[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Looting & vandalism isn't protest - sirdroseph - Oct 31, 2020 - 4:14am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Oct 31, 2020 - 4:11am
 
2020 Elections - ScottFromWyoming - Oct 31, 2020 - 4:04am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Oct 30, 2020 - 8:59pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Manbird - Oct 30, 2020 - 7:48pm
 
Trump Lies - Manbird - Oct 30, 2020 - 7:45pm
 
COVID-19 - Manbird - Oct 30, 2020 - 6:57pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Manbird - Oct 30, 2020 - 6:47pm
 
Outstanding Covers - ptooey - Oct 30, 2020 - 5:40pm
 
Joe Biden - R_P - Oct 30, 2020 - 3:32pm
 
Trump - Steely_D - Oct 30, 2020 - 2:55pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Oct 30, 2020 - 1:28pm
 
KarmaKarma Sweepstakes - kcar - Oct 30, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
Things that piss me off - Isabeau - Oct 30, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Name My Band - Isabeau - Oct 30, 2020 - 12:45pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Oct 30, 2020 - 9:52am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Ohmsen - Oct 30, 2020 - 8:36am
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Oct 30, 2020 - 7:28am
 
Happy Halloween Yall! - sirdroseph - Oct 30, 2020 - 7:21am
 
codec - Ohmsen - Oct 30, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - sirdroseph - Oct 30, 2020 - 5:39am
 
Message To Lucky - miamizsun - Oct 30, 2020 - 4:30am
 
The Dragon's Roots - miamizsun - Oct 30, 2020 - 4:24am
 
Media Bias - miamizsun - Oct 30, 2020 - 3:56am
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Oct 29, 2020 - 9:10pm
 
Have you planned your Halloween costume yet?? - miamizsun - Oct 29, 2020 - 6:34pm
 
Canada - haresfur - Oct 29, 2020 - 3:41pm
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - kcar - Oct 29, 2020 - 3:39pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - R_P - Oct 29, 2020 - 3:05pm
 
Questions. - pigtail - Oct 29, 2020 - 10:49am
 
Photos you have taken of your walks or hikes. - Antigone - Oct 29, 2020 - 6:05am
 
NEED A COMPUTER GEEK! - miamizsun - Oct 29, 2020 - 4:20am
 
Can't sleep - westslope - Oct 28, 2020 - 10:07pm
 
The Obituary Page - ScottN - Oct 28, 2020 - 9:49pm
 
Add a "Modern mix" - darrio - Oct 28, 2020 - 6:59pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - Oct 28, 2020 - 6:10pm
 
Today in History - miamizsun - Oct 28, 2020 - 4:27pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Oct 28, 2020 - 8:53am
 
TWO WORDS - rgio - Oct 28, 2020 - 6:57am
 
Baseball, anyone? - miamizsun - Oct 28, 2020 - 4:31am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Oct 27, 2020 - 7:21pm
 
how do you feel right now? - kurtster - Oct 27, 2020 - 6:23pm
 
VTuner drop Radio Paradise’s main mix? - BillG - Oct 27, 2020 - 3:56pm
 
Environment - Ohmsen - Oct 27, 2020 - 2:39pm
 
Recommended documentaries - Ohmsen - Oct 27, 2020 - 2:33pm
 
Republican Party - Steely_D - Oct 27, 2020 - 1:28pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Oct 27, 2020 - 11:45am
 
Great guitar faces - GINRUSH - Oct 27, 2020 - 11:27am
 
david bromberg - Antigone - Oct 27, 2020 - 6:09am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Oct 26, 2020 - 7:27pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Oct 26, 2020 - 4:59pm
 
::odd but intriguing:: - miamizsun - Oct 26, 2020 - 4:42pm
 
New Zealand - R_P - Oct 26, 2020 - 3:09pm
 
Favorite Quotes - westslope - Oct 26, 2020 - 2:04pm
 
Films you're excited about. - oldviolin - Oct 25, 2020 - 7:06pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 25, 2020 - 6:29pm
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - oldviolin - Oct 25, 2020 - 3:02pm
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - oldviolin - Oct 25, 2020 - 2:54pm
 
How's the weather? - haresfur - Oct 25, 2020 - 2:25pm
 
What's that smell? - Antigone - Oct 25, 2020 - 9:49am
 
De onde você ouve a Radio Paradise? Cidade/Local no Brasil - crishtiane - Oct 24, 2020 - 10:33pm
 
RPeeps I miss. - KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 24, 2020 - 9:51pm
 
RightWingNutZ - R_P - Oct 24, 2020 - 5:01pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - Red_Dragon - Oct 24, 2020 - 3:53pm
 
More reggae, less Marley please - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 10:22am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Oct 24, 2020 - 10:17am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Oct 24, 2020 - 10:10am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - oldviolin - Oct 24, 2020 - 10:09am
 
Music Videos - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 9:50am
 
Ambient Music - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 9:41am
 
Live Music - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 9:11am
 
The 1960s - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 9:03am
 
The war on funk is over! - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 8:57am
 
Play the Blues - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 8:56am
 
Prog Rockers Anonymous - Ohmsen - Oct 24, 2020 - 7:40am
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Looting & vandalism isn't protest Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Post to this Topic
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 4:50pm

 buddy wrote:


 BlueHeronDruid wrote:


 R_P wrote:
 
What? Right-wing extremists in our military and police forces? My word.

