, 2020 - 8:30am
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - Proclivities - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34am
 
Yellowstone is in Wyoming Meetup • Aug. 11 2007 • YEA... - sunybuny - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:31am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Steely_D - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Capital Punishment - R_P - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
Better Together - MarcsRadio - Aug 5, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
Auto-skip songs I rate poorly - MrPeebles - Aug 5, 2020 - 10:12am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - KarmaKarma - Aug 5, 2020 - 10:09am
 
Little known information...maybe even facts - miamizsun - Aug 5, 2020 - 9:24am
 
Two Things - oldviolin - Aug 5, 2020 - 7:18am
 
NASA & other news from space - Coaxial - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:45am
 
RP Streaming Keeps Stopping - jarro - Aug 5, 2020 - 2:41am
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
RightWingNutZ - kcar - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » About RP » Baseball, anyone? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 1742, 1743, 1744  Next
Post to this Topic
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 2:25pm

Baseball has a lot of oddities, but the NL East right now...

- is lead by a team with 5 wins...
- That is 1/2 a game ahead of a team with 8 wins...
- who are 2 games ahead of a team with 4 wins...
- Who are 1/2 a game ahead of a team with 2 wins...
- Who are 1/2 a game ahead of a team with 5 wins?

2 teams have played 6 games....and 2 have played 13... and one team has played 9?

I'm so confused
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 12:04pm

 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
 

A shame. He was lights-out for the Sox for a long time. 
 

 I think there's good chance he'll return to something close eventually if he doesn't drive himself crazy first. 
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 11:53am



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
 

A shame. He was lights-out for the Sox for a long time. 
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 11:32am

 kcar wrote:
Has Kimbrel ever pitched well since coming to the Cubs? He was lights out in the first half of the Red Sox's championship year but got progressively shakier in the second. 
 
 He's had a few decent outings, but nothing close to what you would expect from looking at his pre-Cubs numbers, no.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 10:49am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
 
Especially if they put Kimbrel in again.

 
Has Kimbrel ever pitched well since coming to the Cubs? He was lights out in the first half of the Red Sox's championship year but got progressively shakier in the second. 

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 5, 2020 - 6:33pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
 
Especially if they put Kimbrel in again.

Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 5, 2020 - 3:55pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
6:50 pm EST  At 9 -2 we are now tied for the best record in the majors with someone other than the Yankees.   It would be OK if you end it now I guess, but you better hurry this could all change in a few hours.

 
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:05am

 kcar wrote:
I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 
 It may serve some useful purpose.  In our first game against the Brewers they got close to having a bench clearing brawl because everyone could now hear all the trash talking from the other dugout.  The following day they turned the volume up.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 4, 2020 - 8:04am

 zevon wrote:

First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
 
I think it may give a small advantage to the away team.  Assuming you don't score in the top half of an inning it doesn't hurt you to walk a batter to set up a double play in the bottom half.  Also strange is the situation where a team's best base stealer comes up with two away and first open.  Do you walk him so he doesn't start out on second the next inning should there be one?
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:53pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
 

I hear you, but something about the whole arrangement seemed forced, empty and even a little creepy. I'm getting the feeling that MLB will have to shut down: a lot of players are testing positive. 

As for the NFL, we'll have to see but there's a greater chance of transmission between players from what I've read. Eight players from the Patriots have opted out of the season and the team's linebacker corps is reduced to question marks. You have to ask if it's really worth the trouble of trying to play a season. My preference is to have leagues not play the season unless they can keep players in a bubble. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:47pm



 kcar wrote:


 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
 

They're all doing it, and it's amusing at first but once you zen in on the game and announcers, that all disappears. Some (all?) teams are using audio from the MLB video game. A little cross promotion, it usually sounds okay.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:41pm