 

When I went to boot camp back in the day, a good third of my 80-man company had joined the Navy as a condition of avoiding going to jail.
 
Yep, very common in those days.  Little bit harder to get in now.
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 3:45pm



 BlueHeronDruid wrote:


 R_P wrote:
 
What? Right-wing extremists in our military and police forces? My word.

 

When I went to boot camp back in the day, a good third of my 80-man company had joined the Navy as a condition of avoiding going to jail.
BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar

Location: planting flowers


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 2:39pm



 R_P wrote:
 
What? Right-wing extremists in our military and police forces? My word.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 2:26pm

Army reservist, Navy and Air Force vets plotted to terrorize Vegas protests, prosecutors charge
LizK

LizK Avatar

Location: West Florida, where the gators roam


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 11:04am



 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
KarmaKarma wrote:

NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Regardless of your political affiliation, regardless of your cultural values, regardless of what socks you wear… here are some lessons from teaching special needs kids:

  • Civilized behavior between kids hangs on a silken thread.
  • Harmony in the classroom depends upon some kind of accord, something fundamental that the kids all buy into.
  • When kids opt out of this accord you have lost the very thing that binds the class together.
  • Whether their grievance is real or just perceived doesn’t matter a rat’s arse. Both cases need addressing equally by the teacher when it comes down to it. All that matters is whether the kid buys into the fundamental accord or not.
  • If the kid's grievance is real, then, if you sincere about harmony in the classroom, you should rectify the grievance.
  • If the kid's grievance is only perceived, then the failure is one of communication and you should rectify how you all communicate.
  • Meeting violence with violence does neither, but merely entrenches those who opt out of the group in their belief that the class is not for them.
  • Sanctions are a valid tool, but they only work with the right communication. Your ultimate goal is to get the kids to internalise the rules of social cohesion.
I vote we assign Trump to teaching special needs kids for a while till he learns the tricks of the trade.
——————————————————————————————————————————————— 
Trump, as even his most fervent enablers now concede, doesn't listen, empathize,  learn, accommodate, adapt or change.  Another 5 minutes , another 4 years, will bring no civilizing the Orange-Haired One.  And I, who did not, would not, ever, vote for him, am now becoming appalled, stunned, at the performance of Bill Barr.  '

“And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, / Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?”  This administration is so singularly horrible, that we have no minor clue of what hellish invention they will birth next.

 


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 10:25am

 KarmaKarma wrote:
Thanks for reminding us once again of the true shallowness of your intellect.

Don't forget to wipe the orange off your snout...
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 10:19am



 R_P wrote:
 KarmaKarma wrote:
The DOJ's press conference underway right now, and AG Barr just named Antifa as one entity plotting out acts of violence.

Try harder to keep up.
 
Yes, you two have something in common...


 

Thanks for reminding us once again of the true shallowness of your intellect.


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 10:03am

 KarmaKarma wrote:
The DOJ's press conference underway right now, and AG Barr just named Antifa as one entity plotting out acts of violence.

Try harder to keep up.
 
Yes, you two have something in common...


KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 9:59am



 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
This stuff about ANTIFA is real.  They are getting more organized every time they appear.  ANTIFA is mostly bored rich white kids who have been coddled and protected from consequences of their actions by their rich parents and have become amoral about what they do.  They are opportunists yes, but more than that, they are thugs on call and answer the bell when it is rung.  Who is ringing the bell ? Got me, but I sure would like to find out.
 
But you already knew "who's ringing the bell!"

kurtster wrote:
Fuck em all, let em swing with a loose knot.

ANTIFA (...) a wing of the blue party (...) are like coyotes. They should be shot on sight.

White House Forced to Retract Claim Viral Videos Prove Antifa Is Plotting Violence

 

The DOJ's press conference underway right now, and AG Barr just named Antifa as one entity plotting out acts of violence.

Try harder to keep up.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 9:48am

 kurtster wrote:
This stuff about ANTIFA is real.  They are getting more organized every time they appear.  ANTIFA is mostly bored rich white kids who have been coddled and protected from consequences of their actions by their rich parents and have become amoral about what they do.  They are opportunists yes, but more than that, they are thugs on call and answer the bell when it is rung.  Who is ringing the bell ? Got me, but I sure would like to find out.
 
But you already knew "who's ringing the bell!"

kurtster wrote:
Fuck em all, let em swing with a loose knot.

ANTIFA (...) a wing of the blue party (...) are like coyotes. They should be shot on sight.

White House Forced to Retract Claim Viral Videos Prove Antifa Is Plotting Violence

KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 9:41am



 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:


so, we agree on fundamentals. Who'd have thunk it. So, are you going to sit down and listen, or keep parading mean boys with their mean toys?