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 

I had the same reaction at a gut level when I stumbled across the Red Sox playing the Mets on Fox. From a distance it looked there was a group of fans behind home plate, surrounded by empty seats. I looked closer and realized those fans were just cardboard cutouts. Either Fox or the Mets were playing canned crowd noise. I couldn't watch that crap. 
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 9:26pm

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
 
First ever 2 run lead off home run last week. {#Mad}
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 10:10am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
 

   I don't think I'm going to consider it a real season no matter what happens.  We had to endure our first extra inning nonsense last night.   It ain't baseball, but it's all we got for the time being.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:53am



 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
 

I think you might also want to consider playing more games than a high school chess team before you call it a season.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 3, 2020 - 8:29am

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Yeah but the damn Yankees are half a game ahead of us with a winning percentage of .875.  If it stopped now they would surpass the 1906 Cubs' .763 for the highest winning percentage of all time.  We can't let that happen.   We need to wait till they lose a few more or we get ahead of them first.
ScottN

ScottN Avatar

Location: Half inch above the K/T boundary
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 11:21pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:
Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
 
Careful what you wish for...
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 4:23pm

Cubs are now 7-2 and on top of the NL - end the season now, please.
zevon

zevon Avatar

Location: Red Sox Nation.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:48am

 steeler wrote:


 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
 
Rants likely to get worse once football season gets closer. {#Lol} I hope you and yours are well! {#Cheers}

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 9:14am



 zevon wrote:
Sad to say I think it’s time to throw in the towel on the ****season****, multiple asterisks intentional. Like a walk you no longer have to throw 4 pitches to accomplish.
MLB crammed 60 games into 70-71 days, Rainouts would cause pretty bad scheduling conflicts as there would not be many aligned schedule windows for makeup games. Rainouts are no longer relevant, the Rona has wreaked destruction on the schedule in two short weeks. Most teams have now played 8 or 9 games, all should have. Miami and Philly have each played 3. St. Louis is now missing games and likely won’t play this week. How in hell are all those games going to be made up? Teams can’t play 7 inning double headers ( a joke in the first place) every other day. There’s pressure to end the season on time, as the playoffs - expanded rather than contracted, another joke - will be up against winter weather by the time the Series rolls around.
MLB totally fucked up the scheduling in the first place. I’ll mention Boston here a couple times, not as a pIssued off fan but just because that’s who I follow and I see what’s going on with them. They are not in a unique situation.
First, playing 10 games against each division opponent and 5 against the other league’s same division has one common denominator. ThOse numbers are both divisible by 5. All series should have been 5 games, home and home against division rivals and 2 each home and away inter league series. Had they done this travel between division rivals would be cut down 33.3% (1 road trip for each rival to the other’s city, vs current 1 trip for 1 team, 2 for the other. It would cut down travel for inter league matchups down by 50% - 1 trip for 1 team vs 1 Trip for each team. Limiting travel and reducing exposure to the general public was in the players’ best interest. Big fail by the schedulers.
Here’s two other fails pertaining to Boston, again, I’m sure these aren’t unique. We go to NY twice, play 7 in Yankee stadium and 3 against them in Fenway. That sucks, could have at least been 6-4 if not the ideal 5-5. Second item, Sox will have played 10 days in a row assuming today“s game isn’t rained out. They get to fly to Tampa tomorrow to play a TWO game series, and then get another travel day back to Boston on Thursday. There goes 2 of 10 or 11 precious “off days” , which really aren’t “off” at all when you spend half of them dealing with transportation. 
 It hurts to say I don’t give a shit if another game is played. I love the game, but this is an abomination. Take the “Mina” out of that last word and replace it with an “r” if you wish, that’s what the season will end up as. MLB, do the right thing and terminate in it’s first trimester.
Enough from me. You can correctly assume I’d like to see Mannfred shitcanned ASAP, COVID can’t be blamed on him, but throwing a season together in unsafe and unreasonable conditions lands directly in his lap.

 

Well reasoned. Good rant.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 1742, 1743, 1744  Next