 


NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 8:37am

 KarmaKarma wrote:


 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Regardless of your political affiliation, regardless of your cultural values, regardless of what socks you wear… here are some lessons from teaching special needs kids:

  • Civilized behavior between kids hangs on a silken thread.  
  • Harmony in the classroom depends upon some kind of accord, something fundamental that the kids all buy into. 
  • When kids opt out of this accord you have lost the very thing that binds the class together.  
  • Whether their grievance is real or just perceived doesn’t matter a rat’s arse. Both cases need addressing equally by the teacher when it comes down to it. All that matters is whether the kid buys into the fundamental accord or not. 
  • If the kid's grievance is real, then, if you sincere about harmony in the classroom, you should rectify the grievance. 
  • If the kid's grievance is only perceived, then the failure is one of communication and you should rectify how you all communicate.
  • Meeting violence with violence does neither, but merely entrenches those who opt out of the group in their belief that the class is not for them. 
  • Sanctions are a valid tool, but they only work with the right communication. Your ultimate goal is to get the kids to internalise the rules of social cohesion.
I vote we assign Trump to teaching special needs kids for a while till he learns the tricks of the trade.



 

Nice. Good stuff. The cure isn't the application of just one solution.  
 
so, we agree on fundamentals. Who'd have thunk it. So, are you going to sit down and listen, or keep parading mean boys with their mean toys?
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 6:24am



 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Regardless of your political affiliation, regardless of your cultural values, regardless of what socks you wear… here are some lessons from teaching special needs kids:

  • Civilized behavior between kids hangs on a silken thread.  
  • Harmony in the classroom depends upon some kind of accord, something fundamental that the kids all buy into. 
  • When kids opt out of this accord you have lost the very thing that binds the class together.  
  • Whether their grievance is real or just perceived doesn’t matter a rat’s arse. Both cases need addressing equally by the teacher when it comes down to it. All that matters is whether the kid buys into the fundamental accord or not. 
  • If the kid's grievance is real, then, if you sincere about harmony in the classroom, you should rectify the grievance. 
  • If the kid's grievance is only perceived, then the failure is one of communication and you should rectify how you all communicate.
  • Meeting violence with violence does neither, but merely entrenches those who opt out of the group in their belief that the class is not for them. 
  • Sanctions are a valid tool, but they only work with the right communication. Your ultimate goal is to get the kids to internalise the rules of social cohesion.
I vote we assign Trump to teaching special needs kids for a while till he learns the tricks of the trade.



 

Nice. Good stuff. The cure isn't the application of just one solution.  
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:56am

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

Good beginning. 
 
Thank you.
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:54am

 kurtster wrote:

People will be held accountable when caught. 

That includes the police when they cross lines. 

It is the only way to make any dialogue that would follow meaningful.

And believable.
 
Good beginning. 
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:41am

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

Very true.. so when the talking starts, what's your line?
 
People will be held accountable when caught. 

That includes the police when they cross lines. 

It is the only way to make any dialogue that would follow meaningful.

And believable.
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:37am

 kurtster wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, the level of violence and looting has slowed dramatically since Trump made that threat.

Got to calm things down before any talking begins.
 
Very true.. so when the talking starts, what's your line?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:26am

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

You are being too simplistic. Think wider. It's not just sticks and carrots and you are not above them in the hierarchy to wield any sticks or offer any carrots anyway.

You are talking about your fellow compatriots. Your neighbours. The people you want to live with. Throwing a hissy fit is not my idea of a solution. Got anything more creative than bootcamp?
 
In case you haven't noticed, the level of violence and looting has slowed dramatically since Trump made that threat.

Got to calm things down before any talking begins.
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:24am

 kurtster wrote:

No, I'm concentrating on a deterrent to these activities. 

Gotta stop it from going on first. 

That should be priority 1.  Everything else follows.

You want to let it run its course on its own until everyone gets too tired to do anymore violence and looting or there is nothing more left to break or loot and talk about why during the clean up ?
 
You are being too simplistic. Think wider. It's not just sticks and carrots and you are not above them in the hierarchy to wield any sticks or offer any carrots anyway.

You are talking about your fellow compatriots. Your neighbours. The people you want to live with. Throwing a hissy fit is not my idea of a solution. Got anything more creative than bootcamp?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 4, 2020 - 5:11am

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

Looting is a crime. So is vandalism. The perpetrators should be brought to justice. No argument. 
Pretty sure the police are able and willing to find the perpetrators and probably will, over time. 

But by concentrating on the punishment, you are (willingly?) ignoring the cause.. how did it come to this? Why would anyone want to step outside the normal boundaries and (gulp) disrespect the law and (gulp) steal property?  You might find it in your own self-interest to address that question with a bit more nuance. There is a lot more at stake here than a few Rolex watches.

 
No, I'm concentrating on a deterrent to these activities. 

Gotta stop it from going on first. 

That should be priority 1.  Everything else follows.

You want to let it run its course on its own until everyone gets too tired to do anymore violence and looting or there is nothing more left to break or take and talk about why during the clean up ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next